Forum Settings
Forums

Do you tend to prefer older or newer anime?

New
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Apr 18, 2013 4:19 PM

Jan 2013
I like newer shows because to me its all about the artwork
Apr 30, 2013 8:05 PM

Jan 2012
I've heard from people who stopped watching Metropolis and Akira after only a few minutes because they "Couldn't get past the animation." I've heard "I don't like old anime, the art sucks!" It's like if it isn't new, it's no good. But I've found that many of the greatest anime of all time are older anime. Metropolis and Akira are both masterpieces in my eyes. To each his own, I suppose, but I'm curious: Which side are you all on? Do you enjoy the classics or is the animation style so important that it overrides story?
IMightBeWrongApr 30, 2013 8:15 PM
Apr 30, 2013 8:11 PM

Oct 2012
Animation never overrides. What's essential are the characters and varrying factors that keep me engaged into the plot.

I do cringe when many will say, "Won't watch, old art, drop" too.
Then again, I'm a hypocrite for also feeling the need that a long drawn out series has to have mystery throughout the show. Thus why LOGH wasn't appealing to me much...

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Apr 30, 2013 8:12 PM

Jan 2012
Tavor said:
Animation never overrides. What's essential are the characters and varrying factors that keep me engaged into the plot.

Then again, I'm a hypocrite for also feeling the need that a long drawn out series has to have mystery throughout the show. Thus why LOGH wasn't appealing to me much...

I appreciate the REAL response, thank you. Is it the norm around here for other users to attack the newbs?
Apr 30, 2013 8:13 PM
Oct 2012
Rather than giving you a stupid answer like the other posts on this page, I will say that about old anime the truth is that they ARE old and there is no denying it. Humans tend to get and keep wanting more and more and more, so if humans progress and get NEW things they will want "more and more and more". The saying goes out "out with the old, in with the new" and this is an exact example of that.
EDIT: this was made considering everything only up until post #5
asdcvvbbd1Apr 30, 2013 8:16 PM
Apr 30, 2013 8:15 PM

Oct 2012
IMightBeWrong said:
Tavor said:

I appreciate the REAL response, thank you. Is it the norm around here for other users to attack the newbs?

It depends really. This topic does feel like a lot of other threads and for the fact it's mostly a rant that gets repetitive around here; which is expected considering the amount of users that grace these forums each day. I admit I may also poke a jab at the OP from time-to-time if I feel one did not take the time to at least put thought into the topics they make.

Tonight at least, I feel calm.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Apr 30, 2013 8:16 PM
May 2010
The older art is unpleasant to a lot of people. /Shrug. I watch old shows anyway sometimes, but tbh, most of their stories do not appeal to me that much.

For example, even though I absolutely love scifi, and have read something like 6 sci fi novels in the last week, I can not enjoy LotGH. Not just because of the art, I can get past that, but because I do not care for the story. I think if I was reading novels of it that would change, but it did not work as an anime for me.

Still, its really got nothing to do with the art. I watched like 180 episodes of Lupin without issue, 100 episodes of touch(which was great) and another few hundred episodes of 'older' shows, but they are never as enjoyable as the newer ones for me.
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 30, 2013 8:19 PM

Aug 2011
IMightBeWrong said:
Not on the forums. I barely looked at the forums, posted a couple things, and then sort of drifted off. I'm still not even really used to this site yet. I'd consider myself a newb still.

Well, take this a lesson learned and think a little bit before you start rambling.

Old vs. New threads aren't typically received well.

Apr 30, 2013 8:20 PM

Jul 2012
Anyways, to answer the OP, I can enjoy classics, and its not really animation that bothers me about some old shows, but rather the art itself. I don't like old 80s art. It bugs me. Other decades I can deal with, its just the 80s. 80s anime just look really ugly to me. That said I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the words "animation style". What do you mean by animation style?
Animation wise, I can watch even some really choppily animated shows and movies, so I'm good there. Was dissapointed to see that The New Adventures of Kimba the White Lion didn't have very smooth Lion King like animation.
TachiiMay 1, 2013 5:40 AM
Apr 30, 2013 8:21 PM

Feb 2012
Ont:A lot of people hate old art which I think is kind of rediculous. Enjoying the art is important to an extent for sure but it would never override story or characters (or music for me).
TachiiMay 1, 2013 5:40 AM
Apr 30, 2013 8:21 PM

