Forum Settings
Forums

Watching an anime series Ongoing vs. watching it when its completed

New
Jul 8, 2012 3:00 AM
Apr 2012
I recently noticed the difference in my own opinion when I watch an ongoing anime(an episode a week) vs. watching a completed series not having to wait for the next episode. To me, sometimes the anime has a better feel to it when i can watch the whole thing at one time, not exactly in one sitting but you get the point. I get that people watch ongoing cause its fun and it always gives people something to look forward to every week or they just can't wait to see the series etc. But right now I almost fell like not even bothering watching ongoing until its completed even if some of the anime look really good. Is this just me or do other people feel the same? I would love to hear opinions :]
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 8, 2012 3:17 AM

May 2008
Once a week for a series that's actually good... that's murder for me. I don't even want to think about how I'd be if I had to endure something as addictive as Ippo or Death Note that way. Nope, I'll probably never watch a "Currently Airing". I don't know how you guys do it... freaking patient gurus.

Besides, the bonus of waiting is the possibility of better fansubbers picking it up versus the speedsubs you normally get. Slap on some Bluray quality too if you wait long enough.
FauxAznJul 8, 2012 3:28 AM
Jul 8, 2012 4:49 AM
May 2012
I don't mind picking up an on-going once in a while. Only criteria for them to be short around 12 epis max.
Other reason is that with busy schedule it's easy to keep a track of it. Once a week something to look forward to after days of break.

Jul 8, 2012 5:02 AM

Mar 2009
I prefer watching a completed anime. Watching something ongoing is annoying because you have to wait for episodes and there's no sense of continuity.
Jul 8, 2012 5:10 AM

Oct 2010
Prefer completet animes, but sometimes i also watch ongoing, like when its a 2 season of something I watched when completet. Also if I really liked the manga, or when its looks very very promising.
Watching ongoin stuff is just a pain, mxingup which episode ive already watched, bad subs... :/
Jul 8, 2012 5:17 AM

Jun 2009
AlexSadist-sama said:
I prefer watching a completed anime. Watching something ongoing is annoying because you have to wait for episodes and there's no sense of continuity.
Pretty much this.

I wait for a show to finish airing before I start watching it. I might not be "up to date" with the most current shows that way, but I enjoy watching it like that a lot more. Also following a dozen shows at the same time kinda makes things confusing...
Jul 8, 2012 5:23 AM

Apr 2010
AlexSadist-sama said:

I second that. I like to marathon my anime episodes.
I don't have patience except for the endless series.
There are still the factors of getting early spoils and being outdated. But I'm used to them.
BD ftw!
Jul 8, 2012 5:32 AM

Aug 2008
I'm well informed about what's airing and I don't have the patience to wait for something to finish, so I watch basically everything as it airs.

Sometimes I would prefer to marathon a story/action anime, but conversely I always enjoy comedies/episodic series much more when I watch them weekly.
Jul 8, 2012 5:40 AM

Jan 2008
I do both but don't be surprised if I started a completed anime but finished watching a one season currently airing anime before finishing that completed anime. I have an incredibly bad habit of dropping/pausing on all anime about 3/4ths the way through.

Anyways, one reason why I can handle watching anime weekly is because there is so many stuff to watch, it isn't just "one episode a week".
Jul 8, 2012 5:43 AM

Nov 2011
I prefer completed series.

Although, if kodomo no jikan got a 3rd season(and it actually covered everything between chapter 20 and chapter 84+, preferably in multiple seasons) I would watch it when its on-going. Same goes for Btooom!, Gantz(not just the first 3 arcs), Liar game and battle royale.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Jul 8, 2012 5:51 AM

Nov 2011
If it's a series I really like I prefer to watch it when it's done. It's just better that way, I don't know how I would manage if I was watching Brotherhood or Steins;Gate while it was airing. That's some of the anime I couldn't stop watching because they had so good cliffhangers. If I'd have to wait for a week for each episode I would have punched myself multiple times.

