Forum Settings
Forums

For non-japanese:-Have you ever though of learning Japanese so watching Anime would be sooooo much easier?????

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Sep 30, 2008 9:39 PM
Sep 2008
yes,i have.

Actually i have ever studied a Japanese course but at that time i'm not manga lover. At present i 'd like to study again!!!!!!! :D
Go to read manga eiei. www.maniacartoon.com

from manga lover
Sep 30, 2008 9:48 PM

Aug 2008
UsAgI_LoVe said:
sometimes i wish i knew japanese when the subtitles are too fast O_o

Amen to that sister, or when they are speed subbed and theres like a 5 minute long conversation that is subbed as 2 sentences, that is really annoying. I usually just make up what they say if they dont sub in everything, it makes the story interesting
Sep 30, 2008 9:59 PM

Jul 2008
I would love to learn the language :) But subs are okay

Sep 30, 2008 10:00 PM

Jan 2008
I learned some Katakana and understand some words like ''nani'' ^^
I think it would last many years till I understand everything they say in the Animes :)
Oct 1, 2008 4:43 AM

Apr 2008
i started learning just to learn another second language really, but yeh, it would make things easier.

Oct 1, 2008 5:15 AM

Sep 2008
"Obsession with anime/manga goes away in time and so does the language."

Not necessarily. I've liked anime for 11 years now. When people really love something, they make it into a life-long hobby.

I think if you're an anime fan you should learn Japanese. Almost everyone has to learn a foreign language to get into college (at least in the U.S) and unless you have some extreme interest in some other culture, you might as well learn a language you might use and keep up with. Most people that learn languages eventually forget them because of disuse. Watching tv regularly in that language is one way of being exposed to it, and if you're continually exposed to it, you'll be less likely to let it fade away.

Why is that "pathetic"? Most people that like anime have at least a passive interest in Japanese culture.

Learning a language you have no interest in at all is the real "pathetic" thing.
Oct 1, 2008 11:03 AM

Dec 2007
Random Annoying Question of the Day: why people on this board say "omg fast subs" or "omg hard to read subs". Aren't you people used to have subs? Don't you people usually watch anything (besides anime) spoken in any other language besides English?
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Oct 1, 2008 11:26 AM
Sep 2008
Haha yes, i have. I'm learning Japanese at the moment though. Hopefully i'd be able to know as much to the time that i'll fully understand what the characters are saying in Anime episodes which hasn't yet been subbed :D
Oct 1, 2008 1:20 PM

Jul 2008
Yeah I guess. Sometimes when a new anime comes out and there's only the RAW version, I'm always bummed 'cause I don't understand Japanese.

One time I tried watching the Raws without subs, and then like 2 minutes later I was like "WHAT? @_@" XD
Oct 1, 2008 1:55 PM

Oct 2006
That's interesting. I never thought of learning Japanese so I wouldn't need to find subbed versions of anime. Instead, watching anime for so long has made me enjoy the Japanese language and such, so if I do end up learning it seriously at some point watching anime raws will only be a nice bonus.
Oct 3, 2008 7:18 AM

Aug 2008
ladyxzeus said:
Random Annoying Question of the Day: why people on this board say "omg fast subs" or "omg hard to read subs". Aren't you people used to have subs? Don't you people usually watch anything (besides anime) spoken in any other language besides English?

Ahaha~, I don't think they are complaining, they are just thinking "What if we know Japanese so there would be no subtitle problems", if we could get rid of All small problems like this, we would have a perfect life ^^
Oct 3, 2008 10:25 AM

Sep 2008
Well, I've wanted to learn Japanese for a LONG time now, since I was into Japan itself before I was into anime. But yeah, being into it now does increase that want...I'm planning to take classes on it next year actually.
Oct 3, 2008 3:20 PM

Sep 2007
I'm already taking intermediate Japanese classes, but never actually thought about this...
...whoa, maybe I'll be able to watch raws soon. 8D

Thanks for reminding me! XD
Oct 7, 2008 1:07 AM

Sep 2008
If I had to pick a second language it would be Japanese but im far to lazy to do it for the sake of watching anime. Allthough I would like to visit Japan one day.
Oct 7, 2008 3:12 PM

Dec 2007
So my Japanese classes restarted today and, for the first time, I felt like anime helped me. Explaining to others why "ne", "yo" and "jaa" are there was pleasant. Sensei also confirmed my idea that really small children /may/, sometimes, use "desu" in the end of each sentence (Rozen Maiden ftw). Since I watched it I wondered why would she desu everybody with the desu power.

