Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 12, 2013 11:08 AM

Jun 2008
So I wanted to make a thread about the world cup qualifiers that are going on this year.

Yesterday the U.S Soccer team got a great 2-0 victory over Panama to place them on top of the standings of the CONCACAF qualifying table.

Meanwhile Mexico is still struggling to score a goal in their own Stadium.

I'm also keeping an eye on UEFA's qualifiers...
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 12, 2013 11:22 AM

Jun 2008
Also, I want to use this thread as a pre-World Cup discussion thread.

Which team has the strongest chance to win?

Can Spain repeat?

Will Brazil take advantage of being the Host Nation?

Who are your "Surprise teams"?

Which player will rise up to the occasion?

The World Cup is about one year away....I'm already pumped!!!
Jun 12, 2013 11:23 AM

May 2013
Squeaky bum time for England's fans. (Me included)
The U21 championship was embarrassing but not qualifying for the World Cup 2014....... I won't be able to show my face in front of any of my foreign friends for a long time.....
Jun 12, 2013 11:26 AM

Jun 2008
Jumpers123 said:
The U21 championship was embarrassing but not qualifying for the World Cup 2014....... I won't be able to show my face in front of any of my foreign friends for a long time.....

Actually, I just went to look at the qualifying groups for UEFA and I see that England still has work to do.

But I would be super shocked if they didn't make it.
Jun 12, 2013 11:29 AM

May 2013
JustALEX said:
Jumpers123 said:

Actually, I just went to look at the qualifying groups for UEFA and I see that England still has work to do.

Watching the friendlies the other day I came to the conclusion that England have the worst team made up of good players.
I won't be surprised if they fall flat on their faces and don't qualify.
As an England fan I'll be gutted but.....
Jun 12, 2013 11:34 AM

Jun 2008
Jumpers123 said:
JustALEX said:
Jumpers123 said:

Watching the friendlies the other day I came to the conclusion that England have the worst team made up of good players.

I know it's not the same since I don't like in a country where Soccer is so dominant the way it is in England, but it would hurt me too if the U.S didn't qualify for the world cup as well.

I've been a U.S soccer fan ever since the 1998 world cup when I saw just how fun soccer can really be.

Up until that time I never watched it.

I don't watch clubs that much, but I LOVE international soccer.....and the world cup is one full month of awesomeness.
Jun 12, 2013 11:39 AM

May 2013
JustALEX said:
Jumpers123 said:
JustALEX said:
Jumpers123 said:

I know it's not the same since I don't like in a country where Soccer is so dominant the way it is in England, but it would hurt me too if the U.S didn't qualify for the world cup as well.

I've been a U.S soccer fan ever since the 1998 world cup when I saw just how fun soccer can really be.

Up until that time I never watched it.

I don't watch clubs that much, but I LOVE international soccer.....and the world cup is one full month of awesomeness.

Both my club and my country are chronic underachievers so I'm sort of used to it
Now I watch the game because 1) it's something to watch during the league off season and 2) Many domestic clubs are multinational now so I tend to watch specific players as opposed to teams.

Anyways to answer your questions:

1) No I don't think Spain will win it again
2) I don't think Brazil will win it either, host nation or not
3) My teams to watch would be any team from South America, bar Brazil
4) I don't know so much about players rising to the occasion.
Jun 12, 2013 11:39 AM
Mar 2012
JustALEX said:
Also, I want to use this thread as a pre-World Cup discussion thread.

Which team has the strongest chance to win?

Can Spain repeat?

Will Brazil take advantage of being the Host Nation?

Who are your "Surprise teams"?

Which player will rise up to the occasion?

The World Cup is about one year away....I'm already pumped!!!

The absolute favourite is Germany, for a number of reasons. Firstly, both top teams of Germany made it to the CL final, so you can see the league over there is on a very high level. Now what makes Germany as a football country so strong, the starting players are mostly German, or used to be. I think anyone who follows a bit of football will know of the greatness of Thomas Müller, Götze, Reus, Lahm, I could go on with this. But it all comes down to the fact that they have the best team atm.

