Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 27, 2012 4:09 PM

Sep 2008
shanimebib said:
It's strange how Leafa didn't even think how Kirito is asking her about a game where he is so good at already. That was pretty bad imho. She should have been at least surprised because of his skill level doesn't make sense for a new player.

It was mentioned that sword skills like in SAO didn't play a major part in ALO and was upto the physical endurance of that player. Hence if you happen to be good at kendo like Suguha, or happen to play other games with sword skills(like kito has in SAO for 2yrs) was how good you'd be with the sword in ALO.

shanimebib said:
I am also a bit surprised that she didn't realize Kirito is Kazuto. The whole world (well not the whole, probably entire Japan) knows about him as the hero from SAO and they probably have identified his nick in the game. And if I recall correctly, it was a huge news all over, right? But yeah, I guess Suguha never really pried into it, so I will let that part slide.

only ones that know of Kirito's real-life avatar were some of the players from SAO who had been there to witness Kirito defeat Kayaba, and the admin staff of Recto who bought SAO's mainframe(like ASuna's dad and whats-his-face, as well as authorities)...so no, Suguha does not know of the nick Kirito. Plus even if it was displayed for the world to see, what's to stop from someone else using that nick same way as noobs using Legolas as a nick in every MMO out at the moment? Case in point; due to the fact that ALO gives you a diff look, feel, and name to your real life persona(like a reall MMO is meant to and not the way Kayaba did in SAO) and considering there are thousands(if not millions) who play the game and Suguha thinking there's no way her oniichan would ever jump into another VRMMO after SAO, it's understandable that she would not recognize the spriggan.

shanimebib said:
It's a downer that such a promising character like Asuna has become so weak as the series progressed. Romance usually makes characters stronger. SAO has made it the complete opposite.

I never liked Asuna, and seeing her play as damsel in distress kinda irks me but is necessary to make plot in ALO move(or why else would Kirito need a time limit in this arc that has no real life deaths). I also am anti for deus ex power ups due to love as its plot device that makes this series fail from what could have been a worthy favorite.
Oct 27, 2012 4:21 PM

Dec 2007
Stark700 said:
Also, is he calling her Titania? *Erza reference? lol

Titania is the queen of the fairies in Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, just as Oberon is the king in the same story. They are common reference names for fictional fairy characters. (In Fairy Tail, Erza is given the title "Titania" because she is the strongest female in Fairy Tail--or queen of the fairies.)

The more you know~

GFX made by >Valon< of Janime Community Forums
Oct 27, 2012 4:24 PM

Feb 2008
Way too convenient that his sister is playing VRMMORPGs, the exact same game, and happens to meet and fall for Kirito in the game too. It's really getting hard for me to not permanently drop this awful anime.
Oct 27, 2012 4:26 PM

Apr 2012
SAO: The first anime to need moderation warnings for its subforum.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Oct 27, 2012 4:28 PM

Jul 2012
LOL Sugou. As my man Chuck would say, "he's just turrrrble"
Did anyone else lol when he went, "I AM THE BAD GUY!!!! HEAR ME MONOLOGUE!!!!!"
Plus the fact that he actually went, "muahaha. you won't be able to get out of this one, Mr. Bond" makes him such a horribly written character that we just don't care about that part of the story. In fact, it's the trip to the World Tree that actually sounds interesting, because it has the sense of an epic quest like LOTR
Oct 27, 2012 4:32 PM

Nov 2009
So much hatred in this episode, dat sugou ... he derserves to die badly ...
Although I've read the novel, but I just couldn't stand those scenes when he did some disgusting shit to Asuna like teasing/sniffing her ... There's a limit to what a human can do or not.

Good episode tbh, these scenery, backgrounds of ALO were up to my expectations. Beautifully portrayed.

shanimebib said:
It's a downer that such a promising character like Asuna has become so weak as the series progressed. Romance usually makes characters stronger. SAO has made it the complete opposite.

She knows that this time there won't be a miracle like it was in SAO, cause at the end of the week, she will have to marry him (her family has already agreed). And Sugou is the system admin, thus she knows that sugou can change her emotions, replace her memories and there aren't anything she can do. She's not strong like you think, she's timid inside and just pretend to be strong in the outside as a way to resist sugou or her fate ...