But then again, when watching airing anime it's easier to get through the less "good" anime, and I find I can watch stuff that I probably would have dropped otherwise, because it's like 20 minutes a week. And another thing about watching airing ones, it's fucking fun to discuss a series with people as it's airing, which you kind of miss out on when you just watch completed series. Sure you can discuss them, but it's nothing compared to the discussions and theories that are presented as they are airing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2012 7:25 AM

Apr 2012
I usually have a decent mixture, right now I'm not watching anything being simulcasted but thats not because I dont like to. I do have to admit though, waiting a week can be annoying, that's why i usually wait until a series is in the middle of its first season (if its brand new) to start.
I'm just some opinionated asshole on the internet
Jul 8, 2012 9:01 AM

Dec 2008
I hardly ever watch things as they're airing. Usually I have to play catch up if it is at some point, and by then, the discussion train has moved on to bigger and better things. It also has to be something that has peaked my interest enough for me to go, "Hey, let me check this out," rather than, "Hey, I'll watch that when it finishes."

However, there is something fulfilling to me when I watch it week by week. It's like having a show everyone watches at the workplace, and when someone brings up what happened on this week's episode, everyone gets excited and starts talking about it. In this case, it's fellow watchers in forums and the like, but it's as it is happening, and not reading someone's comment years down the line with almost no one to comment or discuss further.

Since I watch about 99% of my anime after it has aired and completed, I'm kind of inconsistent about when I watch and what I watch. Overall, though, it doesn't change my opinion of the series; only gives me the satisfaction that I got to watch it with everyone else as it aired and that I completed something great. It's just a silly way of self satisfaction for me.
Jul 8, 2012 9:05 AM

Jul 2011
AlexSadist-sama said:

Quoted for truth.

When I first started watching One Piece and Naruto, I was really sucked into the plot, characters, and world. Now, I can hardly remember what happened in the week's episode before and grown less interested. Oh, and don't get me started on silly filler episodes. Not only do I have to wait a week for the next episode, but then there's absolutely no continuity between the previous. Suddenly, we're kids again. Ugh.
Jul 8, 2012 9:15 AM

Jun 2012
It depends really. If I find an anime I like the look of but its airing, I will wait for it to finish, because I wouldnt be able to wait for new episodes if I got really into it and finished the only episodes out in about two days. Only thing is, for animes that I have already watched and enjoyed, but are due new series soon, I wouldnt be able to wait for that to finish airing. For example, Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? is most probably going to have a new series at some point (even though I will have to wait seeing as the last one just ended) and when it comes out, I can assure you I wont be waiting an entire month to watch it, I will be all over the episodes the second they come out!
Jul 8, 2012 9:40 AM

Sep 2011
Completed.
Jul 8, 2012 9:42 AM

Feb 2012
Currently airing anime can be a pain since it's weekly. For me, It's easy to forget a few things that happened in the previous weeks ep especially if you watch more than 5 currently airing anime at a time.

I prefer watching a completed series and in blu-ray. That way it's uncensored and you get the best quality possible.

I'm not sure I would have enjoyed Death Note as much if I saw it while it was airing. 12-13 ep anime are fine and even 24 is tolerable. But 37? Ugh >_<
YveseJul 8, 2012 10:32 AM
Jul 8, 2012 9:47 AM

Feb 2010
Yea I agree with some of what people mentioned here.. I prefer if the series is completed, but I only wait for the ones that I expect to be good.

I sometimes watch some ongoing series that have no linear plot. Aka random anime like (Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou). Anime that has little to no development.. always taking it one episode at a time.
Jul 8, 2012 9:53 AM

Aug 2011
I prefer currently airing series, gives me something to do when I'm at home during the week considering I hate most of what's on Australian TV, plus I love good cliffhangers, can't get enough of them.

