Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Your First Impression Of Kurapika Being A Girl?
Oct 7, 2012 7:49 PM

Jul 2012
i only started watching hunter x hunter because i thought kurapika was a independent, strong, female that I could relate to, because since i am new to watching anime it seems that most females are sideline characters or used for entertainment.

since finding out kurapika is a guy..i guess it isn't so bad anymore : / but because i am so far into HxH now, i am going to keep watching, and it is also a good story ^.^
Oct 7, 2012 7:58 PM

Nov 2010
I don't remember because it was like 5 years ago, but probably for like a couple minutes if at all. In each series he has a girl as his VA, so that coupled with not knowing much about him probably fooled me for a couple minutes.
Oct 7, 2012 8:39 PM

Aug 2012
I started with the manga, and I never considered him being mistaken for a girl until that character poll came up and some of the fans reaction(?) when it came to kurapika was something like "we like him cuz 'is it a girl? a boy? we can't tell". and I was wondering why, because at that point he didn't look all that much like a bishounen to me (he started looking more like one during YS I think)
NA's adaptation added some weird stuff in the beginning though.

and Celastias, you're not going to find a whole lot of the female characters you're looking for in a shounen anime xDD
Oct 7, 2012 8:49 PM

Nov 2010
meshimoon said:

and Celastias, you're not going to find a whole lot of the female characters you're looking for in a shounen anime xDD

People like Erza from Fairy Tail as a strong female in a shounen anime. But there probably aren't a lot more, more iffy female characters like the ones from One Piece or Naruto.
Oct 7, 2012 8:54 PM

Jul 2012
well i am still learning the genre's of anime, i saw a picture of kurapika and started watching before i knew anything about hunter x hunter or "shounen" C:
Oct 7, 2012 9:06 PM

Oct 2012
i was watched the original anime--not the remake one, i knew that kurapika is a guy but the more i watch, the more i looked at him as a girl because of his personality and appearance really looks like girl.
Oct 8, 2012 6:59 AM

Sep 2012
No ofcourse!..
Oct 8, 2012 8:42 AM

Sep 2010
Yes, only for a moment but that's to be expected from at least one character per work from Togashi.

Oct 8, 2012 12:01 PM
Mar 2012
just like kurama, togashi does it on purpose.
Oct 17, 2012 8:34 AM
Jun 2012
i knew he was a boy all along, but he looks like a girl to me. i guess hes a pretty boy lol :S
Oct 17, 2012 9:21 AM

Sep 2012
Thought he was a boy when I first watched the old anime, but when he revealed his earrings I thought he's a girl who pretended to be a boy (there was some knight anime I watched around the same time and this happened in it so it's their fault)
Oct 17, 2012 9:43 AM

Apr 2011
In the original I thought kurapika was a girl till Greed Island OVAs when someone said "he" and I noticed. I wonder how my face was then, since I was mindblown.
Oct 17, 2012 2:44 PM

Nov 2011
When I originally started reading the manga I thought he was a girl at first.
Apr 10, 2016 2:03 PM
Oct 2015
Between the voice and the way he was drawn I thought that it was a girl disguising herself as a boy. My theory kept being validated when he was in the shower and it didn't go past his sholders, and when the other guy walked in to the cabin they were sharing naked he flipped out (i fogot his name, it the doctor with the case). Also when they went to zevil? Island and the little monkey started to follow him around the doctor made a reference to monkeys wanting to stay with the alpha male, he flipped out again. I honestly didn't finish the series and thought that it was going to be a reverse trap. But after reading that he was not a girl I am baffled.
Apr 14, 2016 7:56 PM
Mar 2016
When I watched Boku no Pico, I think that Pico is a female
Dec 7, 2016 4:49 PM
Sep 2016
Kurapika is a girl, Chrollo said it first, Chrollo can't be mistaken because it's Chrollo.
Dec 8, 2016 2:32 AM

Nov 2014
Lol, who doesn't? His design and voice really support him to be mistaken as a girl.. He's a cool character though, one of my favorite in the series for sure..
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

Dec 8, 2016 2:40 AM

Mar 2014
Lol, wtf?

