Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 25, 2013 8:38 AM

Aug 2008
I was talking with my friend when my friend brought up this topic and when I said U.S., they all said China would. I then went home and ask my mom and then friends and they even said China.

Why? Am I the only one out of my family and friends that believes that U.S. would win?

No nuke btw. what are you guys opinions on this?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 25, 2013 8:51 AM

Nov 2011
What kind off war? What are the objectives? China cant invade USA. USA can invade China but they cant really win against the PLA waging an all out defensive war, it will just turn to a bloody meat grinder. Realistically, both sides will growl, thump their chests for a while and than go back to trading. $$$>>>War.
The Art of Eight
Feb 25, 2013 8:52 AM

Sep 2011
USA
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Feb 25, 2013 8:52 AM

Sep 2012
dankickyou said:
What kind off war?
Thumb war.

US wins. Hands down.
Feb 25, 2013 8:54 AM

Sep 2012
Canada and Germany win as the US and China beat each other into a quivering bloody pulp.
Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?
Feb 25, 2013 9:09 AM

Nov 2011
Red_Keys said:
dankickyou said:
What kind off war?
Thumb war.

US wins. Hands down.

Chinese thumbs have kung-fu, American thumbs are obese.
The Art of Eight
Feb 25, 2013 9:10 AM

Mar 2012
Red_Keys said:
dankickyou said:
What kind off war?
Thumb war.

US wins. Hands down.

Definitely, US thumbs are much bigger than Chinese thumbs.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Feb 25, 2013 9:11 AM

Jul 2012
canada
Feb 25, 2013 9:11 AM

Nov 2012
USA.
Come at me, MAL.

Im a Devil's advocate. Its just too fun.
Running on borrowed time.

Feb 25, 2013 9:13 AM
Jul 2012
USA USA USA

YOU DONT FUCK WITH THE RED WHITE AND BLUE
Feb 25, 2013 9:17 AM
Jul 2018
NicoleB said:
Red_Keys said:
dankickyou said:
What kind off war?
Thumb war.
US wins. Hands down.

Definitely, US thumbs are much bigger than Chinese thumbs.
So are their trigger fingers.

Oct 2012
usa
RRRRRRRRRR

Nov 2009
Depends really. It won't be as much physical war as it it cybernetic. Both countries have insane hacking abilities and will probs use it to the fullest to interrupt or stall the economy of the other. It depends who can do it first.
If we're talking military power, U.S. hands down. Stealth bombers are unmatched, and China's supposed version is either nonexistent or not up to par. U.S. nuclear aircraft carriers will trump at sea and in air, and our fleet def trumps China. Plus if it turns into a land war, U.S fcking has more modern warfare experience than any other country in the world right now. We know how to fight a modern day war. And how long has it been since China ever fought a war?

Feb 25, 2013 9:18 AM

Nov 2011
No really. No one wins. OP hasnt even given the details of the war. Who is invading whom? Is NATO onboard? Did China preemptively strike USA bases in Japan and Korea to cripple their projection? What?
The Art of Eight
Feb 25, 2013 9:26 AM

Nov 2009
If say theoretically there was a war between U.S. and China, wats NATO gonna do? This is 2 of the worlds most powerful countries butting heads. As catastrophic as it is gonna be to the worldwide economy, NATO WILL have to intervene, and it will most likely turn into World War III.
But for the sake of this thread, lets just assume the war is JUST between China and U.S. In all likelihood, U.S. will do the invading. We're good at it, and our army is tested and has plenty of field experience. Although fighting a defensive war is much easier. it all comes down to sustainability. Given the U.S. economy right now, sustainability is an issue, so we'll probs keel over first. China however, has an untested army right now, and its economy is mainly “import/ assimilate/re-innovate”. Simply put, they take western products, revamp them, and resell them. They don't really make their own technological devices. The U.S. will simply move production back home, potentially improve the economy, and leave China's to wither. As I said, it all comes down to sustainability. Who can maintain the war effort the longest?

Feb 25, 2013 9:29 AM

Oct 2012
JavierR said:
USA USA USA

YOU DONT FUCK WITH THE RED WHITE AND BLUE
Too bad red, white and blue are also the colours of England, France and the Netherlands, and they are all using em for longer then the US...
Feb 25, 2013 9:37 AM

Nov 2011
Phanotak said:
If say theoretically there was a war between U.S. and China, wats NATO gonna do? This is 2 of the worlds most powerful countries butting heads. As catastrophic as it is gonna be to the worldwide economy, NATO WILL have to intervene, and it will most likely turn into World War III.
But for the sake of this thread, lets just assume the war is JUST between China and U.S. In all likelihood, U.S. will do the invading. We're good at it, and our army is tested and has plenty of field experience. Although fighting a defensive war is much easier. it all comes down to sustainability. Given the U.S. economy right now, sustainability is an issue, so we'll probs keel over first. China however, has an untested army right now, and its economy is mainly “import/ assimilate/re-innovate”. Simply put, they take western products, revamp them, and resell them. They don't really make their own technological devices. The U.S. will simply move production back home, potentially improve the economy, and leave China's to wither. As I said, it all comes down to sustainability. Who can maintain the war effort the longest?

