Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 21, 2013 3:10 AM

Jul 2012
I think this has been discusses before, but new people come old people go.
So opinions shift, and in the last couple of months it doesn‘t seem like this has been discussed.
At least I wasn‘t in a discussion about this.
I bring up this topic because a Youtuber by the name of Arkada (Glass Reflection) made a video about it >>>

He includes only Americans or people from native English speaking countries such as Australia or Canada. So it doesn‘t directly affect me.

Anyways, he makes following Statements:

1) Illegal Streaming and Downloading in USA(and AUS, CA etc) is not necessary, because of legal alternatives which are also free (crunchyroll, hulu and others)

2) Illegal Streaming and Downloading is „morally“ wrong, and you shouldn‘t do it.

3) Even if you buy the BluRay etc. later it‘s still bad to use illegal services.

4) Anime is not expensive, buying things is possible
4.2) Hobbies are supposed to be costly, you cannot have a Hobby that doesn‘t cost money. Anime is also a Hobby so expecting it to be for free is foolish

5) (partially) Illegal streaming and downloading harms the Industry.

I include some of my own thoughts on this now and then I want to know what MAL Users think about this topic.

1) I am not american, I have no access to these services and I don‘t see a good alternative for me but to download it illegally besides actually buying it.
1.2) If I was american I think Streaming in general is not as good as downloading, thus Crunchyroll and so on are not services I find more beneficial than torrents.

2) The moral argument is always a weak argument, it’s about what has the most benefits and the least downsides on how i decide what I do (also my preferences which are defined by my upbringing and education and experience and so on). He might find it morally wrong, but to use it as an argument to convince someone else not to do it is weak.
Some say “homosexuality is morally wrong” but that does not explain why and make homosexuals heterosexual.

3) Not only is this the moral argument again, but I also don’t see how that is wrong either. If I end up buying the stuff later anyways, no harm was done.

4) What is expensive is defined by the individual, he mentions schoolkids not having enough money to buy DVDs and Blurays. I think Anime is really expensive if you buy a lot of it, and some shows are super expensive just on their own.
4.2) I disagree, there are hobbies that are free. I also think many anime watchers are very casual about it and just wouldn’t watch anime at all if there was no online streaming for it. Having a free alternative to get into something is a good way to have more people starting that hobby and some day actually pay for it.

5) While he does say he is not sure about this, I do as well. Anime are first and foremost targeted at japanese people. Most anime do not get licensed outside of Japan, don’t get a dub and don’t air in Television. So European, American and Australian viewers are not potential customers and thus are not included into the sales calculation. They are extra revenue.

I will add more thoughts when we have more discussion, so what is your stand on this?
OrsoniusJun 21, 2013 3:14 AM
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Pages (25) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 21, 2013 3:23 AM

Nov 2011
He... I've never paid for watch anime and I don't think I do.
If I have the option to watch it for free, why would I pay?
Besides most anime don't deserve a cent.
I luv u
Jun 21, 2013 3:35 AM

May 2013
Am I the only one who think that illegal streaming and download actually help promoting anime?
Do people just randomly buy BD without knowing how good the show is?
Jun 21, 2013 3:39 AM

Aug 2011
Tell him to get back to me when:

1. Crunchyroll stream all airing series
2. When Crunchyroll stop region locking content
Jun 21, 2013 3:39 AM

Feb 2008
Is it really illegal if you watch TV-rips? Everyone is free to record their favorite show. If they share it for free it's no big deal. DVD/BD rips are a different thing though. Sharing those is illegal.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jun 21, 2013 3:45 AM

Apr 2011
I really do not care to be brutally honest. I mean, I DON'T have the money, and because of that he wants me to wait till I watch a show. I'm not gonna do that.
Jun 21, 2013 3:49 AM

Jan 2009
Motivation
Some of the motives for engaging in the illegal activity of copyright infringement are the following:[7]

Pricing – unwillingness or inability to pay the price requested by the legitimate sellers

Unavailability – no legitimate sellers providing the product in the country of the end-user: not yet launched there, already withdrawn from sales, never to be sold there, geographical restrictions on online distribution and international shipping

Usefulness – the legitimate product comes with various means (DRM, region lock, DVD region code, Blu-ray region code) of restricting legitimate use (backups, usage on devices of different vendors, offline usage) or comes with annoying non-skippable advertisements and anti-piracy disclaimers, which are removed in the pirated product making it more desirable for the end-user

Shopping experience – no legitimate sellers providing the product with the required quality through online distribution and through a shopping system with the required level of user-friendliness

Anonymity - Downloading works does not require identification whereas downloads directly from the website of the copyright owner often require a valid email address and/ or other credentials

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement
Jun 21, 2013 3:55 AM

Jul 2012
ZetaZaku said:
Is it really illegal if you watch TV-rips? Everyone is free to record their favorite show. If they share it for free it's no big deal. DVD/BD rips are a different thing though. Sharing those is illegal.