Spain is going to fail this time around, Xavi is getting old and he is Spain and Barca's motor so to speak. Without him or a replacement, both of these teams will go nowhere. The replacement is said to be Busquets, but I don't see the same player in him. inb4 Peek-a-boo.jpg

Although Brazil has always been on the top and their players are starting to take over again, I miss a few things, sure they have countless attacking midfielders named: Ganzo, Lucas, Kaka. But where is that crucial striker? Hulk seems like the only one fit for that role atm, since Pato is not good enough imo.

If I had to list a dark horse, I'd say Belgium. Their defence is really strong and they got a few amazing attacking players, definitely one to look out for me.

As for my country, they fucked up in WC 2010 final and the players of that era are starting to make place for a new generation, which isn't as good. It will also take time for the next gen to really show their talent, they aren't there yet.
Jun 12, 2013 11:51 AM

Sep 2008
Uzbekistan for teh win!
Jun 12, 2013 12:05 PM

Apr 2013
I'm rooting for..

1. Germany
2. Nederlands
Jun 12, 2013 12:15 PM

Jul 2011
The strongest Football National team is the hoster, so i can't think in other country to win the World Cup
Jun 12, 2013 12:17 PM

May 2013
pralan said:
The strongest Football National team is the hoster, so i can't think in other country to win the World Cup

I'll believe that when Qatar win in 2022 ok?
Jun 12, 2013 12:19 PM

Jul 2011
Jumpers123 said:
pralan said:

Qatar is the strongest?
Are you sure that you understand what i wrote?

Just in case:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil_national_football_team

->2014 FIFA World Cup
->Host country: Brazil
Jun 12, 2013 12:22 PM

May 2013
pralan said:
Jumpers123 said:
pralan said:

Qatar is the strongest?

You wrote the strongest national football team is the hosts.
Jun 12, 2013 12:25 PM

Apr 2011
Germany is my favorites to win the tournament. But I hope for at least one Asian country to make it to the semis and the highest chances for that lies with Japan, who I also like after seeing them play 3 years ago. The last time an Asian country made it to the semis, it was South Korea in their own backyard and then proceeded to lose to Germany (and after that, Turkey).

Like Karpman said, this season showed that Spanish dominance is running out. A lot of their key players are growing old, while Germany's main players don't even average 30 years of age. Most are still in their 20s. Other than that, I'd also look out for Uruguay. Like him or hate him, Suarez is one of the top striker and dribbler in the world at the moment and his combination with Cavani can be lethal. Wait, scratch that. It will be lethal.

My main teams to watch this time around would be: Germany (winners), Uruguay (runners-up), Spain (third place) and hopefully, Japan (fourth place).

Now for the England situation, I really pity this. Such great players, unable to show their best when it truly matters. I would love it if they qualified and wreaked havoc in the World Cup, but I don't think they have the right coach for the job. While it was already half-broken, Roy Hodgson is the guy that utterly destroyed Liverpool in the little time he was at the helm of the club. Hell, he even lashed out at the Kop for his failures to win at home. No, England needs to sack him now and put in someone who knows what he's doing. Hodgson can't manage big teams and big names. He's already proved that at Liverpool.
Jun 12, 2013 12:26 PM

Jul 2011
Jumpers123 said:
pralan said:
Jumpers123 said:
pralan said:

Qatar is the strongest?

You wrote the strongest national football team is the hosts.

Exactly:
Brazil the strongest Football National team is the hoster of the world cup 2014
-->Brazil is the hoster, the only team that won 5 times the wolrd cup -Brazil- is the hoster of the world cup 2014
Brazil is the hoster, the strongest Football National team Brazil is the hoster
Brazil
Brazil is the hoster, no Qatar, Brazil

The thread is about the 2014 world Cup that is hoster by Brazil
Jun 12, 2013 12:28 PM

Apr 2011
pralan said:
Exactly:
-->Brazil is the hoster, the only team that won 5 times the wolrd cup -Brazil- is the hoster of the world cup 2014
Brazil

Brazil couldn't beat England (England, of all teams) the last two times they met, they're in no way the top guns anymore.
Jun 12, 2013 12:28 PM

May 2013
yhunata said:
Germany is my favorites to win the tournament. But I hope for at least one Asian country to make it to the semis and the highest chances for that lies with Japan, who I also like after seeing them play 3 years ago. The last time an Asian country made it to the semis, it was South Korea in their own backyard and then proceeded to lose to Germany (and after that, Turkey).

