Forum Settings
Forums

FUNimation to Announce 10 New Licenses in 10 Days

New
Dec 16, 2008 1:56 AM
Sep 2007
Starting on December 22, FUNimation Entertainment will announce a new anime license everyday for the next ten days. This will be done on the special page on their website. Clues and hints regarding what shows they will be are promised and will appear somewhere on their site soon.

Source: 12/15/08 FUNimation Quickie Podcast

Thanks to Mario1-7 for the news tip.

UPDATES:
12/22 - Ikkitousen
12/23 - Gad Guard
12/24 - Vandread
12/25 - Nabari no Ou
12/26 - Last Exile
12/27 - Oh! Edo Rocket
12/28 - Gankutsuou
12/29 - Slayers Revolution + Slayers Evolution-R
12/30 - Gungrave
12/31 - Samurai Champloo

12/31 - Soul Eater
12/31 - Rebuild of Evangelion: 1.0 YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE
freedo-Jan 3, 2009 2:26 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 16, 2008 1:59 AM

Sep 2007
Shikabane Hime: Kuro?. . .
Dec 16, 2008 1:59 AM

Jan 2007
I read about this earlier today. I can't wait to see what shows they license. Of the ten, there has to be at least a few shows that is worth buying for me.
Dec 16, 2008 2:08 AM

Sep 2008
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Seto no Hanayome
Minami-ke
To-LOVE-Ru
Shakugan no Shana II
To Aru Majutsu no Index
Toradora!
D.Gray-man
Gintama
Hell Girl Season 2

These are my top 10 picks
Go Watch Sumomo momo Its epic. It has not gotten much attention... Episode 1
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v83597095dreGdW#comments
Dec 16, 2008 2:23 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Fuck, no.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Dec 16, 2008 2:25 AM
Dec 2007
Mario1-7 said:
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Seto no Hanayome
Minami-ke
To-LOVE-Ru
Shakugan no Shana II
To Aru Majutsu no Index
Toradora!
D.Gray-man
Gintama
Hell Girl Season 2

Seto no Hanayome has already been announced by FUNi I think, under the name Seto's Bride. Appart from that, you're probably right on Jigoku Shoujo 2, Shana 2, and Toradora!. For the rest, I don't have much clues but you may be right on some other titles too.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Dec 16, 2008 2:27 AM

Feb 2008
They already licensed D.Gray-man

Dec 16, 2008 2:28 AM

Mar 2008
Mario1-7 said:
Shakugan no Shana II
Gintama

I agree on those 2 alone.

Mario1-7 said:
D.Gray-man

Um, FUNimation already licensed that months ago.

Virgil said:
They already licensed D.Gray-man

That's what I'm trying to tell Mario1-7.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Dec 16, 2008 2:33 AM

Feb 2008
cyruz said:
Fuck, no.
QFT.

All this means is the rest of the world is screwed. Thanks, Funimation!

Edit: I don't mind them licensing stuff but if they stop fansubs with C&Ds they can go fuck themselves. The world is more than America.
Dec 16, 2008 2:47 AM

Apr 2007
Hope there all shows that aren't airing anymore. Licensing after finished = hell yeah. Licensing before finished =
cyruz said:
Fuck, no.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 16, 2008 2:54 AM

Feb 2008
kuroshiroi said:
cyruz said:
Fuck, no.
QFT.

Edit: I don't mind them licensing stuff but if they stop fansubs with C&Ds they can go fuck themselves. The world is more than America.

