Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 14, 2007 5:08 AM

Aug 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A bit of an anti climax in my opinion.I was expecting a bit more when Dante seems to activate his Devil Trigger, but he defeats the deamon that should end the world without even landing a blow. Possibly the shortest fight in the whole series.

They definitely copped out by saying he couldn't attain the full power as his soul was corrupt, a moral message perhaps?

Mary and Trish had a few decent moments in the first half, but still a bit of a let down.

This episode may be called "Stylish", but that is one thing it is not.
_edge_Sep 14, 2007 5:19 AM

Sep 15, 2007 10:23 AM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
The whole series is a definition of letdown, IMO. They had all the potential, and they blew it.
Sep 15, 2007 10:43 PM

May 2007
moozooh said:
The whole series is a definition of letdown, IMO. They had all the potential, and they blew it.

I think they basically made this game into an anime just so the true gamers can see Dante is pure anime form. I mean, the series was episodic in a way and there wasn't really a storyline through the 12 episodes. Dante basically kicked ass in every episode and no monster really posed a challenge to him. I mean, even the last demon in the last episode was defeated with one attack. Wtf?

Oh well, it was fun to see Dante in action. That's really about it.
Sep 17, 2007 4:34 PM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
vindemon64 said:
I think they basically made this game into an anime just so the true gamers can see Dante is pure anime form. I mean, the series was episodic in a way and there wasn't really a storyline through the 12 episodes.

Making a game into an anime would mean to leave at least something from its story (not to mention the elaborate action sequences). However, there can be so much more to it; DMC universe is rich enough to allow a great amount of variation and details not shown in the games, like Dante's childhood, events from the demon world involving Sparda, Vergil, and so on. Any of such plots and subplots would look better than this slice-of-life approach with Dante killing a lone and comparatively weak demon in each episode without any major reason. I can't believe they just decided to purposefully ignore all the possibilities and use Patty as a plot device... quite an atrocious plot device, at that.
Sep 17, 2007 7:23 PM

May 2007
I think he won a little too easily....emphasis on little =/. I mean, Dante is cool and all, and sure its fun to see a main character constantly pwn those who deserve it, but .... at least make it a bit of a challenge for him =p
Sep 18, 2007 1:28 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
moozooh said:

Yep, that's how you can perfectly describe this show. There were a lot of things that got left out, unexplained, or just happened because they fitted in. Might be enough for the fans of the game, but as an anime it doesn't get a higher score than a 6, and that's mostly because of the art.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Sep 18, 2007 6:38 AM

Aug 2006
Well, I never played the game, so I probably wasn't as disappointed as many. I thought it was a "good" series, but nothing amazing. The last 2 episodes were really good, but ... with that being said...

...that final fight definitely felt "rushed"... and Dante, being able to take him out soooo quickly, seemed unlikely, compared to what the one lady was saying about how powerful this demon was supposed to be.

Other than that, I truly did enjoy the series. It wasn't mind-blowing awesome, but a decent series. 7/10
Sep 18, 2007 12:38 PM
Jul 2007
Im annoyed that the last episode was so short and that WE NEVER GOT TO SEE DEVIL DANTE..... if dante was to have had a little *cough* lot * cough* longer final fight and transformed i would have gave it a big juicy 10..... but nothing happened all that happens is his eyes glow red and the big bad apolclypse ends in a split second
Sep 18, 2007 5:51 PM

Jul 2007
Overall the episode was good but still the last fight was too rushed.

I've never played the games so I have nothing to feel disappointed about, overall I thought the series was good. Nothing to write home about but certainly a good mind numbingly violent show. I give it an 8/10
Sep 19, 2007 4:08 AM

Apr 2007
UnhallowedDeceit said:
Overall the episode was good but still the last fight was too rushed.

I've never played the games so I have nothing to feel disappointed about, overall I thought the series was good. Nothing to write home about but certainly a good mind numbingly violent show. I give it an 8/10

ditto. 8/10, though it really deserves a 6 or so.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 19, 2007 4:42 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
If I gave DMC an 8, I would down-rate any other anime I've rated an 8. I have never played the game (though I've seen screenshots, read about it etc.). Up to the last episode, this anime was basically plot-less and only the art which had some potential kept me watching. Also I liked Patty's character. The last two eps had a bit of a story which was good but the end was rushed into an invincible-Dante-scenario so that effect has almost been erased again. If I could rate .5's it would've been a 6.5 but since I can't, I really don't see why this show should get a higher rating for me.