Like Karpman said, this season showed that Spanish dominance is running out. A lot of their key players are growing old, while Germany's main players don't even average 30 years of age. Most are still in their 20s. Other than that, I'd also look out for Uruguay. Like him or hate him, Suarez is one of the top striker and dribbler in the world at the moment and his combination with Cavani can be lethal. Wait, scratch that. It will be lethal.

My main teams to watch this time around would be: Germany (winners), Uruguay (runners-up), Spain (third place) and hopefully, Japan (fourth place).

Now for the England situation, I really pity this. Such great players, unable to show their best when it truly matters. I would love it if they qualified and wreaked havoc in the World Cup, but I don't think they have the right coach for the job. While it was already half-broken, Roy Hodgson is the guy that utterly destroyed Liverpool in the little time he was at the helm of the club. Hell, he even lashed out at the Kop for his failures to win at home. No, England needs to sack him now and put in someone who knows what he's doing. Hodgson can't manage big teams and big names. He's already proved that at Liverpool.

Well its nice to know I'm not the only one who considers Hodgson to be Liverpool's biggest failure.
I refused to watch them, even though they're my team, when he was in charge.
England are going down the pan and the FA need to sort it out ASAP.

I can't see beyond the Germans to win it, though we don't need to give them any more excuses to be arrogant
Jun 12, 2013 12:29 PM

Jul 2011
yhunata said:
pralan said:
Exactly:
Brazil

Brazil couldn't beat England (England, of all teams) the last two times they met, they're in no way the top guns anymore.

I just i triying that Jumpers123 read well what i wrote and don't interprete another thing
Jun 12, 2013 12:33 PM

May 2013
pralan said:
yhunata said:
pralan said:
Exactly:
Brazil

I just i triying that Jumpers123 read well what i wrote and don't interprete another thing

I understood what you meant mate but the implication that just because Brazil are hosting the World Cup means they are the worlds best team is wrong. Hosting the World Cup doesn't automatically make them the strongest bet to win it.
At best they're dark horses.

And I bought up Qatar because they are hosting World Cup 2022 and it kinda proves my point seeing as no-one in their right minds would claim Qatar are the worlds strongest football team
Jun 12, 2013 12:36 PM

Jul 2011
Jumpers123 said:
]I understood what you meant mate but the implication that just because Brazil are hosting the World Cup means they are the worlds best team is wrong. Hosting the World Cup doesn't automatically make them the strongest bet to win it.
At best they're dark horses.

And I bought up Qatar because they are hosting World Cup 2022 and it kinda proves my point seeing as no-one in their right minds would claim Qatar are the worlds strongest football team

What?
I saying that Bazil is the strongest by his story in the world cup and the fact that is the hoster is a plus for them, not that the fact that they are hoster make them the strongest.
Jun 12, 2013 12:37 PM

Sep 2012
Germany and Spain are my favorites to win it all. I know Spain's won the last World Cup and last two Euro Cups, so they probably won't win it again, but you can't doubt their talent and experience. Age didn't stop Italy from winning in '06 either. At the very least, Spain will get far. Germany has arguably the best goalie in the world in Neuer, and are really strong at every other position.

I'm rooting for the US and Algeria. The US got a confidence boost after narrowly defeating Germany in a friendly match not too long ago, and getting some big wins against Jamaica and Panama to take the lead in the group standings. They're practically set to make it to the World Cup.
Algeria's at the top of their group standings as well. I'm not sure whether or not they have to beat Egypt or not to qualify for the WC, but right now the team is looking really good and I think they have a shot at beating Egypt again.
A match made in heaven set the fires in hell
Jun 12, 2013 12:51 PM

Jun 2008
A little bit random, but since this is a world cup thread, I just wanted to post my favorite jerseys.

Well, I'm going to start being biased, with the U.S jersey which I really like:

But I LOVE these jerseys as well.

^France

^Germany

^And of course Brazil.
Jun 12, 2013 12:56 PM

Aug 2008
USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

Man, that musta been fun to be in.

