Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 11, 2013 10:18 PM
Jul 2018
I think the episode tried to cram so much into 3 minutes that you just get lost and go "huh?".
Apr 12, 2013 1:18 AM

Aug 2009
symbv said:
battosai-01 said:
symbv said:
The character design is very old school. It is at least early 90s, perhaps even earlier.

Also the character art seems to be a bit off sometimes, making it look quite amateurish or doujin level.
I don't know what you have against the 90's (NGE was made in the 90's btw), but please don't blame it for the terrible char design. There are and continue to be awful char designs in every decade and this is definitely a product of the 2010's. I agree the animation looks pretty oldschool looking though, but hey its a 3 min anime, I imagine they don't have some huge budget.
Well, I think you need to separate the two points I made. What I said in my earlier post are 1) the style has 90s feel and 2) the art is amateurish. 1) does not imply 2) or vice versa. They are separate observations. I never said that because it looks 90s I thus considered the art is bad.

You clearly said that you thought the character design in particular looked like it was from the 90's, yet how many series from the 90's have character designs like this? From my observations character designs had a more realistic look during the 90's, but this is probably because I mostly watch OVA series and movies from the 90's as opposed to T.V anime. I'm sure there are some obscure anime that have something similar to this and not just in the 90's but surely during the 70's 80s and 2000's as well. If you want to blame someone for the character design, blame the character designer, not a specific decade when IMO some of the best anime of all time was created (NGE, Berserk, Ghost in the Shell, Jin-Roh and the Wolf Brigade, Cowboy Bebop, Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal, Perfect Blue etc.).
LoneWolfApr 12, 2013 1:23 AM

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Apr 12, 2013 1:41 AM

Sep 2012
^ Well, it is not just me who got the 90s vibe, the eyes the body lines all gave me a feel of reading manga from 90s. And you need to understand that not all character designs are realistic back in 90s. It is not difficult to find non-realistic design for manga or anime in those days.

battosai-01 said:
If you want to blame someone for the character design, blame the character designer, not a specific decade when IMO some of the best anime of all time was created
Now I don't even know why you still failed to get my point despite what I said already. There are great design coming from the 90s definitely. My point is that this anime has a 90s art style that is done badly. I just do not see how you could fail to see that nowhere did I try to place blame for the poor art in this anime on a decade and still repeat the same allegation against me which is simply untrue.

If it is still not clear to you, let us look at what I wrote at the very beginning:

====
The character design is very old school. It is at least early 90s, perhaps even earlier.

Also the character art seems to be a bit off sometimes, making it look quite amateurish or doujin level.
====

So the first sentence is point 1 and the second sentence is point 2. Point 1 does not show any link with point 2. Nor the other way round. So how did you get the idea that my comment about its design looking like from early 90s means that I am trashing all designs from early 90s???
symbvApr 12, 2013 1:51 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 12, 2013 2:06 PM

Aug 2009
In your second sentence you start with "it", when your saying "it" I simply inferred that you were referring to the character design which you mention in your first sentence. It does not make logical sense for someone to assume "it" would be referring to the anime in general because you say that "it" is at least early 90's and everyone who is watching this knows that this anime was made in 2013, so it was only logical to assume "it" meant the character design.

Your 3rd sentence is talking about "art" I'm not sure what exactly your referring to by "art". As far as I know the main components of anime visuals are character design, backgrounds and animation. I can assume your talking about the general "look" of the anime though and if someone were to view this anime without prior knowledge they may indeed believe that it was made in the 90's.

You've made it clear that you don't think that the 90's are to blame for the shoddy character design or outdated animation (honestly I don't have a problem with the animation in general I just don't like how the character design looks). So I guess theres not much of an issue. I just think you could have worded it better, so it didn't look like you resented the 90's. Sorry for the misunderstanding

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Apr 12, 2013 2:35 PM

Apr 2013
I don't know what was that , but I find it funny xD
Apr 16, 2013 7:39 AM

Sep 2012
battosai-01 said:
In your second sentence you start with "it", when your saying "it" I simply inferred that you were referring to the character design which you mention in your first sentence. It does not make logical sense for someone to assume "it" would be referring to the anime in general because you say that "it" is at least early 90's and everyone who is watching this knows that this anime was made in 2013, so it was only logical to assume "it" meant the character design.
Just take a look at the first sentence again: "Also the character art seems to be a bit off sometimes, making it look quite amateurish or doujin level." Whether that "it" in the sentence means the anime or the character art, nowhere in that sentence is there any link or mention about the anime being 90s-looking. Don't forget that this sentence is a separate paragraph from the first sentence, so you should not even link this second sentence to the first sentence when I mentioned the anime has an art style from the 90s.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 16, 2013 10:03 AM

Apr 2010
I want to bang my head into a wall!!
Why did i watch this and what did i just watch?
Apr 20, 2013 11:21 AM

Jul 2008
mora404 said:
No clue what I just watched. :/

me to
Apr 28, 2013 4:56 PM
Jul 2012
well damn this some good stuff.
girl jyfhgfbnfgnfcgbf.
May 16, 2013 11:59 PM

Oct 2012
Well, I enjoyed this...
I loved short anime, especially with long OP XD
And another strong woman has appeared!
P.S. Never ever judge girls from the appearance!!
"Signature removed"
Jul 1, 2013 10:19 PM

Aug 2012
i feel like i just got run over by a bus
Dec 21, 2014 8:46 AM

Jul 2012
lol she kept the key warm in there >_<

What did I just see?! a Kunai? :v

I'm starting to like this show ^^

Mar 8, 2015 12:50 AM
Jan 2014
It's like a non-ironic version of perfect hair forever
Oct 13, 2018 1:30 AM
Sep 2009
Animation's terrible, but the timing's good.

Herbivore male isn't the MC in a romcom. GOOD!
Short female manager isn't moe. GOOD!
Hotel located in a less-than-ideal part of town. GOOD!

Only three minutes because any longer I'd gouge my eyes out? GOOD! :P

Sep 7, 2020 6:22 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
It's definitely a weird hotel xD
Sep 26, 2022 10:03 AM

Jun 2016
This came out in 2013 but it looks like it's from 2004
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sparrow's Hotel Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2013

24 by bushman66 »»
Oct 20, 2022 6:57 PM

Poll: » Sparrow's Hotel Episode 11 Discussion

SilentTruth - Jun 18, 2013

10 by White_Alice »»
Dec 21, 2014 9:58 AM

Poll: » Sparrow's Hotel Episode 10 Discussion

SilentTruth - Jun 11, 2013

13 by White_Alice »»
Dec 21, 2014 9:54 AM

Poll: » Sparrow's Hotel Episode 9 Discussion

SilentTruth - Jun 4, 2013

15 by White_Alice »»
Dec 21, 2014 9:53 AM

Poll: » Sparrow's Hotel Episode 8 Discussion

SilentTruth - May 28, 2013

14 by White_Alice »»
Dec 21, 2014 9:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.