Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (30) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 9, 2013 2:33 AM

Apr 2009
Imanza said:
Sorry if this is in the wrong place guys, but I had to ask: where did they get the information that this anime would have 25 episodes? Is it from an article somewhere or did they guess based on how long the manga series is? Because the manga isn't even finished yet...

BD solicitation on Amazon.
Apr 9, 2013 3:05 AM

May 2009
Imanza said:
Sorry if this is in the wrong place guys, but I had to ask: where did they get the information that this anime would have 25 episodes? Is it from an article somewhere or did they guess based on how long the manga series is? Because the manga isn't even finished yet...
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-04-08/attack-on-titan-listed-with-25-episodes
Apr 9, 2013 8:13 AM

Nov 2010
ReasonDesu said:
ibrahim-almulhim said:
some say it's overrated

I say it's underrated

it should be rank #1

Not even 100 animu watched, Bleach on favorites. Yeah you can keep your opinions.

I enjoyed this but always find it funny how all the kiddywinks on MAL jump on the hype train each season, pointlessly giving out 10's to the flavor of the month. This will probably slide down to where it belongs later unless it is truly amazing (unless you have a time machine none of you know).
Hasn't even watched 300 anime, has Kino no Tabi on favorites, calls anime animu, Yeah you can keep your opinions.

How do you know it will probably slide down to where it belongs if you don't have a time machine?
Apr 9, 2013 8:15 AM

Jan 2012
IntroverTurtle said:

How do you know it will probably slide down to where it belongs if you don't have a time machine?

Because hype, that is all.
Apr 9, 2013 8:28 AM
Nov 2011
If it's faithful to the manga, it will live up to the hype.

Episode 1 is based on the weakest chapter in the manga.
Apr 9, 2013 8:34 AM

Dec 2012
ReasonDesu said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Because hype, that is all.
This so much... Guilty Crown and SAO are pretty good examples, GC is 7.83 and SAO is 8.35, and I'm sure you know about the hype surrounding them, SnK has recieved a lot of attention too and the score will not change much by the end unless they kill off Mikasa.
Apr 9, 2013 8:38 AM

Sep 2008
People should really stop getting their hopes up so high. That way they won't be as disappointed if the show ends up being bad.
Apr 9, 2013 8:51 AM

Feb 2009
So what if it has a good ranking?
People can give themselves any rank they want since this is their opinion on the anime. If they want to tank, let them rank. If not, then that's fine too.
Rankings always change so it's not permanent forever. Don't worry about it and chill'ax about it
Apr 9, 2013 8:55 AM
Nov 2011
It can go both ways.

People who rank it high will be disappointed if it fails to meet expectations

And people who complain about the early high rank will be disappointed if it keeps beating or meeting expectations.
Apr 9, 2013 9:25 AM

Jun 2007
pming said:

The weakest chapter? It's the most engaging, alongside the ones that follow, if anything. These are the parts that set-up the rest of the story, along with the motivations of the characters. And what follows is incredibly intense 'do or die' battles. The first 3ish volumes are all great. Only the female titan battles can top it.

Shingeki's at its weakest during the natural lulls in the story. The training flashback arc is the least interesting section. It was removed from in-between the early timeskip because the author obviously wanted to thrill his readers before risking losing attention as the story slowed down for extended characterisation.
Apr 9, 2013 9:31 AM
Nov 2011
AironicallyHuman said:
pming said:

The weakest chapter? It's the most engaging, alongside the ones that follow, if anything. These are the parts that set-up the rest of the story, along with the motivations of the characters. And what follows is incredibly intense 'do or die' battles. The first 3ish volumes are all great. Only the female titan battles can top it.

Shingeki's at its weakest during the natural lulls in the story. The training flashback arc is the least interesting section. It was removed from in-between the early timeskip because the author obviously wanted to thrill his readers before risking losing attention as the story slowed down for extended characterisation.

I consider chapter one the weakest because we haven't met most of the cast and most of the narrative is spend explaining the situation, rather than character development.

Also, I see way too many complaints about Eren as he is in chapter one. Not to mention that chapter one is too easily interpreted as why Eren is so angry at the Titans, cause they killed his mom. (Very shonen.)
Apr 9, 2013 9:42 AM

Jul 2012
I don't blame them. But let's face it, it's not like their rates are permanent, we can easily change them once the show gets boring.
Apr 9, 2013 9:48 AM

Oct 2011
If you think Eren is bratty ... you're in for a surprise, let me tell you.
Apr 9, 2013 10:01 AM
Nov 2011
Since people keep on comparing to SAO, the following may alleviate concern.

