Forum Settings
Forums

Can men and women really ''just be friends''?

New
Pages (15) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Mar 20, 2013 4:48 PM

Mar 2012
I'd like to believe it was possible, but I'm not 100% sure it is.

EDIT: There are exceptions too the rule, such as if 2 people grow up together, think they can be friends because often you find that you don't really have any sexual feelings for people you've known since childhood.
NicoleMar 20, 2013 4:55 PM
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Mar 20, 2013 7:40 PM

Oct 2009
Nicole said:
I'd like to believe it was possible, but I'm not 100% sure it is.

EDIT: There are exceptions too the rule, such as if 2 people grow up together, think they can be friends because often you find that you don't really have any sexual feelings for people you've known since childhood.

Did you mean Westermarck effect? I doubt it.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Mar 21, 2013 9:37 AM

Jan 2011
Baptism said:
I live with a girl and we hang out, just the two of us, pretty well every day. I'm not attracted to her and I assume I never will be. It's not hard at all.

That's the key phrase right there.
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Mar 21, 2013 11:41 AM

Mar 2012
Key to what, sorry?
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Mar 21, 2013 11:50 AM

Jun 2011
no, but you can maybe in elementary..... not high school or college

usually at least one of them have some special feelings for the other....

Girls have high standards well a lot of them so i believe it's often the guy even that video proved it,
Mar 21, 2013 11:53 AM
May 2012
Baptism said:
Key to what, sorry?
Assuming he meant there would be no sexual tension if he didn't find her attractive. The disgusting creatures men can be. Sorry, my feminist side has taken over, yet again.
Mar 21, 2013 11:54 AM

Sep 2012
Sophilia said:
Baptism said:
Key to what, sorry?
Assuming he meant there would be no sexual tension if he didn't find her attractive. The disgusting creatures men can be. Sorry, my feminist side has taken over, yet again.

The feminist creatures women can be.
Mar 21, 2013 12:06 PM

Apr 2012
Sophilia said:
Baptism said:
Key to what, sorry?

Because sexual attraction is some how a male gender trait? lol?
Let's be real NO ONE is going to have sex with someone they think are unattractive unless they have a few drinks and even then..... no.

yea this ain't gonna happen. Even though she isn't that attractive. I think you get my point

Mar 21, 2013 12:08 PM
May 2012

You obviously misinterpreted everything said above in the quote tower and beyond.
Mar 21, 2013 12:16 PM

Apr 2012
Sophilia said:

You obviously misinterpreted everything said above in the quote tower and beyond.

What did i misinterpret. Please enlighten me.
if you aren't attracted to a female then you can be "just friends" was the assertion.
Then you went on to say men are disgusting because, tell me if i'm wrong, they are shallow for feeling this way. Then I went on to say not only men feel this way many women do as well.

Mar 21, 2013 12:18 PM

Mar 2012
Sophilia said:
Baptism said:
Key to what, sorry?
But she is a sexually attractive person. Our relationship just developed in such a way (~magic~) that I am no longer sexually attracted to her, if I ever was. I can say that she is sexual attractive without wanting to her sex with her, in the same way you might say so about a sibling.

Just thought I should clear that up so people don't start with "lul ugly gurlz are an exception." This is directed at other people more than at you, by the way, haha.
LoneWolf said:
Mar 21, 2013 12:21 PM
May 2012
Zeally said:
Sophilia said:

What did i misinterpret. Please enlighten me.
if you aren't attracted to a female then you can be "just friends" was the assertion.
Then you went on to say men are disgusting because, tell me if i'm wrong, they are shallow.
To begin, I was obviously joking. Second, I was going on with what Vinter said, implying that men automatically yield to their sexual desires when having an attractive female friend.
Baptism said:
Sophilia said:
Baptism said:
Key to what, sorry?
But she is a sexually attractive person. Our relationship just developed in such a way (~magic~) that I am no longer sexually attracted to her, if I ever was. I can say that she is sexual attractive without wanting to her sex with her, in the same way you might say so about a sibling.

Just thought I should clear that up so people don't start with "lul ugly gurlz are an exception." This is directed at other people more than at you, by the way, haha.
Sorry, I guess my joke wasn't as apparent as I had originally intended it to be.
Mar 21, 2013 12:30 PM

Mar 2012
Sophilia said:
Sorry, I guess my joke wasn't as apparent as I had originally intended it to be.
Oh, no worries. I'm probably just dense.
LoneWolf said:
Mar 21, 2013 12:43 PM

Mar 2012
Sophilia said:
Baptism said:
Key to what, sorry?

feminazi! D:
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Mar 21, 2013 12:44 PM

Mar 2012
Zeally said:
Let's be real NO ONE is going to have sex with someone they think are unattractive

Except this happens all the time.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Mar 21, 2013 1:11 PM

Oct 2010
Well, one of my bestfriends is a guy, and we have treated each other as just friends for 3 years with no problems. I can easily say that i just think of him as a friend, not because he's ugly or nothing like that, but because that's the way our relationship is. I think it's too cliche to say a guy and a girl will, for sure, develop feelings or desires for each other, that's just the way conservative people think.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Mar 21, 2013 1:18 PM

Sep 2012
allanalemos said:
Well, one of my bestfriends is a guy, and we have treated each other as just friends for 3 years with no problems. I can easily say that i just think of him as a friend, not because he's ugly or nothing like that, but because that's the way our relationship is. I think it's too cliche to say a guy and a girl will, for sure, develop feelings or desires for each other, that's just the way conservative people think.