Yvese said:
Currently airing anime can be a pain since it's weekly. It's easy to forget most of what happened in the previous weeks ep especially if you watch more than 5 currently airing anime at a time.

I'm consistently watching 10 or more currently airing anime per season, and I've never had this problem.
Jul 8, 2012 9:58 AM
Sep 2010
I prefer watching on-going anime, that way I get it out the way, and I'm ready to watch the next season shows when they are released.
Jul 8, 2012 10:03 AM
May 2012
completed anime series are just for marathons..

ongoing anime series add thrill and excitement to crave for the next episode..

yeah mitch is right.. try watching 10+ anime series per season..
Jul 8, 2012 10:18 AM

Dec 2011
FauxAzn said:
Once a week for a series that's actually good... that's murder for me. I don't even want to think about how I'd be if I had to endure something as addictive as Ippo or Death Note that way. Nope, I'll probably never watch a "Currently Airing". I don't know how you guys do it... freaking patient gurus.

Besides, the bonus of waiting is the possibility of better fansubbers picking it up versus the speedsubs you normally get. Slap on some Bluray quality too if you wait long enough.

If you watched Toonami as a kid, you're are pretty much used to waiting for new eps weekly.

360justin said:
I prefer watching on-going anime, that way I get it out the way, and I'm ready to watch the next season shows when they are released.

Agreed. Endless cycle of finishing and starting new animes.
Jul 8, 2012 10:24 AM

Jul 2012
I usually get left behind on the ongoing series, so I prefer completed.
Jul 8, 2012 10:29 AM

Feb 2012
mitch3315 said:
I prefer currently airing series, gives me something to do when I'm at home during the week considering I hate most of what's on Australian TV, plus I love good cliffhangers, can't get enough of them.

Yvese said:
Currently airing anime can be a pain since it's weekly. It's easy to forget most of what happened in the previous weeks ep especially if you watch more than 5 currently airing anime at a time.

I'm consistently watching 10 or more currently airing anime per season, and I've never had this problem.
Must be me then :P

I'm already watching 10+ this season as well. Add in all the completed series I watch inbetween and I sometimes forget stuff that happened in the previous weeks ep. I guess I should have phrased what I said better.
YveseJul 8, 2012 10:33 AM
Jul 8, 2012 11:31 AM

Apr 2010
For me, watching a anime while it airs is so much better! I actually like having a limit on how many episodes I can watch. A new episode a week? Yes. I enjoy that. Mainly cause I like to watch a lot of Anime. Now, if the Anime series is extremely good and I'm dieing to see the next episode like something mainstream. Such as Fairy Tail. I want the episodes now! Lol. Completed Anime, that holds up to 26 or 24 episodes is simply to much for me. I find a lot of anime is good.. but could be better. So it disappoints me. I usually end up dropping completed anime series unless its really good and I enjoy it. I myself haven't found the complete solution on how I like to view anime and stuff. I guess its just simply having interest then losing it. Great discussion.
Jul 8, 2012 11:55 AM

Apr 2008
I don't like waiting, I would rather wait for a currently airing series to be finished so I can watch one episode after another; instead of having to wait for another episode to come out. Or if it's a series I really like that's airing, I will wait for a while until at least a few episodes are out and then watch it.
Jul 8, 2012 12:03 PM

Oct 2011
I'd have to choose airing.
Airing anime just have this charm/suspense that completed anime don't have. Maybe because you, and largely everyone else, doesn't know what will happen in the next episode, whether it'll be good or bad, etc, etc. Of course, you need a great amount of patience for the good ones, but hey - Patience is a virtue after all.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2012 12:23 PM

Jun 2012
I cant watch an airing series, i must watch every episode back to back, the anticipation would kill me.
Jul 8, 2012 12:25 PM

Jun 2009
I only watch completed series. However, if it is towards the end of its ongoing season then I will probably start it. Chances are by the time I get to the episodes that are coming out they will be finished.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Jul 8, 2012 12:33 PM

