Forum Settings
Forums

What anime would you like to see added to the Toonami lineup in the future?

New
May 28, 2012 8:55 AM
Aug 2011
As of right now I think Mirai Nikki would be a pretty good fit and would love to see it again and see what it would be like dubbed.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 28, 2012 9:33 AM

Jul 2011
I think either Mirai Nikki or Steins Gate and my life would be complete lol. I believe they are contracted to Funimation so that cuts the list down quite a bit.
May 28, 2012 10:16 AM
Aug 2011
I was about to say I thought it was Funimation and Bandai that made up all of the current Toonami titles and as far as I know they also have the license to release Mirai Nikki in the US so its not too far fetched an idea. I don't hate Funimation though, ADV used to be my favorite because it seemed like they had all the great franchises but that shifted of course when they went out of business now Funimation has most of the shows I like.
May 29, 2012 3:39 PM

Apr 2012
I'd definitely like to see these shows end up on the lineup sometime in the future.

Gun X Sword
Linebarrels of Iron
Trigun
Darker than Black
Angel Beats
Devil May Cry: The Animated Series
Gungrave
Corpse Princess
Murder Princess

Funimation Entertainment is providing the shows, and with the exception of Angel Beats, all of these shows are dubbed by Funimation. Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised nor disappointed to see these on Toonami. Although, in the case of Devil May Cry, [AS] might also have to have a little chat with Capcom before airing it.
May 31, 2012 10:32 AM

Jul 2011
Now that I think about it most of Toonami's shows are and have always been a bunch of action animes. I wouldn't mind seeing a Romance anime on Toonami for once.
Jun 1, 2012 4:27 PM
Jul 2011
i would like to see some kinda gundam series up there like back in the day with a little last exile, ao no exorcist, so many shows can be up there... BRING BACK BIG O
Jun 2, 2012 2:47 PM

Apr 2012
aceofwar20 said:
Now that I think about it most of Toonami's shows are and have always been a bunch of action animes. I wouldn't mind seeing a Romance anime on Toonami for once.

Toonami was, and still is, an action animation block. I'm not against romance, but unless it also involves action, putting romance anime on Toonami would be pretty nonsensical, to say the least.

Besides, Toonami over in Latin America aired Love Hina (nothing against Love Hina, but if you ask me, they must've been getting really desperate for something to air over there), so it wouldn't be the first time that Toonami aired a romance anime.
Jun 2, 2012 11:46 PM

Jun 2012
Wow that's interesting I didn't know about them being restricted to funimation and bandai. I dont keep track of company's so forgive me if i say something that would never happen =P

First I think they need to play every old show Toonami did back in the day. Not all at once but slowly over time. Except DBZ it should stay at rest and Naruto .... I personally hate it -_- but everything else pretty much would be amazing. i could even picture them playing samurai jack again at least once threw.

I would love for them to show all the Gundam series. starting with the original and moving up. It would be a dream to have Toonami get big again and start getting some pull. Then working something out to get more Gundam series that haven't been shown over here before like z Gundam zz Gundam and Gundam unicorn would be amazing.

Also it would be nice if they played some old adult swim shows they haven't showed in a long time. Such as Trigun and I would love to see Yu Yu hakusho again!

BatCountry9000 I agree I think it would be cool if they got Gungrave! But I have to disagree somewhere else. You are right about Toonami always being an action block but I feel like they should evolve and stop restricting them selves. I'm with aceofwar20 I wouldn't mind seeing different genres like romance maybe or horror.
Jun 3, 2012 12:32 PM

Apr 2012
Grandsteam said:
BatCountry9000 I agree I think it would be cool if they got Gungrave! But I have to disagree somewhere else. You are right about Toonami always being an action block but I feel like they should evolve and stop restricting them selves. I'm with aceofwar20 I wouldn't mind seeing different genres like romance maybe or horror.

Well, we pretty much already have horror with Deadman Wonderland currently on the lineup, but at least that has a healthy dose of action. Airing an anime of a different genre like romance or comedy pretty much destroys the point of Toonami being an action block.

