Forum Settings
Forums

What do you do when you're ignored by your friend(s)?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 24, 2011 10:45 AM

Jan 2011
Forest-kun said:
Get new friends.

that exactly what i will do
Oct 24, 2011 10:46 AM

Jun 2009
then, just ignore them...
Oct 24, 2011 3:13 PM

Dec 2010
JJandWine said:
How can they ignore you if you don't say shit?

This. It's not ignoring you if you just sit back and don't talk. You're the one putting yourself out of the conversation.
Oct 24, 2011 3:22 PM

Jan 2008
It's hard to do, but slap them, then ignore the shit out of them.
Oct 24, 2011 3:33 PM

May 2008
Friends wouldn't ignore you. They're not friends.

Oct 24, 2011 4:20 PM

Oct 2011
Usually I just punch them in the shoulder or randomly go in the conversation and randomly say something.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 24, 2011 4:28 PM
Jul 2018
Leondre said:
Friends don't ignore you.

This. Real friends wouldn't ignore you.
Oct 24, 2011 4:28 PM

Jul 2010
You've got to talk more. I'm sure if you feel this way, they do too.
Oct 24, 2011 4:45 PM

Dec 2009
I'm the one ignoring them! Well its actually because I'm not their friend anymore,
plus they were never really "friends". I finally noticed that and moved on.

I'll answer your question. What you need to do is, "do you want them to stop ignoring you?"
If so, then do something about it. Which is, confront them! x3

You could take whatever action you want I guess, friendly or aggressively if you want.
Its your choice on what you want to do, you take control of yourself but the only problem is,
remember: you can't control them/their reply
waalex11Oct 24, 2011 5:01 PM
Oct 24, 2011 4:46 PM

Mar 2011
People have been saying they aint your real friends if they ignore you, but they aren't there to push you along socially, you have to do the talking by yourself. If you share nothing in common with your friends, then you have a problem, and that's when you should start wondering about whether you should be friends.

If you are really concerned, then listen into their conversations, find out they talk about, then do something that'll give you something to put into the conversations; They talk a lot about a sport? Go watch some matches of said sport and put in some input when they discuss it. Television show they like? Watch it. Ideally you wouldn't have to do this, but I don't really know what else you can do, apart from just talk more, even if it's about random stuff. I've never had the problem consistently enough to warrant me worrying about it, so I can't be too helpful...
Oct 24, 2011 8:15 PM

Oct 2011
I used to be exactly the same before I realised that I didn't really have a lot in common with my friends, I'd always be the one doing the calling or the first to message. I then quit my band, didn't bother speaking to any of them and started hanging around with other people who I knew enjoyed my company, and vice-versa.

Took a while to realise that the person I'm going to get along with the most is an otaku. Now he's one of my best mates.
Oct 24, 2011 11:01 PM
Mar 2008
You obviously care about this so don't take any advice that says: walk away. You'll regret it later, if only for acting againts yourself, if not againts your friends.

Take more interest in them, share your own life more so they take an interest in you. Bottom line, make an effort. Friendship does not come gift-wrapped.

You might not be as good with words as them, but remember, actions speak louder than words. You'll know how to show your friendship when the time comes, more than anyone in here could know.
Oct 25, 2011 2:25 AM

Jun 2010
Talk with them.....duh?
Oct 25, 2011 2:31 AM
Sep 2011
I was treated badly by my friends. They never stuck up for me and they made excuses why they couldn't call me "Oh, too dare to call a mobile phone". They would easily ditch me for someone else. Nor were they compassionate to me. I decided I didn't want to be around them anymore, so one of them turned into bullies, bullying me and taunting me everywhere I went at school. Even getting into my Mum's personal life, which was a NO-GO ZONE. Mum went to this girl's house and she DENIED She even said a thing.
She even was so angry I didn't want to be friends with her anymore, she told my crushes I liked them. One right next to him and me in class and the other he just sat and laughed at me with his friend while I walked past him during break once.

The other friend I had I just got sick of her not being a friend back, she used me and lied to me. She instantly went back to hang out with this ex-friend who bullied me and they started hanging out and being happy. Eventually the bullying friend moved away (phew), but there was awkwardness as the other girl followed me onto High School and you could totally sense tention whenever we caught each others eye. One time I was talking to another girl and she happened to be near by alone, she suddenly took off. I think she might've felt jealous or something. I ended up leaving that high school early, not just because of her, but because of the intense bullying I got from teachers and students there. None of the teachers cared or wanted to help. But that's another story.
Oct 25, 2011 9:39 AM

Sep 2011
I usually set myself on fire.
Have you cuddled yer spoon recently ?

