Forum Settings
Forums

8,000 Blu-rays of Suisei no Gargantia Episodes 1 & 2 To Be Distributed Free at ACE2013

New
Mar 15, 2013 6:11 AM

Feb 2008
According to the official website, Bandai Visual announced that they will distribute Blu-rays containing the first two episodes of Suisei no Gargantia at Anime Contents Expo (ACE) 2013 to be held on March 30th and 31st. A total of 8,000 copies will be distributed free to the visitors.

Trailer

The first episode of the anime will be aired on April 7th on Tokyo MX TV.

Source: Gargantia official website
NaruleachMar 15, 2013 1:16 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 15, 2013 6:13 AM

Jun 2008
Lucky bastards
Mar 15, 2013 6:16 AM

Dec 2010
Wow... they're really gone all out to promote this stuff
Dizzee said:
Lucky bastards
I agree...
Mar 15, 2013 6:30 AM
Sep 2012
It is free so they will not count the 8k as sales. A big laugh if the resale will be less than 8k though. That would be quite embarrassing.
Mar 15, 2013 6:33 AM

Sep 2011
What..8000 Copies.

Thats like 500k+ free.
Mar 15, 2013 6:33 AM

Sep 2012
Does that count into vol.1 "sales"? Ha ha ha Of course since they are not sold but distributed free so I guess not. Otherwise we'll have a season top out of a sudden before OreImo and Railgun or Uta-Prince even gets their chance to speak LOL

dtshyk said:
Trailer
I got "The uploader has not made this video available in your country" error...
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 15, 2013 6:40 AM

Oct 2007
Fucking hell, Bandai.
Mar 15, 2013 6:51 AM

Sep 2012
One thing strikes me: These BDs have resell value but I can imagine a lot of people will try to sell it after watching it to cash in. Now I wonder what will be the resell price right after ACE...

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 15, 2013 7:19 AM

Aug 2008
That might be more than they can hope to sell from BD Vol.1
Mar 15, 2013 7:23 AM

Jun 2012
I hope the show does well saleswise for Butch Gen and Production IG but as for the show itself I'm cautiously optimistic.
Mar 15, 2013 7:31 AM
Feb 2012
Guess someone's got too much cash. Or they're just desperately trying to make the show appealing to the masses.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Mar 15, 2013 7:33 AM

May 2011
Wish I could be there. :(
Mar 15, 2013 7:58 AM

Jun 2011
Whoa, 8k blu-rays, how much that would be? It will be a gamble whether they can promote this stuff successfully or not, or else.. Wow
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 15, 2013 8:07 AM

Jan 2012
Never even heard of this show before, and just watched the PV. Loving the setting, and for once. The 3D isn't god awfull. Lets hope this goes in the right direction! And that one of those 8000 puts a raw online for subbing...
Mar 15, 2013 8:24 AM

Aug 2010
Wow... Never heard of the show, but looks like they're doing some heavy marketing for this show.. :O
Mar 15, 2013 8:27 AM
Jan 2013
If they're going this far to promote it, they might really think it's something exceptionally awesome compared to the others they've done, and Madoka Magica is part of those.
Mar 15, 2013 8:39 AM

Jan 2011
BASED UROBUTCHER
dtshyk said:
Trailer

The first episode of the anime will be aired on April 7th on Tokyo MX TV.

Let the healing begin.
[center]
Mar 15, 2013 8:41 AM

Aug 2011
I don't know about anyone else, but to me, this sounds like an act of desperation to get people into the anime.
Mar 15, 2013 8:44 AM

Sep 2012
DraconisMarch said:
I don't know about anyone else, but to me, this sounds like an act of desperation to get people into the anime.
An act to get people into the anime, yes. I am thinking it more like bold than desperate though.

Sep 2012
Oh god, that so much money, wish i was there, tho.
I'm looking foward to this series, i will love this new season.
Alcyone. Electra. Maia. Taygeta. Calaeno. Asterope. Merope.
By the blessing of the Seven Sisters,
I descend from four hundred lightyears in space!
I AM MR PLEIADES!!

Jul 2011
GuiltyKing said:
Guess someone's got too much cash. Or they're just desperately trying to make the show appealing to the masses.

The second I guess.
Mar 15, 2013 8:48 AM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
But who are the usual attendees of ACE? Is it more of an industry event, or is it open to the public, where regular fans can attend?
The usual anime fans. Just think those who go to events like Comiket. ACE (Anime Contents Expo) was started in 2011 by a bunch of industry leaders like Kadokawa and Aniplex as a rival event against Tokyo International Anime Fair that was run by the Tokyo government, as a protest against Governor Ishihara's push for censorship law that year (the law unfortunately passed at the end). Everyone who paid the 1500 yen entrance fee can participate. I believe last year's attendance is >100k over 2 days so it is a fairly large public anime event.