===

And if I were to pick a #2 team to like - it would be Germany.
KyuuALJun 12, 2013 1:00 PM
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Jun 12, 2013 2:15 PM

May 2008
I think Spain are still the favourites, they have not really done anything to make them not favourites. Germany will have to be second and of course Brazil who have home advantage. My dark horses would be Italy (not really dark horses but not favourites either) But with some good young players who were not at the last world cup such as El Shaarawy who can play in attack with Balo and with Veratti they have basically a young Pirlo. Also Uruguay, their front 3 of Gaston Rameriez, Surez and Cavani is in the top 5/6 in the world. Only Brazil, Spain, Germany maybe the Netherlands are better with France, Italy and Portugal have as good a front three as Uruguay.
Jun 13, 2013 8:16 AM

Dec 2011
Holland may be able to surprise even with no more Van Bronckhorst
The X factors for Germany and Spain are Thomas Mueller and David Villa respectively.
Jun 13, 2013 9:54 AM
Mar 2012
Jets said:
David Villa.

Even though it is heavily hinted upon that he is not good enough for the Barca squad any more?

He is old and way past his prime, Barca rather uses Pedro nowadays than Villa.
Jun 16, 2013 12:18 PM

Jun 2008
2013 FIFA Confederations going on right now if anyone is interested....

Mexico vs. Italy.
Jun 16, 2013 2:11 PM

Apr 2011
Fuck the Confederations cup, what's your thoughts on the Messi-Tax situation going on at the moment? This is some serious shit. If he's found guilty, he's gonna get fined and put in jail for 6 years. And who knows what kinda punishment FIFA's gonna put him on. Seriously, does no one know of tax avoidance (or was it evasion)?

With that out of the bag, Spain vs Uruguay, whose gonna win? My bet's on Spain, but I'm not one to count Uruguay out.
Jun 16, 2013 2:50 PM

Jun 2012
NETHERLANDS MUST WIN

VAN BRONCKHORST WILL CARRY US TO HEAVEN

also I think the Japanese squad looks nice and they qualified so I'm looking forward to seeing their performances.

Can't wait to cut class and conquer the library to yell everytime a team scores a goal, cause damn, nothing is louder than a library with 500 people watching Donovan's 91st minute goal vs. Algeria
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Jun 16, 2013 3:29 PM
Mar 2012
I have seen Brazil vs Japan. Quite impressive that Neymar scores in the first 3 minutes while all eyes are directed at him and expecting great things. Well, I guess he does love his attention. Japan has quite a good looking squad despite the 3-0 loss. Beating Brazil in their own stadium will be a tough job for anyone.

I seriously hope Messi is going to be found not guilty, because the world will miss a player of his calibre. The whole situation is a bit sketchy though, why would he need money? He is one of the best paid footballers in the world.
Jun 16, 2013 4:12 PM

Jun 2008
yhunata said:
Fuck the Confederations cup, what's your thoughts on the Messi-Tax situation going on at the moment? This is some serious shit. If he's found guilty, he's gonna get fined and put in jail for 6 years. And who knows what kinda punishment FIFA's gonna put him on. Seriously, does no one know of tax avoidance (or was it evasion)?

There is absolutely no way in hell the best soccer player on the planet goes to prison for even 1 second.

That's my opinion on that matter....

Regicide said:
NETHERLANDS MUST WIN

VAN BRONCKHORST WILL CARRY US TO HEAVEN

Anyone except Spain.

I'm so tired of them.

Regicide said:
Can't wait to cut class and conquer the library to yell everytime a team scores a goal, cause damn, nothing is louder than a library with 500 people watching Donovan's 91st minute goal vs. Algeria

That was easily my favorite moment of the 2010 World Cup.

I was at my job watching it on the internet.

After the match was over, I went outside to yell and go crazy!

It was an unforgettable moment.
Jun 16, 2013 4:14 PM

Jul 2012
JustALEX said:

I don't believe you

oh and Italy>England>>All
הלב שלי כבר מת
Jun 16, 2013 4:16 PM

Jun 2008
Houndthree said:
JustALEX said:

I don't believe you

Why don't you believe me?

Also, aren't you from Germany?

Germany looks like the favorites, they're really good!
Jun 16, 2013 4:18 PM

Aug 2008
Man, why the hell am I watching this crap?
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

Jun 16, 2013 4:20 PM

Jul 2012
JustALEX said:
Houndthree said:
JustALEX said:

I don't believe you

Why don't you believe me?