Let me put it like this. Let's say that a guy takes a glass and declares "This glass is for alcoholic beverages only. No other drinks can be poured into it." But then, later on, he and his friends decide "What the hell? Why not pour some soda in?" The point of the glass being for alcoholic drinks only is pretty much moot once that happens.

Besides, there's also the demographic they're aiming at, and they're aiming at people who enjoy action anime. I'm pretty sure that people who watch Toonami won't tune in to watch shows like Hetalia and School Rumble (both of which you can easily find on Netflix, if you have it).
Jun 4, 2012 4:48 AM

Jun 2012
I understand your point. But mine is they have no reason not to pour non alcoholic drinks into the glass. To say its only for alcohol is there on guideline there is nothing physically stopping them other than themselves.

Also I just finished watching Afro Samurai and realized it was done or put out by Funimation. Think theirs any possibility toonami could show it even though it aired on spike ?
Jun 4, 2012 3:37 PM

Jul 2011
I think Funimation is planning on airing the new series that they just bought licenses to like Deadman Wonderland, Steins Gate, Baka to Test, etc. I wouldn't rule anything out though they'll probably air the new licensed stuff after they finish airing Deadman to take its place on the line up. Hopefully they'll drop Cowboy bebop because most people have already seen it and its been around forever.

On the matter of whether or not to air a different genre, I feel that they need to branch out a little.
This is a new Toonami and limiting what it can air isn't right, but it would not be wise to do it now because they can't screw up with the low budget right now and a new genre would be an unnecessary risk. Worrying about Toonami's image shouldn't matter it should be about what works and what doesn't.
aceofwar20Jun 4, 2012 3:46 PM
Jun 8, 2012 1:44 PM

Jun 2012
aceofwar20 said:
I think Funimation is planning on airing the new series that they just bought licenses to like Deadman Wonderland, Steins Gate, Baka to Test, etc. I wouldn't rule anything out though they'll probably air the new licensed stuff after they finish airing Deadman to take its place on the line up. Hopefully they'll drop Cowboy bebop because most people have already seen it and its been around forever.

On the matter of whether or not to air a different genre, I feel that they need to branch out a little.
This is a new Toonami and limiting what it can air isn't right, but it would not be wise to do it now because they can't screw up with the low budget right now and a new genre would be an unnecessary risk. Worrying about Toonami's image shouldn't matter it should be about what works and what doesn't.

Insightful. I agree I think they should drop cowboy bebop and Ghost in the shell. Maybe even Fullmetal alchemist. since they have been replaying it constantly since adult swim started showing it. But they defiantly wont show all new shows they will stretch them out as much as possible. then maybe if we get lucky when Toonami starts getting a little bit more attention they will do shows they haven't shown in a long time such as trigun or outlaw star.

Thank you!! that's what I have been trying to say. Toonami doesn't have to worry about its image and it should branch out I think. But you are completely right saying now is not the right time. That's obviously not what I meant but I'm glad you said it.
Jul 8, 2012 3:07 AM

Apr 2012
While I do understand the whole "branching out" thing, Toonami has already done that in the past with shows like Hamtaro, The Prince of Tennis, Eyeshield 21, and...... *sigh* Wulin Warriors (seriously, I don't have anything against puppets or that show, but whose bright idea was it to air it on Toonami?).

Also, remember when Kids' WB had a Toonami block on their own? They definitely "branched out" with non-action shows like The Nightmare Room, Generation O, and Scooby-Doo, didn't they (mind you, I like Scooby-Doo, and even I know that that show should stay far away from Toonami)?

And let's not forget the UK/Ireland Toonami. Didn't they change their focus from action shows to entertainment in general and start airing sitcoms?

Toonami has established itself as an action animation block, which it always was and always will be. As for what works and what doesn't, Toonami has proven that action works, so airing action shows would be fine, no? And if Kids' WB Toonami has taught us anything, it's that advertising yourself as an action block and then airing something that has no action at all doesn't work (it's like if a movie was advertised as a "quirky new black comedy", when in reality, it was actually a drama movie.

Anyways, here's some more anime shows that I'd like to see on the lineup sometime.

