Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 20, 2011 3:30 AM

Mar 2010
Hello everyone . Can I watch the Sequel without watching the Prequel? I mean , is that even okay? Will I understand the story? what do you think?

Its because , i saw the prequel seems to rather have bad graphic compare to the sequel(this one is eye catchy enough)

So , I just need opinions and all.

Advance thanks :')
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2011 5:40 PM
Mar 2011
I wanna know that too... I just watched the PV and it seems interesting.
Jan 1, 2012 12:23 PM

Mar 2009
i think its better if you watch the prequel... you might understand something about their past lifes and the past lifes of the ones in Sousei no Aquarion XD
Jan 9, 2012 6:37 AM

Jun 2011
I want to try this season.. but I couldn't stand Sousei no Aquarion I haaated the characters...
Duhuhu...
Mar 3, 2012 6:59 PM

May 2008
Oh when I stared watching Aquarion Evol I decided to watch the prequel and its movie because yeah it helps a lot to know a bit more about the characters we will be seeing in Aquarion Evol plus u get the Background story because u will see who and who is the reincarnation of what character in the original series its kind of fun.

You will know about the bad guys and the character relationships even though i see know how some roles have been switched from the original ( you would have to watch it so u would get what i mean).

So yeah defiantly watch the prequel and the movie they are really good to watch (or the ovas work to if i what it short).
Mar 3, 2012 7:53 PM

Jun 2008
It is definitely not a requirement for those who read this topic in the future.

The only bonus is the nostalgic factors as you try to match up the reincarnations and seeing the same corniness with ridiculous moves again. And also see some (immortal) characters appear in the sequel (Fudo Gen, so awesome).

But they never even once said Sylvie's name, I think (female main of the prequel). I don't think Apollo (male main of the prequel) was mentioned either, they just called them the mythical figure Apollonius and Celiane (the original original myth, prior to the prequel). Pretty much the entire plot in the prequel isn't that important, and is relatively summed up in simplifications in the first episode by having the 2 mains watch and talk about a movie.

Do not try to watch the prequel because you think you have to understand the sequel in order to do so. The only real difference is nostalgia. To see the same corniness, reincarnations, is joyful to people who liked the prequel, but the prequel on average wasn't that great.
Mar 3, 2012 9:33 PM
Dec 2011
Tachii said:

The only bonus is the nostalgic factors as you try to match up the reincarnations and seeing the same corniness with ridiculous moves again. And also see some (immortal) characters appear in the sequel (Fudo Gen, so awesome).

But they never even once said Sylvie's name, I think (female main of the prequel). I don't think Apollo (male main of the prequel) was mentioned either, they just called them the mythical figure Apollonius and Celiane (the original original myth, prior to the prequel). Pretty much the entire plot in the prequel isn't that important, and is relatively summed up in simplifications in the first episode by having the 2 mains watch and talk about a movie.

Do not try to watch the prequel because you think you have to understand the sequel in order to do so. The only real difference is nostalgia. To see the same corniness, reincarnations, is joyful to people who liked the prequel, but the prequel on average wasn't that great.

Thanks for this response; helped a bunch. :)
Jun 2, 2012 9:25 PM
Jan 2008
Tachii said:

to say it wasn't that great of a series is insulting if you ask me. i thought the original series was great people said it was a giant rip off of evangelion and to some level they are correct. but in actuality the series had far more depth to it plot wise than evangelion would ever have as it has a story behind the original building up to something bigger. aquarion in my opinion was better than evangelion because of that. and no you do infact need to watch the original series in order to fully understand whats going on in EVOL otherwise how else would you understand whats going on between the characters. they changed some of the names around so they didn't sound exactly the same and changed the backstory to it slightly making it harder to understand than it could have been. so watching the original series does more than bring back nostaligia of trying to figure out who was reincarnated as who. it fills in the gap that fuda made between the backstory to aquarion which was the legend of solar wing coming back and the future fudo is now in.
Jun 3, 2012 10:02 AM

Mar 2009
SilverNirvash said:
Tachii said:

to say it wasn't that great of a series is insulting if you ask me. i thought the original series was great people said it was a giant rip off of evangelion and to some level they are correct. but in actuality the series had far more depth to it plot wise than evangelion would ever have as it has a story behind the original building up to something bigger. aquarion in my opinion was better than evangelion because of that. and no you do infact need to watch the original series in order to fully understand whats going on in EVOL otherwise how else would you understand whats going on between the characters. they changed some of the names around so they didn't sound exactly the same and changed the backstory to it slightly making it harder to understand than it could have been. so watching the original series does more than bring back nostaligia of trying to figure out who was reincarnated as who. it fills in the gap that fuda made between the backstory to aquarion which was the legend of solar wing coming back and the future fudo is now in.

