Forum Settings
Forums

Hollywood's Astro Boy Movie Faces a Shortage of Funds

New
Jan 3, 2009 6:16 AM

Feb 2008
Variety.com reported that IMAGI Animation Studio, the producer of 3D CGI movie "Astro Boy", is financially in trouble. The auditor of IMAGI said the company had bank and cash balances of HK$88.9 million ($11.5 million) on September 30th, 2008 but the production of the movie requires $66 million. The directors are reportedly searching for the resources but it's not certain they will make it before the deadline.

The movie was announced to be delivered in October 2009. Freddy Highmore, Nicolas Cage and Bill Nighty are cast for the main roles. Mushi Production, the creators of the original anime "Astro Boy", had turned down IMAGIC's initial character design, which was totally different from the original.

Variety.com
Variety Japan
NHK "Japanese Animation v.s. Hollywood" on Youtube
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jan 3, 2009 6:53 AM

Jan 2008
So they have 11 mil, while they need 66mil. WTF! That means, they have to make 55 mil in less, than 1 year? oO They should cancel Dragon Ball, and put all the cash into Astro Boy. It looks so epic. Though I don't know if this will be another kids' show or trainwreck by Hollywood

And btw could someone identify the music at the very beginning for me? =)
edit: nvm, found it
HaiAlwaysHungryJan 3, 2009 7:02 AM
Jan 3, 2009 7:18 AM

Feb 2008
CGI Astro Boy actually looks pretty decent.
Jan 3, 2009 10:58 AM

Dec 2007
ntHai said:
They should cancel Dragon Ball, and put all the cash into Astro Boy. It looks so epic
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jan 3, 2009 12:30 PM

Feb 2008
ladyxzeus said:
ntHai said:
They should cancel Dragon Ball, and put all the cash into Astro Boy. It looks so epic
Qft.
Jan 3, 2009 12:48 PM

Jul 2007
Good.
Jan 3, 2009 1:44 PM

Jun 2007
ladyxzeus said:
ntHai said:

Hahahaha XD

Jan 3, 2009 3:23 PM
Dec 2008
Hollywood need to leave anime and manga alone. i watch anime because it has a different feel than hollywood Animation. it's more adult and hard hitting. if i wanted to so a hollywood movie I'd go to the movies. stop fucking up good anime just to line fat greedy pockets. this needs to stop and only we the fans can make it stop. just don't go see the crap that may stop this.
to little to late.

Jan 3, 2009 4:29 PM

Jul 2008
superjesus said:
Hollywood need to leave anime and manga alone. i watch anime because it has a different feel than hollywood Animation. it's more adult and hard hitting. if i wanted to so a hollywood movie I'd go to the movies. stop fucking up good anime just to line fat greedy pockets. this needs to stop and only we the fans can make it stop. just don't go see the crap that may stop this.

The problem is that it's not clear whether it will in fact make money or not. It's a risky gamble based on the success of Western comic books making the transition to blockbuster movies. I strongly doubt it will succeed as much as its inspirations have.

Focus-

Astro Boy might be the most iconic, influential anime ever produced, but it was made in 1952, and movies and television, especially in the animated medium, have moved on since then. Literally, the industry has gone through at least 8 complete lifetimes from the early fifties to the present day. It's no longer funny, clever, or classic. It shouldn't be resurrected, except for awesome video games made by Treasure.

And oh yeah, good luck raising $55 million during the current economic crisis from tight-fisted hedge funds and investment companies. I've worked for a couple of them before, and let me tell you, they will treat this property the same way they would two month old moldy rice.

And rightfully so.
Jan 3, 2009 8:47 PM

Oct 2008
astro movie is gonna be a kid's show.... bad

Jan 4, 2009 2:18 AM

Nov 2006
Scud said:
Good.
exactly what i was going to say. :v
Jan 4, 2009 4:17 AM

Mar 2008
"Excellent", said Mr. Montgomery Burns from his mansion. (The Simpsons character catchphrase reference that speaks my opinion on this matter)

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Jan 4, 2009 6:41 AM

Dec 2007
Takuya-kun said:
astro movie is gonna be a kid's show.... bad

...*Facepalms* Who do you think watched the original anime series?

Anyways, I'm glad IMAGI is in trouble. Because of them, we're possibly never gonna get a quality release of Gatchaman in the U.S. ever again. That, and the Astro Boy movie looks insanely unimpressive.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 4, 2009 12:04 PM

Oct 2008
IMO..

No worries, I was never interested in a live-action Astro Boy movie from Hollywood to begin with.
Jan 4, 2009 4:55 PM

Oct 2007
dtshyk said:
Freddy Highmore, Nicolas Cage and Bill Nighty are cast for the main roles.

I think you'll find that it's Bill Nighy. I like Bill Nighty though, has a nice ring to it =D.

As for Nicolas Cage, hmmm, that name is not tempting me to go see this (if they ever get the funding to finish it and release it)
Jan 4, 2009 5:00 PM
Aug 2007
Alphanomical said:
dtshyk said:
Freddy Highmore, Nicolas Cage and Bill Nighty are cast for the main roles.

I think you'll find that it's Bill Nighy. I like Bill Nighty though, has a nice ring to it =D.

As for Nicolas Cage, hmmm, that name is not tempting me to go see this (if they ever get the funding to finish it and release it)

Hee, it's certainly tempting me, I'mma big fan of NC -- although it'll be hopeless if they don't get the funds to finish ;___;

Come on, I wanna see Astro Boy on the big screen, no matter how corny or bad it is! :DDD
Jan 4, 2009 6:07 PM

Jan 2009
its gonna suck anyway.
Jan 7, 2009 6:43 PM

Dec 2008
I didn't even know this was happening.

But thank goodness.

There is nothing in this world more ugly than imperfection
Jan 7, 2009 6:48 PM

Sep 2008
I was wondering how this would turn out. I'm still interested to see it.

.....and Nicholas Cage needs to stay away from anime. I can't trust his acting skills after the Wicker Man....
Jan 7, 2009 6:52 PM

Apr 2007
windy said:
Scud said:
Good.
exactly what i was going to say. :v

What a coincidence!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

13 by VivavideoUser2x »»
1 hour ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 10 hours ago

7 by Yubisoft »»
6 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
Yesterday, 5:34 PM

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
Yesterday, 4:09 PM

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Apr 24, 3:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.