I don't mean to offend anyone who liked it, just stating my thoughts behind the rating. (:

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Sep 19, 2007 4:17 PM

Jan 2007
This episode was lame. All I wanted to see was some cool fighting scenes. And they couldn't even give me that. Very disappointed.
Sep 22, 2007 3:23 PM
Sep 2007
Hey I'am new to this site but hope to become a regular...

I definitely liked this episode and would like to theorize that Dante actually did reach Devil trigger but that it wasn't shown. I mean we know that the guy is twice as fast and strong when reached.
The ending doesn't top the one from the previous ep though. I love the sword in the man...
By the by does anyone know if there are any wallpapers of that particular scene
Sep 23, 2007 7:38 PM

Jul 2007
Highly disappointed, but I did manage to find things to entertain myself while watching the episode. Mainly Dante and his: "I wasn't really dead, I was just having a nap while the world gets destroyed.. la la la. All this blood? I've got more to spare.. let's splash it around a bit more. Wheee!"
Really, it was a pretty funny episode. Although I'm sure it wasn't supposed to be. XD

As for the whole series, it was pointless bloody (lack of) action, with a few interesting characters and a lot of potential. At least it was pretty.
Nov 2, 2007 8:06 AM

Jun 2007
6/10 boring story, bad action and ugly girls :/
at least Dante's still hot...
Nov 2, 2007 2:29 PM

Oct 2007
I enjoyed this series only because there was Dante. Everything else was very disappointing, not that I was really hoping something like the game.

I'll give this a 6/10 just because Dante is hot. And a hot man is worth at least this much.

Nov 9, 2007 9:12 AM

Sep 2007
Dante makes Chuck Noris looks like a naughty kid.
redbuzzNov 9, 2007 10:33 AM
Nov 9, 2007 2:30 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
redbuzz said:
Dante makes Chuck Noris looks like a naughty kid.

The other way around maybe.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Nov 9, 2007 2:32 PM

Jul 2007
what the crap, how are you guys still watching devil may cry, it was liscensed wasnt it? did it come out on DVD already?

Nov 9, 2007 2:41 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Well, I finished it when it was being subbed.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Nov 9, 2007 2:42 PM

Jul 2007
cyruz said:
Well, I finished it when it was being subbed.

im so jealous.

Nov 9, 2007 2:44 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I'm sure you can still find running torrents on torrentz dot com or somewhere else.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Nov 11, 2007 1:36 AM
Sep 2007
Yeah, I was totally disappointed at the lack of devil mode Dante :-( That's pretty much what kept me watching the series haha. Oh well, I guess Dante kinda reminds me of Alucard in how he pretty much pwns every single demon. Technically, he kinda got pwned when he got stabbed. But yeah, the "climatic" fight was freakin' short.

Oh well, I guess I'll go out and get the game now. Damn anime totally fulfill its goal at advertising the game.
Nov 18, 2007 10:26 AM

Oct 2007
it was nice ending weird tho.^-^
Nov 29, 2007 1:26 PM

Oct 2007
Well the anime let me down too...even tho I love all of the games of DMC, the action potential in anime was areal letdown>.<
He won so quickly, Ok Dante we know u are an artist and a cool guy but I wanna see at least DEvil Trigger or while choppin his head ofF..
Anyway I hope they can make a second season..
Jul 21, 2008 8:09 PM

Jan 2008
cyruz said:
moozooh said:

Yep, that's how you can perfectly describe this show. There were a lot of things that got left out, unexplained, or just happened because they fitted in. Might be enough for the fans of the game, but as an anime it doesn't get a higher score than a 6, and that's mostly because of the art.

I agree with this entire post. Devil May Cry wasn't as great as I had anticipated it to be. The anime really didn't have much of a plot and you could have skipped many of the episodes in between and still be able to follow what was going on. I think they just focused on making Dante a bad-ass... Lol, in my opinion that's basically what the anime was about. Dante walked away from every battle unscathed and looking 'cool'. Needless to say, DMC was disappointing.