This is something I also think is not true.

Shows that air NOW and are put the next day online for download, how is that supposed to be illegal?

Yeah downloading BD rips and so on, that is illegal. But not watching airing shows.
Jun 21, 2013 3:59 AM

Dec 2012
Nidstang said:
I really do not care to be brutally honest. I mean, I DON'T have the money, and because of that he wants me to wait till I watch a show. I'm not gonna do that.

This. That prick's parents may finance his anime obsession, but not everyone is that lucky. I have to work for my money. And working is fucking hard.

Anyway:
1) Illegal Streaming and Downloading in USA(and AUS, CA etc) is not necessary, because of legal alternatives which are also free (crunchyroll, hulu and others)
As if those alternatives are as useful, or high quality, or comprehensive.

2) Illegal Streaming and Downloading is „morally“ wrong, and you shouldn‘t do it.

Why? You can't just pull that out of your ass without defining morality.

3) Even if you buy the BluRay etc. later it‘s still bad to use illegal services.
There's nothing inherently good about laws.

This kid is clearly rich and not the one paying for this shit. It's ridiculously expensive. You know how much a madoka magica bluray boxset costs?
4.2) Hobbies are supposed to be costly,

Not necessarily.
you cannot have a Hobby that doesn‘t cost money.

That's funny because I do. It's called watching anime. I do it and I don't pay a cent. Haha.

Ignoring the last part. Dumb point.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jun 21, 2013 4:07 AM

Jul 2012
So apparently the MAL community is pretty protective of their illegal downloading habbit.

Are there any more crusaders like him?
Why does he give a shit about what other people do? It's not like it affects him.
He can buy his shit and leave everyone alone.

Also I think thanks to torrents and streams sales for many titles go up.

Look at Shingeki no Kyoujin. It airs right now, people can watch it thanks to torrents and streams, the sales for not only preorders but also the Manga has gone up greatly.

And something else has been mentioned what I think is true.

There is no inherent benefit in watching it on "legal streaming sites"

A) Do I think streaming is inferior compared to downloading (or buying) so Crunchy Roll doesn't offer me a better alternative to Torrents
B) Are other streaming sites for free as well, and have a larger pool on what I can watch, without region restriction
C) Fansubs can have their benefits over Crunchsubs.
Jun 21, 2013 4:11 AM

Sep 2012
I will buy something as a way of showing appreciation if I really, really liked it, and if I can watch something legally for free I will. But he kind of seems to be making the argument that if I live in America, I have a lot of anime at my disposal legally and should be satisfied. A lot of the really good stuff hasn't been licensed and isn't available on Crunchyroll, and I'm not inclined to wait for it since I'll probably be waiting in vain.

Orsonius said:
Look at Shingeki no Kyoujin. It airs right now, people can watch it thanks to torrents and streams, the sales for not only preorders but also the Manga has gone up greatly.
There was actually an episode of South Park about this. In the commentary Matt Stone and Trey Parker said that people illegally downloading their show actually helped them out because of all the exposure they got from it.
Jun 21, 2013 4:14 AM

Apr 2011
Orsonius said:
So apparently the MAL community is pretty protective of their illegal downloading habbit.

Are there any more crusaders like him?
Why does he give a shit about what other people do? It's not like it affects him.
He can buy his shit and leave everyone alone.

Also I think thanks to torrents and streams sales for many titles go up.

And something else has been mentioned what I think is true.

There is no inherent benefit in watching it on "legal streaming sites"

A) Do I think streaming is inferior compared to downloading (or buying) so Crunchy Roll doesn't offer me a better alternative to Torrents
B) Are other streaming sites for free as well, and have a larger pool on what I can watch, without region restriction
C) Fansubs can have their benefits over Crunchsubs.

