Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2012 8:17 PM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This was so refreshing to see western might and magic series loved it though would prefer more epic story less comedy, but this genre in anime is rare so it is all good.
Dec 8, 2013 4:40 PM
Jul 2013
It was a fun ride watching louie in his adventures. If only series like this kept running things would be so much more amazing especially to have so much comedy despite a civil war or national wars.

I'll revisit this one for sure :)
Jun 22, 2014 3:02 PM

Aug 2010
I really enjoyed this series and I'm glad that Lily joins them again cause I liked her.
Probably going to read the manga sometime to see these guys go on their adventures.
Jul 3, 2016 11:56 PM

Jun 2014
I really enjoyed watching this. Fantasy action comedy is among my favorite genres in Anime, and Rune Soldier Louie is among one of the great ones.

I'll definitely check out the Manga someday.

Nov 15, 2016 5:57 PM
Dec 2014
Liked this show, pushed all the right buttons, so I'm giving it a 9.
Mar 21, 2019 3:43 AM

May 2010
A classic old school adventure show.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jan 29, 2021 5:19 AM
Apr 2015
This show suffered a little bit at the end, it should have been a few episodes longer. Arc should have really been about 10 episodes
Mar 1, 2021 6:21 PM
Dec 2019
DragonIncursio said:
This show suffered a little bit at the end, it should have been a few episodes longer. Arc should have really been about 10 episodes

The final arc was fine. Any longer and the show would not have been able to bear the weight of its own seriousness because it is a comedy after all. A lot of lighthearted shows fall off a cliff once they attempt to do something serious for long.

The only major problem with this show is that there are too many throwaway episodes in the middle, like the writers were just filling space. That's also where most of the cancerous ecchi humor is. The show is episodic and that's OK, but only when each episode has enough comedy or adds enough to the characters and/or their relationships. The show managed to pick up the slack towards the end by building the characters, even if only a little.

I finished the show yesterday and I'm already missing it. Sure, it's not masterpiece by the average MAL user's standards but for me it was a gem because I rarely enjoy anime. There's usually too much anime bullshit getting in the way like moe, dumb shounen battles, fanservice, dumb humor, and heavy handed themes. As the reviews noted, despite this show having a female heavy cast surrounding a male character, there's no romance, which is quite refreshing. And none of the women are characterized as cute. Yes, they fit archetypes, but they don't feel archetypal. A lot of characters that fit an archetype only feel like they're playing out their archetype, rather than people who happen to fit the description. The mannerisms and interactions feel natural (outside of the ecchi parts) for the most part thanks to the stellar English voice cast, who don't try to match the exaggerated energy of Japanese voice acting but rather take a more toned down approach. The characters end up feeling like people, not characters.

A lot of that has to do with the subtlety in this series, which is sorely lacking in most anime. There's rarely a moment where people just come out and say things to cement some character development, or make a climatic personal leap. True to life, people change but they don't change that much. As I've already mentioned in a previous post, one great example of this subdued approach is when Genie gets told that her comrade had sacrificed himself because he loved her, and she barely reacts. In lesser anime, there would've been tears and dramatic flashbacks. The way she then makes up with Louie is also natural. There's no apologies after a fist fight.

Another moment is near the finale, when Ila comes in with a bag full of her gizmos and she's trying to mask her worry for Louie by preparing for the assault. That moment got me.

The subtlety applies to the character development too. Louie's acceptance into the group and the growth of his own magical powers is slow and steady, so that you barely notice it, but by the time the finale rolls around, you realize just how far they've come. The girls don't really say much at that time, either. They talk a little bit about how stupid Louie is but then they head there to join him. When he starts punching the shield, they just join him. It's showing, not telling.

One hiccup that I thought the show had was making Louie stupid enough to go after the bad guy on his own, which directly contradicts the character development that he needs, but looking back I think they intentionally did that to allow the opportunity for the rest of the group to show their faith in him despite not knowing the full situation. If he had stopped at the inn and told them first, then they would not have been able to do that. At the end of the day, Louie is still a big dumb brute, but he showed signs of critical thinking when he suspected that something was afoul and chose to pee in the pot used to make the dragon. So while his character growth was not as drastic as viewers would've liked, it's also realistically slow.

The same applies for the other characters, who each get their character centric episodes that change them a little or flesh them out. In the episode where Merril has to choose between lying for the rest of her life by marrying the rich guy, or giving up a fortune, she doesn't have an epiphany where she goes back on her cheapskate mentality and does the right thing. Rather, her friends bail her out and she feels relieved. So while the episode didn't exactly develop her in a straightforward way, it made her question her own values--- how far would she go for money? That makes her such a realistically flawed person.

So yeah, I think it's a pretty good show. If it had better audiovisuals, it would've been great. Unfortunately Record of Lodoss War gets all the good designs and songs even though its story and characters are trash. If only there was a way to merge the two in a remake but the remake wouldn't keep the old school charm.
RecynonApr 20, 2021 1:41 PM
Apr 29, 2021 5:10 PM
Aug 2019
Does the anime cover the whole light novel of Rune Soldier ?
Nov 4, 2021 7:56 AM

Feb 2014
Ngl I thought that finale was kinda weak. Like the whole plot with Lily was concluded so easily and quickly. And then apparently Dardanel had some Laputa-espque power and protection but we didn't get to see what exactly it did or how exactly he conjured it, it just kinda happened because he knew how to do it but they didn't showcase any of that. I'm glad they all beat the barrier in the end by punching it, it was a very Rune Soldier-esque thing to do xD

But despite imo what I felt was an underwhelming ending, I really liked the show! I wasn't sure how I would like it after a few episodes, but it very much had its charm. I enjoyed the comedy and grew close to the characters. I also liked how they kept having the side characters come back. They obviously weren't the focus of the show, but they played enough of a role that was fitting for when they would come in. Overall I'd give this an 8-9/10!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2022 1:47 AM

Aug 2018
Anyone new to this series I would definitely recommend skipping episodes 12-21. You won't miss a damn thing unless you enjoy filler with insipid plots, dumb humor and out of character behavior.

First eleven episodes had me thinking I found a hidden gem of an anime. They were genuinely great. Too bad the finale was crammed into a mere three episodes.

6/10

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Senshi Louie Episode 3 Discussion

greenmarty - Jul 17, 2012

3 by wildhood »»
Jan 19, 4:13 AM

Poll: » Rune Soldier Episode 1 Discussion

Tasolth - Jun 21, 2010

7 by AkiFosu »»
Jul 26, 2023 2:33 PM

Poll: » Mahou Senshi Louie Episode 5 Discussion

Mukkura - Jun 20, 2014

3 by tr25a3 »»
Jun 4, 2023 3:29 AM

Poll: » Mahou Senshi Louie Episode 23 Discussion

Mukkura - Jun 22, 2014

2 by Noodle070 »»
Nov 4, 2021 7:23 AM

Poll: » Mahou Senshi Louie Episode 22 Discussion

Mukkura - Jun 22, 2014

2 by Noodle070 »»
Nov 3, 2021 1:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.