Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Black Butler
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Oct 9, 2008 3:15 PM

Apr 2007
I think the start was pretty good. xD I had high expectations and I wasn't disappointed. (: So that's a good start.

Oct 9, 2008 8:48 PM

Jan 2008
This looks promising. I didn't expect much comedy from this though.

Hehehe. Sebastian reminds me of Yoite from Nabari no Ou but I can't really dig the hairstyle for a "butler".

I like the ED as can be expected from BECCA.
Oct 10, 2008 8:15 AM

Jul 2008
^_^ Ciel reminds me of little Lavi from D.Grey-man.
Oct 10, 2008 1:36 PM

Feb 2008
This was rather boring but since people here have some made some nice comments about the manga being good and such I'll try to stick with it. So far the only interesting thing is the butler, which I guess is sort of the point :)
kuroshiroiOct 11, 2008 7:58 AM
Oct 11, 2008 7:29 AM

Mar 2008
nice episode. I'll continue to watch this!
~Friendship is so sweet that it can cause tooth decay~

~Respect the losers, cause without them, there'll be no winners~
Oct 11, 2008 5:30 PM

Apr 2007
Not rlly intresting...they tried to make it creepy but when that guy broke his leg and got in an life size oven i wasnt feeling any creepy vibes...

Didnt feel like watching ep 2 so gonna delete this one...

Oct 11, 2008 11:23 PM

Sep 2008
this episode was rather boring, but the next will have more action...
Oct 12, 2008 6:43 AM

Jun 2008
nothing much to say about the first episode anyway it was decent
Oct 12, 2008 12:00 PM

May 2008
I'm already in love with this anime^^
Oct 12, 2008 12:25 PM

Jul 2008
I was REALLY disappointed with the plot change. I liked the manga so much better, Sebastian was quite a bit different in it. D=
The art was very well done though, the ed and op are both awesome, its still worth watching and its definetely one of the shows that will make my favorites.

hibana said:
This episode is pure win.

Chibi Sebastian is absolutely adorable. And Ono Daisuke is always awesome, period.

i soooo agree =3

Oct 12, 2008 12:40 PM

Mar 2008
Yeah, I liked the start of this anime, the OP/END was good and the character was pure win. I think this will come to be a really great anime. Will continue with!

And, I want Bard as my chef. And I want his flamethrowers.

"One day, we'll set out to sea! And live our lives the way we want!!" - Ace to Luffy, both chasers of dreams
Oct 14, 2008 3:16 PM

Jan 2008
AMAZING AND EPIC. Really great anime, spectacular in all aspects.

Animation: amazing, definitively A1 PICTURES was awesome.
Music: OH GOD, the BEST part of this series is the music composed by Taku Iwasaki, REALLY FUCKING AWESOME.
Characters: Normal, but... very interesting yes ^^.
Enjoyment: spectacular, drama, comedy, supernatural, mystery, horror in an only ONE episode, amazing :3.
Story, I hope that this anime have a NICE story, I think that yes this anime will be an masterpiece.
Oct 14, 2008 3:59 PM

Aug 2008
I think that this anime will be interesting to watch. Really though I'm not going to expect too much seeing how its nothing really new. I hope they play it off alright and that its enjoyable to watch, which so far it is. Can't wait for the next episode.
Oct 15, 2008 1:26 PM

Oct 2008
It was a good episode and the series looks promising. I think there will be more action and psychopathic personality patterns in the next episodes.

And I love Sebestian already. xD (That "Sebestian" name made me laugh when I first heard of it. So common~) If I don't be too lazy about it, I'll begin to the manga. It looks interesting. ^^
Oct 18, 2008 9:03 PM

Apr 2007
interesting first episode.

