Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »
May 27, 2013 3:49 AM

Jan 2012
pming said:

You're incorrectly comparing SnK's hype level to your run of the mill hyped anime.

Every season, every anime will be usually over-hyped (ADVERTISED) by its creators (and existing fans), but most would be lucky to actually even achieve the amount of hype they need to even get back production costs.

SnK's level of hype is RARE not commonplace.

Not really this is just a typical fanboy standpoint.

The site is getting more and more popular every day, why do you think they have so many traffic issues at the moment and so much lag popping up. As a site grows so will the levels of hype for the shows listed there. Especially if most of those people are new young anime watchers who these kind of shows are marketed and aimed towards.

But yeah believe what you like.
May 27, 2013 3:51 AM
Nov 2011
AlexGK said:
I seem to remember SAO had similar level of hype.
It didn't help in the end, did it.

SAO didn't even manage to get into the first page, even when everyone loved it.

ReasonDesu said:
pming said:

You're incorrectly comparing SnK's hype level to your run of the mill hyped anime.

Every season, every anime will be usually over-hyped (ADVERTISED) by its creators (and existing fans), but most would be lucky to actually even achieve the amount of hype they need to even get back production costs.

SnK's level of hype is RARE not commonplace.

Not really this is just a typical fanboy standpoint.

The site is getting more and more popular every day, why do you think they have so many traffic issues at the moment and so much lag popping up. As a site grows so will the levels of hype for the shows listed there. Especially if most of those people are new young anime watchers who these kind of shows are marketed and aimed towards.

I am in my mid-30's. And I don't see how MAL's visitor stats is related to how popular a series becomes.
May 27, 2013 3:54 AM
Jul 2010
AlexGK said:
I seem to remember SAO had similar level of hype.
It didn't help in the end, did it.

Yes...SAO was also extremely hype up but it disappoints after the early episodes. I guess the plot was rush too quickly and most character was not properly developed. I love SAO but the truth is that the novel is better than the anime.

SnK is different....I love both the manga and anime as they gave me a different kind of feel.
Example manga is more gore but it couldn`t potray what anime can which is sound and action sequences.
May 27, 2013 3:54 AM

Jan 2012
pming said:

I am in my mid-30's. And I don't see how MAL's visitor stats is related to how popular a series becomes.

ReasonDesu said:

I don't have any hard stats either but unless you can show some I'll just leave it at that.
May 27, 2013 3:55 AM
Dec 2007
I've been reading SnK almost since the beginning and I never even once considered it a shounen manga. It's insulting to even think of including it into the genre that spawned Bleach or Naruto.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
May 27, 2013 3:56 AM

Jan 2012
Jacut said:
I've been reading SnK almost since the beginning and I never even once considered it a shounen manga. It's insulting to even think of including it into the genre that spawned Bleach or Naruto.

It was rejected by SJ but was serialized in a shounen magazine. It has enough shounen tropes dashed around to definitely be one too, I can see why SJ rejected it though, it really isn't your typical shounen.
May 27, 2013 3:57 AM
Nov 2011
ReasonDesu said:
pming said:

ReasonDesu said:

I don't have any hard stats either but unless you can show some I'll just leave it at that.

You seem to think that being listed on MAL makes a series popular or even contributes significantly to a series' popularity.

If yes, bullshit. The series would have to get onto the first page first, and it can't get onto the first page without being popular first.

Apr 2009
Jacut said:

Shonen isn't a genre.

Dec 2012
Jacut said:

Lol such an idiotic statement.
May 27, 2013 3:58 AM

Jan 2012
pming said:

You seem to think that being listed on MAL makes a series popular or even contributes significantly to a series' popularity.

If yes, bullshit. The series would have to get onto the first page first, and it can't get onto the first page without being popular first.

No... you just asspulled that out of nowhere. I'm saying as a sites user base grows so will the level of hype shown towards shows. There are simply more people here actively using MAL now.
May 27, 2013 4:12 AM

Jul 2012
I can see it being one of the best easily. Dunno about the 'BEST EVER' because I haven't seen every shounen show to date. I have watched FMA:B though which is on top of the MAL list and I haven't got the same feeling of epicness in its first 8 episodes. Shingeki is going strong for me.
So, What do you think is on the other side?
May 27, 2013 4:50 AM
Nov 2011
ReasonDesu said:
pming said:

No... you just asspulled that out of nowhere. I'm saying as a sites user base grows so will the level of hype shown towards shows. There are simply more people here actively using MAL now.