lol not that anyone will care what I think- but, I found that comment also insulting about it not being great. On top of what SilverNirvash just said, I'll further correct Tachii who made the statement that Silvia's name wasn't mentioned once. Her name's been mentioned in a great number of episodes, both the name of "Silvia" and the name that they were using first, which was "Silvie" (I assume after 12000 years her name was altered with the retelling of the story- they'd also altered Apollo's name from "Apollo" to "Apollon" by this time).
And also they had an impact on the lives of the current people in the world of Evol even though they were partially forgotten (I mean the truth of what happened to them) as well as why Apollo sacrificed himself.

Saying that her name wasn't mentioned at all, and that his name was mentioned a few times makes me wonder if I'm watching the same Aquarion Evol.
And personally, no offense meant to the poster, I would have gone back and corrected my post if I had been the one who made that comment, if I'd made it before I was too far into EVOL.... and realized I was mistaken.
I'm not pointing this out to start a fight- but I feel it's misleading to make those statements for people who come here looking for helpful info.
All of that being said, no, I don't think it's a requirement to watch the first series. However I wouldn't advocate skipping it, as I loved the first one. It was unique (I never watched much of Evangellion so yes, it was unique to me) and I love almost anything with reincarnation as part of it's story line.

I have a good friend on MAL who started watching Evol before the first season, and while some things might be misunderstood about some things in the last season going by the trolling they've been doing here, I still agree that it's not a requirement, however I can't imagine someone not wanting (Being curious enough) to try it at some time, I loved Aquarion so much I watched it once, dubbed in English, then immediately watched it in Subbed because I wanted to get the full feel of it, then as soon as I finished the last episode in Sub I watched it 2 more times (Again dubbed then subbed) and since that time I have watched it about 2-3 more times.

But I do understand that not everyone will or does love it the way I do- the only thing, with all of it's corny-ness and plot-holes -(Which it had a number of but I can't remember them off the top of my head, I haven't see the first season since about... 2009 because there have been so many other anime that interest me coming out)- that made me love it was the characters, their personalities and the reincarnation aspect.
I think when Reincarnation is added to a story, that gives it SOOOO many chances to "evolve"(<-- no pun on the current series intended BTW) into so much more and it gives the creators so much more to work with.
Jun 3, 2012 11:15 AM

May 2009
With retcon in latest episode of Evol there is no point in watching Genesis.
Jun 27, 2012 5:43 AM
Dec 2010
I don't understand why would anyone want to skip prequel when 2005's show is still young in Anime age.
There'll be lot of hints and flashbacks from prequel and those can enhance watchers experience more then enough, also considering fact that first season was good anime which can add to entertainment too, its kind of sad that people want to skip that one.

But technically i don't think there's need to watch prequel to understand this series but for price of being stripped of moments hinting prequel.

Personal exp., if i knew what's in sequel i would watch only prequel.
greenmartyJul 1, 2012 5:57 AM
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Jul 10, 2012 9:52 AM

Jun 2009
Great...I JUST GOT SPOILED !! while reading all the post i have decided that i will watch the prequel.. but some dude who i think doesn't have the idea that this Topic will be read by the people new to AQUARION ... just great !! i didn't watch the prequel but i now know that this apollion will sacrifice himself ???? ow just great !! thanks for all the SPOILER !! geez.
Jul 10, 2012 11:10 AM

May 2009
g0ng0n16 said:
that this apollion will sacrifice himself ???? ow just great !! thanks for all the SPOILER !! geez.

It's your own fault, also Apollon was just old movie character.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aquarion Evol Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

a6342164 - Jun 24, 2012

187 by SlammyHammy »»
Feb 28, 10:12 PM

Poll: » Aquarion Evol Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Jun 10, 2012

71 by E_akane_7 »»
Nov 4, 2020 8:58 AM

Poll: » Aquarion Evol Episode 4 Discussion

tsubasalover - Jan 22, 2012

48 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 16, 2020 2:55 PM

Poll: » Aquarion Evol Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Jan 15, 2012

64 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 16, 2020 2:14 PM

Poll: » Aquarion Evol Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Jan 8, 2012

79 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 15, 2020 11:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.