Amazing sig set thanks to -DraGonZ-
Aug 10, 2008 11:27 PM

Jul 2008
Actually I don't care about action but i wish i had seen the Devil Trigger. The other twins used their Devil Trigger(and black one's Trigger really looks like Dante's Nevan Trigger) so why not Dante! Damnit.
Oct 12, 2008 12:40 PM

May 2008
That was one of the most spectacular endings. Although, the whole anime is not so good.
Apr 10, 2009 9:02 PM

Feb 2009
Um this ending sucked, along with the rest of the anime. One moment the city's getting raped by demons, and the next everything's fine and all the corpses are gone, sun's shining and they lived happily ever after.

Also, the boss died to one friggin hit of Dante's sword. Dante's powerful and all, but there's only so much I can take...
I like anime and stuff
Sep 5, 2009 8:50 PM

Aug 2009
WTF NO DEVIL MODE DANTE?
I was hoping for one but I didn't get any. :(
AND WTF HE BEAT THAT DEMON WHO SUPPOSED TO RULE THE WORLD MAD FAST!

I guess this show is pretty much all about Dante and his awesome skillz. :)
7/10 for me.
Sep 26, 2009 12:51 AM

Jan 2009
Well, I watched this anime knowing that there wasn't gonna be a plot. I basically just watched it for all the flashiness. And I was sad to see that there wasn't even one Devil Trigger.

But this anime gave me a good ride. So I'll give it an 8 out of 10.
Oct 16, 2009 12:54 AM

Jun 2008
Kagome7 said:
it was nice ending weird tho.^-^

Meh I just finished, watching the anime... and well as a MAJOR DMG fangirl... let's say that I found it ok...
I mean had great start... but the ending was kinda...like...how I felt when I saw the ending of GSD...I mean disappointed =.=;... I hate rushed ending =.=...
aside that... the Anime.... was really...ordinary =.=;
Art was nice, sound was good action was cool, just the story was weird =.= and it was totally non cannon (meanind: it doesn't continu DMC, like the game...)to the game so meh =.=;
You dun see him Devil Trigger, trish wasn't on enough D=! Lady was evil in debting Dante D=! (that was actually funny, anime has some good laughs) I gave it 8\10...

but now I think the 3\5 stands a lil more...
HELL, YOU KNOW WHAT, I JUST WANT DMC 5 TO COME OUT, AND I WANT VERGIL IN IT! NEOW! D=!
I ship things I want! Why? Because it's fun!
I post retarded shit at times, sorry-- my dumbness might infect you!Please be cautious of me!
I don't come with a security label!

My anime list hasn't been updated for a really long time, so it's not accurate!

Dec 29, 2009 5:58 AM

Sep 2009
It was O.K
7/10
Mar 7, 2010 12:03 PM
Nov 2009
Yeah so this whole serie was pretty much about Dante being cool, but still one of the few series I had to watch nonstop to the end. There wasn't plot of anykind (one demon collecting few artifacts isn't really a one to mention) but while having a terrible hangover this kind of splatter anime really serves you right. Its true that those ps2 games were _superb_ compared to this and maybe thats the reason why ppl don't like this so much. Imo its was still a worth of watching<3
Mar 24, 2010 10:30 PM

Nov 2009
teehee, there seem to be quite a few disappointed fanatics --same as with any series, far be it for me to say.

my expectations were initially low, but considering they couldn't simply have made this supplementary to the game franchise, i've no reason to be disappointed --yet i am ^w^

--still enjoyable, though.
Apr 4, 2010 2:30 PM

May 2009
Too bad this anime was episodic, it'd been a lot better with a good story. Instead we got a random devil getting it's ass kicked by Dante each episode. A weak story made it boring.

There wasn't enough hack and slash with an overwhelming number of devils to be Devil May Cry either, but at least the animation and music were quite good.
Jun 24, 2010 2:58 AM

Oct 2008
Average show, a few letdowns.. but I still wanna play the game.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Sep 8, 2010 11:41 AM

Dec 2009
-How much blood can a man have.-

What a letdown. He finished it with just one blow.
Dec 6, 2010 2:31 PM

Oct 2010
The end was indeed rushed, I'd like to see how did he manage to wake up and come back.
His fight with that bloody demon lacked logic. First he somehow lost (it wasn't even shown how exactly it happened), then somehow woke up (not to mention that Patty almost pulled his sword out) and eventually he kills that demon as easily as usually.
You can say that he was invincible after all, but that's not exactly a truth. If Patty hadn't come to the world of devils, he wouldn't have managed to come back.