Yeah, they don't realise (or they don't care) that people in most other countries don't have absolutely any other way of watching something except online, with fansubs. The only things we had here on TV were Sailor Moon, Candy Candy, Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh. I don't know if there's even a place here where you can buy DVD-s, not that I would ever buy anything that's dubbed. Just because America has licensed anime, that doesn't apply to the rest of the world.
Dec 16, 2008 3:02 AM

Aug 2008
FUNimation SUX all the way~

Hope all the shows has finished airing already :D

My Anime Lists: AniDB & MAL
Dec 16, 2008 3:13 AM

Aug 2008
10 Anime!? Finished airing or not it's still
cyruz said:
Fuck, no.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.
Dec 16, 2008 3:24 AM

Feb 2008
Tonka17 said:

Yeah, they don't realise (or they don't care) that people in most other countries don't have absolutely any other way of watching something except online, with fansubs. The only things we had here on TV were Sailor Moon, Candy Candy, Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh. I don't know if there's even a place here where you can buy DVD-s, not that I would ever buy anything that's dubbed. Just because America has licensed anime, that doesn't apply to the rest of the world.
Don't get me wrong, I'm willing to pay for my anime, I'm even willing to pay Funimation but I'm not willing to pay the amount they're asking for anime I've not seen before. Since I don't live in the US and A I have no way of doing that if they stop fansubbing. The people living there get both streaming subs and the ability to buy it down the road at 7/11 or whatever so it's nice for them but we get shafted.

When I can buy episodes online in fansub comparable quality with subs for the measly sum of $0.5 to $1 per episode, with the option to upgrade to DVDs/BDs for maybe $1 to $2 per episode, come talk to me. That seems to be the standard price for TV DVDs, why not anime? I'm even willing to use my upload bandwidth to make it even cheaper for them to distribute episodes online to me and everybody else.

tl;dr: Make animu cheaper/more accessible and more people will pay.

/end rant and apologies if this was too much OT.

Yay for SnH, if that ever gets released that is.
Dec 16, 2008 3:38 AM

May 2008
cyruz said:
Fuck, no.

agreed.

Seto licensed.......by funimation......where's my nuke?
Dec 16, 2008 3:49 AM
Jan 2008
Ugh, wtf again? I'm going to disable the news panel.

Dec 16, 2008 3:59 AM

Jan 2008
So the world ends in a couple days eh? Knew this was going to happen. *sigh*
Hello!
Dec 16, 2008 4:54 AM

Nov 2007
Jacut said:
Mario1-7 said:
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Seto no Hanayome
Minami-ke
To-LOVE-Ru
Shakugan no Shana II
To Aru Majutsu no Index
Toradora!
D.Gray-man
Gintama
Hell Girl Season 2

Seto no Hanayome has already been announced by FUNi I think, under the name Seto's Bride. Appart from that, you're probably right on Jigoku Shoujo 2, Shana 2, and Toradora!. For the rest, I don't have much clues but you may be right on some other titles too.

I bet you they'll get the Vampire Knight seasons. They're just too popular to pass up.

Part of me is begging for FUNi to get Nodame liscenced...
Dec 16, 2008 5:19 AM

Apr 2008
Ummm, no thanks. :(

If Toradora! ever gets licensed, Bandai should get it. Because they actually do a good job on dubbing. And they won't randomly put Vic Mignogna somewhere in the cast.

FAIL!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 16, 2008 6:32 AM

Apr 2008
Suspense and licensing? Those bastards.
Dec 16, 2008 6:46 AM

Oct 2007
oh they should have done 12 licenses in 12 days rofl
Dec 16, 2008 7:34 AM

Oct 2007
FUNimation are licensing anime? Those filthy bastards, how dare they try to bring anime to the USA like that!

Seriously, though, I'm excited. I can't wait to see what they have. :D
KuyuDec 16, 2008 7:39 AM
You can find me on IRC.
Dec 16, 2008 7:35 AM

Apr 2008
Kuyukly said:
FUNimation are licensing anime? Those filthy bastards, how dare they try to bring anime to the USA like that!

In all seriousness, I'm excited. I can't wait to see what they have. :D

I dunno, how would you like it if all of a sudden you couldn't get subs for, say, To Aru Majutsu no Index? For a year? And then had to pay for it?
Dec 16, 2008 7:40 AM

Aug 2008
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
THE WORLD HAS COME TO AN END!!!
I am too lazy to make a signature.
Dec 16, 2008 7:40 AM

Jul 2008
Mario1-7 said:
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Seto no Hanayome
Minami-ke
To-LOVE-Ru
Shakugan no Shana II
To Aru Majutsu no Index
Toradora!
D.Gray-man
Gintama
Hell Girl Season 2

as far as im aware gintama and DGM are already licensed
Dec 16, 2008 7:41 AM

Aug 2008
yah DGM is getting released in January.
I am too lazy to make a signature.