Everyone has some kind of paranoid side of themselves lol.
Jun 21, 2013 4:17 AM

Apr 2011
nub said:
But breakin' the law feels so good...

It does, doesn't it?
Jun 21, 2013 4:18 AM

Mar 2013
He waited that long to finish Gundam Wing?

Anyways, money is tight and not all legal streaming services have the show I want to watch. No, I don't need to watch it, but I want to watch it. That's why I go to torrents/illegal streaming. Though, if the show happens to be on CR, then sure, I'll watch it there. With buying the anime, I'm not fortunate enough to have a lot of money floating around to spend on the shows that I liked.
Jun 21, 2013 4:23 AM

Dec 2012
Orsonius said:

He likes to feel superior and this is all he has.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jun 21, 2013 4:25 AM

Apr 2011
I never realized how many there were that hated Arkada. How amusing.
Jun 21, 2013 4:28 AM

Jul 2012
Nidstang said:

I never hated him, I just find him unpleasant, his reviews are never really critical, he seems to be happy with everything. And his jokes are vicariously embarrassing.

Also he wears clothing like he is cosplaying on some anime convention, which makes him look like a douche.
Jun 21, 2013 4:29 AM

May 2012
Screw that guy. I stream almost everything I watch illegally and then buy the DVD after if I feel that it's worth it. And the only reason I can afford to do that is because I'm a teenager with a part time job who has every living necessity provided for her. Not a lot of people can afford to buy everything they watch, so I say to pirate on!
Jun 21, 2013 4:31 AM

Jul 2012
RarityRoyale said:
Screw that guy. I stream almost everything I watch illegally and then buy the DVD after if I feel that it's worth it. And the only reason I can afford to do that is because I'm a teenager with a part time job who has every living necessity provided for her. Not a lot of people can afford to buy everything they watch, so I say to pirate on!

Try torrenting ;D
Streaming sucks
Jun 21, 2013 4:38 AM

Feb 2013
Orsonius said:

That’s my point exactly. It has been exposed to such a wide range of people that it is going to be spread around even more, which means people are more likely to invest into the series once it is done. It’s the law of averages, the more people that watch it, the more people are going to buy the DVD/blue rays, figures, cosplay etc.

So this guy isn't watching the show now, he is just waiting for it to come out on blue ray?

He also talks about how anime is cheaper comparatively, but it is still very very expensive all together. Paying $35 for 12 episodes isn't cheap at all (even though for the amount of entertainment you get for your money is good), by the time you buy a whole series you're paying over $100. How many series and how many movies are you going to pay over $100 for? It’s a wealthy guy with lots of wall scrolls and extra cash that can spend it on all that stuff.
Jun 21, 2013 4:41 AM

Apr 2011
Orsonius said:
Nidstang said:

I never hated him, I just find him unpleasant, his reviews are never really critical, he seems to be happy with everything. And his jokes are vicariously embarrassing.

Also he wears clothing like he is cosplaying on some anime convention, which makes him look like a douche.

I fully agree with you. I don't like it when they entitle themselves as "Anime critics" either. And who cares about the fucking dub?! That's not a factor that decides if the show is good or bad.
Jun 21, 2013 4:46 AM

Jul 2012
Mem521 said:
Orsonius said:
about how anime is cheaper comparatively, but it is still very very expensive all together. Paying $35 for 12 episodes isn't cheap at all (even though for the amount of entertainment you get for your money is good), by the time you buy a whole series you're paying over $100. How many series and how many movies are you going to pay over $100 for? It’s a wealthy guy with lots of wall scrolls and extra cash that can spend it on all that stuff.

Don't forget he has no other hobby but anime apparently.

I for example spend all my hard earned money on Music equipment, like Cabs, Amps and Guitars. Those are fucking expensive.
I also buy a lot of other things I either do as a hobby or need that have no free alternative.

If I'd spend it all on anime, I basically would have to give up on everything else.
Jun 21, 2013 4:49 AM

Jul 2012
Nidstang said:
And who cares about the fucking dub?! That's not a factor that decides if the show is good or bad.

Oh man you have no idea how much I hate that.
Maybe the only thing I really hate about him.
Why is he so obsessed with dubs.

First of: Not everyone is american or native english speaker.
These people don't give a shit about the american dub, they don't care about the voiceactors or how well it sounds.