Asspulls, huh?

You're the one who brought in MAL's visitor stats, and you can't even explain properly the relevance of MAL's visitor stats to how popular a show gets. You're running out of arguments so you "asspulled" something completely irrelevant into the conversation.

Also, you're the one trying to put down SnK's popularity by making it sound as though every season, there's usually a show with THIS level of hype. That's also an "asspull".

I fucking hate hypocrites.
May 27, 2013 5:06 AM

Dec 2012
pming said:
ReasonDesu said:
pming said:

Asspulls, huh?

You're the one who brought in MAL's visitor stats, and you can't even explain properly the relevance of MAL's visitor stats to how popular a show gets. You're running out of arguments so you "asspulled" something completely irrelevant into the conversation.

Also, you're the one trying to put down SnK's popularity by making it sound as though every season, there's usually a show with THIS level of hype. That's also an "asspull".

I fucking hate hypocrites.

Don't mind him he is arguing with factual stuff and he belongs to a species called hipsters.
May 29, 2013 5:41 AM
Apr 2011
MantisShrimp said:
No, take away the gruesomeness and you'll find an average anime at its core.

Its funny how One Piece is mentioned in every thread with shounen in its title.

Lankeysob said:
People argue sales and popularity mean One Piece is better but does that mean Justin Bieber is better than rock or metal bands with less fans? No, so bringing up sales is a stupid way to gauge how good a show is.

If I am judging a show, popularity is definitely something I will focus on. It is a simple way to determine appeal, consistency, demographic, and most importantly, entertainment. It is a reasonable factor to judge a show by, but like everything else used to judge a show, it shouldn't be your only focus.

P.S. You do not even read or watch One Piece.

Oh so you personally know me? Do you creep around in my bedroom? Is that how you know I don't watch or read one piece? Give me a break... I've watched about 40 or so episodes and about 50 chapters of the manga which is definitely better than the anime. None the less, I still found it boring. I think 40-50 episodes of a long show is more than a generous amount to try a show but it still failed to capture my interest. Sorry, I just think its boring.
May 29, 2013 5:45 AM
Apr 2011
Calumz said:
one piece is the best Shounen anyone who thinks otherwise is biased beyond belief

So next to the One Piece posters in your room you have lots of Justin Beiber posters too? right? I mean he sells so much more than everyone else so that makes him better right?

PS....... Your bias is showing.
May 29, 2013 8:33 AM

Nov 2012
NO.
but if you're talking about popularity, I think SnK will never be on a par with DBZ,pokemon, or the big 3
and the anime is a disgrace IMO, too many distracted scene, and it's shit
May 29, 2013 8:44 AM

Aug 2012
ranzero said:
NO.
but if you're talking about popularity, I think SnK will never be on a par with DBZ,pokemon, or the big 3

Oh my God, you can prove to anyone that the anime is bad with that very informative and detailed explanation of yours.

edit: And not to mention unbiased.
May 29, 2013 8:46 AM

Apr 2010
ranzero said:
NO.

May 29, 2013 8:49 AM
Sep 2012
Is dragonball already beaten in term of popularity?
May 29, 2013 8:50 AM

Jul 2011
HongISfirE said:

One Piece
May 29, 2013 8:50 AM

Jul 2012
No.
Wecc said:
All Hail HaXXspetten King of the Loli Traps!

May 29, 2013 8:53 AM

Aug 2008
Jacut said:

It's pretty shouneny at this point. Yes I know that's not a real genre so I'll replace it with "simple minded, over the top action show" as that's basically what it is.
hyperknees91May 29, 2013 8:59 AM
May 29, 2013 9:14 AM
Oct 2012
Humm, based on 8 episodes of the animation? No.

Not talking about the manga, because I respect the sheer number of volumes it has sold, and having not read it yet, I would rather assume that the purchasers know what they are doing and this show deserves its popularity, rather than be an arrogant snot who assumes that it is bad because it is popular.

But based on just these episodes? Not really.