That's called friendzone.
Mar 21, 2013 1:32 PM

Aug 2012
Litrydow said:
allanalemos said:

That's called friendzone.

Yup, pretty much. The friendzone is when you get rejected and the person who rejected you wants to be your friend instead. Other than that, the friendzone is a myth created by shy-yet-sexually-frustrated-teenagers who don't have the guts to ask out the person they like.
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Mar 21, 2013 1:40 PM

May 2009
I think it's possible. There is one male friend I could never, ever be sexually attracted to. We didn't grow up together or anything, I met him when I was in junior high, and our relationship just developped into some sort of brother-sister type of relationship. Everyone thinks we'd make a great couple, but we both just kinda find it gross and somewhat funny. I am absolutely certain that we could never have any other kind of relationship, but the fact that there is only one man I feel this way about (and I don't think there will be anyone else in the future) makes me wonder if this isn't something really unusual.

I am also somewhat attracted to women, but unlike with guys, there are many women in my life I could never look at as anything but friends.
Mar 21, 2013 2:24 PM

Jan 2013
The topic title made me think: What we can say about this for friends of opposite sex that has sexual activity between each other, and not really lovers? Just for the sake of pleasure?

Just a random thought.

Mar 21, 2013 2:28 PM

Apr 2008
QueenJenny said:
Can men and women really ''just be friends''?

We have some successful inter-species friendship here so I suppose a friendship from two members of the same species is possible.
Mar 21, 2013 2:59 PM

Oct 2009
012yArthur0 said:
The topic title made me think: What we can say about this for friends of opposite sex that has sexual activity between each other, and not really lovers? Just for the sake of pleasure?

Just a random thought.

Sex friend or one night stand?
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Mar 21, 2013 3:35 PM

May 2011
If the guy friend is gay, yes they can be friends.
If the guy is married and has a girl that is a friend; they better damn stay as friends.
If they are single they can stay as friends, heck I've been friend-zoned every time I befriended a person; so it is possible.

“Girls can wear jeans and cut their hair short and wear shirts and boots because it’s okay to be a boy; for girls it’s like promotion. But for a boy to look like a girl is degrading, according to you, because secretly you believe that being a girl is degrading.”—Ian McEwan, The Cement Garden (1978)
Mar 21, 2013 3:47 PM

Jan 2011
Baptism said:
Sophilia said:
Baptism said:
Key to what, sorry?

I'm fairly certain that's the exact opposite of how sexual attraction works.
You can perhaps say that you realize that other people would find her attractive, but if you don't want to have sex with her, then you don't find her sexually attractive.
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Mar 21, 2013 3:57 PM

Aug 2012
I find her friendshiply attractive
Mar 21, 2013 4:49 PM

Jul 2012
Ghostony said:
I find her friendshiply attractive

i see you and your italics. but i forgive you b/c your replies today are clever. carry on.
Mar 21, 2013 5:09 PM

Mar 2012
Vinter said:
Baptism said:

You can perhaps say that you realize that other people would find her attractive, but if you don't want to have sex with her, then you don't find her sexually attractive.
This is getting a bit too technical, but the distinction I am trying to make is something like "she is sexually attractive" as opposed to "I find her sexually attractive." The best way I can describe it is that if I didn't know her, I would find her sexually attractive, but because of the way our friendship developed, I don't. Her appearance is unchanged and so there is no reason for me to suddenly pretend that she isn't an attractive person, even if I no longer find her attractive. I know that sounds confusing as hell, but it makes perfect sense in my head.

The bottom line is that anyone can be friends with anyone.
JoshMar 21, 2013 5:25 PM
LoneWolf said:
Mar 21, 2013 5:14 PM

Mar 2012
azzuRe said:
012yArthur0 said:

Just a random thought.
Sex friend or one night stand?
What do you mean by sex friend? Friend with benefits (you're primarily friends, but you also have sex) or "fuck buddy" (you just have sex)? I wouldn't really count the second one, which is sounds like you might be referring to, a type of friendship. Maybe acquaintanceship or something like that, lol.
LoneWolf said:
Mar 21, 2013 6:39 PM

Feb 2005
Well, the GF of one of my friends for example, is pretty hot, so I totally wouldn't mind banging her. But of course I won't, and neither me nor my young Thomas agonize over it so yea, I guess we can be friends then.
Mar 21, 2013 7:08 PM

Oct 2010
wheelock said:
Baptism said:
Vinter said:
Baptism said:

This is getting a bit too technical, but the distinction I am trying to make is something like "she is a sexually attractive" as opposed to "I find her sexually attractive." The best way I can describe it is that if I didn't know her, I would find her sexually attractive, but because of the way our friendship developed, I don't. Her appearance is unchanged and so there is no reason for me to suddenly pretend that she isn't an attractive person, even if I no longer find her attractive. I know that sounds confusing as hell, but it makes perfect sense in my head.