American VA < Japanese.
Because it's fucking japanese in the first place. Watching shows dubbed is retarded, in any medium. Not only does meaning get lost, the actors also convey emotions with their original voices.

Mostly american dubs for anime sound really awkward because 'murricah! Everyone sounds so damn off.

Argh.
Jun 21, 2013 4:50 AM

Apr 2011
Orsonius said:
Nidstang said:
And who cares about the fucking dub?! That's not a factor that decides if the show is good or bad.

Oh man you have no idea how much I hate that.
Maybe the only thing I really hate about him.
Why is he so obsessed with dubs.

First of: Not everyone is american or native english speaker.
These people don't give a shit about the american dub, they don't care about the voiceactors or how well it sounds.

American VA < Japanese.
Because it's fucking japanese in the first place. Watching shows dubbed is retarded, in any medium. Not only does meaning get lost, the actors also convey emotions with their original voices.

Mostly american dubs for anime sound really awkward because 'murricah! Everyone sounds so damn off.

Argh.

So true. If there is anything I ever feel like ranting about, it's that.
Jun 21, 2013 4:59 AM

Oct 2012
I don't think streaming/DL'ing all the time is all that good but if you accidentally buy something shit then that's going to be your problem as well.
I'll watch it on CR if it's there. I'll DL if that's the only option. Funi blocks almost everything from Australia and I was only able to get through Baccano, MushiShi and Baka to Test at the moment, so no choice.

Anime can be expensive and cheap though, that's 1 point I agree with. Although it can be hard to locate. If it wasn't for my dad having some random meeting I'd still buy Bakemonogatari CDs for $50 for 5 fucking episodes. Finding the new Asian Media store allows me to buy the whole collection for just a 25, subbed in multiple languages.

But then again I can't drive an hour and a half to get that.

Despite being popular, Anime licensed in Aus are usually expensive.
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Jun 21, 2013 5:19 AM

Mar 2012
mitch3315 said:
Tell him to get back to me when:

1. Crunchyroll stream all airing series
2. When Crunchyroll stop region locking content
He mentioned at the start that it was mostly aimed at people living in the US so he doesn't touch upon that subject.

Anyway bottom line, downloading and illegal streaming isn't the problem. It's the fact that people aren't buying anime as a result. It's very much possible to download and buy anime. It's just that a lot people take the easy way out because they think their dollar won't make a difference. But when you consider there's about million other people who think the exact same way as you, there's definitely some amount of money that the creators are entitled to but won't be getting.

People say that we don't make a difference but it's been proven time and time again that we do. Just look at Watamote. Or Trigun. Or The Big O. Of course there are definitely circumstances where buying anime is not an option. But judging by the responses, I'd say a large majority of you do not fall into that category.

As for where I stand, I download a majority of my anime (You tell me how to buy Heartcatch Precure and I'll be right on board) but I still actively buy anime when I'm not spending money on other things. I also have a CR membership and watch anime on there every now and then

However, I find illegal streaming to be the absolute worst option of watching anime. Not only does it not support the creators but it looks fucking horrible. Crunchyroll is fine because of the higher quality video and HD but I can't fathom why anyone would want to stream anime like that. If you aren't intending on supporting the work of the creators, you could at least download a high quality version of it so you can appreciate the work they put into it.
Jun 21, 2013 5:21 AM

Nov 2012
Inlegal downloading bost anime and other media sales.

It was already touched in a UE raprot, so what's to argue about?
Jun 21, 2013 5:24 AM

Aug 2012
Those "legal alternatives" not only lack series, but also upload episodes about 1-3weeks after the illegal ones.
+subs>dubs
and from what I've seen, legal streams support dubs over subs.. so.. it just gets even harder....
not to mention unless you illegally take advantage of their free trial offers, I don't recall hulu and crunchyroll being "free"
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Jun 21, 2013 5:31 AM

Aug 2010
Mem521 said:
He also talks about how anime is cheaper comparatively, but it is still very very expensive all together. Paying $35 for 12 episodes isn't cheap at all (even though for the amount of entertainment you get for your money is good), by the time you buy a whole series you're paying over $100. How many series and how many movies are you going to pay over $100 for? It’s a wealthy guy with lots of wall scrolls and extra cash that can spend it on all that stuff.