Mar 15, 2013 9:28 AM

Aug 2008
symbv said:
The usual anime fans. Just think those who go to events like Comiket. ACE (Anime Contents Expo) was started in 2011 by a bunch of industry leaders like Kadokawa and Aniplex as a rival event against Tokyo International Anime Fair that was run by the Tokyo government, as a protest against Governor Ishihara's push for censorship law that year (the law unfortunately passed at the end). Everyone who paid the 1500 yen entrance fee can participate. I believe last year's attendance is >100k over 2 days so it is a fairly large public anime event.

I think is fair to say that ACE is starting to feel more fan oriented, while Tokyo Anime Fair still feels more industry oriented. Also According to official sources ACE attendance was around 42k over 2 days last year, while TAF got an attendance of 98k over 4 days.
Otaku no naka no Otaku, Otaking ni narimasu -- Otaku no Video, Gainax, 1992.
Mar 15, 2013 9:48 AM

Nov 2008
DraconisMarch said:

well one might see it that way
Mar 15, 2013 9:50 AM

Sep 2012
cat_clan said:
I think is fair to say that ACE is starting to feel more fan oriented, while Tokyo Anime Fair still feels more industry oriented. Also According to official sources ACE attendance was around 42k over 2 days last year, while TAF got an attendance of 98k over 4 days.
I believe the slogan and founding concept of ACE, which is "against censorship", struck a chord with many anime fans. I am impressed that big players like Kadokawa, Aniplex and Media Factory etc chose to break away from TAF to form ACE. Even though their plan in 2011 was upended by the tsunami/quake that year, 2012 the event went on with resoundingly positive feedback.

Oh yes, I have just checked and you are right. 41,628 for ACE over 2 days and 98,923 for TAF over 4 days.

Mar 15, 2013 9:51 AM

Aug 2008
You see free BD, I see early subs with BD quality.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Mar 15, 2013 9:56 AM

Jan 2011
Antanaru said:
You see free BD, I see early subs with BD quality.

Would be cool if one of the 8,000 are kind enough to upload it for us.
[center]
Mar 15, 2013 10:14 AM
Dec 2012
dtshyk said:
Suisei no Gargantia

That info page has an error. It's not aired yet.

jmal said:
I don't actually know what the discs will cost.

Discs themselves are quite cheap, and it doesn't cost so much to press 8,000 discs. Perhaps it's much smaller money compared to conventional ad money (e.g. cost for TV commercial).

symbv said:
I am impressed that big players like Kadokawa, Aniplex and Media Factory etc chose to break away from TAF to form ACE..

Yeah that's intriguing enough. But in general, gov-driven events don't work well anyway.
eminagnamMar 15, 2013 10:22 AM
Mar 15, 2013 10:27 AM

Nov 2008
I get the feeling I'll be seeing those put up for auction on Yahoo Japan Auctions soon after.

Mar 15, 2013 1:51 PM

Jul 2012
Dizzee said:
Lucky bastards

My thoughts exactly...
Wecc said:
All Hail HaXXspetten King of the Loli Traps!

Mar 15, 2013 2:16 PM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
eminagnam said:
jmal said:
I don't actually know what the discs will cost.
Discs themselves are quite cheap, and it doesn't cost so much to press 8,000 discs. Perhaps it's much smaller money compared to conventional ad money (e.g. cost for TV commercial).

I meant that I don't know what MSRP they'll set for the retail releases, so I used a standard MSRP of ¥7140 to calculate the theoretical "value" of 8,000 BDs given away.

I wonder, will these 8000 pressings come in a plain sleeve or something fancy? I expect plain in which case the value would be much lower. I expect that the box and artwork of a limited edition first pressing of anime cost more than the actual BD these days.
Mar 15, 2013 2:31 PM

Jun 2008
Not interested in the anime, but i still want it just because it's free
Mar 15, 2013 2:49 PM

Nov 2011
A bold move, better hope it pays dividends.
Mar 15, 2013 3:40 PM

Mar 2012
DraconisMarch said:
Desparation? It's got Urobutcher's name attached to it. It's going to sell like mad no matter what. I'd say it's more like a bold marketing tactic.
Mar 15, 2013 4:22 PM

Mar 2012
funny thing, I don't even want to watch that, even after reading this
Mar 15, 2013 7:03 PM

Apr 2011
awww so unfair ;__;
Mar 15, 2013 7:04 PM
Feb 2012
wtf? Never heard of this. The story sounds somewhat like full metal panic.Which sounds interesting lol
I desire money. Not because I am poor or because I am greedy. It is because with money I will gain power and with that power I will be able to change the world.
Mar 15, 2013 8:42 PM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
hpulley said:
I wonder, will these 8000 pressings come in a plain sleeve or something fancy? I expect plain in which case the value would be much lower. I expect that the box and artwork of a limited edition first pressing of anime cost more than the actual BD these days.
Yeah, definitely. I'm expecting something like a little cardboard CD/DVD/BD sleeve and that's it.
No no no, if you check the official blog of the anime, you can see the sleeve is no cardboard sleeve but a proper jacket. Of course it will not have any extra bundle like in a Limited Edition but it is not no-frills packaging either.