El Cazador de la Bruja
Fist of the North Star
Gatchaman
Noir
Soul Eater
Street Fighter II V
Jul 8, 2012 2:16 PM

Dec 2007
Megas XLR

It's not anime, but it's classic Toonami, pretty much being developed for the block. It's also just a damn good show on it's own and a ton of people would remember it with love. If Toonami can get that, perhaps air it right before Bleach, that would be a big win for the block.
Jul 8, 2012 5:20 PM

Jul 2011
I'm glad that someone remembers Megas XLR, that was probably the only mecha show I could get in to. Megas XLR may have not been anime but it was one of my favorite american cartoons.
Jul 8, 2012 6:42 PM

Jun 2012
I personally never liked megas xlr BUT I think outlaws idea is brilliant !! show xlr before bleach would scutch the block up just a bit. it would also give a bit of the old school taste.I think another series kinda in the same category not anime but well remembered is Samurai jack!!

I loved that show samurai jack. and Toonami did show it technically at one point.
Jul 8, 2012 8:51 PM

Apr 2012
Ah, Megas XLR... one of my favorite non-Transformers giant robot shows, along with Voltron and Robotech.

Speaking of Transformers, bring back Armada and Cybertron. Those seasons of the Unicron Trilogy were awesome (Energon can get blasted to pieces by Megatron's Fusion Cannon for all I care).

Also, Beast Wars (which aired on Toonami in the past) and Beast Machines would be nice, even if they aren't anime.
Aug 15, 2013 8:18 PM
Aug 2013
I think Gurren Lagann would be a great addition to toonami, It might be a little bit to .........childish? something around their but nonetheless a great addition and
Shin Sekai Yori but i dont think i could handle a dub of that put it on sub!!!
Aug 16, 2013 10:28 PM

Jul 2011
Gurren Lagann imo isn't really that kiddy at all. Also since Toonami got SAO, Gurren Lagann may be a possibility for the future. I don't think Shin Sekai Yori will ever happen on Toonami though. Sentai hasn't made any moves to work with Toonami and also Shin Sekai doesn't really suit Toonami since its more of a horror show instead of an action show.
Aug 17, 2013 5:33 PM
Aug 2013
i dont think gurren is kiddy but on my first watch it was super SHONEN. i know you know what i mean i think i hope. toonami is about action, and i cant ever recall a show with another genre other than action being the main theme (maybe premise is the better word). i'd like to see some diversity but i dont want to change what already works
Aug 18, 2013 5:44 PM

Sep 2011
Gurren is always a possibility and would fit in with the rest of the block. Toonami is certainly a mostly action block, but there are exceptions. Tenchi Muyo GXP is a show that comes to mind when talking about shows that didn't have action as the focus. If you want to go back to the Cartoon Network days, Hamtaro is a good example of a non-action show on Toonami.

I don't think we will be seeing shows with no action in them on Toonami. Luckily, a lot of shows we have seen are a good mix of different genres with action in them.
Aug 19, 2013 3:29 PM
Aug 2013
LOL damn u took it way back with hamtaro that show was the bomb diggity, like rugrats in hamster form
Aug 20, 2013 1:23 PM

Jul 2012
The shows I'd like to see on Toonami would make a very long list. In a perfect world Toonami would be it's own cable channel and would run anime 24/7/365 and none of us would get any sleep ever. =0D
"I just hope the good lord knows, what this life is all about
'cause I'm in the same position as when I started out.
Now I know there's folk in hospitals who are far worse off than me,
Oh, but that don't mean to much when my spirit don't feel free."
- Mark Twain

Blues lovers go here. Jazz lovers go here. Cowboy Bebop music lovers go here.
Aug 20, 2013 1:38 PM

Sep 2011
It would be the 8760 hour challenge, sleep is for the weak hahaha
Aug 22, 2013 6:05 PM

Jul 2012
Girls Un Panzer?
- Mark Twain

Sep 1, 2013 10:35 PM

Nov 2012
Berserk and TTGL.
I made some killer babaganoush... FOR VALHALLA!!!
Sep 1, 2013 10:44 PM

Sep 2011
I would personally really love to see Berserk on Toonami, but for one it has no US license holder atm. And plus its too damn violent for even adult swim lol.