Apr 2012
I'll go ahead and actually answer you're question. I can't recall an anime I stopped watching based on animation. I'd say it depends on the genre, like a mecha title would probably need to be a little more fluid than say a slice of life title. I'm sure everyone's different though.
Apr 30, 2013 8:22 PM

Aug 2012
On topic: The best answer I can come up with is that people have a hard time getting used to something different than what they've been watching. Sometimes people just can't handle the old style.
TachiiMay 1, 2013 5:41 AM
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Apr 30, 2013 8:22 PM

Jan 2012
Itami-chan said:
IMightBeWrong said:
Not on the forums. I barely looked at the forums, posted a couple things, and then sort of drifted off. I'm still not even really used to this site yet. I'd consider myself a newb still.

Well, take this a lesson learned and think a little bit before you start rambling.

I'll note that. In return, would you mind rereading the start of this thread from the perspective of somebody new here? Is it really appropriate for a forum to treat somebody less informed like the plague? Without that sort of group mentality of being "ready to attack" this forum would probably have twice the posters.
Apr 30, 2013 8:24 PM

Apr 2012
Itami-chan said:
IMightBeWrong said:

I think "rambling" is a little harsh <_< Don't have to jump on the guy/girl
Apr 30, 2013 8:25 PM

Aug 2012
IMightBeWrong said:
Itami-chan said:
IMightBeWrong said:

I'll note that. In return, would you mind rereading the start of this thread from the perspective of somebody new here? Is it really appropriate for a forum to treat somebody less informed like the plague? Without that sort of group mentality of being "ready to attack" this forum would probably have twice the posters.
I can't really say for sure. It's like people get into "sarcasm mode" whenever they see an overgeneralized statement like "Otaku hate xxx" or something.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Apr 30, 2013 8:25 PM

Mar 2012
Art is one of 5 point in judging anime. I don't see what's wrong with not liking art.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 30, 2013 8:26 PM
May 2010
IMightBeWrong said:
Itami-chan said:
IMightBeWrong said:

Honestly, there was nothing particularly bad about your thread. That said, the negative response was absolutely tiny compared to what it could have been. Just a few people saying they didn't read it all.

I wouldnt worry much if I were you.
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 30, 2013 8:26 PM

Jul 2012
IMightBeWrong said:
Itami-chan said:
IMightBeWrong said:

It's not necessary. People get a little rude and grumbly sometimes, but they should learn to control themselves. It doesn't help that there have been threads before asking similar questions.
I don't quite understand what's wrong with "old vs new" threads. There are differences between old and new anime, and its good to talk about them. I love the fact that a lot of older anime are handpainted; the coloration consequently feels more real and looks more natural in them.
TachiiMay 1, 2013 5:42 AM
Apr 30, 2013 8:27 PM

Feb 2012
NeoAnkara said:
Art is one of 5 point in judging anime. I don't see what's wrong with not liking art.
But standards in story, characters, music, and enjoyment don't increase over time.
Apr 30, 2013 8:28 PM
May 2010
Alright on topic, I'll go as far as 20 years back if the anime is truly worthwhile.
Akira? I'll think about it.
TachiiMay 1, 2013 5:42 AM
Apr 30, 2013 8:29 PM

Jul 2012
Slyr3do0n said:
NeoAnkara said:
But standards in story, characters, music, and enjoyment don't increase over time.

And some may prefer art in older shows. Plus some old art can still be looked at as good.

Dec 2007
I did endure through Akira even though the art was off-putting tbh. (Not because it was old.) I'm one of those people.

The character design bugged me. They have children's bodies but adult faces. o_o But the animation is top-notch. The mouth actually form the words they say, unlike other anime movies.
May 2010
Slyr3do0n said:
NeoAnkara said:

The general way stories and characters are done over time does change somewhat though. Not as fast as art has changed, to be sure, but it does change. Especially since how characters look visually is also a part of the 'character' and that relates directly to the art.
Worships Asparagus.

Aug 2011
IMightBeWrong said:
I'll note that. In return, would you mind rereading the start of this thread from the perspective of somebody new here?