First off, if this is harem or "moe" - the Japanese fandom would be mostly dudes with female fans panning it.

SnK though has a large female fanbase, so large that the most popular ship in the JP fandom is a m/m ship.

But, no - it doesn't mean that the fandom is overrun by fujoshi. Lots of guy fans as well cause even though there's no fanservice, the SnK ladies are smoking hot.

Plus, the mangaka did such a great job with character development that the character poll is 50% guys and 50% girls in the top ten spots.
Apr 9, 2013 10:05 AM

Apr 2013
pming said:
Since people keep on comparing to SAO, the following may alleviate concern.

First off, if this is harem or "moe" - the Japanese fandom would be mostly dudes with female fans panning it.

SnK though has a large female fanbase, so large that the most popular ship in the JP fandom is a m/m ship.

But, no - it doesn't mean that the fandom is overrun by fujoshi. Lots of guy fans as well cause even though there's no fanservice, the SnK ladies are smoking hot.

Plus, the mangaka did such a great job with character development that the character poll is 50% guys and 50% girls in the top ten spots.

SnK will not turn into a moe/harem.. it will stick to his roots I'm sure of it.
Apr 9, 2013 10:10 AM

Jun 2007
Polychrome said:

Any doubts people hold over Eren being your average shounen hero will be thrust aside during Mikasa's backstory reveal, which will be soon since it occurs near the start. Quite simply, shounen heroes don't do such piercing actions.

...Mikasa is the best character in the series, anyway.
Apr 9, 2013 10:36 AM

Sep 2009
Dear everyone:

Calm the fuck down. It isn't that good. All of one freaking episode is out.
Apr 9, 2013 11:14 AM
Aug 2012
AironicallyHuman said:
Any doubts people hold over Eren being your average shounen hero will be thrust aside during Mikasa's backstory reveal, which will be soon since it occurs near the start.
Episode two, no? But seriously..
Apr 9, 2013 11:29 AM

Apr 2013
AironicallyHuman said:
Polychrome said:

Any doubts people hold over Eren being your average shounen hero will be thrust aside during Mikasa's backstory reveal, which will be soon since it occurs near the start. Quite simply, shounen heroes don't do such piercing actions.

...Mikasa is the best character in the series, anyway.

Mikasa is number 1, followed by Rivaille.
Apr 9, 2013 11:52 AM
Jul 2012
OfficialGuts said:

rivaille is such a boss when he walks like this
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/83611/shingeki-no-kyojin_v7_ch30_by_tdx
obvious spoiler btw
Apr 9, 2013 11:56 AM

Apr 2013
Lolack said:
OfficialGuts said:

rivaille is such a boss when he walks like this
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/83611/shingeki-no-kyojin_v7_ch30_by_tdx
obvious spoiler btw

Yeah and the lack of emotions adds to the fucking awesomeness that he is.
Apr 9, 2013 12:20 PM

Sep 2011
Haha yeah I was about to start a thread on this. I honestly don't know anything about this anime/manga other than the insane amount of hype its gotten on MAL.

I mean really after 1 episode its already #23? They really need to stop letting people vote on an anime till after its complete; or has at least 1 season completed.
FullmetalRaikouApr 9, 2013 12:25 PM
Apr 9, 2013 12:22 PM
Aug 2012
RomanceDawn said:
Haha yeah I was about to start a thread on this. I honestly don't know anything about this anime/manga other than the insane amount of hype its gotten on MAL.

I mean really after 1 episode its already #24? They really need to stop letting people vote on an anime till after its complete; or has at least 1 season completed.
Well, the people that DO KNOW something about the manga, seeing how well the first two chapters were adapted, rated the anime accordingly. Don't see anything wrong with that, if it fucks up we will lower the rating.

The people that designed this site aren't idiots, you know.
Apr 9, 2013 1:03 PM
Nov 2009
we can still downgrade later. I gave a 8 myself, I never gave more than 9, we'll see if they deliver with the ending.
Apr 9, 2013 1:24 PM

Feb 2013
As I said on the "Episode 1" thread, it's just the first episode. It's also an anime adapted from an ongoing manga, therefore it won't have a proper ending, it will probably be left in a cliffhanger (with the hope of a new season after a few years) or it will end with an anime original touch. It might be a long run from the top downwards as the story progresses. That is also why I never rate anime until the end (or close to the end).
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Apr 9, 2013 1:38 PM
Nov 2009
Berserk never had a proper ending (even if they could just finish that last episode). They're doing a film now, but the manga is far from ending. Same with Claymore.