The bottom line is that anyone can be friends with anyone.

It makes complete sense to me, and I agree.

allanalemos said:

ಠ_ರೃ And extra points to you, sir, for being an ignorant, generalizing twat.

Well, i was not generalizing, i was telling my point of view. I just can't understand how in the XXI century can people still think that a men and a women can't just be friends. For me, it's just that simple, sorry.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Mar 24, 2013 2:01 PM

Sep 2011
LOL. I ended up thinking about this earlier today. I remembered a saying something along the lines of that kindness is so rare in today's society that we mistake it for flirtation.

^ Then that reminded me of a time when my lab partner was one of the most popular boys in the school. (story time) I originally thought he'd be a d-bag, but he turned out to be nice guy and we got along well. Pretty soon we were talking in the halls and joking around with each other. Then some other idiot walked up to me during lab and told me, "What would you do if (name) came to your house naked?" This kid was smiling and giggling. It pissed me off but I just brushed it off and said, "Wouldn't that make you jealous?" And that's the end of it. Me and that other kid are now in college and we see each other around campus and still chat. I'm even good friends with some of his other friends and I get along with his girlfriend. A friend is a friend, regardless of gender.

If you think that guys and girls can't just be friends, then your mind is at the level of development as a middle school boy.
"Cheer up, you’re never alone! There is probably at least 1 bug in your room."
Mar 25, 2013 11:29 AM

May 2012
Well I guess

I'm friends with a girl, but i'm not super close to them
Mar 25, 2013 11:39 AM

Dec 2009
Of course they can.

I've had plenty of guy friends in which neither side has fallen for the other.
Mar 25, 2013 12:07 PM

Aug 2009
Yes. To a certain degree..
Mar 25, 2013 12:40 PM

Jul 2012
Propater said:

whats a certain degree?
Mar 25, 2013 12:42 PM

Apr 2011
duh. Of course!
Mar 25, 2013 12:54 PM

Aug 2012
That awkward moment.. when I realize most of my friends are girls...

For some reason it's easier for me to be friends with girls than guys... Idk, I think it's because I don't have interest in math, sports, fps games, the specs of hardware, or the statistics of anything
Mar 25, 2013 1:07 PM

Mar 2013
I think most of the time it's just easier to talk to someone of the same gender
but ultimately all that should matter is if your have similar interests one and two if you can stand being around the other person without going completely insane
"I reject your reality and substitute my own"
Mar 25, 2013 1:24 PM

Mar 2012
daintybiscuit said:
Propater said:
whats a certain degree?
I think she means 'no'.
LoneWolf said:
Mar 25, 2013 1:41 PM

Feb 2013
< like my avatar says
[ though i don`t have any female friends will there some females but u wouldn`t call them my friends]
Mar 25, 2013 4:39 PM

Oct 2008
Yea. It's called the friend zone.
Mar 25, 2013 4:42 PM
Jul 2018
What a stupid question, --obviously yes.
Its not like all men and women have to fuck every opposite sex they see.

People who say no sound like they instantly rape every opposite sex they talk to.
Mar 25, 2013 6:35 PM

Oct 2012
Yes, but more than likely, one person will end up falling for the other person. Not saying that it always happens, but I've seen it happen so many times.
Mar 25, 2013 7:23 PM

Feb 2010
PervMASTER said:
What a stupid question, --obviously yes.
Its not like all men and women have to fuck every opposite sex they see.

In the No side's defense, they're referring (I assume) to men and women who are reasonably familiar with each other.
Mar 25, 2013 7:25 PM

Aug 2009
neonmarkers said:
Yes, but more than likely, one person will end up falling for the other person.
Or in my case, staying friends after a break-up because the romantic relationship wasn't working out.

Mar 25, 2013 7:28 PM

Nov 2007
Yes, I have several male friends that has no love feelings (well, we became friends just when I still didn't think the world is such a s**t).
tsubasaloverMar 25, 2013 7:33 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 25, 2013 7:56 PM

Oct 2012
I've been friends with a lot of women, doesn't negate the fact I'd probably sleep with them, but be more than friends? nty, because I'm their friend I know what they are really like, definitely not gf material.
Mar 26, 2013 2:20 AM

Jul 2008
Girls: Yes
Boys: No

case closed
Mar 26, 2013 11:54 AM

Sep 2012
Yes. I can care about others without having romantic feelings for them.
Mar 26, 2013 12:20 PM

Dec 2012
I have a female friend...and she's kinda ugly...but I don't think that has nothing to do.
Pages (15) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» which country would you NOT want to visit? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 27

67 by Rhaelynne »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » Is intelligence overrated?

pludel2 - Mar 29

28 by tsukareru »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

33 by elgatosaika »»
39 minutes ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Apr 24

31 by tsukareru »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - 3 hours ago

7 by LoveYourEyes »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.