No. Invading China is borderline impossible. The land is WAY too large and varied with a population base that is 4 times higher than the US. It also has a powerful industrial base and the biggest steel producer in the world (a good sign for military industrialization) Their tech is inferior to US tech but that alone doesnt win wars. The logistics of invading China is insane. And China has good anti Aircraft and anti-ship capacity and the PLA is largely modern and well trained (not to mention large). Unlike the rabble in Iraq/Afghanistan, Chinese infantry has good anti-armor properties. Besides that, a simple draft would bolster the PLA numbers to insane heights. And Finally, the Population of China isnt going to take an invasion sitting down. These are people who have nationalist parades as a hobby. They are definitely proud and wont take kindly to a foreign invader. Imagine guerrilla warfare like Vietnam with a 1.4 billion population with modern weapons technology.
The Art of Eight
Feb 25, 2013 9:38 AM

Nov 2008
US vs China will never happen and if it did, a bloody stalemate will be the result.

Feb 25, 2013 9:40 AM

Dec 2009
Feb 25, 2013 9:41 AM

Nov 2011
bottle said:

that's cool. But a marksman from 200 meters away will kill him dead.
The Art of Eight
Feb 25, 2013 9:48 AM

Sep 2011
dankickyou said:

With his thumb?
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Feb 25, 2013 10:02 AM

Apr 2008
Right now: The US - by far.

30-50 years from now? - You never know.

As some people have already mentioned by then war will be as much about how badass your team of hackers is as it is about military hardware at the moment.

What one mustn't under-estimate on the physical front is the US's huge military budget and state of the art 5th gen fighter jets along with unmanned drones. - In the future unmanned systems will eclipse physical troops in the states.

China on the other hand - while technologically "behind" somewhat is actually catching up quicker than expected thanks to the amount of information they've managed to steal from the pentagon by hacking. The j-20 (their 5th generation fighter) is already operational but has yet to be mass produced similarly I feel most technological advances on one side will quickly be mirrored on the other seeing as how it's so difficult to protect information nowadays. I believe the Chinese also successfully stole stealth helicopter tech from the downed copter in the bin laden raid.

China's main advantage of course is its system of government - i.e. the communist party, which has indoctrinated its populace into becoming human parts of the much larger machine that is the people's republic it will be very very easy for them to rely on their huge population and a policy of conscription if the time comes, it will also be impossible to overthrow their government by aiding revolutionaries (which - as recent history has taught us is seen as a policy that is preferable to all out war).
Feb 25, 2013 10:17 AM

Jun 2012
The U.S would win that battle 9 times out of 10.
Feb 25, 2013 10:28 AM

Oct 2012
dankickyou said:
bottle said:

Guess 200 is the only thing US forces can manage these days, even though an m16 is accurate up to 400 meters...
Feb 25, 2013 10:40 AM
Dec 2012
The U.S obviously.
Feb 25, 2013 10:49 AM

Feb 2005
It's obviously impossible to just decide on a winner without more details.
Sure, the US has the best tech right now, and while they would never stand a chance in hell at invading China, they would likely be able to push them back and potentially besiege them.

Still, China has a bigger population and, as far as I'm aware, a bigger industrial potential. So who knows how it would actually turn out. Germany was vastly superior to Russia in the start of WWII, but the tide turned with a massive population and industry churning out cheap and effective materiel that overwhelmed the technologically superior Germans.

So it is not inconceivable that Chinese industry could break any siege and push the US back into a stalemate. And if the US attempted something as foolish as invading the Chinese mainland, they would most definitely be drowned out quickly, and the Chinese might push the front back to the US coastline.
But of course, this also depends on the internal situation in America, if the people are effectively unified and a full war economy fixes the myriads of economical and societal problems to a sufficient degree, they might turn out the victor too.
Feb 25, 2013 10:57 AM

Nov 2011
Baman said:

Still, China has a bigger population and, as far as I'm aware, a bigger industrial potential.

