Forums
New
Are your parents authoritarian or liberal
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 22, 2013 3:06 PM

Aug 2011
DenjaX said:
Lesley_Roberta said:

This kind of parenting is sooo unique! Dang, you are a good role model in that field!

You have my respects too! :D

Jan 22, 2013 3:24 PM

Aug 2012
Tachii said:
Regicide said:

Authoritarian:
Playing an instrument since childhood that your parent(s) told you to
Your parent(s) tell you to study an extreme amount
You don't go out on weekends
Sounds about right.

When we came to Canada though they kind of stopped caring. Maybe it was all this talk about freedom in Canada that got them contagious.

...They still want to me to get into medical school though.

Change Canada to United States and that's pretty much me
Jan 22, 2013 3:41 PM
Jul 2018
Bloodcalibur said:
Amadyeus said:
Narmy said:
Liberal to the point where they hardly parent.
^ this, I could pretty much be gone for a day or two without any notice.

Sounds like you aren't loved.
ez alright, don't lurve dem either.
Jan 22, 2013 4:20 PM

May 2010
What about a fourth opinion? A nonexistent parent?!
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jan 22, 2013 5:39 PM

Oct 2012
Regicide said:

Liberal:
Your childhood was relatively free
you play a sport you like
whats studying (when your parent tells you to)
weekends are not for studying but rather, free time
less focus on punishments

Dam! if thats liberal parenting my parents and my friend's parents must have been off the spectrum.

even when i was still in high school they were fine with me drinking and even smoking weed.

it was weird one time i tried to hide a trash bag full of beer cans by putting them under other bags of trash but when my dad took it to the curb he somehow found out anyway. and all he said was dont but the cans in the trash i could get a fine for not recycling.

and one time in college while home for the summer my parents caught me germinating some marijuana seeds before i planted them outside and somehow they had absolutely no problem with it
Jan 22, 2013 8:46 PM

Aug 2009
My parents are super liberal. I love them so much. I do wish that they had been a bit stricter with some of the things I got away with as a little kid, but I wouldn't change my parents - well I wouldn't change my mom; dad is a different story - for anything in the world.

The hardest thing I've ever done was move so far away from my mom. I have to make sure to skype her at least once a week and keep updated. She's one of my best friends and I can trust her with (ALMOST OH SO CLOSE) anything. I could seriously praise my mom all day.

She really makes me think of Lesley. Dude, you are one of the best parents I've ever heard of. I always make sure to take note of your parenting advice when I see it.

If there was one thing I wish I could change, though, is I wish my dad had been there for me more. He's not a very personal guy; for being half of him, I barely know anything about him. But we can't always come out on top.
Jan 22, 2013 11:30 PM

Sep 2012
tachii said:
...They still want to me to get into medical school though.

welcome to hell, where you compete with masters and doctorates for that 80 percentile on the MCAT
if you're not proficient in english you're going to get nailed on the essay and ethical case scenarios

good luck

@OP neutral
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 22, 2013 11:32 PM

Oct 2012
Why would you not be proficient in English?
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 23, 2013 12:08 AM

Sep 2012
katsucats said:
Why would you not be proficient in English?

majority of lifescience students are foreigner who are pursuing med school and CA doesn't have a standardized english proficiency test (unless you consider the CELPIP lol) so they get demolished on the MCAT
eventually students either dropout, take it again, pursue a phd/masters which inevitably leads to a 6/6/6 simply because they aren't proficient in english
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2013 3:04 AM

Dec 2007
I think they're neither. Or maybe a healthy mix of the two.

We weren't forced to play instruments or play sports, but support us whenever we express interest on something. I remember telling them that I want to be an astronomer, and they bought me all sorts of astronomy books.

We had a reward system at home. If my brother and I got high grades in school, they'd treat us to something. Same with the house chores. They appreciate it if we help with the dishes.

Possibly the only limit they impose is bed time. We sleep at 9pm on weekdays, no exceptions. That's when we were still in grade school.

After writing this, I realize they're great actually. Always supporting us, trusting us to make the right decisions in life.
Apr 23, 2013 2:39 PM

Apr 2009
Araby said:
biitchstick said:
My mom lets me do pretty much whatever I want and everything is fine. It's my dad who's strict and an asshole about every little thing all the way to the music I listen to. Thank God they're separated and I only have to see him once every two weeks.
I would be too if my daughter listened to My Chemical Romance.

Actually he'd be pretty happy if all i listened to was My chemical romance.
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Apr 23, 2013 2:55 PM
Jun 2012
the older i grow the liberal they get
Apr 23, 2013 2:56 PM

Dec 2012
drinkbeer said:
the older i grow the liberal they get
Apr 23, 2013 3:43 PM

May 2012
I really had no rules or restrictions. My mom really never cared what I did. I can go wherever, skip school whenever, have as many friends as I want over. She is forunate that I never took advantage of this. Honestly, It kind of sucks to not have an actual 'parent'. in the long run.
Apr 23, 2013 4:25 PM

Aug 2012
Parents : "liberal"

I never had requirements and hardly any expectations growing up.. my rules were basically "don't break the laws" and "don't get yourself killed". That's about it.

My grandparents on my moms side on the other hand.. are like the complete opposites. If I ever go to their house they set me up with a bunch of chores, even when I'm not at their house they signed me up for random stuff like basketball and kayaking, they expected me to get a highschool diploma and go to college, whereas my parents didn't care if I did or didn't.
grandparents also disliked my choice of clothings and tried to make me wear more formal stuff. They also like to drag me along to church every sunday.. and try to get me to join any church events... and it just goes on and on..
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Apr 23, 2013 4:34 PM

Apr 2013
Parents: Extremely authoritarian.

In some respects they are actually very liberal, but in most cases they are very authoritarian. For example, I am completely limited in my social endeavors...
The fact that they are exceedingly close minded or religious does not help either.
I wrote an API for MAL, written in pure Python.

It wraps around the Official MAL API and improves on it, as well as adding some new features. Check it out!:

Apr 23, 2013 4:46 PM

Feb 2012
Well my parents are very liberal, but in one aspect, they were so far liberal as to be almost authoritarian I guess?

What I mean is, that they're both doctors and I wanted to do astrophysics. They both said to me one day that they thought I was too creative for astrophysics and that I might find it boring. As such, I took multimedia at school and I'm now at film school and doing motion graphic design.

Best (kind of) decision they ever made for me.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - 5 hours ago

12 by deg »»
35 seconds ago

» whats your shoe size ?

sussybakagirl420 - Mar 22

21 by 707supremacist »»
3 minutes ago

» What do yall collect? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bevarnow - Jan 25

315 by Lightskynight »»
5 minutes ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - Yesterday

15 by 707supremacist »»
7 minutes ago

» What jobs do you all have? ( 1 2 )

AnxiousMike - Feb 11, 2023

80 by zoeanime13 »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.