I did. Like I said, just think before you post. In case you haven't realized, "Otaku" isn't a very wise word to throw around, either. It's generally just not a good term to use nor is it something you want to be called.

IMightBeWrong said:
Is it really appropriate for a forum to treat somebody less informed like the plague? Without that sort of group mentality of being "ready to attack" this forum would probably have twice the posters.

Welcome to the forums!

Sad but true, but that's what it's like here. You just have to deal with it or stay out of the forums.

Tehloneranger said:

I was jumping on him/her? I don't think so.

Apr 30, 2013 8:30 PM

Apr 2012
Itami-chan said:
IMightBeWrong said:
I'll note that. In return, would you mind rereading the start of this thread from the perspective of somebody new here?

I did. Like I said, just think before you post. In case you haven't realized, "Otaku" isn't a very wise word to throw around, either. It's generally just not a good term to use nor is it something you want to be called.

IMightBeWrong said:
Is it really appropriate for a forum to treat somebody less informed like the plague? Without that sort of group mentality of being "ready to attack" this forum would probably have twice the posters.

Welcome to the forums!

Sad but true, but that's what it's like here. You just have to deal with it or stay out of the forums.

Tehloneranger said:

I was jumping on him/her? I don't think so.

*Shrugs* If you say so
Apr 30, 2013 8:35 PM

Jun 2010
Animation is very important to me but it won't prohibit me from liking the show unless it is horrible done, not because it is a different style. Old art can be done very beautifully, it just takes some getting used to.
Apr 30, 2013 8:36 PM

Feb 2012
miereneronaile said:
Slyr3do0n said:
NeoAnkara said:

The general way stories and characters are done over time does change somewhat though. Not as fast as art has changed, to be sure, but it does change. Especially since how characters look visually is also a part of the 'character' and that relates directly to the art.
Eh, I guess you're right.
Apr 30, 2013 8:39 PM

Dec 2007
IMightBeWrong said:
Itami-chan said:
IMightBeWrong said:

That's just how the rest of Internet works, but you're right, it isn't very nice.

And most of the discussion going on here are about the first post. I'd say it's a good thing. Everyone learning to compromise.
Apr 30, 2013 8:42 PM

Apr 2013
i don't know but for me art and OST is really important in an anime.. sure I don't mind watching classics here and there, but I couldnt do it weeks after weeks.
TachiiMay 1, 2013 5:44 AM
Apr 30, 2013 8:44 PM

Jan 2012
I don't consider OLD animation to be BAD animation. Some of it is better than the half CG stuff that's so common nowadays. It's got a better flow to it and depending on the animation it often has a lot more attention to detail paid to it as well. Sometimes the older stuff can take some adjusting to, but I think it can be an acquired taste in many cases. YMMV.
Apr 30, 2013 8:48 PM

Feb 2013
Hmm. I'll watch older anime if I have seen it before and liked it.Otherwise, if you give me an old anime that I have never heard of before, then I wont watch it (Just because of the art).

For example: This is really old, about 40 years old actually. Thats WAY before I was even born, heck, my mom would still be pretty young~ But I have seen it as a kid, and loved it, so I can still watch it now.
Apr 30, 2013 8:50 PM

Sep 2012
Just let people watch what they want.
If they are missing a good show because they don't like the art, well is their problem, not yours.
Apr 30, 2013 8:51 PM

Jan 2012
Jauregui said:
Just let people watch what they want.
If they are missing a good show because they don't like the art, well is their problem, not yours.

That's a good way to look at it, but I like to hear why it bothers people.

I'm actually a lover of all sorts of old things. Antique shops fascinate me even. It's very nerdy. The fact that there are people that look at things the opposite way is something I find interesting.
Apr 30, 2013 8:53 PM

Mar 2012
After all people judge the book by it's cover. Art was the cover of anime so if the art is unapealing most of them think the content is the same.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 30, 2013 9:14 PM

Feb 2012
Both are mediocre and there exist much better old school anime than those two or GitS.
Apr 30, 2013 9:22 PM

Oct 2012
The main reason that I don't watch older anime isn't because of the art. It's actually a lot more practical than that, it's availability. If something isn't legally and quickly available to me, I don't watch it. Simple as that. If I can't find it at my local Hastings or Crunchyroll, too bad. My loss.
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Apr 30, 2013 9:27 PM

Jan 2012
mecharobot said:
Both are mediocre and there exist much better old school anime than those two or GitS.