Check http://gargantia.jp/blog/?p=138

Mar 16, 2013 12:13 AM
Aug 2011
BASED UROBUTCHER.

Production IG. Don't shit up
Mar 16, 2013 3:05 AM

Apr 2011
Damn... that sounds like a bad marketing move... 8,000 BDs which could have been made part of their profit just go up in smoke... damn guys... just damn.
"I left everything I own in One Piece" ~ Gol D. Roger
Mar 16, 2013 6:51 AM

Jun 2010
They must be confident about this.
Mar 16, 2013 1:12 PM

Oct 2007
Meruru_Arls said:
Damn... that sounds like a bad marketing move... 8,000 BDs which could have been made part of their profit just go up in smoke... damn guys... just damn.

They'll just bundle some sort of event ticket with the first BD volume to get people who already have a free copy interested.
all for fun.fun for all
Mar 16, 2013 4:43 PM

Jan 2008
/random Naruko Hanaharu fan walks by
"Oh look new anime with Naruko Hanaharu orignal character design!? I didn't know!"
/watches
Not a single fuck given.

On a serious note, I'm guessing this just means we'll have two episode a week earlier.
Mar 16, 2013 7:31 PM

Sep 2012
Besides better packaging and enticing bundles of extra, there is also one way to boost BD vol.1 sales - by packaging THREE episodes in that volume. Since this freebie has only 2 episodes, people who want to collect for the series have no choice but to buy vol.1 as well. They can even get a trade-in system by offering discount to those who trade in the freebie if they buy the actual vol.1 This should help the final sales of vol.1 to quite some extent.

Mar 22, 2013 12:43 AM

Feb 2009
BDs themselves are relatively cheap compared to their selling price.
And those BDs will probably contain TV versions of the episodes. People will be able to see them on TV just a week later anyway.
The packaging is simple as well, so no damage to the sales of the actual BD release will be done.
So I don't think it's an act of desperation.
Mar 22, 2013 11:09 AM

Jul 2012
Well, if people are talking about it, it's working. Looking forward to seeing it.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Mar 30, 2013 2:18 AM
Sep 2012
They're selling the Box-sets of the show in ACE today. Basically what they're planning to do is 1 volume consisting of 4 episodes. 3 volumes in total plus an OVA. I'll assume the Box contains the three volumes plus some extras. People who got these two blurays got ripped off.

Lantis...this company..wtf
Mar 30, 2013 9:08 AM

Sep 2012
bippo said:
They're selling the Box-sets of the show in ACE today. Basically what they're planning to do is 1 volume consisting of 4 episodes. 3 volumes in total plus an OVA. I'll assume the Box contains the three volumes plus some extras.
They are already selling the BD box-sets? Are you sure? What I heard is that they only announced the format of the BD release, which is 3 box-sets, each of which has 4 TV episodes plus 1 OVA. I don't think they are actually selling any box sets there...

Anyway, it is kind of to be expected. What I was sure is that they will not sell the BD in the simple standard format of 1 disc containing 2 episodes. I thought it will be one volume holding 3 episodes with lots of extra, so what we see now is just pushing it up to another level - 4 episodes with lots of extra including even an OVA.
symbvMar 30, 2013 10:17 AM

Mar 30, 2013 10:05 AM

Apr 2010
http://gargantia.jp/blog/?p=179

BD-Box 1 (eps 1-4 + OVA): 16800yen, 7/26

I will be very interested in seeing how this sells... doing 3 box sets where each one costs 175 dollars seems risky. 525 for the full series, and its not even 2 cour.

Apr 4, 2013 3:55 AM

Jun 2012
I don't want to to be that guy, but has anyone considered that there might be something sinister about this and that perhaps these blu-rays might be tracked or something? This could all be an experiment to collect data on pirating and whatnot. It sounds really out there and farfetched, but don't any of you find it suspicious they're giving away 8000 free copies, on blu-ray no less? It's suspicious.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Oniichan wa Oshimai!' Gets TV Anime

Vindstot - Apr 21, 2022

44 by Lenoksu »»
16 seconds ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - 5 hours ago

4 by yamiyugi101 »»
39 minutes ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

3 by ToyaMochizuki »»
3 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

16 by Jonas-K »»
4 hours ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/18]

Snow - Apr 5

28 by infanf »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.