With all the power sugou has, she knows that she can't be save unless a miracle happens.

I enjoyed the episode, but sugou scenes always gave me a chill ...
So ... I'm afraid they will animate the final NTR scene so badly that I will want to punch my screen...
Takana_no_HanaOct 27, 2012 4:40 PM
Oct 27, 2012 4:34 PM
Jul 2012
Since I know you guys love sugou so much I made this for you

Oct 27, 2012 4:41 PM

Apr 2012
JavierR said:

Saved for future threads.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Oct 27, 2012 4:41 PM

Jul 2011
Okay, if the series have reached the point that I´m supporting more the villain than the main characters...it´s that a good or bad thing?
The characters I like so far:
- Suguha/ Lyfa: Despite her incestous fixation, she´s adorable~ (*´▽`*) And her avatar side seems more capable than Asuna.
- Sugou: he´s so cartoonish and creepy that he´s more funny than despictable. Also, DAT machiavelic plan! If it were to be succesfull, it probably would lead to a far more interesting and unexpectable route than we´ve seen so far. I MEAN, THE POWER TO CONTROL THE MIND OF PLAYERS, JUST IMAGINE IT! SEVERAL FACTIONS WOULD BE INVOLVED AND THE CONFLICT WOULD BE SUPERB!!!
Overall, another nice episode :)
Karura_JiinsaruOct 27, 2012 4:44 PM
Oct 27, 2012 4:42 PM

Jul 2011
JavierR said:

That part is what exactly made me laugh. I can´t take him seriously like this XDDD
Oct 27, 2012 4:43 PM

Sep 2012
BloodRequiem said:
JavierR said:

you guys sure love your NTR <_<
Oct 27, 2012 4:45 PM

Apr 2012
Zekken said:
BloodRequiem said:
JavierR said:

you guys sure love your NTR <_<

The way to enjoy NTR is to self insert as the guy who is doing the girl. Or you can self insert as the girl.
Oct 27, 2012 4:47 PM
Sep 2012
Veronin said:
Way too convenient that his sister is playing VRMMORPGs, the exact same game, and happens to meet and fall for Kirito in the game too. It's really getting hard for me to not permanently drop this awful anime.

Just so you know, it isn't that convenient really considering

JavierR said:

Stop it, that's mean!
Oct 27, 2012 4:50 PM

Aug 2011
JavierR said:
I am currently only watching this show for sugou now he's a fucking boss

Same here bro.
Oct 27, 2012 4:53 PM

Sep 2012
BloReq^ errr, thanks for the information....but i didnt need to know that...

anyway, Nobuyuki seems is basically your stereotypical villain, he has an evil scheme and he has the princess in captive

the thing that makes it hilarious is the way he is so comical, he is a fairy king of all things while the hero is a black spriggan swordsman

but i still prefer heathcliff as the villain, he was way more cooler....
Oct 27, 2012 4:53 PM
Oct 2012
Quick_Silver said:
Veronin said:

Kirito and Lyfa meeting at the same place ingame wasn't a coincidence either, even though it's probably retarded from a technical point of view.
Oct 27, 2012 4:56 PM

Jul 2012
EstelleBright said:
JavierR said:
I am currently only watching this show for sugou now he's a fucking boss

Same here bro.

+1

+1 as well
Oct 27, 2012 5:02 PM

Sep 2008
Surprisingly liked. The pacing is just right and they're taking the time to build the world so that we can understand the situation before the serious business. Can't wait for next week.
Hyouka and real-life Takayama comparison blog: Completed 31/10/2015
http://hyoukaorigination.blogspot.com/

Aria the Animation and real-life Venice comparision blog:
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
Oct 27, 2012 5:03 PM

Sep 2012
Too much talking in this episode. I hated the part where Sugou was touching Asuna, Grrrr I wanna kill him! Yui in the pocket aawww; and I finally get to see Asuna again, yippee :D
Oct 27, 2012 5:05 PM

Jun 2009
"Crying and running into my arms would be a good start." That's cute.

Oct 27, 2012 5:11 PM

Mar 2012
Quick_Silver said:
Veronin said:

That doesn't really seem believable at all. If my brother was trapped in a video game for two years with his life constantly in danger, the last thing I'd want to do is jump into a similar game, no matter how much they promised it was safer, just to understand my brother a little more. I imagine it'd make me far too paranoid.

