cripes why can't i see the freaking pics sometimes
Jan 11, 2013 9:38 AM

Aug 2011
Interesting.

Jan 11, 2013 9:39 AM

Oct 2009
daintybiscuit said:
cripes why can't i see the freaking pics sometimes

hopefully i embedded it properly...im not really good with computer stuff. however, i do see it on my screen. it's a youtube video by the way
Jan 12, 2013 6:54 AM

Aug 2012
Good stuff, being reminded of the importance of the 'present moment' is always insightful.
Jan 12, 2013 7:55 AM

Oct 2012
That was beautiful. Makes you wanna quit your job and just go hike through a jungle somewhere ^^
"He's not dead, he's Katsura."
Jan 12, 2013 8:00 AM

Dec 2009
I should stop watching anime

Jan 12, 2013 8:18 AM

Jan 2013
Honestly that just makes my day worse.

Thanks OP.
Jan 12, 2013 8:34 AM

Oct 2012
RedArmyShogun said:

Thanks OP.

Depends how you look at it ;). If you look at the negative side of it, which is accepting death, then it's pretty bad, but the positive side is about embracing life, so it depends.
Jan 12, 2013 8:38 AM

Oct 2010
After reading all the reactions im kinda afraid to watch that video.
Jan 12, 2013 8:50 AM

Nov 2012
"The future never arrives" so true ;-;

Jan 12, 2013 8:53 AM

Jan 2013
HiddenVoice said:
RedArmyShogun said:

Thanks OP.

Depends how you look at it ;). If you look at the negative side of it, which is accepting death, then it's pretty bad, but the positive side is about embracing life, so it depends.

Nah in my case it reminds me of socio-economic realities, and the fact money is really what shows how "free" to live life you can be.
Jan 12, 2013 8:59 AM

Oct 2012
RedArmyShogun said:
HiddenVoice said:
RedArmyShogun said:

Thanks OP.

Nah in my case it reminds me of socio-economic realities, and the fact money is really what shows how "free" to live life you can be.

I'd say the more money you have, the less free you are/have been. If you've spent all your life earning money, then you have had no freedom. Relying on money too much also means that you are not truly free, as you are depending on something for everything.
Jan 12, 2013 9:03 AM

Jun 2008
"Summarize the video in one sentence. Preferably in less than 10 words." - paraphrasing Onepunch-man.
Jan 12, 2013 12:06 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Oh, Sam Harris. Cool.
Jan 12, 2013 12:17 PM

Jun 2012
wow dang this was a nice video tbh
really nice emotion invoking, i might be 17 but death could grab friends and family anytime etc and wording
although its interesting how he says present hedonism is the right way to go cause I think a lot of people live like that (they enjoy themselves in the present) and then regret it later. Lots of people on their deathbed repent what they did in life because they were looking for so much fulfillment in the future that wasn't going to come and I agree, thats foolish. But a lot of present hedonists regret what they do. They regret that they broke a law now for fulfillment or did that one night stand. I think Harris' solution to the problem of psychological fulfillment isn't going to help a lot of people, because we haven't undergone a paradigm shift yet. Psychologically people will regret everything they do, no matter whether or not their present hedonist, past positive or future oriented. people just need to look over that they wasted time and realize that they did what they did in that amount of time, and that gives fulfillment by death. Thats the beauty of life, imo.
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Jan 12, 2013 12:53 PM

Oct 2009
Regicide said:
wow dang this was a nice video tbh
really nice emotion invoking, i might be 17 but death could grab friends and family anytime etc and wording
although its interesting how he says present hedonism is the right way to go cause I think a lot of people live like that (they enjoy themselves in the present) and then regret it later. Lots of people on their deathbed repent what they did in life because they were looking for so much fulfillment in the future that wasn't going to come and I agree, thats foolish. But a lot of present hedonists regret what they do. They regret that they broke a law now for fulfillment or did that one night stand. I think Harris' solution to the problem of psychological fulfillment isn't going to help a lot of people, because we haven't undergone a paradigm shift yet. Psychologically people will regret everything they do, no matter whether or not their present hedonist, past positive or future oriented. people just need to look over that they wasted time and realize that they did what they did in that amount of time, and that gives fulfillment by death. Thats the beauty of life, imo.

interesting comment

However, he is not advocating hedonism. Hedonism dictates that pure pleasure is the only intrinsic good, and is heavily characterized by sensual indulgence. In fact, Harris warns against such practices in his speech (ex - when he warned of doing things like watching a bad movie for a fourth time). He says this because, like you said, such actions can and probably will lead to regret. They will only lead to regret if they do not relate to any goal you might have.

Basically, I think the main message is something along the lines of doing things in life that propel you to some extent to your goals and such (which is why HiddenVoice made that topic about life goals I think). You have to know what you really want in life and always live for it. You mentioned yourself both of the extremes - working hard towards something (like money etc) that wont truly make you happy, which could be regrettable on the deathbed since you never got to get what you truly wanted; OR indulging and never getting to make the most of your life and achieve your goals, which could also lead to regret.

People won't always regret everything they do. There are people who die peacefully knowing that theyve done everything they wanted to and achieved all that they have achieved (or died trying).