Oct 2007
Plate said:
Kuyukly said:

I dunno, how would you like it if all of a sudden you couldn't get subs for, say, To Aru Majutsu no Index? For a year? And then had to pay for it?

How many subbers actually heed the C&Ds? I've been able to find full subs of every show I've heard that FUNi sent a C&D for.

And if FUNi did license Index, I'll gladly pay for it since I'm not a cheap bastard and actually want to support the industry.
You can find me on IRC.

Jul 2008
Plate said:
Kuyukly said:

THIS

im just glad the subbers arent caring anymore and have started sibbing licensed stuff again anyways

Dec 16, 2008 7:42 AM

Jul 2008
AlchemicOtaku said:
yah DGM is getting released in January.

yea and that we have to wait like 3 years for it

FUCK YOU REGION PROTECTION

i need to get a new dvd player
Dec 16, 2008 7:44 AM

Apr 2008
Kuyukly said:
How many subbers actually heed the C&Ds? I've been able to find full subs of every show I've heard that FUNi sent a C&D for.

A lot of them do. Though, not necessarily Funi's.

And either a) it takes a while for someone with balls to pick it up or b) all groups drop it but one. For shows with only one fansub group, this is especially harsh. Used to be really bad in 2006-7

But licensing sucks more for manga, imo.
Dec 16, 2008 8:01 AM

Jan 2008
Plate said:
Kuyukly said:

But really - let's be honerst. Missing out on Index is just like missing out on the Flu.
-N0iR-Dec 16, 2008 8:12 AM
~five exclamation marks is the sure sign of an insane mind~
Dec 16, 2008 8:02 AM

Apr 2008
-N0iR- said:
Plate said:
Kuyukly said:

But really - let's be honorst. Missing out on Index is just like missing out on the Flu.

It was an example, I saw it in Kuyu's sig. XD
Dec 16, 2008 8:08 AM

Jan 2008
Plate said:
-N0iR- said:
Plate said:
Kuyukly said:

But really - let's be honerst. Missing out on Index is just like missing out on the Flu.

It was an example, I saw it in Kuyu's sig. XD

Either way - It is not a valid argument!
As a fan you should support the industry when they decide to licence stuff - not undermine it. None of the "but omg - why is i only america - that is so cheat" etc. arguments hold either. They are not arguments but manifistations of selfishness, greed and spoiled children-esque behaviour.

And heck - I don't live in America either, but business is business - and without it we might aswell all become communists.
-N0iR-Dec 16, 2008 8:13 AM
Dec 16, 2008 8:15 AM

Oct 2007
kuroshiroi said:
The world is more than America.

Correct! I wish they'd see that.
Dec 16, 2008 8:16 AM

Oct 2007
I hope they got Index, Casshern, and Kannagi at least :D
You can find me on IRC.
Dec 16, 2008 8:29 AM

Apr 2008
-N0iR- said:

Either way - It is not a valid argument!
As a fan you should support the industry when they decide to licence stuff - not undermine it. None of the "but omg - why is i only america - that is so cheat" etc. arguments hold either. They are not arguments but manifistations of selfishness, greed and spoiled children-esque behaviour.

And heck - I don't live in America either, but business is business - and without it we might aswell all become communists.

"As a fan, you should support them" is not a valid argument either. At least mine was an argument from convenience, you're almost at a no true scotsman fallacy.

