Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 15, 2012 5:16 PM

Jan 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
And so the heartwarming story of the Yamazaki family ends. I would actually watch a second season to see what happens next as Japan goes through the period of technological growth and economic power--and also see what happens to the Yamazakis as the children age and start families of their own. I know that will probably not happen, but I really enjoyed the nostalgic feel of this show and the small family dramas that propelled the plot.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

May 16, 2014 5:28 PM

Nov 2011
Good show overall, rated it 7/10. I thought some of the drama involved in the second half was still realistic and the way it portrayed more of the past period with modern features was done right.
Aug 31, 2014 3:27 AM

Nov 2011
You can color me surprised, 3 eps in i was pretty sure this was going to be one of the most boring anime i've ever seen, then all of a sudden out of nowhere the writing improved exponentially and the portrayal of family life is as realistic as it gets, really wouldn't mind a 2nd season.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Sep 30, 2015 10:13 AM

May 2012
Nice anime 7/10
The way they showed Showa period & how people lived, was good to me.
The problem is the animation & seiyuues in my opinion, even so it still good anime :).
Mar 11, 2017 3:13 PM
Aug 2013
That was a very enjoyable and heartwarming anime ♥
Jan 28, 2018 10:27 PM

Jan 2012
Sweet ending, and after I was so sure at least the granny would die if not the dad but no, they both made it. Ah the power of color television, it shouldn't be underestimated. XD Anyway I know I'm supposed to be watching anime films for a bit outside of the regular seasonal shows I'm also watching, but I decided to watch this before my next film because it also happens to take place during the 1964 Tokyo Olympics. And this series was pretty good I'd say. I get the sense this was created to tug heavily on the nostalgia string for those who were alive at the time. As neither Japanese nor someone who was alive in 1984 much less 1964 it was certainly an interesting glimpse into life at that time. And those educational segments at the end of each episode where they would actual give some history and show some of the places used in the show as they looked back then and in the present was really interesting. Production wise it certainly didn't set the world on fire, but it looked good enough for what it was trying to do. I gotta admit part of my mind did wander during some of it into "would 60s American sitcoms handle things this way?" primarily for fun. I wondered if Andy Griffith would ever slap around Opie for instance the way the dad in this show did his youngest child. Not to say that wasn't realistic or anything because it certainly was and probably still is. If anything it was those American sitcoms that were unrealistic. But I just found it humorous to think about. And the dark humor enthusiast in me got a laugh out of the dad threatening to slap his daughter into next Tuesday after she was fucking around so much.(I thought of the Angry Beavers episode where Norbert keeps doing that to Dagget for real) but I'm rambling now. The drama mostly worked I'd say and there were humorous moments, the Mothra parody in one episode comes to mind. So yeah, this wasn't a bad show. Solid 7 out of 10. Now looking forward to finally watching that film I teased at the beginning.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shouwa Monogatari Episode 11 Discussion

rodac - Jul 26, 2012

2 by chriskris91 »»
Jan 6, 2023 4:32 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Monogatari Episode 8 Discussion

rodac - May 28, 2012

2 by Berry-Vodka »»
Feb 9, 2020 10:06 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Monogatari Episode 7 Discussion

rodac - May 18, 2012

2 by Berry-Vodka »»
Dec 15, 2019 9:11 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Monogatari Episode 2 Discussion

Ousto - May 1, 2011

4 by Berry-Vodka »»
Dec 4, 2019 5:54 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Monogatari Episode 5 Discussion

rodac - Apr 7, 2012

3 by circe154 »»
Jun 30, 2017 1:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.