Aug 2010
I like watching currently airing series. Before each episode I usually remind myself what happened the previous week in order to fully understand the latest episode. I find it more exciting and I like having a structure to watching my anime. That is why I only watch one completed series at time so I can keep everything straight. Of course, if it hasn't been subbed then I'll wait like PRAD.
Jul 8, 2012 12:36 PM

Jun 2012
Mostly completed, though i usually watch 3 or 4 on-going series.
"El Baile de la muerte"
Jul 8, 2012 1:13 PM

Feb 2012
I like watching both. I always watch ongoing anime first, then, once I'm caught up, I watch completed anime. Ongoing anime gives me something to get excited about each week, and it's so easy to watch one episode a week. I do need to have some long series to infrequently marathon, however.

"In both love and octopus-hunting, you have to take the initiative!" - Gintoki Sakata
Jul 8, 2012 1:19 PM

May 2012
Completed! The anime has to be really important to me i'f i'm going to follow it while it's currently running.
Jul 8, 2012 1:26 PM

Jun 2012
I enjoy both just as much, i mean i like not having to wait while watching a completed series but i find that a currently airing series is good as i like to discuss the possibilities of whats going to happen or have a go at answering questions myself.

Having said that the only ongoing thing i am watching is fairy tail and SAO, but i enjoy the guessing and having something to look forward to i guess
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Jul 8, 2012 1:44 PM
Jun 2012
I like completed because I can never stick with a series until the season has finished for anything. So I like to watch it completed so i can watch it all and not lose interest or forget what has happened previously.
Jul 8, 2012 1:57 PM

May 2009
I prefer to watch completed anime because Hiiro no Kakera is apparently getting a second season and I hate waiting.

I think I have gotten lucky though because all the anime I have seen has been completed only because I did not like it at first and thus never watched it and by the time I chose to watch it it is completed and the fan base is either still talking about it so the fad has passed.
Jul 8, 2012 2:40 PM
Jan 2011
I prefer to watch an anime when it's completed.
Jul 8, 2012 2:50 PM

Jun 2008
I prefer completed anime, but i also watch on-going ones.
Some, i just wanted to watch so badly that it was hard to wait until they were completed x]
Some are ok to watch week by week.

There's a reason why i don't rush One Piece. I've been watching it since 09, but i save episodes and watch a few at a time, and then wait weeks until i watch more. Because i don't want to get to the part were i have to wait for each episodes ; u ;
But, i'm pretty sure that i will get to that point one day. Maybe soon.

But yeah, completed > ongoing
Jul 8, 2012 2:53 PM

Nov 2011
Airing. It gives me something to watch and be excited for every week.
When I watch a completed series I literally just marathon through it and by the end I'll be bored with nothing to watch. So on-going constantly keep me entertained with weekly episodes where completed help keep me entertained while waiting for the next on-going episode for a series to be released.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Jul 8, 2012 3:04 PM

Feb 2012
I'd rather watch a completed series, unless it's a big ongoing Shounen (Naruto, Fairy Tail)

I don't like to wait, I guess. :/
Jul 8, 2012 3:05 PM

Jul 2010
i prefer to watch completed anime. it gives me time to watch shows that i wouldn't get to watch if i watched the other anime as they air.

Jul 8, 2012 6:06 PM
Jan 2012
If I'm going to watch an ongoing anime I'm gonna watch it but when I get to the final episode I'm going to stop watching it until more episodes release so I don't have to put up with the insane suspense.
For example, I was watching One Piece and I finished it way faster than the average person (lol..) and now I've stopped watching it and it's about 32 episodes further so I can start watching it whenever I want happily. :3

If I had to decide which I like to watch better I'd have to say ongoing, only for the reason that when I finish the episodes I don't get the same intense sadness as finishing an already complete anime because I know more episodes are going to release and it's not over. :)
Jul 8, 2012 7:19 PM