I voted yes (God knows when), but I came to this thread to say I realised he was a guy as soon as I saw him....
Dec 8, 2016 10:55 AM

Jan 2015
When I first watched hunter x hunter it never crossed my mind Kurapika wasn't a boy. But that was before I knew ambiguous sexes were a thing in anime, and something Togash was known for. So knowing what I know now I'm pretty sure Kurapika is a girl.
Jan 3, 2017 8:27 AM
Jun 2016
My friend introduced me to hxh during the chairman election arc xD and i thought kurapika was a girl until my friend clarified he was not and i was like. o.O Once i went to watch the series he definitely looks more like a boy in the first arcs until Yorknew where his hair grew lomger.
Jan 14, 2017 3:12 PM

Jan 2015
I did think he was a girl when I first watched HxH (the original one) but apparently I was wrong, lol. If you have watched the original HxH, they made Kurapika acted more like a girl. But Kurapika could be a girl pretending to be a boy.

It doesn't matter though, he's still one of my favourites character and HxH is one of my fav anime/manga, lol.
Jan 15, 2017 5:22 AM
Jul 2016
I did think he was a girl at the begging too and i was a little disapointed to learn he wasnt a girl but now i am very happy he is a boy bc i have fallen in love with him xD
Jan 15, 2017 9:34 AM

Jul 2012
RyanEvan said:
Between the voice and the way he was drawn I thought that it was a girl disguising herself as a boy. My theory kept being validated when he was in the shower and it didn't go past his sholders, and when the other guy walked in to the cabin they were sharing naked he flipped out (i fogot his name, it the doctor with the case).

by "the doctor with the case" you mean leorio?
i don't remember this part at all tbh
i never thought kurapika was a girl, maybe because i watched too many shoujo animes so androgynous characters are a normal thing to me :P
Jan 18, 2017 11:55 PM
Aug 2013
He is a sexy trap..

Or best girl, i dint decided yet.
Mar 1, 2017 4:38 PM
Feb 2017
hey_p said:
RyanEvan said:
Between the voice and the way he was drawn I thought that it was a girl disguising herself as a boy. My theory kept being validated when he was in the shower and it didn't go past his sholders, and when the other guy walked in to the cabin they were sharing naked he flipped out (i fogot his name, it the doctor with the case).

by "the doctor with the case" you mean leorio?
i don't remember this part at all tbh
i never thought kurapika was a girl, maybe because i watched too many shoujo animes so androgynous characters are a normal thing to me :P

Ryan is talking about the classic version of the anime. For some reason, the creators thought it would be a good idea to create three filler episodes showing an extra test in the Hunter Exam arc. At some point of the filler, Kurapika and Leorio share a bedroom in a ship. When Leorio gets out of the bathroom after showering, Kurapika gets all "gzzz! You're naked!" and beats him. It was pretty funny. :v
Mar 1, 2017 4:44 PM

Jan 2017
When I first got into manga as a middle schooler Hunter x Hunter was one of the first ones I saw on the book shelf. I remember seeing Kurapika on the front of the manga and wondering if he was a boy or girl but never bothered to actually look because at the time I was only interested in magical girl stuff lol.

im weeb trash

Mar 1, 2017 4:44 PM
Feb 2017
At first, I had no idea whether Kurapika was a boy or a girl. Since I was only reading the manga -- I didn't watch the anime that time --, there was no voice to guide me. So, I imagined he was a girl. It didn't last long. After he took off the tabard during his battle in the Trick Tower, I found out he was a boy. Some chapters after, he confirmed this during a conversation with Kuroro. But even today many people insist he is actually a girl dressing and acting like a boy.
Mar 4, 2017 2:40 AM

Jun 2015
I saw him for the first time in J-Stars and at that point I've already watched enough anime to recognize a trap

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

63 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 5:43 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Apr 24, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

45 by PushedCaraway »»
Apr 24, 11:22 AM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.