Even thouhg I was overwhelmed by our new classmate, a lady who spent 7 years of her life as missionaire in Japan and, now that she's back to Portugal, decided to join classes to not forget the language.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Oct 7, 2008 3:26 PM

Jun 2008
SweetMonia said:
StackOverflow said:
I have 10 years to learn it... so I have full of time to learn it! ^^ The only good point about understanding RAW animes would be to not wait for a sub group to watch it, mostly for animes which sub groups are bad or very very slow!

Wow, 10 years is a quite long time, I give myself a 6 month of learning before I start my 6-24 month practicing, But 10 years is too long even if you wanna make your Japanese as good as your first language.

Well I'm very lazy so I often start something and never finish it. But I'm giving myself to learn it bit by bit for when I'll decide to travel to Japan. I mean, if I want to stay there at least 1 year, I must understand the language perfectly (or almost ;) )! But of course, I'm currently learning it... I know how to count (and write the numbers) up to 9999 9999 9999 9999 if I remember correctly! XD
It was easy to learn so I went with that at first. Now I'm trying to learn Hiraganas before continuing with verbs. I want to develop my vocabulary at first! ;)
At least, I have a great book to help me!
Oct 7, 2008 7:43 PM

Oct 2008
I am half-Japanese and I know quite a bit of Japanese already (enough to watch anime RAW) but I should probably learn more Japanese
Oct 7, 2008 7:50 PM

Nov 2007
SweetMonia said:

Wow, 10 years is a quite long time, I give myself a 6 month of learning before I start my 6-24 month practicing, But 10 years is too long even if you wanna make your Japanese as good as your first language.

Depends if you're talking mastering written language too. A friend's mother teaches English in Japan; she's been there for like 13 or 14 years now, and she only just recently finished her last kanji certification to be considered 'fluent' -- but that's still not at like native University level Japanese. It takes a very long time to master the writing.

Spoken language can be done to an acceptable degree in a year or two (depending on level of immersion, dedication etc) but still talking a good few more years to be at a native speaking level... and even then you'll have trouble understanding some people, because the Japanese do themselves. Being such an ambiguous language makes it quite difficult and time-consuming.
Oct 7, 2008 8:39 PM

Jan 2008
The Japanese never stop learning Japanese. And they get a head start.
Oct 8, 2008 5:16 AM
Jul 2008
I already study Japanese, and have been at it for a few years now. While anime isn't my primary motivation for doing so, being able to watch raws is certainly a pleasant side effect.
Oct 8, 2008 5:22 AM

May 2008
Don't have free time to learn it
Oct 8, 2008 8:23 AM

Jun 2008
I think that learn japanese has more advantage than just watch anime in an easier way but also to have another language in your ....

volcano00
personal lolicon goddess¡¡
http://www.sambakza.net/peom/tteotta_eng.htm
Oct 8, 2008 9:44 AM

Jun 2008
Learning any new language is a plus. It gives you more options in terms of a career change. It allows you to communicate with more people and view more information.

In terms of anime, it would be nice to know Japanese. Instead of being totally focused on the anime, you can multi-task and do other things at the same time. If you're reading subs it's hard to do something else without missing a couple of lines of text. Also you can better focus on the action and content instead of focusing on reading the words.

The best way to learn a language is to learn it like you did as a baby. Reading textbooks, memorizing and associating words with English is probably the hardest way to do it. You'll learn a lot faster by figuring things out step by step and then once you have words under your belt (by associating with real-life objects) you can start to learn grammar, etc.
Oct 8, 2008 9:55 AM

Mar 2008
All the time! It doesn't just apply to anime though, I want to be able to understand raw manga and novels! I've been dying to read the Seirei no Moribito novels :c
Aside from that, I think that learning Japanese - or any other language - would be a plus, since it'd widen your career range.
I'll take up a course after my finals so I can learn the language though. But Japanese isn't the only language I have in mind, since I like learning new languages ^^
Click Here !:

Feb 21, 2011 12:17 PM

Aug 2010
Yes i have, but not just for anime. I really want to learn it because it can help some people in their careers in life and i've always wanted to learn another language ^^

plus i also want to be able to read and write it too!!!!
Feb 21, 2011 12:41 PM
Aug 2010
Yeah I thought about learning it but just because I like the language and culture not just to watch anime
Feb 21, 2011 2:12 PM

Jun 2009
I've thought about learning to read Japanese more so than just the language so that I can read a wider selection of manga, but the sheer number of kanji has always made me wary to learn. It would be great to learn it, but I'm really lazy...
Feb 21, 2011 2:16 PM

Jun 2010
i always wanted to learn it because i just find the language itself fascinating and Japanese history is just amazing as well...I am thinking about maybe taking a course of it in college...however anime and manga being easier to read with a greater selection available to me is just an added bonus :)
Feb 21, 2011 3:16 PM

Feb 2011
The only reason I'd learn Japanese is for watching anime. Nothing more nothing less, haters gonn' hate.

