Forum Settings
Forums

Connection between one's love life and their anime addiction?

New
Do you think there's a connection between one's love life and their anime addiction?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 28, 2012 3:08 AM

Mar 2010
WildCatTomo said:
WhisperBit said:
Nah... There's plenty of attractive anime loving girls in the faculty that I attend.
The reason I'm single is because I'm ugly fat fuck with a boring personality :D Anime has nothing to do with it :)

Your honesty astounds me, have you got a neckbead?

Had one last week but shaved it for Christmas

Edit: I wouldn't have done it if I had money to play WH40k though :D
"Then again, if she's not my sibling, there's no bling, either" - Ararararagi Koyomi
Dec 28, 2012 3:10 AM

Dec 2012
If I have to blame anything for problems in my love life, it would have to be how I was brought up by nut job conservatives who think you shouldn't even hold hands till you're engaged.
Dec 28, 2012 3:12 AM

Mar 2010
Ratohnhaketon said:
If I have to blame anything for problems in my love life, it would have to be how I was brought up by nut job conservatives who think you shouldn't even hold hands till you're engaged.

Woah... That's tough... I have no idea how would I live if I had overzealous religious parents
"Then again, if she's not my sibling, there's no bling, either" - Ararararagi Koyomi
Dec 28, 2012 3:17 AM
Oct 2012
WhisperBit said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

Woah... That's tough... I have no idea how would I live if I had overzealous religious parents
FIGHT THE MAN
Dec 28, 2012 3:18 AM

Mar 2012
whitesox123 said:
WhisperBit said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

FIGHT THE MAN
Row row, fight the powah.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Dec 28, 2012 3:21 AM

Jun 2012
Love life? That's for pity losers.
Dec 28, 2012 3:25 AM
Oct 2012
Negative-Travis said:
whitesox123 said:
WhisperBit said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

FIGHT THE MAN
TTGL ftw. but seriously my family is pretty religious in general but they arent THAT bad
Dec 28, 2012 3:33 AM

Dec 2012
whitesox123 said:
Negative-Travis said:
whitesox123 said:
WhisperBit said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

FIGHT THE MAN
TTGL ftw. but seriously my family is pretty religious in general but they arent THAT bad

Well it wasn't *that* bad. Just like, my parents never gave me proper sex ed. and what not because they thought it wasn't important since "sex is a gift from god to be used after marriage." And then their advice for dating my whole life was "find a good Christian girl." That narrowed it down some, no wonder I watch hentai and settle for one night stands :0.
Dec 28, 2012 3:36 AM
Oct 2012
Ratohnhaketon said:
whitesox123 said:
Negative-Travis said:
whitesox123 said:
WhisperBit said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

FIGHT THE MAN

Well it wasn't *that* bad. Just like, my parents never gave me proper sex ed. and what not because they thought it wasn't important since "sex is a gift from god to be used after marriage." And then their advice for dating my whole life was "find a good Christian girl." That narrowed it down some, no wonder I watch hentai and settle for one night stands :0.
yea my grandparents seem hellbent on making me find a good christian girl and if its not i feel like the wont accept whoever i pick.(or possibly end up single for the rest of my life which is cool too)
Dec 28, 2012 3:37 AM
Oct 2012
Sukha said:
Wolfesscythe said:
TL;DR - Do you think there's a connection between one's love life, and their addiction to anime?

If you'd like to tell about yourself, what's your love life like, and what type of anime do you prefer to watch?

My case it's the opposite, in real life I attract girls everywhere I go, it's not that I want to, it just happens...But due to anime and manga influence I reject them all, it's been years since the last time I have been in a serious relationship. It's not that I'm looking for a perfect girl, I'm just tired of hollow girls approaching me with horny smiles or girls lying to me to get my attention (you know, the classic "I don't understand this, can you explain me? n__n Oh, I'm tired, I'm gonna sit for a moment")

I like to think that someday I'm going to find a kind and hardworking girl who doesn't care at all about how I look or how smart I am...I want someone to tell me once in my life "I like you because you are hardworking" " I like you because you live with passion"...And I want to be capable of truly say "I like you because you are so so kind! You give me faith in humanity" "I like you because you work really hard to accomplish your dreams"
u must be quite a stud
Dec 28, 2012 3:55 AM
Apr 2012
I think about priorities in my life and I don't watch anime 24/7, so I've got time for social life. ;p
Dec 28, 2012 3:59 AM

Dec 2012
knapior said:
I think about priorities in my life and I don't watch anime 24/7, so I've got time for social life. ;p

Now that I think about it, I'm the same. :b
Dec 28, 2012 11:53 AM

Dec 2012
Gaijin-san said:
Look wolf, honestly i don't think you should even consider the reasons behind your "love situation" is based around your dependency on anime if you would call it that, honestly you've seen only 40+ shows so you know nothing about the impact of which anime can have either within a positive or negative sense within someone's life.

And if you're that concerned about anime wrecking your love life and what not then don't watch it and take your insecurity and depression elsewhere and don't use anime as an outlet for your problems.

I never said that my lack of a love life was based on a dependency of anime, only that I think I fill that void in my life with anime instead. And I've seen far far more series than I've put on MAL. I've forgotten the names of probably 80% of the series I've seen prior to this year.

hiabara said:
why do so many people here assume that female anime fans are unattractive and "fat"? because people think that female anime fans are the equivalent to male nerds or why? of course the... "crazy ones" stick out, but that doesn't mean that every girl is like that.

and i rarely know any female fans who are overweight tbh. and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so...