As a fan, I see no reason to support the American anime industry. Got any reasons other than "because"?
Dec 16, 2008 8:33 AM

Feb 2008
Plate said:
As a fan, I see no reason to support the American anime industry.
Indeed, I wish the Japanese anime industry would man up and give us subs and leave Funimation and co. out in the cold. Unfortunately that's not very likely to happen anytime soon.
Dec 16, 2008 8:47 AM

Mar 2007
Plate said:
As a fan, I see no reason to support the American anime industry.

omg, gtfo u communist
You've come a long way, baby.
Dec 16, 2008 8:52 AM

Aug 2008
kuroshiroi said:
cyruz said:
Fuck, no.
QFT.

Agreed.

Almost 100% is Seto no Hanay... pardon me "My Bride is a Mermaid!"... My God, they screw up even titles. Funimation is even worse than 4kids.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Dec 16, 2008 8:52 AM

Jan 2008
My guesses are: Hajime no Ippo 2nd, Higurashi Rei, Axis Powers Hetalia and FMA2. So we, Eurofags won't have a chance to get to see these awesome animes =(

And shame on you guys for supporting democracy. =P
Dec 16, 2008 9:01 AM

Jan 2008
Plate said:

As a fan, I see no reason to support the American anime industry. Got any reasons other than "because"?

Nope - you just proved my point perfectly - thank you.
Dec 16, 2008 9:07 AM

Apr 2008
-N0iR- said:
Plate said:

Nope - you just proved my point perfectly - thank you.

Lawl, when in doubt be a condescending douchebag
Dec 16, 2008 9:13 AM

Apr 2008
hey If this happens will it affect the sub groups, will it still be available for downloadin?
Dec 16, 2008 9:14 AM

Jan 2008
Skyler92 said:
hey If this happens will it affect the sub groups, will it still be available for downloadin?

depends on their ethics
Dec 16, 2008 9:23 AM

Mar 2007
This news makes me happy, and I look forward to seeing what they will announce :)

Dec 16, 2008 9:29 AM
Dec 2007
-N0iR- said:
Skyler92 said:

depends on their ethics
I think Toaru should be safe then... those guys didn't relent to Geneon in the past, they are not likely to buckle under the pressure of Funi.

That said, they better as hell pick up Soul Eater, since they already forced the subbers to stop.

And my two cents: The american anime industry is as much a gigantic mountain of fail as the Music and Movie industries. It's all about taking every little cent out of our hands, making us pay unreasonable prices for so-so translations and, in most cases, mediocre dubs. Apparently none of them realize we are not exactly packing infinite mountains of money.
Leon-GunDec 16, 2008 9:34 AM

Dec 16, 2008 9:31 AM

Aug 2008
ntHai said:
My guesses are: Hajime no Ippo 2nd, Higurashi Rei, Axis Powers Hetalia and FMA2. So we, Eurofags won't have a chance to get to see these awesome animes =(

And shame on you guys for supporting democracy. =P
Oooh, I'd love Axis Powers Hetalia on DVD (even though I've obviously only read it so far). But I'll still watch it raw/subbed/whatever I can get my mits on beforehand.
Dec 16, 2008 9:56 AM

Jan 2008
Antanaru said:
kuroshiroi said:
cyruz said:
Fuck, no.
QFT.

Agreed.

Almost 100% is Seto no Hanay... pardon me "My Bride is a Mermaid!"... My God, they screw up even titles. Funimation is even worse than 4kids.

But not as bad as disney at dubbing. 4kids has had four good series, actually two. Disney only had the four movies that you cant screw up, savers, which sucks, and dragon drive, be merciful on it disney

Dec 16, 2008 10:03 AM

Jul 2007
Oooh, I wonder what it'll be that they announce :D
-waits patiently to find out what the animu's are-

You told me to make you feel [color=#CC6600]like you're in heaven
[/color]
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Oniichan wa Oshimai!' Gets TV Anime

Vindstot - Apr 21, 2022

44 by Lenoksu »»
5 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - 10 hours ago

4 by yamiyugi101 »»
6 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

3 by ToyaMochizuki »»
8 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

16 by Jonas-K »»
9 hours ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/18]

Snow - Apr 5

28 by infanf »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.