Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 8, 2012 1:40 PM

Jul 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty cool :)
Feb 8, 2012 4:17 PM

Jul 2011
Oh how I missed the ridiculousness of Prince of Tennis. :)

Ryoma in white looks weird. o.o (preview)
Feb 8, 2012 7:42 PM

Mar 2011
It was crazy and funny. 4/5
Feb 8, 2012 8:29 PM

Feb 2011
Well, it's not less ridiculous in the adaption.

This is, when all went downhill with the series, imo. I COULD accept that climbing stuff and what's to follow, as typical over the top-Prince of Tennis presentation.
But what's just wrong, is that all the players who lost are kept in the story. It was the exactly right thing, to cut the characters in the camp in half, because there were WAY to many. And then this part came. Just bad.
Feb 8, 2012 9:11 PM
Dec 2011
Kuchenlight said:

This is, when all went downhill with the series, imo. I COULD accept that climbing stuff and what's to follow, as typical over the top-Prince of Tennis presentation.
But what's just wrong, is that all the players who lost are kept in the story. It was the exactly right thing, to cut the characters in the camp in half, because there were WAY to many. And then this part came. Just bad.

Ahh but the thing is, if they cut out all the people that lost that includes Ryoma, Sanada and a whole bunch of main characters.
Feb 9, 2012 1:57 AM

Jan 2008
Bahahah, I was right, I did enjoy this a lot more seeing it animated than I did when I read this part in the manga.
Feb 9, 2012 2:36 AM

Nov 2010
Dafuq did i just watch, no tennis matches, too much dialogue and still pictures!
='( / 10
Feb 9, 2012 12:15 PM

Aug 2008
Kuchenlight said:

But what's just wrong, is that all the players who lost are kept in the story.

Do you realize that the popularity of this series comes from the million and half characters? If they just cut them out, at this point, a lot of fans would lose interest.
Feb 9, 2012 7:41 PM

Nov 2011
Prince of Rock Climbing. It was expected they wouldn't get rid of the losers (though they did try to kill them in this episode), so that I didn't mind. Pretty boring episode though.
Feb 9, 2012 8:15 PM

Feb 2011
dulucifer said:
Kuchenlight said:

Ahh but the thing is, if they cut out all the people that lost that includes Ryoma, Sanada and a whole bunch of main characters.

Sanada a main character? I don't think so.

And for Ryoma, how about being a LITTLE creative? Konomi (the mangaka) just could've make a special event for him. Like he has to play the match, that decides if he deserves to stay in the camp or not, right after the doubles match with Kintaro. As a special challenge, to the main character.
Or ANYTHING like that. If you use your head, it's not hard to think of a way, to keep him in.

honest said:
Do you realize that the popularity of this series comes from the million and half characters? If they just cut them out, at this point, a lot of fans would lose interest.

Most of the guys, that have lost, aren't that popular. Aside from Ryoma, Kintaro, Sanada, Inui, Oishii, Momoshiro and Kaido, almost all the very popular characters, are still in the camp.
If the mangaka just changed it, so that Ryoma and 2-3 of the other popular guys didn't lose, the audience wouldn't care, with the exception of very few fanboys/fangirls.
Feb 10, 2012 3:21 AM

Jan 2011
Just looked at my animelist and realised, that this is supposed to only have 13 episodes. So this shit that has happened so far is almost the half of the new season?
I really loved the original series, but this is friggin pointless...
Feb 10, 2012 8:01 AM

Aug 2008
Kuchenlight said:

Most of the guys, that have lost, aren't that popular. Aside from Ryoma, Kintaro, Sanada, Inui, Oishii, Momoshiro and Kaido, almost all the very popular characters, are still in the camp.

