Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 2, 2012 9:47 PM

Jun 2011
For some reason today my little brother asked me if I could hook up the laptop to the TV and watch anime together. Problem is, most of the anime I've seen is either ecchi/some nudity, romantic comedy, or just too complicated for him to understand. Don't want to rewatch FMA atm, plus its hard to find a download link for licensed anime. Any suggestions? Swearing/blood/gore are fine, I'd rather have that or comedy. Also, no shounen :P
Jan 2, 2012 9:55 PM

Dec 2010
How old is he?
Jan 2, 2012 10:02 PM
Jan 2, 2012 10:27 PM

Jan 2008
My brother, hes 10, 11 in a few weeks, he's watched Angel Beats multiple times and he understands it no problem. As I speak, he's re-watching it on netflix on my PS3...

Other series he enjoyed were
-Soul Eater (Minor/low ecchi, fighting, shounen)
-Full Metal Panic + Fumoffu (S2 has nudity)
-Tokyo Majin (Blood, Gore, etc)
-Gurren Lagann (Mecha, minor/low ecchi)
-Clannad + Clannad AS (Slice of Life)
-Highschool of the Dead (Blood, Gore, heavy/high Ecchi)
-Bleach (Sword fighting, blood, Shounen, etc)

Probably forgetting a few others.

Lol... quite diverse I guess.
Jan 2, 2012 10:44 PM

Jun 2011
Yah, I was thinking of showing him Angel Beats!, one of my all time favorites. I'd show him HOTD if there was less ecchi o.O
Jan 2, 2012 10:52 PM

Dec 2008
- Seirei no Moribito (fantasy, some action, a little slow at times)
- Summer Wars (film, comedy, a little romance, action-ish)
- Nabari no Ou (action, modern-day ninjas; there is an intersex character, but I can't remember if it was emphasized/mentioned or not)
- Darker than BLACK (sci-fi, action, a bit of comedy, can be a bit hard to understand at times due to the terminology being thrown around but he should be able to get the gist of it)
Jan 3, 2012 1:04 AM

Jun 2007
Aria
GTO
Angelic Layer
Juuni Kokuki
Soukou no Strain
Heroic Age
Jan 3, 2012 1:45 AM

Jun 2011
my 12 yr old brother loves cowboy bebop & samurai champloo.
hmm, others he may enjoy; fruits basket, beck, deadman wonderland, higashi no eden, red garden, wolf's rain, trigun, etc. (:
Jan 3, 2012 12:50 PM

Mar 2010
What about Ghibli productions?
Kiss me. Experience the sweet sweet taste of heaven.
Jan 3, 2012 12:54 PM

Aug 2011
>Recommendations for 13 year old.
>No shounen.

Other than that, Ghibli should work, as MayRingo said.
Jan 3, 2012 12:59 PM

Mar 2010
Tiago97, haha, nice spoiler x)

Just remembered Nurarihyon no Mago. It's nice I think.
Jan 3, 2012 1:05 PM

Aug 2011
MayRingo said:
Just remembered Nurarihyon no Mago. It's nice I think.

But the OP asks for
Brodyzera said:
no shounen

This really makes it hard on us.
Jan 3, 2012 1:13 PM

Mar 2010
Couldn't resist, I really liked it ^^''

Oh well, then they can watch Lucky Star and little brother will never ask again.

Btw, Brodyzera, how about Hetalia?
Jan 3, 2012 1:22 PM

Jan 2012
It's quite difficult to deduce what kind of anime he will enjoy, and what anime would be too complicated for him. I personally enjoyed Higurashi aswell as Bleach, they're too different kind of series but Bleach might be more suitable for a kid at that age. On the other hand, Higurashi has relatively much blood and violence.

Another choice might be Elfen Lied or Black Lagoon. I could just direct you to the anime archive of MAL as there are so man series to suggest, you'll just have to use your gut and choose something you think your brother and you might enjoy.
Jan 3, 2012 2:42 PM

Jun 2011
You said you won't show him Ecchi/nudity kind of anime but I don't think Chobits would do him any harm.

Also:

Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Samurai Champloo
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Jan 3, 2012 3:34 PM
Nov 2011
If I had a brother that young, I'd much rather show him some light ecchi/comedy show like Rosario+Vampire than some blood splatter like HOTD/Elfen Lied or complicated stuff like Death Note. Seitokai Yakuindomo could also work since it doesnt have any ecchi, just some perverted jokes and stuff ^^
Jan 3, 2012 3:54 PM
Jul 2018
MayRingo said:
What about Ghibli productions?

Those are always magical, I reccomend them as well, specially Future Boy Conan
Jan 3, 2012 4:07 PM

Feb 2010
Angel Beats is a good bet, indeed.
Berserk
Death Note
FLCL
Hajime no Ippo (Shonen, but ridiculously good shonen.)
Rainbow (I personally wasn't a fan, but everyone else seems to love it. He might also feel cool watching something edgy)
Jan 3, 2012 4:14 PM

Apr 2011
Samurai Champloo, my friend.
Jan 3, 2012 7:38 PM

Jun 2011
Hmmm...I'll see how he likes Angel Beats and then might show him Bleach, I myself watched Bleach around his age.
Jan 3, 2012 7:49 PM
Dec 2011
Dear goodness why infecct him with something like Angel Beats!. At least get him to watch sub. Though if he's 13 he'll think its the best thing evaaaaaarr :)

Also, licensed anime is hard to download? Possibly, if you're downloading the English version. Though, I got FMA:B from CoalGirls which included English Dubs before I bought the BRays.

Let's see, Death Note? If you don't mind him asking you questions. Try showing him AnoHana instead of Clannad [not because I don't like it] since its 4x much shorter. School Rumble if hes looking for a laugh [English avaliable on Netflix].

I'd say any of the Gundam Series. I'm sure most kids [mostly guys, and the Kira Yamato fangirls] would love any of the recent series [not including Age/Unicorn].

You could always try Guilty Crown as well. He's too young to see how terrible and cliche [he hasn't seen much I'm assuming] the show is.

Jan 4, 2012 7:29 AM

Aug 2011
I just had this conversation with my best friend, who was trying to find suitable anime for her 13 year old cousin. But, her cousin is a female with different interests. :P

I recommended Skip Beat. For as much as my husband's made me watch it, I've never noticed anything too objectionable.

Tegami Bachi is also another decent one.
Jan 4, 2012 7:33 AM

Oct 2011
Kimi to boku talking about friendship and doesn't involve direct romance , it shows the beautiful friendship between childhood friends. Usagi drop is pretty good showing kindness of a 30 years old man who takes in a small girl and raise her by himself.

More topics from this board

» Looking for Solo Leveling kind of anime

RiasuSama - Apr 16

10 by ST63LTH »»
2 hours ago

» Movies

BitChilly - 7 hours ago

5 by Zarutaku »»
2 hours ago

» Battle romance manhwa/manga/manhua

NaTsu879 - 7 hours ago

1 by dowzer »»
3 hours ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

23 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
5 hours ago

» Anime where guy hits girl back

Borito_Uzumaki - May 6, 2017

48 by xthewarwithinx »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.