Forum Settings
Forums
New
How would you rate this anime?
Feb 10, 2012 9:51 AM

Sep 2009
Spotlight Anime: Mimi wo Sumaseba (Whisper of the Heart)

MAL Anime Information Page: Mimi wo Sumaseba

MAL Score â 8.36 (by 17691 users)
Ranked - #152
Popularity - #372

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the anime that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate an anime: Animation, Sound, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Animation - insert rating
Sound - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Animation - discuss any pros and cons of the animation styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Sound - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to the music and sound effects used in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pros and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 5 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticise and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to watching this discussion unfold.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Whisper of the Heart was NOT inducted into the club Anime list:
27 Yes - 58.6%
19 No - 41.3%

34 Don't know this anime - 39.0% of the total number polled
7 Abstained - 8.0% of the total number polled

Resurrection You Decide results:

Mimi wo Sumaseba (Whisper of the Heart) (Anime) (19/11/17)
- Yes: 25
- No: 5
- I haven't watched this anime: 22
~ Abstained: 2

- 83%
TruePeinNov 26, 2017 6:26 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 17, 2012 10:58 PM

May 2010
Good, but ultimately not good enough to be on the list.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Feb 20, 2012 5:31 PM
May 2011
Animation - 9
This one's an open and shut case. Ghibli's famous animation is on display here, and while it is not put to its maximum potential due to the introspective nature of the plot that has little action-packed scenes to animate, the world feels alive and beautiful, with art direction at an excellent standard.

Sound - 9
Whisper of the Heart's strongest point is perhaps its music, which becomes a focal point of the movie in numerous emotional scenes. Music is the soul of Whisper of the Heart- its principal characters love music, and this love is communicated to the audience in a show-don't-tell style with the effort they put into their musical pieces.
The violin rendition of Country Roads is probably the most memorable scene in the entire film, and easily stands on its own merit as a beautiful piece independent of the wider movie, while furthering the feelings the movie had set up previously. Ghibli succeeded perfectly here with an insert song, which can be a disengaging and distracting business that grinds the movie to a halt for a musical intermission if it isn't done right.

Characters - 7
Shizuku comes off as a believable and charming young lady, doing her unexceptional best in an unexceptional and unromanticized (yet still loving) family. The antique store, Seiji and associated characters are all fine as well, but there is nobody of considerable charisma. The young female ghibli leads become interchangable to a certain point, and Miyazaki's reluctance to deviate from his (admittedly working) system is a minor failing of the movie. Still, it is not that any character is bad- only that it is disappointing that the movie treads so little fresh ground.

Story - 8
The movie benefits from its muted fantasy elements; they lend a sense of adventure without distracting from the coming of age story of two young people trying to find their voice and path in the world. It is a rosy and thoroughly optimistic story, with little drama to speak of, but this is by no means a flaw. Whisper of the Heart has a broadly appealing, universal message and tells it effectively.

Enjoyment - 9
Ultimately, Whisper of the Heart is a feel good movie. It is uplifting, healing, calming, and its soundtrack is pleasing. A movie that is a joy to watch, it is among Ghibli's very best productions, and is notable for being the point of origin for its underrated "sequel", The Cat Returns.
Feb 22, 2012 4:47 AM

May 2011
Marvelous animation and music. Great central characters. Unique and enjoyable representation of an old adage. Feminist undertones. This movie is quite close to perfect and possibly my favorite Ghibli movie after Grave of the Fireflies. 9/10 and a yes.
Mar 4, 2012 12:48 PM

Dec 2007
Looking at this anime, I could say it's technically perfect. However, perfection many times does not bring a good result. Whisper of the Heart lacks substance in every aspect, even though everything is well done.

The art is well done, cleanly animated and well drawn. However there is not beauty even in the things that are supposed to be very beautiful. The character designs look just like every other Ghibli designs and the cat is badly drawn.

That is another thing I don't get, the obsession with cats. The more I see cats in anime and in my daily life the less I like them.

Anyway, the story is apparently original, but it seems that the characters don't have a reason for their objectives. Making dreams come true is a good reason, but why do they decide to make them true precisely now? What happened behind that?

The music was irritating.

The end felt nice, but a bit exagerated. An average work at best.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Dec 16, 2016 4:16 PM

Jun 2016
Having watched this after Kimo No Na Wa, it seems like its just better... I mean, the plot is more believable and the messages and themes are practically the same just more fleshed out. Makes me wonder why they felt the need to rehash.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.