I loved the chibi ending too :3
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Oct 19, 2008 10:31 AM

Jun 2008
I really don't know what to think of the first episode.. and I can't give it a rating right now which is like the first time ever. >.> This was far from what I was thinking how the anime was going to be lol. Also I wonder is this anime yaoi? O.o
HEY!
Oct 19, 2008 4:15 PM

Jun 2008
-_- for the 100th time, Kuroshitsuji IS NOT YAOI.
or do you expect young master and his butler to like not communicate at all, and maybe stay in different ends of the house at all times? this may be a surprise for some of you, but not every anime with two male leads is yaoi >_>

guys, this is getting annoying.
Oct 20, 2008 11:40 PM

Jul 2008
I thought this was a pretty interesting episode. I was a little creeped out at some points and I got a few chuckles as well. I'm kind of interested to see what it's really about. Although I don't see the point of having the maid and chef when they're clumsy and the butler's doing all the work and fixing their messes, but I guess thats where the comedic aspect comes from.
Oct 21, 2008 4:43 AM

Jun 2008
My first encounter with this anime was when I randomly saw the OP. That's when I thought: "Oh, lookit, it's Haji." And then I saw the anime and was like: "Haruhi??" o.0

First 33 seconds I thought it was going to be great. "I struck gold!" I said to myself amazed. The religious references got me thinking it was giong to go that path. .... But then I saw the servants.

This.... is a weird show. It leaves me with no impression. I do not hate it, but I don't madly love it either. But man I thought he was going to cook him. I'm a little gealous of Meilin now.

Why does the cook look like he's about to fly? o.0

Oct 23, 2008 7:16 AM

Jan 2008
Kya that was awesome! the animation is breathe taking and the table cloth part >.< so awesome! cna't wait for the next eps subbed!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 27, 2008 10:14 AM

Mar 2008
an interesting mix of horror and comedy "^_^ I'm not entirely sure how this works but it somehow just does. Loved the soundtrack, seiyu and the animation (though sometimes Ciel was a little squiffy) though a little confused about the storyline xD Anyways, am looking forward to the next ep, looks like it will make a little more sense than the first x3

though man, that was one creepy board game x3
Nov 17, 2008 12:00 PM

May 2007
Probably not gonna watch this. The char desings look like the every other yaoi anime/manga. Still, loved chibi Sebastian. Also, it's nice to find a topic NOT made by angel999.
DaBigDNov 19, 2008 4:32 AM
Nov 27, 2008 5:49 PM

Jan 2008
After finally getting around to watch the first episode - I can say that I'm thoroughly pleased!
Ciel Phantomhive is an interesting character - along with his 'demon' butler Sebastian. However, I loved the fact that in order to compensate for Sebastion's greatness - the three other characters are comic relief. Haha, I really enjoyed them. The episode in general was incredibly interesting - the tone and atmosphere was great and everything was unique.

My favorite part was probably the ending - the chibi Sebastian slide ^_^
Can't wait for more :)

Amazing sig set thanks to -DraGonZ-
Dec 20, 2008 10:13 AM

Jun 2008
I have a feeling I'm going to love this series! I am starting a bit late, I never do like watching more than 5 anime a time, but from all the images dedicated to this show is just too hard to resist anymore.

I really like Sebastian, he is perfect <3 & his chibi self is too cute to be true. Ciel looks adorable, can't wait to learn more about him and the story in general. Oh my goodness I thought they were eating the man in the end, dun dun dun. It has a nice spooky atmosphere that I love too. The next episode looks good, I see Sebastion in action! Yayy! I love this butler!
Feb 8, 2009 7:38 AM
Aug 2008
Konayuki_Winter said:
If they cooked him in the over, why did you see him running away in the forest O.o It didn't look like he died to me lol.

That bothered me quite a bit. If the show were more focused on ghosts, then it would have been a ghost running away after the physical body died.

However, I think we're supposed to guess that the guy got tortured just a little bit, and that he was released while still able to run.
Feb 8, 2009 5:16 PM
Aug 2008
Kineta said:

And why is it always an issue when two guys have a deeper relationship than huffawing together while playing video games and having pissing contests?

Fiction about cultural norms is an issue because any given culture can only accommodate a given range of culturally acceptable behaviors. If Athenian homoerotic culture is the norm, then Spartan homoeroticism, which had a very different set of ethics, must be forbidden, and vice versa. If medieval Christian culture is the norm, then homosexual acts must be defined as sins, not the ground for an identity. If modern legal culture is the norm, then homosexuality is an identity bestowing particular rights, and not dependent on actual homosexual acts.

Furthermore, even if the audience is composed of homosexual men, it is in their interest to demand a realistic depiction of homosexuality. Ultra-perfect bishonen gay fiction oppresses real-life gay men by holding them to an impossible standard.