Oct 25, 2011 11:41 AM
Jul 2018
What any normal person would do:

Post messages telling people how depressed I am on facebook and how its all their fault and that I am sitting here with a bottle of tylenol and I will swallow up each and every one because of how awful I feel and they won't even care at all because they hate me so much and will probably be happy that I am dead or in the hospital or have a little bit of a tummy ache because they are assholes and can't accept that I am my own person except when I am in desperate need of the attention of others.
Oct 25, 2011 1:11 PM
Mar 2008
Come one, that was legitimate concern, one that I guess, could not be easy to ask to people you know. No need to be sarcastic about it.
Oct 25, 2011 2:04 PM
Jul 2010
My reaction: I ignore him/them back.
Oct 25, 2011 3:45 PM

Jul 2010
agnethafan said:
I was treated badly by my friends. They never stuck up for me and they made excuses why they couldn't call me "Oh, too dare to call a mobile phone". They would easily ditch me for someone else. Nor were they compassionate to me. I decided I didn't want to be around them anymore, so one of them turned into bullies, bullying me and taunting me everywhere I went at school. Even getting into my Mum's personal life, which was a NO-GO ZONE. Mum went to this girl's house and she DENIED She even said a thing.
She even was so angry I didn't want to be friends with her anymore, she told my crushes I liked them. One right next to him and me in class and the other he just sat and laughed at me with his friend while I walked past him during break once.

The other friend I had I just got sick of her not being a friend back, she used me and lied to me. She instantly went back to hang out with this ex-friend who bullied me and they started hanging out and being happy. Eventually the bullying friend moved away (phew), but there was awkwardness as the other girl followed me onto High School and you could totally sense tention whenever we caught each others eye. One time I was talking to another girl and she happened to be near by alone, she suddenly took off. I think she might've felt jealous or something. I ended up leaving that high school early, not just because of her, but because of the intense bullying I got from teachers and students there. None of the teachers cared or wanted to help. But that's another story.

Thanks for sharing. This means a lot to me.
Oct 25, 2011 3:47 PM
Jul 2018
Pero said:
Come one, that was legitimate concern, one that I guess, could not be easy to ask to people you know. No need to be sarcastic about it.

Well squire, it's certainly quite true that the concerns of the OP were legitimate. In fact, I know this only too well because I have experienced the same feeling myself.

And how did I get over it, you ask?

Well old chap, what I did was -aside from stop caring what other people thought of me- I attempted to be more humorous. And it has been relatively successful, if I do say so myself.

The OP's problem is one that affects many people out there, and there is no 'easy' solution to the problem.

You could raise the issue with your friends... but what are they going to do about it? Pause in the middle of conversations and ask for the OP's humble opinion on whatever matter is current? Quite simply, it's not going to happen. And even if it did... would she really want all that attention?

If the OP truly wanted the attention she feels she is missing out on, then she would have already found the means of getting it. People who genuinely desire the attention of others will go to whatever lengths are necessary to get it; more likely, the OP is mistaken as to what they really want (quite honestly, this is common in young people) and perceives that the neglect is an active attempt at victimisation rather than a completely natural occurance.

The best advice I can give her, is to not feel too concerned about her troubles dominating conversation. Those who genuinely crave the attention of others are not people who should be envied. By all means be more assertive and more charismatic; but do not think that the problem lies with people ignoring you. Assuming these people do not have underlying bad intentions, you are blaming them for your own failings.

Instead, you should consider why you want people to pay more attention to you in the first place... Do you have humorous anecdotes to share? An interesting opinion on a matter? Do you simply want to be more involved?

Each of these is a seperate want with their own means of fufillment; but none of them can be resolved simply by getting in the spotlight every once in a while.

Are you satisfied?
removed-userOct 25, 2011 3:56 PM
Oct 25, 2011 3:48 PM

Jan 2010
I've never really been ignored by my friends, at least when I actually had friends.
Usually, I was the one shutting people out, quite unfairly. Too damn stubborn to let anyone try to help, even though they wouldn't understand my problems anyways. Either way, it led to a rather lonely life. I've embraced that fact though.

