Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 28, 2013 1:37 PM

Sep 2009
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Wow, tugging on heartstrings much? Poor Noi and Nikaido both met up with their “boyfriends," though I can’t tell who is in more danger. Sure Noi has her head hands full with zombie Shin, but K-Kaiman?? I honestly never thought we’d see him again! Could this be a Devil playing tricks, or Ai himself trying to get Nikaido to let her guard down?

With nearly everyone either cut up by Shin or stolen by Ai, there’s such huge disparity in the surviving teams right now. You got powerhouses like Noi and Nikaido on the one hand, and on the other you have the Dokuga and Ebisu team, whose only usefulness so far seems to be protecting Kikurage. Dokuga/Ebisu’s disadvantage against either Ai or the Devils is downright staggering and kinda scary to think about. I really hope they’ll be okay somehow. T_T
Jun 28, 2013 8:00 PM

Apr 2013
I...I..I'm shocked as well! Uuuwaaaah! Dorohedoro is always so dazing!
So let's think about it...hum...Where do you think En's tumor devil is? As I see it, Ai probably uses the zombies as an extension of his own senses so, he must have known En's devil was with Fujita. Add to that Fujita was one of the first to get killed, we get a ridiculously OP antagonist.
Another loose thought: Haru mentioned something about what lies deep down in Ai, and is somehow related to the Hole existence it self...could it be that Hole might have or be a living thing, just like the Demon's house? Could it be that being caused the rain in the magic user's words?
Ahaha, lots of questions. I wonder what exactly makes a magic user change into a demon, seeing Nikaido's case.
Jun 28, 2013 9:05 PM

Sep 2009
With someone like Shin, who got zombiefied while still alive, I don't think he's just an extension of Ai's senses like the other zombies are. I think he straight up has Kai's consciousness, and Fujita basically told Kai directly that he has En's tumor. I would expect him to take the tumor with him along with Fujita and Tetsujo's living heads.

As for what's inside Ai, I wrote a long theory about it back when 114 came out, if you're curious. But, essentially, I think the mud/sludge that's inside Ai is a primeval entity native to Hole. And, right now, Sludge-Ai seems to be trying to turn everything into "Hole" as one huge superconscious, superpowerful being that's fused into the Central Department Store and everyone in it, with possible intent to spread beyond the confines of the lake of refuse.

This lives up to the theorized namesake of the series: “dorohedoro" can be read as both “doro-hedoro" ("mud-sludge") and “doro-he-doro" ("from mud to mud"). It’s a reminder that the sludgy lake mud is the driving force behind even Ai. The story was launched by the mud, continued through Ai’s struggle, and is climaxing with the resurgence of mud consciousness. Maybe the mud will ultimately go back to where it came from.

Oh and, as for Kaiman and the devil tail she saw (spoiler for length of theory):
Jun 29, 2013 5:08 AM

Apr 2009
That whole clipped spikes deal made me curious as well.
Interesting theories, Neiru2013!
Jun 29, 2013 8:14 AM

Jun 2012
Nikaido time travel theory, huh? That's a pretty interesting one and it does make sense to some degree, but that would mean I have to completely reshape my theory about the CDS. Up until now, I've treated the CDS as a closed box that nothing can enter or leave, but if Nikaido managed to leave this place and come back with a revived Kaiman, then my theory is completely false.

We know that it's not impossible for different entities spawned from Ai to be present at once, like Kai and Aikawa being around at the same time period, which allows Kaiman and the "Monster-Kai" to be in the CDS at the same time. But I just can't manage to wrap my head around all of this at this point. What I'm looking for answers for in the future are:
-Who is this Kaiman?
-Who brought this Kaiman here?

For now, I'm going to stop theorizing, because I've gotten to a point where I can't form any solid theory. If the Devil House manages to get into the CDS, I'm going to stop treating the CDS like a closed box and things will probably make more sense by that point, but for now, I strongly doubt that Nikaido can time travel and teleport at the same time, under the assumption that she hasn't become a devil by that point and that she hasn't been reunited with her teleporting friend (sorry, his name escapes me).