Further, if the audience consists of heterosexual men, their ability to form homosocial relationships depends on a freedom from homosexual tension. The zero-sum game between homosexual and homosocial cultural norms has been noted by many historians, but if you want an in-depth essay perhaps I should start a different thread.
Mar 16, 2009 12:54 PM

Aug 2008
Hmm pretty hardcore imagination ^^ CG parts looks really weird.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Apr 23, 2009 9:50 PM

May 2008
Woah, that was freaky.:O

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Apr 23, 2009 9:52 PM

Jun 2008
MAMA MIA

I lol'd
Jun 8, 2009 12:45 PM

Aug 2008
Pretty cool first episode. I really like Sebastian! XD

Jun 13, 2009 2:10 PM

Apr 2009
'Tanaka...you are fine just as you are.
Hoh... hoh... hoh' - XDDD

Sebastian = win. But I don't really like Ciel as for now.

Can't wait to see more o.o
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Aug 27, 2009 5:41 PM

Apr 2009
Pfft. So what have we here? An angsty annoying little kid, his buttler that likes to bake people in their his oven (gingerbread house?), and I see some majorly traumatizing stuff comin' in the future. Bleh.

Ciel is like Artemis Fowl, but dumber x100. I can't find anything to sympathize with, except for the maid.
MAL Book Club join if you like reading

Nov 19, 2009 5:12 PM

Jan 2009
Holy freaking crap! Everything about this episode was freaking beautiful. O_o

That and Sebastian is one slick bastard!
Dec 14, 2009 9:52 AM

Apr 2009
Loved it! And Sebastian is already my favorite character of the series!

Got a bit freaked out at a few spots, but loved it all the same. Not sure what the actual story is, but I guess I'll just find out by watching more. But the way this episode went and what the preview showed, I think it's going to be something a bit like Jigoku Shoujo? Anyways, I'll keep watching an find out.
Jan 13, 2010 3:23 PM

Aug 2009
Pretty good so far, Sebastian <3
Jan 22, 2010 9:28 PM

Aug 2009
Oh my, this episode is lovely. I already love Sebastian. He's freaking awesome, although I'm wondering where did he come from. What was that flashback in the beginning? Phantom Hive's Butler is damn good alright.

Also, how did Sebastian pull the table cloth without messing up the stuffs on the top of the table?! Damn, he's the devil butler alright. I also love his eyes. Devilish red, oh myy.

That italian guy got pwned badly. I didn't expect him to take advantage of Ciel. Too bad for him Ciel is freaking intelligent and has a devil butler, lmao. Also, I think of Ciel as a spoiled brat. I don't like him but he's really cool. I have mixed emotions for him, lol.
Feb 15, 2010 8:22 PM
Feb 2010
I read the first 4 chapters of the manga before watching this. Since I've only read the American version and have not laid eyes on the original, I don't know whether it was censored or not. The reason why I decided to continue with this series, was the Ciel/Sebastian dynamic-with its mixture of distain and "affection" (that is: if someone can have affection for their food-in Sebastian's case). This episode roughly matches chapter 1 of the manga. I love how this anime preserved the charmingly anal details of the manga (from the beautifully detailed tea sets to the delicious-looking "Dessert of the Day"...and my personal favorite: Tanaka "ho ho ho-ing" in the background.)

I actually think this episode is better than chapter 1. First of all, it's more dark. Chapter 1 of the manga is more comedic in tone. (In the manga, the Italian guy also has a different name and looks like a "silver fox.") Secondly, the manga also doesn't have the board game and the parallel "punishment" for crimes against Ciel. The board game is actually what makes this episode superior to chapter 1. (I really enjoyed all the "life is a game" symbolism throughout this anime.) I loved how cold and sinister Ciel was during the board game, and the episode opening with all the white feathers turning black was really fantastic. My inner goth swooned.

This series has quality production... because the "devil" really is in the details. I liked how Sebastian's a ringer for Phantomhive Sr. and the "intermission" slides are a charming detail. The Ophelia reference in the opening titles is notable as well. And, oh yeah..the chibi slideshow in the end credits is really cute.

The only thing that really bugged me about the episode was the fact that Mr. Damian was alive and running away at the end.

Edit: Actually, this episode doesn't really make sense. Why would they go thru all that trouble to impress someone who betrayed The Funtom Company?
blindassassinFeb 15, 2010 9:23 PM
Mar 8, 2010 12:33 AM

Jan 2010
blindassassin said:

Edit: Actually, this episode doesn't really make sense. Why would they go thru all that trouble to impress someone who betrayed The Funtom Company?