I personally only know one girl IRL who's into anime, and she's absolutely gorgeous. She's a little strange, but that just adds to the mystery.

Ratohnhaketon said:

Aha, I know exactly how you feel. All my life, my parents wanted me to date a "good christian girl". They had far higher standards for me than I've ever put on myself, which is probably why I never had any serious relationships, and never brought anyone home. It's essential to me that the girl I'm with be accepted by my family and my friends foremost. To me, it's not even about her being a christian. Just a caring, lovable person. Particularly one who's into metal and anime would be a plus. :P
Dec 28, 2012 12:22 PM

Feb 2012
I cant believe someone would actually think that there is a connection...

i cant believe how stupid some people are...
Dec 28, 2012 12:42 PM

Feb 2012
i think more anime fans have bad "love lives" than not, but i don't think most that have bad love lives are anime fans; there isn't a correlation between those two things. anime is an isolated hobby favored by isolated people-- the isolation is the reason for the "bad love life", not the act of watching anime.

it's kind of like saying, someone that is interested in fashion and dresses nice will have a good love life. sure, they might, but not because of their interest in fashion, but because they're also likely to care about and put effort into their appearance in general. same with exercising, etc. they're simply related personality' characteristics/interests.
Dec 28, 2012 12:51 PM

Aug 2012
Yes, I think so for a lot of people. Not necessarily a poor love life, but often when you have relational problem, since anime characters kind of embody "perfect" people, living in a joyful world and else. Everyone need to "get attached" with someone, and if you can't do that in real life, you need to counterbalance. Anime are a refuge that allow to forget one's problem for a time and to feel what a facinating life could be along with the characters.
I started watching anime at a time when I got serious issues with former friends, so my social life had been severely hit at that time. However, even if I now it's completely resolved, I keep watching anime, it's remained my addiction. :p
Dec 28, 2012 2:30 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Love life? Not interested. As for the question: There could be a connection in some cases and in others could be completely unrelated.
Dec 28, 2012 2:34 PM

Feb 2012
Mentalii said:
Yes, I think so for a lot of people. Not necessarily a poor love life, but often when you have relational problem, since anime characters kind of embody "perfect" people, living in a joyful world and else. Everyone need to "get attached" with someone, and if you can't do that in real life, you need to counterbalance. Anime are a refuge that allow to forget one's problem for a time and to feel what a facinating life could be along with the characters.
I started watching anime at a time when I got serious issues with former friends, so my social life had been severely hit at that time. However, even if I now it's completely resolved, I keep watching anime, it's remained my addiction. :p

Everyone need to ''get attached'' with someone...? Thats dumb.
Dec 28, 2012 2:36 PM

Dec 2010
Well, if you read my blog posts then you know I have terrible luck with women. Or at least I'm striking up the wrong type of women. In either case, anime is my resolve for solitude.

I admit I do go crazy over anime girls sometimes but that's because they usually have these characteristics that females in real life don't have. But of course that's why they are fiction and not reality. I know that already. However, I can't help but become a fanatic at times when reality hits.

I jokingly say 2D waifus > 3D waifus at times, but under that is a bit of truth, sadly.

Dec 28, 2012 2:40 PM

Dec 2011
I don't think so. In my own experience I'm single right now and I haven't been watching anime for the past half a year with the exception of Trigun over one week, so the two aren't related for me. I don't know about men though, but I don't think there's a connection there either. I've seen plenty of males mention girlfriends either in the past the past or present on here, and their lists are usually more than what I've seen.
Dec 28, 2012 3:49 PM

Aug 2012
RyuujiXmemories said:

Everyone need to ''get attached'' with someone...? Thats dumb.

Maybe "get attached" isn't really the adapted word, but I think you can understand what I meant. And if you tell that's dumb, then explain why.
Dec 28, 2012 4:31 PM

Apr 2012
Questions like this only serve to perpetuate the stereotype that all anime fans are lonely nerds with no one to love.

Nonetheless, in response to your question, I don't think there's any special connection between one's love life and their love of anime, at least not any more than other facets of one's life.

For instance, if I'm feeling a bit unlucky with the ladies, I may watch Toradora, Lovely Complex, or Itazura na Kiss to get the warm loving fuzzies that I'm lacking in my own life at the time. On that same note, if a family member just died, I might want to watch a show like Aoi Bungaku SKET Dance or Gintama to get some good laughs and take my mind off the sadness enveloping my life at the time.

As for me, I got into anime when I was already in a relationship of (at the time) about a year and some months (rewatched Digimon, was recommended to watch Love Hina, and the rest was history). I only watched anime because I saw it as a superior form of entertainment. Even after being with my ex-girlfriend for over 5 years, I still watched anime in my spare time and even managed to get her into it a little (I made the mistake of introducing her to Monster...). However, after we split up, I did find myself watching anime more. Not necessarily because I was lonely (because I wasn't), but because I simply had more free time to do just that.

Even now, two years into university with a pretty difficult major and a part time job, I still watch anime in my free time because it's a really important hobby for me.

So to restate my answer to your question, no, I do not think that there's a direct connection between one's love life and their anime addiction, at least not more so than with any other facet of their life.

Dec 30, 2012 1:09 AM

Dec 2012
Bump
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

62 by Pinoffin »»
27 seconds ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 4 minutes ago

0 by Rinrinka »»
4 minutes ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 4 hours ago

15 by TRC_Randy »»
5 minutes ago

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - 1 hour ago

4 by LightWorker »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - Yesterday

43 by TRC_Randy »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.