Also, how is she keeping this a secret from Kirito? Has he never been in her room? Does she hide the gear? Does she only play when she knows he's not around? These aren't complaints, per se, I'm just curious.
NotDolphyOct 27, 2012 5:16 PM
Oct 27, 2012 5:13 PM

Sep 2012
xharumoni said:
"Crying and running into my arms would be a good start." That's cute.

my thoughts exactly xD

i guess that's kirito's way of taking the micky out of those cliche moments where the hero beats down the bad guys and the damsel is in awe
Oct 27, 2012 5:13 PM

Feb 2012
Wow, they really slowed down the pacing... good thing :D
Oct 27, 2012 5:14 PM
Jul 2012
BloodRequiem said:
JavierR said:

I just hope there is more sugou moments in the future!
Oct 27, 2012 5:18 PM
Sep 2011
RMNDolphy said:

That doesn't really seem believable at all. If my brother was trapped in a video game for two years with his life constantly in danger, the last thing I'd want to do is jump into a similar game, no matter how much they promised it was safer, just to understand my brother a little more. I imagine it'd make me far too paranoid.

Also, how is she keeping this a secret from Kirito? Has he never been in her room? Does she hide the gear? does she only play when she knows he's not around? These aren't complaint, per say, I'm just curious.

Bro, it's called anime logic, things in anime don't need to be believable at all. Have you ever wondered that such technology like Nerve gear, amusphere exist in the first place? Human mind control and all the stuffs?

She wants to join another virtual MMO just to understand her brother, so do you need any believable reasons for her to do so? Just bear with it, accept it. It's anime. When she said she wanted to understand her brother, that's her reason to do so, either believable or not. It's anime.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And for those who keep mentioning:
"Sugou is the boss, he's cool, we needs more sugou moments"

JUST FKING STOP THOSE, they aren't contributed to the discussion
HibiChouchouOct 27, 2012 5:22 PM
Oct 27, 2012 5:20 PM
Mar 2012
Just can't take Sugou... Arghh he is just one of the most irritating antagonist ever
Oct 27, 2012 5:20 PM

Mar 2012
HibiChouchou said:
RMNDolphy said:

Also, how is she keeping this a secret from Kirito? Has he never been in her room? Does she hide the gear? does she only play when she knows he's not around? These aren't complaint, per say, I'm just curious.

Bro, it's called anime logic, things in anime don't need to be believable at all. Have you ever wondered that such technology like Nerve gear, amusphere exist in the first place? Human mind control and all the stuffs?

She wants to join another virtual MMO just understand her brother, so do you need any believable reasons for her to do so? Just bear with it, accept it. It's anime. When she said she wanted to understand her brother, that's her reason to do so, either believable or not. It's anime.

No.
Oct 27, 2012 5:22 PM
Sep 2011
RMNDolphy said:

No.

Then drop.
Oct 27, 2012 5:25 PM

Jun 2012
Sugou.. so dam annoying i really just wanna punch him.. he needs to die now >:o
Oct 27, 2012 5:29 PM

Jan 2012
HibiChouchou said:
RMNDolphy said:

No.

Then drop.
I think we should all calm down and take a deep breath. Breathe in through your mouth and out through your ass. I'm sure you'll feel much better :)

RMNDolphy said:
Also, how is she keeping this a secret from Kirito? Has he never been in her room? Does she hide the gear? Does she only play when she knows he's not around? These aren't complaints, per se, I'm just curious.
I was wondering this myself. Surely Kazuto would recognise her character from the poster in Sugu's room?
bakapuntOct 27, 2012 5:35 PM
Oct 27, 2012 5:30 PM

Jan 2011
I can't believe hes planning on selling it?!
Oct 27, 2012 5:35 PM

Mar 2012
HibiChouchou said:
RMNDolphy said:

No.

Then drop.