Right now its one unique feature is being a fast paced monster series. Lots of action, lots of blood. I do l find the "kill or be kill" premise refreshing as opposed to the "conflicted" hero. But at the same time what else has there been? An average boot camp scene, very little in the way of character development: rash hero, silent stern partner, wet-the-pants partner who will probably become a great solider, and enemies that have no intelligence, just sheer appetite. For people who are not adrenaline junkies, what exactly makes this show a "classic" let alone the "greatest of all time?"

Again let me stress, this isn't to say that the show won't become a classic, but for someone who has only heard of this show when the first episode aired, who has read tons of fantasy novels (so the setting isn't that unique), what am I supposed to be bowing towards.

In Naruto in the first 8 episodes we learned that Naruto was isolated from an ninja village because of the 9 tales, that he had the inner strength not to turn bitter from this treatment, but had the desire to prove himself. The world setting was well established, there were several interesting characters, as well as some humor and foreshadowing.

In One Piece we were introduced to several interesting characters, a great world setting, the over-reaching goal, Luffies motivation, and the importance of friendship.

In SnK, we have learned you gotta kill them all or be eaten and turned into a zombie. HOTD did that in one episode. So in the animation, what else have I missed?
May 29, 2013 9:37 AM
Sep 2012
pralan said:
HongISfirE said:

One Piece
in japan or entire world?
May 29, 2013 9:44 AM

Nov 2010
HongISfirE said:
pralan said:
HongISfirE said:

One Piece
in japan or entire world?
If you count Japan in the entire world then probably yes. It's the highest selling manga of all time.
May 29, 2013 9:52 AM

Aug 2008

In SnK, we have learned you gotta kill them all or be eaten and turned into a zombie. HOTD did that in one episode. So in the animation, what else have I missed?

Well I guess the other theme is that "sitting on your ass all the time accomplishes nothing"

But yes, pretty much. I think it's because I read muv luv alternative (not total eclipse) that the setting and characters seem both similar and shallow in comparison.

I think the main praise for this anime is like you said, it's for adrenaline junkies. It's also well directed, but yeah we shall have to see if it really amounts to anything but an action show.
May 29, 2013 10:25 AM

Dec 2012
hahaha
NO
May 29, 2013 11:21 AM

Jan 2013
Takuan_Soho said:

Right now its one unique feature is being a fast paced monster series. Lots of action, lots of blood. I do l find the "kill or be kill" premise refreshing as opposed to the "conflicted" hero. But at the same time what else has there been? An average boot camp scene, very little in the way of character development: rash hero, silent stern partner, wet-the-pants partner who will probably become a great solider, and enemies that have no intelligence, just sheer appetite. For people who are not adrenaline junkies, what exactly makes this show a "classic" let alone the "greatest of all time?"

Again let me stress, this isn't to say that the show won't become a classic, but for someone who has only heard of this show when the first episode aired, who has read tons of fantasy novels (so the setting isn't that unique), what am I supposed to be bowing towards.

In Naruto in the first 8 episodes we learned that Naruto was isolated from an ninja village because of the 9 tales, that he had the inner strength not to turn bitter from this treatment, but had the desire to prove himself. The world setting was well established, there were several interesting characters, as well as some humor and foreshadowing.

In One Piece we were introduced to several interesting characters, a great world setting, the over-reaching goal, Luffies motivation, and the importance of friendship.

Thank you, I couldn't have put it better. This is exactly how I feel about the anime so far.
May 30, 2013 7:12 AM

May 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
Humm, based on 8 episodes of the animation? No.

Not talking about the manga, because I respect the sheer number of volumes it has sold, and having not read it yet, I would rather assume that the purchasers know what they are doing and this show deserves its popularity, rather than be an arrogant snot who assumes that it is bad because it is popular.

Then again MAL only has people that like high quality anime only on 1600p so you shouldnt be too surprised even if SnK is just like any other shounen the presentation seems bit different

well it's the most enjoyable anime out in a very long time...
Aug 2, 2013 7:01 AM
Jul 2013
Fuck yea its the best(potentially)! Sugoi anime
Aug 2, 2013 7:12 AM
Sep 2012
It already is.

Either SnK, or Death Note or Hunter x Hunter or the original FMA, objectively speaking, these are the ones with good quality.
Aug 2, 2013 9:24 AM
Jul 2018
lol it's not a shounen like Naruto, Bleach and etc.
But it will be better than many shows
Aug 2, 2013 9:52 AM

Dec 2012
Reifel said:

?
Aug 2, 2013 10:21 AM

Aug 2011
Nah, Gintama already takes that cake.
Aug 2, 2013 2:34 PM
Oct 2011
HurricaneSweet said:
It already is.