I believe you are thinking about the Western fandom, in Japan, for example, Sanada is one of the most popular characters, there's no way Konomi would get rid of him, that'd be just stupid.
Feb 10, 2012 10:54 AM

Jan 2008
This anime just gets better with every week that passes! It never fails to make me laugh or feel emotional.
The characters are the main reason that PoT is so popular, so of course that the more the anime/manga progresses, we get to know more about the characters and it's so much fun. It's great that there's focus on more characters other than Ryoma and Seigaku.
Too bad the new anime gets only 13 episodes, but maybe it'll be continued when the manga has more plot in it.
Feb 10, 2012 11:54 AM

Nov 2007
Wait so there really going to be 13 episodes !? but almost nothing happened and it's already more than half the season !! Till now I wan't worry about progress because I thought it will be as long going as the first one , but now ... I don't want it to be over so fast :( they could have called it a special instead if only 13 episodes are promised :/

But I guess if the one above me says that there isn't enough material then i can't complain. Like they say- better something than nothing right ?D:

as for the episode (after the long rent ) - I think It's really good that for once there is a focus on the side characters . there aren't many anime/ manga which do this , so even if it's not the most interesting, this deserve a praise :)
[/url]
Feb 10, 2012 9:40 PM

Feb 2011
honest said:
Kuchenlight said:

I believe you are thinking about the Western fandom, in Japan, for example, Sanada is one of the most popular characters, there's no way Konomi would get rid of him, that'd be just stupid.

uhm....I listed Sanada, didn't I?
Feb 11, 2012 1:22 AM

Jan 2008
Kuchenlight said:
honest said:
Kuchenlight said:

uhm....I listed Sanada, didn't I?

If you look at Japanese fan sites, you'll see that Niou, Kenya, Zaizen, Yanagi, Shishido and more are super popular, even more than all the Seigaku guys combined. In PoT all the characters are important in some way, I think that the decision of focusing on the losers is great, and even necessary.
Feb 11, 2012 6:20 AM

Jan 2012
Agree that it's not easy to cut characters. Some fans (especially in Japan) are very invested in some of the rival school characters. While Fuji and Echizen seem to be in the top in popularity polls consistently, most of the other top spots are not occupied by Seigaku.

Was glad that we saw slightly more of the Sanada/Yukimura match. Poor Yukimura with his friendly smile did not see the great grimness coming, hehe.
FriendlymatchFeb 11, 2012 6:25 AM
Feb 11, 2012 1:02 PM

Jan 2011
Damn the eagle kkkkkk that was funny xD
Sanada's speech was awesome
And the training that the winners had to do, man, you gotta be kidding!
Feb 11, 2012 1:27 PM

Jun 2008
I kinda agree that bringing these dropped out characters back into the camp is kinda.. meh. After all the drama of losing to their friends (in most cases) and whatnot. But I can see why it had to be done. I'd be ultra pissed if they made up some bs reason to keep just Ryoma and Kintaro, just because they can't get rid of the main characters. That wouldn't be fair to the others who were disqualified.

And I JUST noticed the episode count. WHAT? :/
Feb 11, 2012 11:59 PM
Apr 2011
This was a nice episode. I love how everyone supported each other when things got tough and, as usual, lol at the comedy pair. XD
Feb 12, 2012 10:56 PM

Jul 2011
Mixed feelings. Part of me hated it, part of me loved it. The events themselves were nothing short of ridiculous and not in a good way. I expect it to be over the top but this is bit too much. On the other hand them working together toward a goal was pretty enjoyable.

The second chance thing itself is a bit of a mixed bag. In a way it's good because it gives more time with the characters that failed but it also make losing and all the drama involved with seem a bit pointless too. Still, also glad that some weak excuse wasn't used so just Ryoma could stay. Losing and/or breaking the rules should have some consequences, after all.
Feb 13, 2012 3:14 AM

Oct 2010
messedup said:
Just looked at my animelist and realised, that this is supposed to only have 13 episodes. So this shit that has happened so far is almost the half of the new season?

They should have given the manga more time to progress before animating it. :| :( I was so excited to see it animated, but thirteen episodes is just too short. Seriously.

Also, they skipped one of my favorite parts of the manga.

lanachanFeb 13, 2012 6:13 AM
[insert awesome signature here]
Feb 13, 2012 4:19 AM

Jan 2012
Who is there on mountain?? Ohh...
Feb 14, 2012 8:18 AM

Jan 2008
MAL is the only place I've found that lists the series as only being 13 episodes. I can't find any other source corroborating this.