I'll just copy/paste what I wrote in the previous thread:

"I think there's merit in continuing to watch shows you don't enjoy. If you view anime as an art, analyzing a shows failing can be an illuminating experience and even help you appreciate quality shows even more. To think about how the show fails, why the show fails, what the show could have done to be better, why the show made you feel the way a certain way -All important things to consider when looking at a piece of art. And, of course, it's important to see how things play out in the long run for an extended, serialized art such as TV anime. To only watch a part of the show before concluding what it's perceived value is would be akin to only looking at the corner of a painting or the first movement of a much larger musical piece and doing the same."

and:

"I continue to watch this show that I hate because it makes me think critically and in turn helps me appreciate the medium more.
For example, earlier in this thread I complained about Kirito essentially being invincible and why I thought that made him an uninteresting character. Since then, I've been thinking more about it. I'm watching another show at the moment called Future Boy Conan, directed by Hayao Miyazaki, in which the main character, Conan, is even more of a super-human, invincible powerhouse than Kirito. I've been think a lot about why Kirito bugs me but Conan is A-OK. I haven't quite figured out the answer yet, but that type of critical thinking is good, healthy, and intellectually satisfying. At least in my opinion it is."

And as a brief follow up that no one asked for to what I wrote about my comparison of Conan and Kirito: I've been thinking more about it and I think it comes down to presentation and context. Future Boy Conan is a much more cartoony show while SAO is seemingly attempting to be a more grounded and realistic (in a sci-fi sense) show. Sure, Future Boy Conan has it's serious moments, but the tone of the series is that of a silly, grand adventure cartoon and Conan's over-the-top abilities fit right in.

Also, Conan is simply cooler than Kirito.
Oct 27, 2012 5:37 PM
Jul 2012
HibiChouchou said:
RMNDolphy said:

She wants to join another virtual MMO just to understand her brother, so do you need any believable reasons for her to do so? Just bear with it, accept it. It's anime. When she said she wanted to understand her brother, that's her reason to do so, either believable or not. It's anime.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's anime is not a valid excuse for illogical bullshit.
Oct 27, 2012 5:37 PM

Sep 2012
HibiChouchou said:

Because the guys saying that they hate Sugou and that he deserved to die contributes more to the discussion?

Anyway, Sugou's such a gentleman, he could have undressed Asuna, but he didn't, and he could probably alter her memory, and once again he didn't. You gotta love this guy!
Oct 27, 2012 5:38 PM

Feb 2012
bakapunt said:

RMNDolphy said:
I was wondering this myself. Surely Kazuto would recognise her character from the poster in Sugu's room?

Brothers often don't go to their sisters room right?

and AFAIK, they don't need to know everything about what each other is doing at a time. They have their privacy too.
Oct 27, 2012 5:39 PM
Sep 2011
RMNDolphy said:
---

Who cares anyway.
Actually
I continue to watch this show that I hate because it makes me think critically and in turn helps me appreciate the medium more.

You hate the show, then "thinking critically" only from a biased view point of hatred.
The same with you favorite show. There's no such thing as "critical thinking" if you let your emotion affected either by liking or disliking.

Oh well, overall it's just your opinion. Bye then.

@SetsukoHara: YES
HibiChouchouOct 27, 2012 5:45 PM
Oct 27, 2012 5:45 PM

Sep 2012
HibiChouchou said:

And how do they contribute more?
Oct 27, 2012 5:46 PM
Sep 2011
SetsukoHara said:
HibiChouchou said:

figured it out. Whoever likes Sugou has a mental illness.
Oct 27, 2012 5:47 PM

Mar 2012
HibiChouchou said:
RMNDolphy said:
---

Who cares anyway.
Actually
I continue to watch this show that I hate because it makes me think critically and in turn helps me appreciate the medium more.

You hate the show, then "thinking critically" only from a biased view point of hatred.
The same with you favorite show. There's no such thing as "critical thinking" if you let you emotion affected either by liking or disliking.