Steel production is a good place to look to measure their industrial capacity in war. And China is by far the biggest steel producers. They could mobilize those to great effect to support their war economy.
The Art of Eight
Feb 25, 2013 11:30 AM

Oct 2009
Baman said:
It's obviously impossible to just decide on a winner without more details.
Sure, the US has the best tech right now, and while they would never stand a chance in hell at invading China, they would likely be able to push them back and potentially besiege them.

Still, China has a bigger population and, as far as I'm aware, a bigger industrial potential. So who knows how it would actually turn out. Germany was vastly superior to Russia in the start of WWII, but the tide turned with a massive population and industry churning out cheap and effective materiel that overwhelmed the technologically superior Germans.

So it is not inconceivable that Chinese industry could break any siege and push the US back into a stalemate. And if the US attempted something as foolish as invading the Chinese mainland, they would most definitely be drowned out quickly, and the Chinese might push the front back to the US coastline.
But of course, this also depends on the internal situation in America, if the people are effectively unified and a full war economy fixes the myriads of economical and societal problems to a sufficient degree, they might turn out the victor too.

This isnt World War 2 where infantry was very important.

China currently has shit potential when it comes to conventional war with America. That is why China is focusing mainly on missile accumulation. That is the only way they might be able to do heavy damage to any American forces. Not to mention the fact that it's one-time-use crapshoot deterrent. China cannot even dream of pushing the front to the American coastline...I dont know where you come up with this stuff. Their navy literally is jack shit compared to American overkill navy. They have 1900 combat aircraft, vast majority of which are land-based and therefore limited in range. They have poor in-air fueling capabilities (they can only refuel maybe 100 in-flight aircraft at a time), and they are of lesser quality than most of America's 9000 aircraft, all of which have long range via carrier fleet and 100s of high-capacity refueling planes.

Population, army size, etc really mean nothing these days. Infrastructure, ability to deploy ordnance, missile defense, etc all are much more important. Sure infantry is important if youre chasing rebels hiding in mountains. But when youre facing the second biggest economy in the world with a ton to lose in the form of cities and infrastructure, all you need is to target those with fancy weapons. No need to occupy etc.

If you look at something like the Gulf War, you'll see why such things are important. Iraq had hundreds of thousands of troops and thousands of tanks and aircraft. most of the tanks and aircraft were completely defeated by America's superiour air force and the Iraqi soldiers could not do anything. Obviously China is a lot stronger, but the situation is stills imilar- America would win in the end. By the way, if Germany was not fighting a multi-front war, it would porbably have easily defeated Russia.

In all cases except maybe occupation of China (which is pointless from American standpoint), America currently has the overwhelming advantage since we waste all our money on military. God knows what new developing technologies the military has up its sleeves too. China wont be able to do a damn thing about supersonic, unmanned bombers with a range of thousands of miles.

The American people's view on the war probably wont matter either. Here, nobody gives a shit since war is so disconnected from them nowadays.

@OP

the reason everybody you know thinks China is big and powerful is because they are under the influence of American media. The government wants to bring about a feeling of fear of the growing "communist superpower" with a billion man army or whatever. Meanwhile, China really can't do much at all and is probably only interesting in defending itself and developing its economy. US government wants to create fear and maybe a pretense to to go to war? If US goes to war with China, the debt to China is gone lol. It's too bad that there's so much ignorance. People don't realize that America is the only country that can project such power anywhere on the planet and eclipses any other country in terms of military strength and spending.
RandomChampionFeb 25, 2013 11:45 AM
Feb 25, 2013 11:36 AM

Jun 2008
Serious Answer.....USA, and if they were serious about it....it wouldn't even be close.

But that's nothing to brag about.

The U.S is a backwards country, it spends more money on it's military than helping it's own citizens.

Personally, I detest the U.S government and army.
Feb 25, 2013 11:39 AM

Oct 2009
JustALEX said:
Serious Answer.....USA, and if they were serious about it....it wouldn't even be close.

But that's nothing to brag about.

The U.S is a backwards country, it spends more money on it's military than helping it's own citizens.

Personally, I detest the U.S government and army.

I'm with you on the current state of the government. But why the army? They are fellow Americans who mostly just sign up with the hopes of serving the country (or getting a job lol). They are betrayed by the government
Feb 25, 2013 11:42 AM

Jun 2011
USA MOTHERFUCKER. HOME OF THE FUCKING BRAVE

tfw no gf
tfw i keep getting the banhammer on here
tfw Koleare keeps banning me every other day
tfw I'm misunderstood by le mod
Feb 25, 2013 11:44 AM

Sep 2011
USA most likley but it'd be a hard fight

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 25, 2013 11:47 AM

Jun 2008
RandomChampion said:
I'm with you on the current state of the government. But why the army? They are fellow Americans who mostly just sign up with the hopes of serving the country (or getting a job lol). They are betrayed by the government

OK, I see your point and I'll clarify my statement.