Either SnK, or Death Note or Hunter x Hunter or the original FMA, subjectively speaking, these are the ones with good quality.
Fix'd it for you. If you think SnK is good then good for you, but saying it's objectively one of the best things evar is like saying MoD is good.

Reifel said:
It is.
Aug 2, 2013 3:14 PM
Sep 2012
Yes it is objectively and it's the best thing ever.
Aug 2, 2013 5:33 PM

Jul 2013
Mods anywhere? This thread is old news now. Lock this sht now.

IMO, Shingeki no Kyojin actually brought me back to watching anime. It reminded me why I watched anime. For me, it has a very special place.

As for best shounen... subjective, don't know what was going on in the OP's head when they made this.
Deconstruction ≠ Darker & Edgier
Trope ≠ Cliché (Face it, nothing is completely original. Can't make something from nothing so to say.).
Fanservice ≠ Ecchi (Though ecchi can please the fans!)
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe
Seinen = K-ON! Shounen, Shoujo, Seinen and Josei are demographics.
Anime/Manga = Japanese Cartoons! Deal with it.

Support Movember. Raise awareness of men's health issues. Put a mustache on your avatars or something...
Aug 2, 2013 5:36 PM

Nov 2010
No definitely not, maybe in my top 20 shounens though.
Aug 2, 2013 7:00 PM

Aug 2011
Lol.

No.
Aug 2, 2013 7:08 PM

Jan 2009
HMP13 said:
Nah, Gintama already takes that cake.

^this
Aug 2, 2013 7:17 PM

Jun 2013
yeano

Aug 2, 2013 8:18 PM

Aug 2012
I don't want SnK to be the best Shounen ever. I want it to continue to be shounen that's circling around Seinen territory, but never actually crossing the line. It makes it appealing and accessible to both demographics, which it's definitely benefitting from (looking at sales).
Aug 2, 2013 10:21 PM
Oct 2011
HurricaneSweet said:
What is? The shock factor? Cardboar-, I mean character-less characters dying? A plot-armored lead being naive (and angry all the time) and repeating the same shit over and over again for 13-14 episodes just because he can? (Reminds me of Naruto, Ichigo, and Luffy tbh) A whiny little brat? A heartless female lead who want the MC's dick just because he saved her once? (White-knighting ftw. Killing people when you're young makes a lot of sense tbh) Predictability? Bad characterizations? And once again, shock factor? Sorry, but I don't see what you call one of the best things evar. It might be decent, but no way near being called the best thing ever.
Candor123Aug 3, 2013 2:36 AM
Aug 3, 2013 12:20 AM

Oct 2007
HurricaneSweet said:

Thanks for the good laugh!
Seriously, you needed 598 episodes of One Piece to decide it was unwatchable (because I believe you would not watch 598 episodes of a series you think is unwatchable, isn't it?) but you can decide in 9 episodes (since you only seen 9 episodes) that Shingeki no Kyoujin is the best shounen... how many shounen series did you ever watch? 9 complete and 7 watching (including Shingeki no Kyoujin)... and you said "objectively"...
Aug 3, 2013 1:43 AM
Feb 2013
Not a chance but it will continue to be debated.
Sep 21, 2013 9:00 AM

Aug 2013
Really depends on how it ends but atm no
Sup People and yes I am the physical manifestation of Shinji Ikari's Balls

And this what elite-sama says to incest
elite-sama said:
I'm against it because I don't have a sister. It's not fair.
Sep 21, 2013 10:15 AM

May 2013
No.
Sep 21, 2013 10:16 AM
Aug 2013
nope
Sep 21, 2013 4:27 PM

Jan 2013
no
Sep 21, 2013 5:03 PM

Jul 2012
SparksElectrify said:
No. There's no best show, it's all a matter of preference. I see SnK becoming one of the more popular shows though.

^
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2013

991 by kzen_sno »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

VioLink - Apr 20, 2013

851 by ozrodger46 »»
May 6, 7:21 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

VioLink - Apr 13, 2013

1035 by ozrodger46 »»
May 6, 7:15 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1652 by savvyOW »»
May 2, 4:59 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2013

1554 by bohhhh_ciao »»
Apr 30, 6:54 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.