Just curious, how much would you sell 12 episodes for? Plus I doubt what he meant was that you had to buy every single anime you want to watch.
Jun 21, 2013 5:36 AM

Jul 2012
SaberRitsu said:

Anyway bottom line, downloading and illegal streaming isn't the problem. It's the fact that people aren't buying anime as a result. It's very much possible to download and buy anime. It's just that a lot people take the easy way out because they think their dollar won't make a difference. But when you consider there's about million other people who think the exact same way as you, there's definitely some amount of money that the creators are entitled to but won't be getting.

I don't think that is the case.
People who don't buy anime, don't buy anime.
If they couldn't watch it, they just wouldn't watch it.
I'm not convinced that the free availability of anime is reducing sales.

I also don't think that european/american sales are relevant to the japanese producers. Those come after it already aired, and made to a bluray.
The creators have to target their own audience first, anime is not hollywood. Movies and shows are not made for a world wide audience.
Just look how much highschool anime comes out that panders to japanese otaku. Americans and so on are not their target.

SaberRitsu said:

People say that we don't make a difference but it's been proven time and time again that we do. Just look at Watamote. Or Trigun. Or The Big O. Of course there are definitely circumstances where buying anime is not an option. But judging by the responses, I'd say a large majority of you do not fall into that category.

People who are willing to buy, buy. They make a difference. The rest doesn't.
People who are not willing to buy, don't buy.
I wouldn't watch anime if I wasn't able to watch it on anime stream sites some years ago.
The only way anime was exposed to me was through television at first. I didn't pay for it there either.

SaberRitsu said:

As for where I stand, I download a majority of my anime (You tell me how to buy Heartcatch Precure and I'll be right on board) but I still actively buy anime when I'm not spending money on other things. I also have a CR membership and watch anime on there every now and then

I think it's good you buy it, and I encourage everyone to watch on CR and buy their anime if they can and want. But I would never condemn people for not buying it, even if I was some buyfag myself.
Helping the industry is always a good thing, but I hate it when people like Arkada do their moral crusade, incapable to see the benefits of downloading.

SaberRitsu said:

However, I find illegal streaming to be the absolute worst option of watching anime. Not only does it not support the creators but it looks fucking horrible. Crunchyroll is fine because of the higher quality video and HD but I can't fathom why anyone would want to stream anime like that. If you aren't intending on supporting the work of the creators, you could at least download a high quality version of it so you can appreciate the work they put into it.

I agree on this as well.
If you have no problem with Streaming you should at least stream as good as you can.
I personally hate streaming and it was only something I did before I knew any better. (since before anime I never torrented anything)

I personally want to be able to buy things at some point, because I like supporting things I like (like games or music). But there is a lot of things I have to take care of first.

As soon as I build up my no life otaku room though I will buy all that shit.
Jun 21, 2013 6:35 AM

Mar 2013
I'm going to be the first, it would seem, to put my hand up and say I find Arkada entertaining. I'm not going to say I "like" him, because I don't know enough about him to make that judgement. But I do appreciate what he does for the anime community. Having said that, I do think his video on pirating and downloading was rather presumptious. There are countless personal reasons people have for not always opting to pay for the anime they watch. We all lead different lives, and it's not uncommon for downloading to literally be the only way someone can get ahold of the show they want. It's one thing to encourage people to support the industry, but preaching to people who don't is counterproductive to his cause.
"Go bald, Kurosaki."

Jun 21, 2013 6:53 AM

Nov 2011

pfffft haha, Tell that to the Yuyushiki BD's that cost 328 dollars/249 euro's. I also don't think anybody would buy something that expansive without having seen the series first.
The prices are so high because they are aimed at the fans of the series, not people who have never seen it.

249 euro's is close to 40%~ of my monthly income.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Jun 21, 2013 6:57 AM

Sep 2012
If you buy it on Amazon Instant Video it can be really cheap, depending on the show and the number of episodes. But when it's something that's not licensed and not on Crunchyroll, you're out of luck.
Jun 21, 2013 6:58 AM

Jan 2013
I find streaming alright (like animefreak.tv), if once in awhile the user supports an industry by buying the anime (obviously ones they really like) but I am not too much of a fan of downloading anime.