This was what confused me the most. That and the fact that they didn't actually kill him by the end. Won't the Italian guy like... tell the police or something about this? Oh well.

Kind of an odd first episode... On one hand I find the butler rather cool, and there was a lot of funny moments. But what the heck is the series even about? It didn't really establish what kind of story this was going to be. It felt like a slice-of-life show... but with a dark, twisted backdrop.

The three bumbling servants were great. For some reason the gardener cracks me up just looking at him. But the young master wiith the eyepatch... I don't know, but he just didn't seem very likable at all. He didn't seem kind to his servants at all, even Sebastian, and just went the whole episode with a stick up his butt or something. He either needs to start doing some awesome stuff, or some more characterization to flesh him out somehow. At the very least he seems like he could be a "chessmaster" type character, which could potentially be cool if his strategic planning and such turns out impressive.

I'll keep watching and hope for the best.
Mar 22, 2010 11:43 AM

Aug 2009
Cholisose said:
blindassassin said:

This was what confused me the most. That and the fact that they didn't actually kill him by the end. Won't the Italian guy like... tell the police or something about this? Oh well.

ah my thoughts too... i mean it would have been very very gross for me if Sebastian let the guy burn.. but being honest this turnout would be more intense than the real one which made it a little less impressive.. i thought it would be like another Sweeny Todd or sth but it was softer afterall! :P
Still this is one of the best ever first episodes in an anime from what i have watched so far!! It kept me wanting for more and more! Loved it to the smallest bits! <3
JusticeUndoneMar 22, 2010 11:58 AM
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.”Akira Kurosawa
Apr 10, 2010 7:31 AM

Oct 2008
First episode, and already in love with Sebastian.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Apr 17, 2010 7:02 PM

Oct 2009
I've been reading the manga, and decided to watch the anime to see if it was as good as all my friends say it is. And, it is! =)
The ending theme was really cute ^^
Apr 18, 2010 5:51 PM

Oct 2009
Sebastian's cool, all right. I don't get what happened with Ciel at the very beginning of the episode, but I'm sure the series will have something to do with why the mansion is haunted and what happened to Ciel's parents. Sebastian and the young master are obviously being paired up by bishounen and boys' love fans everywhere. I really like the voice of the maid.

I was certain that Sebastian let Mr. Damian burn in the oven until I saw him hobbling away... that made me smile. I think the point of showing how eager the Phantomhive household was to impress their guest was to grant Ciel and Sebastian an opportunity to show him what happens when you mess with them as well as to provide a cover of hospitality for the servants who weren't in on the plot.
Jun 27, 2010 10:50 AM

May 2008
It was an average episode but I think I'll keep watching to see what's in store
Jun 29, 2010 2:40 AM

Jul 2007
wow, been waiting for something like this.. it looks promising and gonna keep it in my watch list :D
Jul 3, 2010 12:26 PM
Mar 2010
Nice start of the serie ;D
Jul 15, 2010 12:04 AM

Dec 2009
Anitnelav said:
First episode, and already in love with Sebastian.

I'm going to love this~!
Aug 8, 2010 11:34 AM

Dec 2008
strange setting but interesting

The Ending Theme is awesome, is that the front girl from evenescense?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 10, 2010 5:21 PM

May 2010
comedy + action is a plus for me.. this is interesting..
StormViruzAug 11, 2010 8:33 AM
Aug 10, 2010 8:52 PM

Sep 2009
StormViruz said:
^
looks like the ED is avril lavigne's voice??

comedy + action is a plus for me.. this is interesting..

No, her name is BECCA. From what I understand, she is American lives and works in Japan as a singer.
Aug 11, 2010 8:32 AM

May 2010
My bad.. I'm not good with distinguishing voices.. :/
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Jan 25, 2009

98 by Sun_Chan »»
May 5, 2:55 AM

Poll: » Favorite Servant?

RuuryMercury - Jun 24, 2015

4 by Sun_Chan »»
May 5, 2:34 AM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Jan 17, 2009

85 by Sun_Chan »»
May 5, 2:27 AM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Jan 9, 2009

70 by Sun_Chan »»
May 5, 2:04 AM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Nov 23, 2008

115 by Sun_Chan »»
May 4, 11:56 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.