I've got nothing against the soldiers and I understand why they do what they do.

I guess I should've said that I don't like the way the U.S handles it's military and the way they try to police the world.

That shouldn't be our job and because of it....we (U.S citizens) suffer a great deal.
Feb 25, 2013 12:55 PM

Mar 2012
What a stupid thing to think about.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Feb 25, 2013 1:07 PM

Aug 2012
Clearly the answer is Antarctica. I mean, they have fucking penguins!! They're living torpedoes!!!!
Feb 25, 2013 1:09 PM
Jul 2012
Usa
Feb 25, 2013 1:09 PM
Jul 2012
dankickyou said:
bottle said:

That is amazing
Feb 25, 2013 1:24 PM

Nov 2012
Feb 25, 2013 1:28 PM

Jan 2011
No matter the outcome, the real winner would be Europe. Both the US and China weaken themselves fighting a long and brutal war, then the EU sweeps in and takes over management of both places.
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Feb 25, 2013 1:46 PM

Sep 2012
LOL, I thought the US belonged to China.
Feb 25, 2013 1:59 PM

Nov 2012
USA

bottle said:

I'm the other.

Feb 25, 2013 2:03 PM

Dec 2012
USA will get their ass kicked by china.
Feb 25, 2013 2:05 PM

Feb 2005
RandomChampion said:
China cannot even dream of pushing the front to the American coastline...I dont know where you come up with this stuff. Their navy literally is jack shit compared to American overkill navy.
If you'd read my posts, you'd seen that I mentioned that as a possibility if America ruined itself in a hopeless land invasion, and obviously assuming a very protracted war over several years.

And of course, as the Op gave no specific scenario, I based this on a conventional war that doesn't involve indiscriminate destruction of infrastructure and levelling of cities. After all, it's not as if the US needs to demonize itself any more than it already does, and wholesale slaughter and carpet bombing would probably only serve to split it's own population, unless we have something like a apocalyptic all out nuclear war scenario where all parties throw their shit at the fans.
Obviously China is a lot stronger, but the situation is stills imilar- America would win in the end.
Well, China in full war economy mode would most certainly be way more than the US could chew, assuming as I said above, that they don't indiscriminately bomb cities and wreck everything. As long as China gets a little time to mobilize and churn out materiel, it will turn into a horrendous war of attrition for both parties.
If US goes to war with China, the debt to China is gone lol
They'd also severely weaken it's own economy and slide even further down the shitstained toilet they're trying to climb out of. So really, the scenario seems impossible either way, none of the parties would have any interest in a war. At best we might see a cold war situation with extended power play and puppeteering.
Vinter said:
No matter the outcome, the real winner would be Europe. Both the US and China weaken themselves fighting a long and brutal war, then the EU sweeps in and takes over management of both places.
Definitely. Russia, any European countries that have money to spend, and hell, India I bet, would have a ball seizing the economic initiative if the two superpowers foolishly headbutt each other.
Feb 25, 2013 2:29 PM

Jul 2012
Neither.

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Feb 25, 2013 2:32 PM
Feb 2013
Feb 25, 2013 2:43 PM

Jan 2013
Obviously USA, we spend more money on our military than the next 11 countries combined.
I don't have a signature.
Feb 25, 2013 3:09 PM

Jan 2011
Victory is relative to the objectives, bomb the industry bomb the roads and infrastructure and never set food on mainland China, is the only way the US would able to achieve any kind of victory otherwise it's Vietnam all over again.
Would the US do it? No they have to play the good guys, would China do it? No, being blockaded means civil war way before the US needs to fire a shot.
Feb 25, 2013 3:25 PM

Jul 2012
-____-

China no doubt.
הלב שלי כבר מת
Feb 25, 2013 3:28 PM

Oct 2010
Why would it be impossible for china to invade the US?
Feb 25, 2013 4:07 PM

Feb 2012
Russia.

iCameSwagYOLO420 said:
USA MOTHERFUCKER. HOME OF THE FUCKING BRAVE

I was laughing so hard during that scene.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

38 by cody »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - Today

28 by cody »»
22 minutes ago

» proxy

jackfrostenson - 1 hour ago

1 by vasipi4946 »»
59 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

677 by Crawlie »»
3 hours ago

» Over the years, I began to be repulsed by pork, is there any explanation for this?

Absurdo_N - Mar 26

25 by bevarnow »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.