And also, before you guys start replying to when he said anime isnt cheap, about "WELL THIS SERIES IS OVER $100 FOR 28 EPISODES." He clearly stated for a few minutes it is cheap as a whole, some are REALLY cheap, some arent, youd be surprised how cheap it is for us compared to Japan...
GoateeJun 21, 2013 7:02 AM
Jun 21, 2013 6:59 AM

May 2013
Jaguer91 said:

Why would you buy food in the supermarket when you can steal it? Don't use that logic because it's a complete fallacy.

I never post here and I'm not on any ''side'' of the argument (because where I live, Spain, you actually have to pay for music / films / series you download ''ilegally'' even if you don't do it and before you do so, so I'm actually paying for this, lol...)
Jun 21, 2013 7:21 AM

Feb 2013
crosby_87 said:
Mem521 said:

Just curious, how much would you sell 12 episodes for? Plus I doubt what he meant was that you had to buy every single anime you want to watch.

Compared to a DVD that has a two hour movie on it, 12 episodes for that price is good (should have made myself more clear). The problem is that once you have bought all the seasons, you are looking to spending around $100 and that’s one series (possibly not including any ova's or movies). Of course he doesn't say that you have to buy every anime you want to watch, but how else are you going to watch it?

There are easy ways to watch and buy old series, but not new ones. If you or me were to add up how much it would cost to have seen all the anime we actually want to watch, we would be looking at spending way over $1000.

Again, that box set for the entertainment time is good, but we wouldn't have access to nearly as many anime if we were to buy it all.
Jun 21, 2013 7:21 AM

Mar 2013
destinyunknown said:
Jaguer91 said:

Why would you buy food in the supermarket when you can steal it? Don't use that logic because it's a complete fallacy.

Incidentally that logic implies that there is no one monitoring the supermarket.

"1) Illegal Streaming and Downloading in USA(and AUS, CA etc) is not necessary, because of legal alternatives which are also free (crunchyroll, hulu and others)"
Anime is expensive in Australia since it is essentially controlled by one distribution company, which is Madman Entertainment and we are apparently not part of a normal release system which leads to varying release times for new anime series' >.>.
So our only options to legally obtain anime is to wait for it to be distributed via Madman (which is a long ass time) or buy online which is expensive in of itself due to shipping and conversion.
There also arent many, if any, 'free' anime streaming sites that are legal and accessible in Australia. Hulu is not accessible.
So I support the idea that if it is free hen there is no reason why you shouldnt take it unless you feel it is morally unjust to do so. However i do so without compunction.
Then again this is just me.
FactionRedJun 21, 2013 7:31 AM
I like fried tofu
Jun 21, 2013 7:26 AM

Jul 2012
KAIOKEN1113 said:
I find streaming alright (like animefreak.tv), if once in awhile the user supports an industry by buying the anime (obviously ones they really like) but I am not too much of a fan of downloading anime.

Why no? It makes no logical sense to dislike it compared to watching shows on shit like animefreak (with terrible quality and taht stupid logo).

destinyunknown said:
Jaguer91 said:

I never post here and I'm not on any ''side'' of the argument (because where I live, Spain, you actually have to pay for music / films / series you download ''ilegally'' even if you don't do it and before you do so, so I'm actually paying for this, lol...)

Wow that is a fucking bad argument.

Downloading =/= Stealing.

When you steal you actually REMOVE it from the pool of availability. When you download it it's still there. You are actually copying it.

Please don't use the word logic and fallacy if you clearly neither possess logic and make fallacies yourself.

And what do you mean you have to pay for illegal downloads in spain, do you have special spain internet? Is there some special "spaintax" on torrents?

Wow please leave.
Jun 21, 2013 7:29 AM

Jul 2012
I'd watch this video if he wasn't so goddamn long-winded. seriously, really?
Jun 21, 2013 7:35 AM

Jul 2012
daintybiscuit said:
I'd watch this video if he wasn't so goddamn long-winded. seriously, really?

you don't miss out on anything, also I posted all the points he makes.
Jun 21, 2013 7:41 AM

Jan 2013
Orsonius said:
KAIOKEN1113 said:

Why no? It makes no logical sense to dislike it compared to watching shows on shit like animefreak (with terrible quality and taht stupid logo).