To each his own. I'd appreciate your recommendations, though.
Apr 30, 2013 11:53 PM

Jun 2010
IMightBeWrong said:

yes, unfortunately. And not only newbs. They gang up on everyone who doesn't share the same opinion as them (well, some of them). But I digress.

I have no problem with old animation. For some reason I cannot compare old vs new animation, as each one has its great/bad points. It's obvious that with the advance of technology + globalization of anime, studios are making superb/breathtaking animation nowadays. But I like the nostalgic feeling that the old animes give me.
May 1, 2013 1:17 AM

Apr 2011
When will newbs learn that there is something called rules? You can't expect to create a new thread (on such a controversial topic nonetheless) which has multiple threads on it already and not expect us to take it just like that.

As for the topic, it depends on how bad the art is. No matter what you say, at the end of day, anime is still a visual medium and a visual medium should have good visuals. If I didn't care about them, I'd read a book.
May 1, 2013 1:54 AM

Oct 2010
oh no no no not this shit again

On topic, though. The problem of this thread is that it has been brought, discussed and beaten so many times, and these discussions usually become contaminated with absurd nitpicking examples, plain insults and preconceptions, and a huge misunderstanding coming from both sides of the river. It's kind of like the sub vs dub debate; it is a very common one and it very rarely brings encouraging discussion.
May 1, 2013 5:54 AM

Jun 2008
Merged thread and removed many irrelevant comments pertaining to the definition of otaku simply because of a mistake that the OP has later modified.
May 1, 2013 6:07 AM

Apr 2013
I prefer shows from 00s - now
A Story will always come to it's end. The thing is, will you move on after it's over?
May 1, 2013 6:11 AM

May 2012
Don't care tbh but must the shows i've watched are 00 onwards I think.
May 1, 2013 8:06 AM

Jul 2011
I've come to find that I really do enjoy older anime a lot more, especially the 90's/early 00's stuff. I love the warm colours and sleek designs a huggy wuggy bunch.
May 1, 2013 8:16 AM
Feb 2012
Both.
May 1, 2013 8:44 AM
Feb 2012
Just as watching old and new American TV shows and films, this would be the same as Anime. There would be some good ones from the past (mainly 90's. There's a bit here and there for 70's and 80's.) and some newer ones (such as Fate/Zero, FMA:Brotherhood) It all depends if it's entertaining or it matches my tastes.
filmftw1May 1, 2013 8:48 AM
May 1, 2013 9:33 PM

Jan 2012
yhunata said:
When will newbs learn that there is something called rules? You can't expect to create a new thread (on such a controversial topic nonetheless) which has multiple threads on it already and not expect us to take it just like that.

As for the topic, it depends on how bad the art is. No matter what you say, at the end of day, anime is still a visual medium and a visual medium should have good visuals. If I didn't care about them, I'd read a book.

I just read through the rules. I didn't break any, so I'm not sure what you're on about. As I mentioned, I don't see the problem with revisiting a topic every now and then. It's a normal part of life that people deal with all the time. I'll bet you've heard the abortion debate dozens of times by now as well. That's life, and it's unavoidable on any forum.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.
May 2, 2013 12:38 AM
Dec 2012
i prefer newer anime just cause threre usually better and even if it does sucks its nice to understand the thought processes of shiity shows. plus newer animation looks so much prettier
May 2, 2013 12:40 AM

Apr 2011
IMightBeWrong said:
I just read through the rules. I didn't break any, so I'm not sure what you're on about. As I mentioned, I don't see the problem with revisiting a topic every now and then. It's a normal part of life that people deal with all the time. I'll bet you've heard the abortion debate dozens of times by now as well. That's life, and it's unavoidable on any forum.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

The thing is there's just too many threads being made on this topic, thus why your topic got merged with this. As for the abortion debate, I would've heard of it, if I gave a damn about it. Yeah, it's life and unavoidable, so are posts like mine saying that threads like these are annoying.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Today

15 by Fischer77 »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

55 by Fischer77 »»
9 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

239 by TitanOfPlasma »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

60 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - 2 hours ago

9 by Rhaelynne »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.