As for the whole series, I'll give it max 7 I think (need to compare it with other series on my list). I really enjoyed it even though it was mainly action. Someone mentioned about Black Lagoon, imo DMC is much worse than BL, but that's just my opinion.

top 3 anime: Code Geass | One Piece | Death Note
Jan 18, 2011 12:16 AM

Aug 2010
Not a bad anime. Graphics & music are amazing, they combine with each other. Yes, Dante is a charismatic character, some of his jokes are funny enough. But he hasn't make me to worry about him, even in last episode. I knew that he would win in any battles. There was not pressure in them.
1, 11 and 12 episodes was the best among of all.
Imo, this anime is something like"Hellsing".
8/10
Sorry for my English ^^
Jan 20, 2011 9:19 PM

Jan 2010
It's a shame they didn't make a sequel of this. could have had something
Jan 14, 2012 2:38 PM

Dec 2009
Overall the anime was nice, but we didn't get to know about Dante's past or how he became a Devil Hunter. All we know is that one of his parents was a demon and the other one human.
And I knew Patty wouldn't live him after all. <3

I really want to play the game, I only played a little bit at my friends house. It was so good! ;A;

8/10
May 27, 2012 4:19 PM

Jan 2012
Well, I expected more from the strongest demon, but whatever. The show was pretty good, the only letdown was the weak enemies. Anyhow, it was entertaining and enjoyable, I would definitely watch another season of this. Well, maybe someday it will be animated.

Aug 17, 2012 6:43 AM

Jul 2011
Looks like Dante was far more stronger than I was thinking first :D
Yup, great anime. Interesting characters and some demon killing <3

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Nov 4, 2012 10:12 PM

Nov 2011
Overall, it was an okay series. I mean, it wasn't too special and the story was confusing.

Also, Dante almost seemed liked a Gary Stu at times with his overwhelming abilities. (except in the finale episodes) Oh, and Patty is an annoying bitch.

That final scene of the finale was pretty cool though with Trish, Lady, Dante.

6/10.
Feb 14, 2013 3:51 PM

Feb 2013
I honestly think it was more to do with the animation budget and not wanting to animate fucking anything they didn't have to.

It's a really odd decision considering the whole draw of the games and why people would watch this would be the action!

I still really enjoyed the whole series though, I prefer standalone episodes to a big long continuing saga.
Mar 24, 2013 1:45 AM

Feb 2013
I went into this anime thinking it was gonna be pretty bad from everything I had heard about it but I actually did enjoy it.

I have to agree with others that this anime could have been alot more but oh well it was pretty entertaining for what it was. I think the biggest disappointment for me in this final ep was the lack of devil trigger in the final fight and the lack of an actual fight all together.

But overall it was pretty good I give it a 7/10
Shape430Mar 26, 2013 2:02 AM
Mar 27, 2013 11:52 AM
May 2012
Worst episode in the series. The whole Patty stuff was extremely annoying and stupid.
Mar 28, 2013 8:47 AM
Mar 2012
Shame about the ending, the rest of series, especially the poker episode, was great and I loved it but then it pulled a black cat and gave me a build up to what ended up being a pretty crap fight.
May 13, 2013 3:22 PM

Jan 2013
Overall anime dissapointing 7. Each eppisode on it's own 9-10. Weird but that's what I'm feeling.

Also this anime must be the most viewed by girls. Just look at all these comments, over half of the comments are by female members. Not that it's a bad thing, and I find it awesome that 2 of them are also high enough fans of Hellsing to be using Hellsing avatars. That anime is 10/10 all the way. I love it!
(edit: my anime list page has Hellsing background)
ao_no_exoMay 13, 2013 3:27 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Devil May Cry Episode 9 Discussion

Sarcastic - Aug 19, 2007

21 by HazeShalom »»
Mar 5, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Devil May Cry Episode 3 Discussion

Lepchin - Jun 28, 2009

31 by Dj_Bus_Driver »»
Feb 12, 5:05 AM

Poll: » Devil May Cry Episode 8 Discussion

Sarcastic - Aug 18, 2007

28 by TarikKabir »»
Nov 18, 2023 10:48 AM

Poll: » Devil May Cry Episode 7 Discussion

zippy - Feb 17, 2008

23 by TarikKabir »»
Nov 18, 2023 10:47 AM

Poll: » Devil May Cry Episode 11 Discussion

_edge_ - Sep 11, 2007

27 by bushman66 »»
Nov 16, 2023 5:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.