I guess the huge cliffhanger will happen, people will just have to read the manga to understand what this is about.

I don't mind, the quality of the first episode was really good, more people will read the manga after that. Now... when the cliffhanger will happen...
Apr 9, 2013 1:46 PM

Jan 2012
People are idiots, voting after one episode. Rating should be disabled at least until half of episodes are aired.
Apr 9, 2013 1:57 PM

Apr 2012
I still don't understand why the rating on MAL bother people so much. I never pay much attention to ratings at all. I rated this after one episode based on what I've seen so far lots of people do it for their own reasons.

Just because you wait til x number of episode or until the end doesn't mean everyone has to. Last time I checked this website was called my anime list. And on my anime list I rate after the first episode and change it accordingly. Let people do what they want, the ratings aren't that serious anyway.

LuvreiApr 9, 2013 2:01 PM
Apr 9, 2013 2:00 PM

Feb 2013
Rating is actually handy, it's not useless. It saves you a lot of time when you are uncertain on whether an anime is good or not. The MAL system is actually flawed.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Apr 9, 2013 2:05 PM

Apr 2010
I remember when Shinsekai Yori had low rating at first, but that changed after a half season.
The opposite thing might happen to this anime. It seems to have great potential, though. But the possibility is still there, I'm a bit worried about what ending they might come up with and if there are gonna be fillers.

Optime olere occisum hostem!
Apr 9, 2013 2:05 PM

Feb 2012
people are just stupid enough to give a 10 for one episode,and this episode wasnt even so good,it was just fine.
Apr 9, 2013 2:15 PM
Nov 2009
Luvrei said:
I still don't understand why the rating on MAL bother people so much. I never pay much attention to ratings at all. I rated this after one episode based on what I've seen so far lots of people do it for their own reasons.

Just because you wait til x number of episode or until the end doesn't mean everyone has to. Last time I checked this website was called my anime list. And on my anime list I rate after the first episode and change it accordingly. Let people do what they want, the ratings aren't that serious anyway.

same here. I don't really care about the overall ranking, I only rate my anime if I want to recommend them to a friend.
Apr 9, 2013 2:16 PM

Sep 2012
Even with the system being flawed a rating still gives a somwehat indication how good anime can be. Usually 7ish being generic etc. ofcourse there are always exceptions.
UkkoclapApr 9, 2013 2:19 PM
Apr 9, 2013 2:16 PM
Mar 2013
and this episode wasnt even so good,it was just fine.

That my dear sir, is you own personal opinion. It is not correct for you to start labelling people 'stupid' because they do not think in the manner you do. (:

I personally thought the quality of the anime was very high. Cinematic effects, plot, sound effects and other elements were played well in order to entice the viewer.

Perhaps you standards are far higher than others.
Apr 9, 2013 3:05 PM

Nov 2012
Usually when it comes to ratings, I don't care till the final episode. Though I have a feeling that the score might go down a bit depending on the ending.
Apr 9, 2013 3:08 PM

Nov 2012
Redcaa said:
and this episode wasnt even so good,it was just fine.

That my dear sir, is you own personal opinion. It is not correct for you to start labelling people 'stupid' because they do not think in the manner you do. (:

I personally thought the quality of the anime was very high. Cinematic effects, plot, sound effects and other elements were played well in order to entice the viewer.

Perhaps you standards are far higher than others.

Well I agree with him because it isn't a smart decision to give a 10 right off the bat for one single episode. Sure you can give an episode a perfect 10 but that doesn't sum it up for the rest of the series that has yet to air.
Apr 9, 2013 3:12 PM

Jan 2012
AnimeForDummies said:

Well I agree with him because it isn't a smart decision to give a 10 right off the bat for one single episode. Sure you can give an episode a perfect 10 but that doesn't sum it up for the rest of the series that has yet to air.

I agree with this. I'm one of the guys who gives a rating after 1 episode. I don't pretend to be a critic though and I only rate based on my own enjoyment. Ratings change often and are weighed up at the end of the show. I have never rated a show 10 after 1 episode though. An anime just cannot show me enough in one episode to deserve it, not yet anyway. Maybe one day it will happen, but I doubt it.
Apr 9, 2013 3:13 PM
Sep 2012
The best first episode in the history of anime, ofc it'll get high ratings!!!
Apr 9, 2013 3:57 PM

Apr 2012
For people who have read the manga, I can somewhat understand them rating it so early. However I'm going to hold off on my rating until half way through the series.
Apr 9, 2013 3:59 PM

Apr 2012
antonn said:
Must be a pretty amazing show. Since this is the first time this has ever happened on MAL.