I just don't find it good to be downloading it to your computer if it is already available find and dandy for streaming, I dont know what streaming sites you have been on, but anime freak doesnt have a logo, the visual and audio quality isnt terrible, it looks the same, the variety of anime is HUGE both new and old, if ads are really that much for you use adblock, the buffer really depends on your internet connection and video player (all the popular series will have that good video player). Every single X on that chart is invalid except for 2, one being the future viewing which in my opinion is quite stupid, and 2, which it really didnt say but is somewhat like it, many series not have a dub attached to it. Now I read earlier you said that you prefer sub anyways, so that shouldnt matter to you.
Jun 21, 2013 7:48 AM

Apr 2013
I personally don't find anything wrong with people doing their illegal streaming and downloading. I also don't have a problem with GR making a video on why people should buy their anime.

People do what they want for different reasons. Whether it's a morality thing or something else entirely, everyone has the right to do what they want.

I believe in both the positive and the negative arguements in this conversation, illegal streaming and torrenting is both a good and bad thing for the industry, so it all ballances out and becomes neutral.

I don't believe you can persuade someone into being "completely legit" without sounding like an asshole to those who don't believe in what you're trying to say. Some people believe, others don't. Again, it comes out as neutral.

Everything is about neutrality.

Damn it feels good to be a neutral.
"But ur a retard."
~Akito_Kinomoto
Jun 21, 2013 7:55 AM

Jul 2012
KAIOKEN1113 said:

I just don't find it good to be downloading it to your computer if it is already available find and dandy for streaming, I dont know what streaming sites you have been on, but anime freak doesnt have a logo, the visual and audio quality isnt terrible, it looks the same, the variety of anime is HUGE both new and old, if ads are really that much for you use adblock, the buffer really depends on your internet connection and video player (all the popular series will have that good video player). Every single X on that chart is invalid except for 2, one being the future viewing which in my opinion is quite stupid, and 2, which it really didnt say but is somewhat like it, many series not have a dub attached to it. Now I read earlier you said that you prefer sub anyways, so that shouldnt matter to you.

On your pc you can watch it whenever you like, it does not require internet connection. You can put it on your tablet, even phone or laptop and watch it in the train, on vacation (without internet), or anywhere you like.

The logo is apparently not on animefreak (mistaken it with anime44)

The audio is terrible, the picture as well see here I just took some screenshots:

Future viewing is stupid?
I love future viewing, I watch either episodes or entire shows more than one time, for example with friends. I just take my laptop to their place and we watch a nice BD rip together.
Jun 21, 2013 8:03 AM

Mar 2012
I watched that video and I don't mind his argument, but there is one thing I do disagree with him strongly on.

"Illegal streaming." The plain and simple matter is crunchyroll doesn't stream everything so "illegal streaming is really one of your few options for watching that show. On top of that, it isn't "hurting" the industry if you do plan on purchasing the DVDs or Blu-Rays later. Honestly, illegal streaming in my opinion can work just as well for promoting anime.
Jun 21, 2013 8:04 AM

Jul 2012
destinyunknown said:
Orsonius said:

And what do you mean you have to pay for illegal downloads in spain, do you have special spain internet? Is there some special "spaintax" on torrents?

Wow please leave.

When you buy any sort of media player (be it a computer, an Ipod, an mp3, a TV and even a computer monitor) you're forced to pay a ''special tax'' which was enforced to ''prevent piracy''. The logic behind that tax is, supposedly ''we know you're going to download stuff ilegally so we're going to make you pay for it'' (or I guess so).

You also have to pay that tax if you buy a music album, a film dvd or whatever because the government assumes you're going to copy it and distribute it amongst your friends.

So yeah I know what I'm talking about, lol.

And I'm not going to bother arguing about the stealing / downloading thing because I honestly don't feel like it, but it's not as paper clear as you said. Not by any means. So stop being so condescending.

Wow spain sucks hard.
I actually didn't know that, sorry to hear that.

The argument from stealing is just a dead horse used by people who don't understand the difference between Actual Piracy (stealing on water) and Internet Piracy (copying data).
So I'm just annoyed when people bring it up.
Jun 21, 2013 8:08 AM

Jan 2013
Orsonius said:
KAIOKEN1113 said:

On your pc you can watch it whenever you like, it does not require internet connection. You can put it on your tablet, even phone or laptop and watch it in the train, on vacation (without internet), or anywhere you like.

The logo is apparently not on animefreak (mistaken it with anime44)

The audio is terrible, the picture as well see here I just took some screenshots:

Future viewing is stupid?
I love future viewing, I watch either episodes or entire shows more than one time, for example with friends. I just take my laptop to their place and we watch a nice BD rip together.