Also, aren't you from Germany?

Germany looks like the favorites, they're really good!

Fuck the German Team
Shitty Fans with their shitty car honks fuck these people I hate them

I don't believe that you have a job you are too busy with MAL, Sports, crying cauz The Rock lost at WM 29 and fapping to 2D (don't even try to deny it)
הלב שלי כבר מת
Jun 16, 2013 4:26 PM

Aug 2008
I've been labeling Spain as one of the more hated teams, along with France and Italy. Though, France sucks nowadays, so they don't matter anymore.

Jun 16, 2013 4:28 PM

Jun 2008
Houndthree said:
Fuck the German Team

I don't believe that you have a job you are too busy with MAL, Sports, crying cauz The Rock lost at WM 29 and fapping to 2D (don't even try to deny it)

LOLOLOL!

That was great.

C'mon, the German people are good people.

Also, back then I was still on MAL, but I only posted on sports threads mostly.
Jun 16, 2013 4:33 PM

Jul 2012
JustALEX said:
Houndthree said:
Fuck the German Team

LOLOLOL!

That was great.

C'mon, the German people are good people.

Also, back then I was still on MAL, but I only posted on sports threads mostly.

Only if they don't love soccer.
Seriously you can't even sleep or watch TV or something IT'S JUST ( :^) ) TO FREAKING LOUD when Germany wins a soccer game
הלב שלי כבר מת
Jun 16, 2013 5:54 PM

Aug 2008
Houndthree said:
Seriously you can't even sleep or watch TV or something IT'S JUST ( :^) ) TO FREAKING LOUD when Germany wins a soccer game

Um... that's true of ANY sporting fan. What the hell is wrong with you?

Jun 16, 2013 6:42 PM
Jan 2012
Jun 16, 2013 9:28 PM

May 2008
creativiti said:
i'll just leave it here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIBYEXLGdSg

Yeah that is pretty messed up, surely FIFA could have seen the situation when they were making the decision on which country to choose and gave it to someone else. The USA would have done well hosting the cup with the interest already rising it would have expanded it even more add that to USA having a decent team, it was almost the perfect time for them to host it.
Jun 16, 2013 9:32 PM

May 2013
Wow so someone made this thread, merci!
Yes I cant wait to watch Worldcup (though I dont like football/soccer thingy myself eheh, but international soccer match is more interesting to watch)

BRAZIL IS THE HOST!~~~/o/ yaayy
Btw what country/team do you support guys? ^^
I support Spain, Brazil, Germany, Portugal. What about you? XD
Jun 18, 2013 3:08 PM

Aug 2008
USA USA USA USA

Ready to hit up 13 points in the standings today. Hooorah.

Jun 18, 2013 3:19 PM
Feb 2012
Italy is my prediction to take it all.
Jun 19, 2013 5:33 AM

Dec 2010
LimeSlate said:
Italy is my prediction to take it all.

Impossibru, we look strong but we're actually just really lucky. I guarantee.
Imho, for a change (cough), Spain will make it again. Though I root for Germany, as always.
Jun 19, 2013 5:40 AM

Jul 2012
KyuuAL said:
Houndthree said:

Um... that's true of ANY sporting fan. What the hell is wrong with you?

Well I am not really a sports fan and I hate loud people with fucking cars so yes...
MaorJun 19, 2013 5:52 AM
הלב שלי כבר מת
Jun 19, 2013 5:50 AM

Jun 2013
The trick to being an England fan is managing your expectations. Expect nothing but the worst from them, and if they do better, you will find yourself feeling pleased.
I've been watching them since I was a kid living in England, when Beckham got red carded for kicking that guy in the back of the legs.
Jun 19, 2013 10:26 AM

Aug 2008
MitchD said:
The trick to being an England fan is managing your expectations. Expect nothing but the worst from them, and if they do better, you will find yourself feeling pleased.

You have nothing on Cubs fans.

:p

Jun 19, 2013 11:40 AM

Dec 2006
England always manage to entertain when they play, though this squad they have now leaves something to be desired. I've never seen that many good players play so badly together.

I'll be rooting for my home country for the very first fucking time since I started watching WC in 94, Bosnia all the way baby. This is our first time qualifying ever :)
リスト 。。

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.