I go into each episode hoping to like the show. Art is an emotional thing. Of course emotions are a factor. We're not talking about how well a toaster toasts or a toothbrush brushes your teeth, we're talking about how much a piece of art moved you. To purposefully ignore that would be a futile and pointless task.
Oct 27, 2012 5:47 PM

Sep 2012
HibiChouchou said:
SetsukoHara said:
HibiChouchou said:

Whoever hates Sugou is being manipulated.
Oct 27, 2012 5:49 PM

Jul 2011
HibiChouchou said:
SetsukoHara said:
HibiChouchou said:

Albeit one dimensional, Sugou at least has more personality than Kirito and Asuna altogether, which I see them rather bland -_-
Oct 27, 2012 5:56 PM

Jul 2012
Well, that escalated quickly. Sugu/Lyfa fell in love with Kirito right after he saves her... Well, it does get more interesting from this point on but that part kind of irritated me. I feel so bad for Sugu since
I don't like Recon's voice... I thought it would be more deeper than that. As for Sugou, I think he's like a Male Zelda. His hair and outfit seems so similar to Zelda, except that it's green and is not a skirt. Geez, I hate him so freaking much.
Oct 27, 2012 6:00 PM
Sep 2011
RMNDolphy said:

I go into each episode hoping to like the show. Art is an emotional thing. Of course emotions are a factor. We're not talking about how well a toaster toasts or a toothbrush brushes your teeth, we're talking about how much a piece of art moved you. To purposefully ignore that would be a futile and pointless task.

It's an anime you're talking about, you complain about how unrealistic is the show, well it's an anime, animated products, it has flaws.

All of your questions can be answered if you have a brain. Or you're just nitpicking cause you couldn't accept anime logic.

RMNDolphy said:

She said she wanted to understand his brother more by playing virtual MMO, you asked for a reason? There you go. It sounds unbelievable, but it's anime. Either accept and move forward, complaints won't help cause the show is a work of fiction, you can hardly apply real life logic into them.

These are obviously complaints. Cause even a 13 years old kid can answer these questions. Or should I answer it?

Same thing with Kirito, he has been playing online games ever since he was small, in his room. Yes she hides the gear (cause Kirito didn't know she plays ALO). And the family respects privacy. She plays while kirito isn't around, or she just locks the door and online for a few hours, then log out. No big deal.

It's anime logic anyway. Deal with it.
HibiChouchouOct 27, 2012 6:04 PM
Oct 27, 2012 6:03 PM

Jul 2012
ThanatosPersona said:
Well, that escalated quickly. Sugu/Lyfa fell in love with Kirito right after he saves her... Well, it does get more interesting from this point on but that part kind of irritated me. I feel so bad for Sugu since
I don't like Recon's voice... I thought it would be more deeper than that. As for Sugou, I think he's like a Male Zelda. His hair and outfit seems so similar to Zelda, except that it's green and is not a skirt. Geez, I hate him so freaking much.

Someone in the discussion for the last episode said they thought Lyfa looked like Link, and you said Sugou looks like Zelda. Maybe they based the character models after the Zelda games, lol.
Oct 27, 2012 6:04 PM
Jul 2011
How does the sister NOT know it's her Brother that was playing with her? They have the same name and the only difference is his Hair. God damn retarded anime logic.
Oct 27, 2012 6:05 PM

Jan 2008
AnimeFtw1 said:
How does the sister NOT know it's her Brother that was playing with her? They have the same name and the only difference is his Hair. God damn retarded anime logic.

Kirito's name is not Kirito. It's Kirigaya Kazuto. The only 'smart' enough character in this anime to use their actual name is Asuna.
Oct 27, 2012 6:05 PM

Sep 2012
Unfortunately, I saw the episode right after viewing episode 23 of Fate/Zero (Ep. 10 of the second season)

Spoiler about fate/zero

SOOOOO basically, this episode of Sword Art Online was blown out of the water...

Too bad.
Oct 27, 2012 6:07 PM

Aug 2011
SetsukoHara said:

Anyway, Sugou's such a gentleman, he could have undressed Asuna, but he didn't, and he could probably alter her memory, and once again he didn't. You gotta love this guy!

You are my idol.

Jul 2012
AnimeFtw1 said:

Kirito is his username in the games

Jul 2011
AnimeFtw1 said:

- She may not know his avatar name
- Since it´s an avatar, ANYONE COULD HAVE SET UP THE CHARACTER LIKE THAT!
I´m more curious about how absolutely nobody knows about Kirito being some kind of local hero (unless the novel explained that the goverment did not disclose certain information about SAO´s incident and then the anime skipped it)
Pages (12) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

53 by soli1239 »»
May 6, 8:27 PM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

71 by ItsQuintaly »»
May 5, 12:05 AM

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.