13 episodes doesn't make any damn sense. Up to this episode, 17 chapters have been animated. There are currently 70+ chapters out. There's more than enough for at least a 24-26 episode series.
Feb 14, 2012 5:36 PM
Oct 2009
Whoa, is it just me or did music from the original series just start playing?

Unless I was deaf and didn't hear it in previous episodes.
Feb 15, 2012 9:11 PM

Feb 2011
Panaru said:
MAL is the only place I've found that lists the series as only being 13 episodes. I can't find any other source corroborating this.

13 episodes doesn't make any damn sense. Up to this episode, 17 chapters have been animated. There are currently 70+ chapters out. There's more than enough for at least a 24-26 episode series.

Keep in mind, that production started, when there weren't 70 chapters already. More like....50? Or something like that.

And the problem isn't the chapter-count. It's the content. There is almost nothing happening in one chapter. Especially in the newer ones. Some even only have 6-10 pages. That's ridiculous.

So it only makes sense, that this is gonna be 13 episodes (well, it's not like it made sense, to animate it so early, though).
It'll probably end, when it's about to get interesting with...
Feb 18, 2012 12:17 PM

Mar 2010
lanachan said:
messedup said:

They should have given the manga more time to progress before animating it. :| :( I was so excited to see it animated, but thirteen episodes is just too short. Seriously.

Also, they skipped one of my favorite parts of the manga.

Where was Kabaji in this episode? He hasn't appeared since he lost.
Feb 24, 2012 2:22 AM

Jun 2007
Sanada episode! awww loved it, i hope there will be more such eps yet to come. I'd say this episode was better than the manga chapter.
Else, i agree with the post above Niou-Kabaji's moment was great although more Sanada is even better...
Apr 17, 2012 11:35 AM

Sep 2010
It's a pity they decided to cut out the scene with Kabaji and imitation of Atobe.=( I was looking forward to see it animated.
And btw new POT is much more ridiculous than the first one.
Jul 7, 2014 5:50 PM

Apr 2014
ZAIZEN <3

Aw, Sanada.
Aug 25, 2015 10:45 AM

Aug 2013
This mountain climbing stuff is a bit silly. Some of them could have easily died.
Aug 22, 2016 11:15 AM
Jul 2018
Ha, I knew the losing players would be kept around. There was NO WAY they'd let Sanada leave the series, he's too popular for that. Also glad to see that Zaizen is here now! But seriously, who decides to turn down an invitation to this awesome training camp because "it seems like too much work"?!?! Get it together, Zaizen! You're supposed to be next year's captain!!

And Yuuji, now reunited with Koharu. LOL Kin-chan's reaction to them "what a beautiful story!" XD

This episode was ridiculous and over-the-top dramatic, but ever since I read about Konomi wanting to make Tenipuri more like a fantasy shounen manga, I actually find all this dramatic stuff enjoyable.
Feb 16, 2021 1:45 PM

Dec 2012
Aaaand this got really weird really fast. At least the losers have a chance to literally climb back into the arena.
Aug 30, 2021 9:38 AM
Sep 2018
pretty cool episode
Jul 12, 2023 10:29 PM
Jul 2023
Ryoma and sanadašŸ˜

More topics from this board

Poll: » New Prince of Tennis Episode 8 Discussion

Blackbird - Feb 22, 2012

26 by Ryomachibisuke »»
Jul 12, 2023 10:34 PM

Poll: » New Prince of Tennis Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Mirorin - Jan 4, 2012

89 by Ryomachibisuke »»
Jul 12, 2023 10:25 PM

Poll: » New Prince of Tennis Episode 5 Discussion

dulucifer - Feb 1, 2012

23 by iTwiXix »»
Aug 28, 2021 9:55 AM

Poll: » New Prince of Tennis Episode 4 Discussion

Myloxeth - Jan 25, 2012

26 by iTwiXix »»
Aug 28, 2021 6:23 AM

Poll: » New Prince of Tennis Episode 3 Discussion

Panaru - Jan 18, 2012

23 by iTwiXix »»
Aug 28, 2021 5:48 AM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.