If their was some way to learn only verbal I'd look into it, but I don't know if one even exists where you can learn Japanese without learning Kanji first.
Feb 21, 2011 6:32 PM
Dec 2010
I would if it wasn't that hard ahahaha.
I personally don't see where talking Japanese could be useful to me, as it is mainly spoken in Japan.
Feb 21, 2011 7:38 PM

Feb 2011
Yes but I always keep postponing it :(
Feb 21, 2011 8:01 PM

Sep 2007
The amount of time it would take for me to learn Japanese beyond just conversational politeness? Not nearly worth the effort for just one hobby.
Feb 21, 2011 8:26 PM

May 2009
Many times, and I plan to eventually, but I'd be learning it for more than just watching anime.
Feb 21, 2011 8:35 PM

Jul 2009
Perhaps.

But, who is necroing these threads?
Feb 21, 2011 10:05 PM

Jul 2010
Apparently, I know a couple more words now. After watching anime in Japanese for the past 5 or 6 years now.
Feb 21, 2011 11:03 PM

Dec 2009
I've made up my mind am taking courses in Japanese in the summer holiday.

The reason: to watch anime at ease ,to play games without waiting for the US version and finally to travel to Japan without the need of a translator.
Feb 22, 2011 8:00 AM

Jan 2011
Maybe but learning Japanese seems hard so I will stick to reading english subs xD

I am a man than can make the impossible, possible.
Feb 22, 2011 9:02 AM
Feb 2011
I have, and apparently most of my seniors in college do too. They're taking up a Nihongo elective mainly for their anime, much to our teacher's dismay.
Feb 22, 2011 9:05 AM
Nov 2009
I have no problem with subs, I would rather learn the language so that I can play all the awesome games they have.
Feb 25, 2011 10:49 PM

Dec 2009
Yes, it is the reason I started taking Japanese at my college, but now I am taking it so when I go back to Japan for the intensive language course, it will be easier. Being able to watch anime without subs would definitely be a plus.

“Many of us crucify ourselves between two thieves - regret for the past and fear of the future.”
~ Fulton Oursler
Feb 25, 2011 11:32 PM

Jan 2011
I'm already learning Japanese, although anime was not the reason.
I want to study in Japan, but matters seem a little complicated at the moment.
夜露死苦
http://mochichandiscoversjapan.wordpress.com/
Visit my Japan adventures' blog. =3
Feb 26, 2011 1:02 AM

Sep 2008
That's certainly not a reason for me wanting to learn Japanese. There's really nothing 'hard' about watching anime without knowing the language - in fact, I actually appreciate reading subtitles during my shows. Subs tend to exercise the brain a bit more and make anime feel a just little more mature (not just a cartoon), imo.
Feb 26, 2011 2:24 AM
Dec 2009
Monia's thread from a long time ago.
The thought has accrued!
Shuck Face / Slinthead!
Feb 26, 2011 3:21 AM

Jan 2010
Yeah, but I've never acted on it, not fucked.
I'd quit anime by the time it were fluent enough for me to watch raw.
Feb 26, 2011 8:27 PM

Jan 2011
Yeah, Hopefully I can get electives on Nihongo the next semester.
Feb 26, 2011 8:36 PM

May 2010
I'd like to learn it, but not really for the purpose of watching anime.
Feb 26, 2011 11:03 PM

Jan 2011
i wuld never even consider the idea. learning any language will take a long time and in my case super long.
this is my god damn signature.
Feb 26, 2011 11:47 PM

Jan 2011
I actually learned Japanese before I was even into anime. Lol. However I should brush up on my Spanish, so I could enjoy watching novelas.
Feb 26, 2011 11:52 PM

Aug 2010
I have plenty of fun guessing some words without looking at the subtitle, then go back and check if i was right. Not whole sentence, just a word or two. basic stuff anyone that watched more than 10 animes could understand. ''LOL he said bye, i knew it!!'
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Would you date the user above? v4 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tensho - Sep 23, 2019

8210 by 6EyedBastard »»
49 seconds ago

» What are your thoughts on _____? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Gem - Aug 28, 2016

2980 by MitsukiHimeka »»
2 minutes ago

» Make a word with the last letter v.16 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KayKimii - Aug 5, 2023

5654 by Luchipher-Zen »»
2 minutes ago

» First Thing That Comes To Mind v21 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kunii - Mar 27

7904 by 6EyedBastard »»
2 minutes ago

» Is the user above you Naughty or Nice? v2 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Dec 15, 2017

4671 by mokkocchi »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.