Obviously, I've based this theory while eliminating two massive factors/possibilities. However, I do have considered the time travel theory, but for now, I'll let the story pan out for me to eliminate or substitute factors for each theory. On second thought, I haven't even really formed any theory at this point, but just put matters into perspective and speculated. My gut is telling me that Haru is playing a part in Kaiman coming back, but that contradicts my closed box theory, and just doesn't make sense, since Haru is in the Devil House.

Anyhow, excessively long rambling over now, and all I can say is that I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT CHAPTER! I need more clues :(
HolybaptiserJun 29, 2013 9:44 AM
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jun 29, 2013 10:13 AM

Feb 2013
Just caught up to the manga and what a great place to catch up to. This manga is awesome!!
Jun 30, 2013 3:54 AM

Sep 2009
Supermacaquecool said:
could it be that Hole might have or be a living thing, just like the Demon's house? Could it be that being caused the rain in the magic user's words?

Ai said that when he dove into the sludge lake he felt as if he became Hole itself. And he did absorb Hole's essence, probably by absorbing the sludge entity. Ai has an entire warped replica of Hole inside his dimensional distortion. I believe this is where Kai gets his innate rain aura. And I believe that Ai made it rain in the magic user world by projecting this rainy city beyond himself when all or part of his dimensional distortion collapsed during his vol 15 transformation. (Much longer and more detailed description with pictures HERE.)
Jul 1, 2013 4:21 AM

Apr 2009
I've just re-read chapter 117 and that theory with future Nikaido time travel to drop Kaiman in the Central Department Store looks even more possible to me now. Let's just take a good look at the mysterious hairy tale owner:

There is something peculiar in that silhouette besides the tail.
Is it just me or...
Jul 1, 2013 12:14 PM

Sep 2009
Oh yeah! That would explain why it's so bulky.

But you know, if this Kaiman is real, it makes me very worried. Why bring back Kaiman at all? Why revive a dead head when you can cure the real thing? Could this mean Ai can't be saved, like Haru said? And if Ai can't be saved, could this mean Shin can't be either? (Well at least Shin isn't in a flesh-fused Devil suit.)
Jul 2, 2013 6:40 AM

Apr 2009
If I remember correctly, Kaiman only had his magic immunity due to Curse trapped inside him, so no Curse, no immunity.
Jul 2, 2013 10:13 AM

Apr 2009
Yet it is not Kaiman from the past as far as I understand.
Jul 2, 2013 11:49 AM

Sep 2009
It is Kaiman from the past in the sense that it is Kaiman's head from volume 2. But this is the head that Curse dropped at the battlefield after Kaiman's fight with En. Curse himself left, so this head would not have Curse in it.

I'm pretty sure Kaiman's magic immunity was caused by him having *multiple* layers of magic on him - not just Curse, but also Ebisu's lizard morph - so I wouldn't think he'd have magic immunity now. Then again, Curse became unable to kill Kai the moment Kai used Ebisu's magic, so maybe any two magics in one place is enough. That is, if someone tries to cast magic on this Kaiman, who already has Ebisu's magic on him, maybe that's enough to cancel it out. But if that's true, morphed Ebisu should be immune too? D: Guess we'll have to wait and see...
Jul 2, 2013 12:17 PM

Apr 2009
Actually, yes, in volume 10 Kaiman still was immune to magic even without Curse inside, so it's my bad, guess I should reread the whole thing once again =).
Jul 2, 2013 12:21 PM

Sep 2009
Volume 10 Kaiman still had Curse inside him. Curse only left after En killed Kaiman thinking he was permanently dead. Now, Kaiman did lose Ebisu's layer of magic mid battle and regained Aikawa's human face. At this point he only had Curse's layer of magic on him. But it's unclear if he was immune to En's magic at this point or not, since Nikaido body blocked En's smoke when Aikawa tried to charge him. (The mushrooms that sprouted from Kaiman/Aikawa were due to En drifting spores into his body and having those grow, so no direct magic onto Kaiman required.)
Jul 2, 2013 12:59 PM