Anyways, my advice to the poster, if you're being ignored by people you consider friends because you're not making an attempt to engage them in conversation, I mean, what can I say, be a bit more active. I know how it is to be "the quiet type". I'm quiet and typically very shy myself, but if a pretty, intelligent girl sits down to talk with me I don't let my personality get in the way of that. If anything, I take full control and do my best to be sure the my more positive traits overtake the less desirable ones.

If they're ignoring you for seemingly no reason, talk with them. Try to understand why, and if they can't be truthful with you or give you a reasonable answer, find better friends.
Oct 25, 2011 3:49 PM

Jul 2010
Pero said:

Yes, I can't understand people being sarcastic when someone has a legitimate concern about their high school social life. It's like TOTALLY so out of line. This is a regular occurence and we should talk it out and help each other. I sure want MAL to listen to me weep when I get ignored by someone. I mean, that's what this site is here for, right?

Be nice to people!
Oct 25, 2011 6:29 PM
Sep 2011
Icolyze said:
agnethafan said:

Thanks for sharing. This means a lot to me.
Icolyze said:

Na, I was only sharing this as I know what it's like to be ignored by friends as my 'ex' friends did so. =]. You don't have to thank me :D
Oct 25, 2011 6:32 PM
Sep 2011
^ quoting fail by me
Oct 25, 2011 7:09 PM
Mar 2008
AnnoKano said:
Are you satisfied?
Well, I shouldn't be should I? I didn't ask anything of you, the OP did (not you particulary).

Your post doesn't really mean anything to me. But, I can bet sharing your experience ranked well above mockery. So, good for you.
Oct 27, 2011 6:19 AM

Jun 2010
Punch them and scream "hello?". ^^
Tell the victims to kill eachother.
Oct 27, 2011 10:10 AM

Apr 2009
I've had my little circle of close friends for over 15 years. If they're ignoring me, that means they're fucking busy and have their own shit going on right now, and I'll just wait til they're done - and they'll do the same for me. Though they'd never brush me off if it were something important. In other words, they're ignoring me because they have to, not because they want to, so it's never cause for concern.
Oct 27, 2011 11:57 AM

Oct 2011
If they ignore you then their not really good friends. Find some better ones and enjoy your time without them with anime.
"Everyone dies nya"
Oct 27, 2011 12:04 PM

Sep 2008
A better question in my case is "What do you do when your friends actually respond to you?"

I'm usually just on my phone browsing the internet or sending messages to people I know online, since I can talk to them better anyway.
Nov 6, 2011 4:47 PM

Dec 2009
Leave, find new and better friends, who cares? Assuming you don't want to change friends then I would just be more outspoken. Not as hard as one would think.
Nov 7, 2011 8:34 AM

Nov 2011
Play video games. That's a simple solution imo.
Nov 9, 2011 12:23 PM
Jun 2011
I tend to get angry cause no one seems to talk to me and just ignores me, so I usually just not talk to them. Sometimes there busy. I'd recommend finding out why they seem to "ignore" you. Instead of coming to an assumption that they are.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 23, 2011 4:32 AM

Jul 2009
When I'm Ignored, I try get their attention :D idk if it works or fails but its fun anyways :D
Nov 23, 2011 1:24 PM

Sep 2010
atm im being semi-ignored, cause she's mad at me.
I think she asleep atm but usually i just let it rest if someone's mad at me and doesnt wanna talk i go play some games/listen to music try to calm myself and not get back in the argument.

(ppls only ignore me if i fight with em usually >.<)
Nov 23, 2011 2:13 PM
Nov 2011
Few bridge dwellers in thread.
Uhh, tend to just stop saying what I was about to say unless they ask again. It pisses me off whenever I ignore someone purposefully because they're going to say something annoying/useless, but they keep tapping me about it. Isn't it obvious when someone is ignoring you on purpose?
Nov 29, 2011 4:40 AM

Jul 2011
You're the same as me.
It often happen to me.
I usually hang in there but sometime probably I will walk away and do something else.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» How often do you see the user above in the forums? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

lucasmrNd - Aug 20, 2021

6500 by ToastWithNutella »»
17 seconds ago

» Rate how good you can do the thing above

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

47 by Starfallash »»
18 seconds ago

» Find an anime from above user's anime list that has the same score as you ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

reu_2d - Apr 20, 2021

4468 by Akuya »»
2 minutes ago

» Truth Or A Lie? v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Sep 9, 2023

2399 by Luchipher-Zen »»
2 minutes ago

» The above user wasted all of their money. What did they spend it on? ( 1 2 3 4 )

SnipeStrike - Mar 21

185 by SnipeStrike »»
3 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.