Gurren Lagann is always a possible choice for them!
Sep 15, 2013 12:31 AM

Jul 2012
Gurran Lagann would be good. Another good one would be the Stan Lee collaboration Heroman.
- Mark Twain

Sep 15, 2013 9:11 AM

Sep 2011
Now that one would be a perfect Toonami show, Grin! Too bad it's not licensed in the US at the moment. If it were though I could totally see it on Toonami.
Apr 8, 2014 2:49 PM

Mar 2014
Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040-Late 90s Cyberpunk action series centering around 4 women who battle organic robots called Boomers.

Slayers- A series Toonami was supposed to nab back in 2001 but Fox Kids beat them to it.

The Girl with the Blue Eye- A solid action/adventure series.

Street Fighter II V- A different take on Street Fighter, has lots of martial arts combat.

These shows should not be too expensive for Toonami to license, except for Slayers

SwatKat1990Apr 8, 2014 2:53 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 14, 2014 1:07 PM

Aug 2013
Keep an eye out for Fairy Tail once Bleach is over. Oh I would like to see Kekkaishi get a run on Toonami, or something like Trigun return in the second half of the block to give it a jump start.
Apr 14, 2014 4:03 PM

Sep 2011
I wouldn't guarantee on Fairy Tail replacing Bleach, they may want to get some shorter shows from Viz Media finally. I seriously thought I was the only one that wants to see Kekkaishi back on air. Really enjoyed what I got to see. Wouldn't mind Trigun being shown again either.
Apr 14, 2014 4:49 PM

Aug 2013
Well yeah. No guarantees for Fairy Tail. But if they were going to look for another longer running series with a huge fanbase... I'd like to see something with premieres though. I loved Kekkaishi when it aired. I think it deserves a Toonami airing since it did so well on AS.
Apr 14, 2014 5:07 PM

Sep 2011
Out of the current long running choices for Toonami, I do have to agree Fairy Tail is the best choice if they were to go for another long running show. It's fairly new and definitely not a bad show in the slightest. Now if the new HxH got licensed for US release, I would have to side with that haha.

I watched Kekkaishi on and off, but I loved every moment of what I watched. To my understanding it did really well during it's premiere run, but numbers really dropped during the rerun. I bought the first DVD set not too long ago. Probably should grab the other three eventually so I can marathon it.
Apr 14, 2014 5:19 PM

Aug 2013
I wanted to buy the series as well but aniplex makes it so hard with the price of their sets. And I'd agree with you! HxH would be an awesome series to have. I'd love to see them air a brand new dubbed long running series. It's all contingent on what direction theyd like to go though.
Apr 14, 2014 5:26 PM

Sep 2011
Kekkaishi is a Viz Media property, not Aniplex. Set 1 is on Amazon right now for $9.99, while Sets 2-4 are about $17. Not too bad for a 52 episode series if you ask me.
Apr 14, 2014 6:02 PM

Apr 2014
I'd like to see an "old school" block with shows like Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai Champloo and other shows of the likes.
---------My Profile------------
Apr 14, 2014 6:37 PM

Aug 2013
oh jesus howd i get those 2 confused. jeesh..i feel silly.. thats pretty darn cheap! I'm going to buy it. LOL and I'd like to see the second half of the block to be the old school block. either one of those 3 shows returning would be simply epic.
Apr 15, 2014 4:25 PM

Jul 2011
I wasn't really into Kekkaishi when it was on AS, but I only got to see bits and pieces. If Toonami aired it then I would give it another chance. I wish the rest of D.Gray-man would get dubbed. It would be awesome to see it on Toonami, but the likelihood of that happening is low.

If VIZ put one of their shows in Bleach's slot then I bet it would be Tiger and Bunny. It just feels right.
Apr 15, 2014 10:55 PM

Aug 2013
I've heard great things about D. Gray-man. I actually havent seen it yet... And as for Tiger and Bunny...I think they've said during their Q&A that that was probably a no go when asked but you never know! Idk of any other big Viz series other than Bleach and Inuyasha atm.
Apr 16, 2014 8:51 AM

Sep 2011
There was a podcast on ANN last year that had a interview with some folk at Viz Media. When the topic of T&B being broadcasted came up they said that they had pitched it to multiple networks, one being Adult Swim. However all networks passed on it. They also said they pitch T&B and other shows to networks all the time. Maybe the asking price for the show was too high at the time. Guess time will only tell, but at least we know Viz is constantly pitching the show to networks.