Okay, with the black borders, I must say there is, but DEFINITELY not as much as that comparison shows, obviously it will have borders when it isnt a 16:9 show (meaning old), but even so, it does have just a TINY border somewhere on the video regardless of the aspect ratio. For sound, I still dont understand, because to me, it sounds fine, it isnt like I cant hear them. And finally, one point was the "skippable opening and ending, and also going back and forth requires buffer" Like I said, it depends on the video player. Once you load the page with the video, if it completely black with just a small play button in the middle of it, then yes, it is shit. But that usually is only for new unpopular series. As for popular/normal anime, once the page loads, if the option is 2UPLOADS or the Anime Freak Video Player, it barely takes any time to load the video, then immediately starts playing, and easily can skip the opening and ending (if you want an example, go to Fairy Tail episode 175 which has both good players)
Jun 21, 2013 8:13 AM

Nov 2010
i download fansubs (not dvd/br rips) every season

when i realy like a show i wait for the dvd/br box (bought madoka, clannad and some other also looking for some others wich are hard to find hehe)

also going to buy shinsekai yori and few other recent shows (every show i rewatched i owned or borrowed hehe)
Jun 21, 2013 8:16 AM

Mar 2013
The main reason I watch anime illegally:

No money

It's not me being cheap, either. I just don't have the resources. Streaming/torrenting is good because you get to watch the anime, see if you like it, then buy the anime when you have enough money. I don't know about others, but I have a rule that I can't watch an anime illegally more than once. If I want to watch it again, I buy it. Because of streaming sites, I have bought loads of anime merchandise I wouldn't have bought if I hadn't watched it illegally first.
Jun 21, 2013 8:16 AM

Jul 2012
KAIOKEN1113 said:

Okay, with the black borders, I must say there is, but DEFINITELY not as much as that comparison shows, obviously it will have borders when it isnt a 16:9 show (meaning old), but even so, it does have just a TINY border somewhere on the video regardless of the aspect ratio. For sound, I still dont understand, because to me, it sounds fine, it isnt like I cant hear them. And finally, one point was the "skippable opening and ending, and also going back and forth requires buffer" Like I said, it depends on the video player. Once you load the page with the video, if it completely black with just a small play button in the middle of it, then yes, it is shit. But that usually is only for unpopular anime. As for popular/normal anime, once the page loads, if the option is 2UPLOADS or the Anime Freak Video Player, it barely takes any time to load the video, then immediately starts playing, and easily can skip the opening and ending (if you want an example, go to Fairy Tail episode 175 which has both good players)

I just found out how old you are and forgive you.

I have a friend and his sister is as old as you are and she streams too, so I don't mind. But in a few years I hope you see the benefits in downloading it.

Concerning Sound:
Well i cannot post the sound as a picture here, I just tested it myself. listen to the sound in the downloaded version and then in the stream.
The stream is terrible. The opening sounds like a cheap youtube 240p soundrip.

The skippable thing is something you don't understand since you don't download.
The videos I download have Markers in them, indicating when the opening starts, or ending, preview and so on.
I can just click a mousebutton and skip them or go forth and back.

You also cannot use MAL updater but that's okay.

Another thing that isn't on the screenshot is my mouse cursor. It doesn't disappear. You have to put it somewhere on the boarder so it doesn't annoy you.

Consider torrenting when you have enough money to buy a good 1terabyte harddrive to store all your animu.

Also streaming is not always uncensored or BD version (which is better in quality and has mostly the uncensored stuff)
Jun 21, 2013 8:19 AM
Feb 2013
why dont he just leave us alone
Pages (25) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Are newcomer edgy anime fans not edgelords but actually normies? ( 1 2 )

LenRea - May 16

73 by DesuMaiden »»
3 minutes ago

» Lifespan of an Anime fan?

Ex-Aid - 7 hours ago

48 by DarkShame2 »»
3 minutes ago

» What would one do for the waifu?

SgtBateMan - May 18

44 by DesuMaiden »»
5 minutes ago

» Yearly reminder that Lenalee Lee reinvented battle shounen girls

Catalano - 7 minutes ago

0 by Catalano »»
7 minutes ago

» Thoughts on NA?

lezbifriends - May 19

23 by PeripheralVision »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.