This actually happens a lot for highly anticipated shows. Like SAO
Apr 9, 2013 4:07 PM

May 2011
Ragix said:
leokiko said:
Ragix said:
Well, unfortunately, a lot of the members of MAL like rating anime based off of an episode or two.

I rate my favorite shows by episode actually. I give the rating I think it deserves for its first episode, then change it accordingly as it goes on.

In other words if you think the first episode let's say deserves a 10, but then the second deserves an 8 you would change the total score to like a 9 or something along those lines?(Just curious as to how your system works)

Yes, more or less. I find it fun to measure my enjoyment of the show that way.
Apr 9, 2013 4:09 PM
Sep 2012
Some men just wanna watch math or common sense burn :/

This "rate at first ep" complaints don't make sense. As long as the site allows it, it's there and it's justified. You are all acting as if by some chance, this show becomes terrible in episode 5, it'd be too late to avoid giving it a 10, but you can always change the score.

Half-dim-wits
Apr 9, 2013 4:23 PM

Oct 2009
ecimir said:
People are idiots, voting after one episode. Rating should be disabled at least until half of episodes are aired.

It's not stupid at all, some people rate by episode, so it might change as the anime goes on. Personally i prefer to give it a score in the end, unless it is a very long anime.
Apr 9, 2013 6:17 PM
Nov 2011
If the ratings system isn't suppose to be by episode, I think some coding could fix that by allowing only ratings after minimum number of episodes have been aired to be counted.

And hey, at least MAL now has a non-harem/moe series that got into the Top 20 after one episode. (Not just SAO.)

===
How are top anime/manga scores calculated?
Only scores where a user has completed at least 1/5 of the anime/manga are calculated.

Example: If you watched a 26 episode series, this means you would had to have watched at least 5 episodes (26/5.2)=5. We're using 5.2 instead of 5 so we get a whole number for "most" series.

Formula
Weighted Rank (WR) = (v / (v + m)) * S + (m / (v + m)) * C
S = Average score for the Anime (mean).
v = Number of votes for the Anime = (Number of people scoring the Anime).
m = Minimum votes/scores required to get a calculated score (currently 50 scores required).
C = The mean score across the entire Anime DB.
===

Actually, I think the system is already in place. Don't know why SnK is even being ranked.
pmingApr 9, 2013 6:49 PM
Apr 9, 2013 8:33 PM

Apr 2009
Pirating_Ninja said:
Invalidated said:
Calumz said:

people are aloud to review the first episode and rate based on the first episode

i can tell from this first episode ima love every single episode

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=575801

Remember that anime Guilty Crown? That was an awesome anime, Everyone gave it a 10 on episode one and of course, after the ending it still was awesome no? Or SAO, that was another sick one wasn't it?

-_-

Btw love that your name is Invalidated.

i loved soa from first episode didnt change

i loved magi from first episode didnt change
Apr 9, 2013 9:23 PM

Aug 2012
Calumz said:

i loved soa from first episode didnt change

i loved magi from first episode didnt change

Speaking of, I sure am glad A-1 wasn't the one to pick this up :D
Apr 9, 2013 9:26 PM

Oct 2012
lol, just wait until...

EPISODE 3
/#1
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Apr 9, 2013 9:35 PM
Nov 2011
Itermin8rX said:
lol, just wait until...

EPISODE 3
/#1

Even though I really like SnK a lot and think it deserves a place even in the top 10, I'd rather that it doesn't shred through the ranks (that) fast.

The manga isn't young anymore, so it's okay to see it in the top 10 bestselling manga lists. But the anime is still so young.
Apr 9, 2013 9:42 PM

Feb 2011
And yet people still have to learn that tastes are different. And in connection to that are the ratings and the way they rate. Giving a first impression score is fully ok and I see nothing wrong with that. Like already been said, the ratings can/will change along with the progress of the series. Personally I think a show/movie shouldn't be judged by score or reviews anyway, as they don't determine the quality of a show. Many people rate based on personal enjoyment, as do I, so what does the score show? It only shows how mass compatible a show is. Nothing more.
madhatter10Apr 9, 2013 10:37 PM
Apr 9, 2013 9:44 PM

Jan 2013
Did you actually create a calculation for rating anime? -_-
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (30) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» The GOAT first episode

Bolbysaur - Apr 17

42 by BETTY_ »»
Yesterday, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 25, 2013

971 by Confessor0 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» Bug on the app

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 13

3 by Jackson_rajkumar »»
Apr 15, 4:46 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1651 by c444de »»
Apr 14, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2013

940 by 4amps »»
Apr 11, 9:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.