There is also Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan too. It has two seasons with 24 episodes each. 48 episodes is a decent length and they wouldn't have to replace it right away. I think it would be good transition from Bleach too since it's about spirits and things of that nature.
Apr 17, 2014 9:23 AM

Aug 2013
from Toonami's Q&A, they have a ton of shows offered to them from multiple publishers. Just a matter as if the crew thinks the show will fit well or not. Glad to see Viz and others are backing the block so well!
Apr 18, 2014 9:45 PM

Jul 2012
I'm surprised no one has suggested Kill la Kill.
- Mark Twain

Apr 18, 2014 10:53 PM

Aug 2013
They say that's their 3rd most requested show. Behind Attack on Titan, and Fairy Tail. And as you see, they got Titan. Only a matter of time!
Apr 19, 2014 9:42 AM

Sep 2011
I would be so happy if Kill la Kill got announced for Toonami. It's one of my favorites from last year. DBZ, Fairy Tail, Toriko, Kill la Kill, and Gundam are the most requested shows at this time. Maybe Aniplex can have the dub ready for later this year. As long as they don't lose their way, it could probably happen.
Apr 19, 2014 10:29 AM

Jan 2014
I don't know if they have had Steins;Gate before but that would be great. I really liked the dub of that show. Also it would be interesting if they would air a show like Another given the gore factor.

And I also agree with everyone that Kill la Kill would be awesome. Recently finished it and I would love to watch it on TV verses watching it on a laptop again.
thezinnerApr 19, 2014 12:32 PM
Apr 19, 2014 10:55 AM

Aug 2013
Would absolutely love to see Kill La Kill and Steins Gate on the block. Like Kokiri said, when the dub for Kill La Kill comes out, it may happen. Aniplex and Toonami have a pretty good relationship now.
Apr 19, 2014 12:46 PM

Sep 2011
It's not the gore factor that's really preventing them from airing Another, it's the whole situation of Sentai and Adult Swim not doing business. If they can get away with some of the stuff in Deadman Wonderland, Akira, and Black Lagoon, they could probably air Another with minimal edits. There is one death I would question but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it. But unless the Sentai/Adult Swim situation changes then Another is not happening.

I always thought Btooom would be a great show to air on Toonami that's from Sentai. It had a similar feel that Deadman Wonderland had. It was a pretty good show too.
Apr 21, 2014 6:22 PM

Mar 2014
My-Hime project-The My Hime TV series and it's alternate retelling Otome.

Birdy the Mighty Decode- Two seasons, both 13 episodes each.

Noein- A series with DBZ style combat.

Gundam Unicorn- A 7 episode OVA that's about to be finished next month, the rights should be available courtesy of Rightstuf.(It sucks that Toonami can't nab the rights to Gundam 00 because of Bandai Entertainment's closure, 00 would've been an excellent addition to Toonami's library, but Unicorn should suffice.)

Escaflowne- Another series Toonami failed to nab back in 2001, but Fox Kids beat them to it, and Escaflowne was a flop on Fox Kids.

SwatKat1990Apr 22, 2014 6:58 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 22, 2014 5:37 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
SwatKat1990 said:

Birdy the Mighty Decode- Two seasons, both 13 episodes each.

I second this. From the trailers I've seen, Birdy looks great. And would fit the block perfectly.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Create Your Own Toonami Lineup!

Kokiri-Kid - Sep 22, 2013

32 by CyrahOmega »»
Mar 8, 2:04 PM

» Toonami marathons

jonnjonzz - Oct 12, 2017

0 by jonnjonzz »»
Oct 12, 2017 7:27 PM

» How are the ratings?

JetFury - Mar 29, 2015

4 by JetFury »»
Apr 1, 2015 11:52 AM

» Weekly Toonami Episode Guide (2015)

Kokiri-Kid - Jan 1, 2015

9 by Kokiri-Kid »»
Feb 28, 2015 8:37 PM

» Any anime you want on Toonami on 2015?

Bakuformer00 - Jan 19, 2015

3 by GonzoLewd »»
Jan 29, 2015 9:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.