It's a simple matter of knowing what you want and acting towards it.
Jan 12, 2013 4:00 PM

Jun 2012
i said present hedonism not hedonism op
plz read

your second paragraph is future oriented which is what harris didn't want you to do
i don't think he resolved the issue (as people still haven't resolved this problem cause the vast majority still die with regrets)

you don't know what you want today compared to the next day or the next year, decade, etc
life is hard
thats all i got from it
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Jan 15, 2013 12:27 PM

Oct 2009
Regicide said:
i said present hedonism not hedonism op
plz read

your second paragraph is future oriented which is what harris didn't want you to do
i don't think he resolved the issue (as people still haven't resolved this problem cause the vast majority still die with regrets)

you don't know what you want today compared to the next day or the next year, decade, etc
life is hard
thats all i got from it

i did read...

hedonism is hedonism lol. think about it - if you say the author is suggesting "present hedonism" as you like to call it, then that means you are saying that the author is suggesting constant hedonism, since the present is always there. If you tell someone to live follow hedonism in the present, that means he will follow hedonism for life. There is no such thing as past or future hedonism, and the term "present hedonism" is redundant as it is defined by indulging in the present and such.

you are missing the entire point of this video. harris is not saying to simply forget about the future and the past...he's saying to make sure your present is worthwhile, aka not watching bad movies 4 times. he's saying not to waste time. Following one's dreams and working to achieve it is a good way to spend the present - but for that to happen, you must make sure you truly know what you want so that you do not waste time on something you truly do not want.

Basically he warns against acting in the present that you will regret in the end. people regret working hard for money all their lives if they realize, at the end, that they only thing they wanted was happiness. other people will regret wasting time if they are unable to achieve their goals. etc
Jan 15, 2013 2:49 PM

Oct 2012
Sam Harris is a hack in my opinion. What he advocates in his speeches are no different than new age spirituality.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 15, 2013 3:26 PM

Oct 2009
katsucats said:
Sam Harris is a hack in my opinion. What he advocates in his speeches are no different than new age spirituality.

yea what he says in this speech isnt really groundbreaking or anything - he just says it in a way that really made me think about it more lol.

I never even heard of the guy until I saw this random video. didnt watch any of his other speeches either lol.

I googled him just now and it says on wikipedia that he's a philosopher and such...i thought he was simply a motivational speaker or something from this speech.
Jan 15, 2013 3:30 PM

Dec 2010
His message was construed in the wrong way from my perspective, using the wrong chain of logic. To me it seemed he was suggesting that in order to live fully in the present we must simply drop the future problem we are solving by changing our attitude and our experience in the present. While that may be true in terms of "fully" experiencing the present as he defines it, it does not create a better present.

I would argue that trying to solve our future problems motivates us to work towards that perceived future, thereby creating a better present for ourselves even if the desired goal isn't always achieved; often, it is not. Of course the reality of our life is now, that should go without saying. Nothing he presents in this video would be considered a ground breaking idea. Yet looking at the present is not what makes the human brain so special, it's the ability to perceive the future unconsciously, before your consciousness decides on the correct course of action. Similarly, we achieve our goals by perceiving what lies ahead. Harris makes it seem like the only way we can find fulfillment in the present is by dropping our hopes of happiness in the future. I think that's a fallacy.
Jan 15, 2013 3:58 PM

Oct 2009
Legendre said:
His message was construed in the wrong way from my perspective, using the wrong chain of logic. To me it seemed he was suggesting that in order to live fully in the present we must simply drop the future problem we are solving by changing our attitude and our experience in the present. While that may be true in terms of "fully" experiencing the present as he defines it, it does not create a better present.

I would argue that trying to solve our future problems motivates us to work towards that perceived future, thereby creating a better present for ourselves even if the desired goal isn't always achieved; often, it is not. Of course the reality of our life is now, that should go without saying. Nothing he presents in this video would be considered a ground breaking idea. Yet looking at the present is not what makes the human brain so special, it's the ability to perceive the future unconsciously, before your consciousness decides on the correct course of action. Similarly, we achieve our goals by perceiving what lies ahead. Harris makes it seem like the only way we can find fulfillment in the present is by dropping our hopes of happiness in the future. I think that's a fallacy.

I thought he was basically saying this lol. Maybe I will go re-watch the video. In any case, I agree with what you say in your second paragraph. Maybe that's why my interpretation of his speech was influenced by my beliefs lol
Jan 16, 2013 7:44 AM

Aug 2011
My Mum's favorite quote : Go and study

It'd make my life better, if i actually listened to it
kek
Jan 16, 2013 9:33 AM

Dec 2010
RandomChampion said:
Legendre said:

I thought he was basically saying this lol. Maybe I will go re-watch the video. In any case, I agree with what you say in your second paragraph. Maybe that's why my interpretation of his speech was influenced by my beliefs lol

He was, to a certain degree. I was just simply stating that I didn't agree with his reasoning, even though I agree with his message, if that makes sense.
Jan 16, 2013 10:59 AM

Oct 2007
carpe diem

More topics from this board

» Are you a pushover

ST63LTH - Today

11 by Kwanthemaster »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Vote your Instinct Stacking based on the proper description. Afterwards, tell me what you think of the dramatic analogies in the spoiler if you want.

IpreferEcchi - Today

3 by Kwanthemaster »»
13 minutes ago

» Have you ever put someone on the 'Ignored Users' list?

Thy-Veseveia - Yesterday

16 by Playco_Armboy »»
1 hour ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

741 by Hitagi__Furude »»
1 hour ago

» Do you celebrate your Birthday

ST63LTH - Yesterday

30 by Dachitosoru »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.