Apr 2009
Oh, I really should reread it, I'm jumping back and forth. My initial point was, one of Curse's special powers is that he returns everything thrown at him with ill intent, so Kaiman's magic resistance may be Curse-connected. Also I can recall Curse bouncing back katana and knife attacks right back at corresponding attackers, yet right now I can't recall a single instance of Curse being attacked with magic throughout the manga, so I'm not completely sure. Though once it ate a box full of magic smoke bottles no problem.
Jul 2, 2013 3:25 PM

Sep 2009
It's a bit of an obscure point, but when Chota was explaining why a reporter smoke blasted by En was immune to En's magic, he also explicitly referenced Kaiman. I think this makes the most sense. (Bonus: Chota also explained why Kai got amnesia after using Ebisu's smoke.)
Feb 24, 2017 8:31 AM

Dec 2015
Neiru2013 said:
Supermacaquecool said:
could it be that Hole might have or be a living thing, just like the Demon's house? Could it be that being caused the rain in the magic user's words?

Ai said that when he dove into the sludge lake he felt as if he became Hole itself. And he did absorb Hole's essence, probably by absorbing the sludge entity. Ai has an entire warped replica of Hole inside his dimensional distortion. I believe this is where Kai gets his innate rain aura. And I believe that Ai made it rain in the magic user world by projecting this rainy city beyond himself when all or part of his dimensional distortion collapsed during his vol 15 transformation. (Much longer and more detailed description with pictures HERE.)

I know I'm four years late and I haven't checked whether you still care as much about Dorohedoro but I just skipped over your analysis and took a look at your website and I have to say it's really amazing and very well written!!
After I've caught up with the other chapters, I'll definetly read all your posts, check out your blog some more!

Thank you for writing those!
Jun 2, 2017 1:20 AM

Mar 2017
Okay so I'm confused lol

Why did Nikaido see a Devil's tail if it ended up being Caiman?!
Nov 10, 2018 8:42 AM

Oct 2014
Is kaiman really back? or is this another illusion?
Nov 22, 2018 1:25 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Man, what a delicious and crazy surprise. This really is the most chaotic shambles. I love Dorohedoro even more.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 23, 2019 5:51 AM

May 2016
Amongst all the chaos, Kaiman just decides to pop out of nowhere and baffle even the likes of Nikaido lmao

Didn't expect that to happen at all.

Feb 9, 2021 2:11 PM

Mar 2020
DON'T CALL IT A COMEBACK I BEEN HERE FOR YEARS
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Aug 26, 2022 11:13 AM

Nov 2017
KAIMAN IS BACK! WTF? I never thought I'd see the day!

I guess the lake must've sorted out his soul from 'the thing inside him'. So the cursed Ai/Aikawa have separated out back into the cursed Kaiman.

Maybe Kaiman is just an extra head at this point? Not sure, but it's still great to have the lizard boy back.
Sep 26, 2023 12:29 PM

Aug 2022
Kaiman is back? What happened?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dorohedoro Chapter 64 Discussion

gally_exe - Mar 12, 2011

12 by Romeo »»
Apr 24, 2:26 PM

Poll: » Dorohedoro Chapter 60 Discussion

Pirating_Ninja - Apr 30, 2013

12 by Romeo »»
Apr 22, 3:28 PM

Poll: » Dorohedoro Chapter 59 Discussion

Pirating_Ninja - Apr 30, 2013

7 by Romeo »»
Apr 22, 3:07 PM

Poll: » Dorohedoro Chapter 55 Discussion

Pirating_Ninja - Apr 29, 2013

9 by Romeo »»
Apr 22, 1:21 PM

Poll: » Dorohedoro Chapter 20 Discussion

Pirating_Ninja - Apr 28, 2013

7 by Romeo »»
Apr 14, 4:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.