Jun 2011
I much rather watch a completed series. I cannot stand the wait for an episode each week, it's just plain torture >-< Also my memory can get pretty useless sometimes and I would blank on what happened the week before on an episode since I have to wait and maybe find something else to preoccupy my time. I try to avoid watching currently airing series till its complete, but if I absolutely must watch it, I'll let more than one episode be available to my viewing leisure :3
Jul 8, 2012 7:39 PM

Feb 2012
grandy_UiD said:
Also following a dozen shows at the same time kinda makes things confusing...
I'll have to partly agree with you on that, lol. I've only recently began watching currently airing Anime, and sometimes i forget what happened in certain series because i have a lot i'm watching and i tend to get detached sometimes.

I still like watching currently airing though simply because i can just get it out of the way. Plus, the better series stand out. Whereas if i'm watching 1 Anime in a marathon, i'm only focusing on that one and end up thinking it's the best thing ever simply because my mind is set on that one series. I won't notice if i enjoyed it or not as much as i would if i had something to compare it to.

Plus, since i watch a lot of Anime online, i couldn't take sitting in a chair for 6 hours to marathon 1 series. I like to have variety, and having multiple series to watch once a week gives me a schedule i can follow. Sure, i could watch multiple series in a single marathon, but since it's summer and i don't really have much to do, that would still leave me sitting in a chair for 6 hours, whereas i could watch Anime for 1 depending on how many series have been updated that day and get off simply because there's nothing on. Go draw, read, etc. If not i can just go and watch some series on my PTW list.

It's great to have it all there so you don't have to wait, but sometimes the anticipation is what's needed for a series. Other times it doesn't really matter. For instance if it's a long series... I couldn't stand more than 24 episodes a week for 1 series. I would much rather just watch something as long as that or longer in one go from a DVD.

I usually have a good mixture of them. My library supplies the DVDs and i can watch the recent ones online. I can do both, but on-going has this charm i can't deny i enjoy when it comes to certain series.
VyudaliJul 8, 2012 7:45 PM
Jul 8, 2012 7:51 PM

Oct 2008
It doesn't matter to me I watch both kinds. I can have the same enjoyment watching an on-going anime as a completed one.

And waiting for anime to complete would be torture if you want to watch some of the long running anime like one piece, fairy tail, or even toriko because you could be waiting years for them to be completed.
Jul 8, 2012 8:37 PM

Jun 2012
For me I prefer on-going ones, completed gets boring because it makes you wanting more but the seires is over and I’m usually disappointed with the ending but with ongoing you get the excitement of what’s gonna happen in next week’s episode!
Jul 8, 2012 8:42 PM

Mar 2012
I kind of prefer on-going series because it sets a nice pace for watching it instead of rushing through the entires series. Plus, when you're watching an on-going series, you get to discuss what happens every week with others.
やがて気づく本当の気持ちは
そして 人間が大好きでした
Jul 8, 2012 9:24 PM

Oct 2009
I like watching completed anime much better. On-going anime are fun to watch, but I really like to know how many episodes of it I'm in for if I'm going to pick up an on-going series.^^'
Jul 8, 2012 9:34 PM

Jun 2012
i prefer to watch completed anime simply for the convenience, that way i dont have to wait a week or more for each ep. it does make it annoying though when im introduced to an anime that is on going and hooks me onto it, always want to start it but i figure if i wait i can get the whole series and not feel confused for a week

Jul 8, 2012 10:17 PM

Jun 2010
360justin said:

I agree with this.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

64 by CosmicDebris-San »»
8 minutes ago

» Has anime made you erotophobic?

LenRea - Yesterday

13 by LostSpectre »»
21 minutes ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 11 hours ago

34 by Spunkert »»
25 minutes ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - Yesterday

32 by Abomination_suah »»
31 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - Yesterday

22 by Cestlavie_ »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.