Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 21, 2008 11:27 PM

Jun 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was a weird ending. Both Jun and Ryou come back from the whale only Ryou comes back dead, clearly because he already died on that snow mountain.

I'm still left with loads of questions that where not answered at all and new ones.
1) do people still have persona's now?
2) Was the whale pissed off because of Ayane's dad creating man made Persona's or was it pissed off because normal people had personas?
3) What was the Whale? People disappear into it and we still have no clue what it is or what it looks like or if its man made.
4) Was Shin's sword made from his parents strong will to correct what they had done wrong or was it created by something else? We hear Ryou say something about the sword and then we hear something else about Shin's strong will..bla bla. I wish they wouldn't dance around things like this.

But overall I was happy with the ending, I just wish more was answered.
Jul 22, 2008 1:28 AM

Jan 2008
Good concliosion to a good series. 7/10 for both this episode and the series. It was nothing extraordinary but was enjoyable to watch throughout.

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Jul 22, 2008 3:00 AM

Apr 2007
I have a suspicion I'm gonna have to rewatch the series to work out exactly what happened there. Nice ending though, from what I understood.
Long suffering /m/subs translator
http://msubsreleases.wordpress.com/
Jul 22, 2008 4:30 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Yeah I probably have to rewatch it too.

About your questions, Deathfire: 1 is only an assumption but I don't think personas still exist. 2 is probably both things you mentioned, since creating man-made personas resulted in normal people having personas. Not sure about 3 and 4.

I liked the ending though, and the anime overall. 8/10

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 22, 2008 6:20 AM

Dec 2007
Nope. This anime just didn't do it for me, at all. And it has nothing to do with me liking Persona or Persona 3 in general - I only just beat P3 a couple months ago. The anime itself is just a huge mess.

Oh sure, there were a lot of parts that were good, but it didn't help save it. I don't care about any of the characters either quite frankly, or what messages they were trying to put out or the story they were telling.

The ending felt reassuring, but at the same time empty and without closure. It wasn't terrible, but its definitely far from great.

6/10
Jul 22, 2008 7:42 AM

Nov 2007
Liked this anime a lot. 8/10 Pretty strange ending though.

Jul 22, 2008 11:16 AM

May 2007
Decent ending. I'm giving the series a 7/10 because it has its moments, but I honestly had no clue what was going on during the majority of the series. Maybe a later rewatch will change my score.
Jul 22, 2008 1:56 PM
Dec 2007
Hmmm how come almost no problem is really resolved and few questions are answered and we all still liked this ending ? Hmmm I found it pretty interesting too and it was totally on par with the story, mysterious and more focused on the atmosphere than on the plot or the characters. Overall, it was a good to very good series, it should have deserved a 7,5 but seeing how the MAL system works, I can go with a 8/10.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 22, 2008 4:24 PM

Jan 2008
Anyone else feel jipped at the end? I did. It seemed like the last episode was poorly put together, confusing, and left a lot of loose ends. I was hoping the last episode would sort of redeem the whole series, but, it didn't. As a whole, I think it was.... a little better than ok, maybe okie-dokie? I don't know. It was difficult to get below the basic story line for me. The characters weren't any better. But the animation was good, and through it all, I thought the good over shadowed the bad. I give it 7.3/10.
Jul 22, 2008 4:28 PM

May 2008
Okay...someone will have to explain the ending to me, because I don't understand it at all. Would I understand it better if I play the game or something?

All I understood was that Jun came back and Yuki isn't with him anymore. That's pretty much it. But I'm glad Ryou decided to not leave Shin alone. This means Ayane's gone for good, right?

Mou, wakaranai.
Jul 23, 2008 5:22 PM
Dec 2007
WhisperedHope said:
Okay...someone will have to explain the ending to me, because I don't understand it at all. Would I understand it better if I play the game or something?

All I understood was that Jun came back and Yuki isn't with him anymore. That's pretty much it. But I'm glad Ryou decided to not leave Shin alone. This means Ayane's gone for good, right?

Mou, wakaranai.

No, the game won't explain anything.. Completed the game 3 times and I can say that much ^^

And yeah, it seems like Ayane's gone, though why did she apear @ the 'dark abyss pool thing' ?

So if I'm correct, Shin and Jun moved into the dorm with Megumi? ^.-
Jul 23, 2008 8:22 PM

Jan 2008
It was good, but I can't say I really understood it all... I actually preferred the two episodes leading up to this one more, but it was still very enjoyable. I was relatively happy over the ending, even if we didn't have all the answers we wanted...
In all, I actually liked the first half of the series more, when it seemed happier and a lot less confusing, but the second half was more dramatic and intense, which I really enjoyed as well. 7/10
Jul 24, 2008 7:07 PM

Jan 2007
Not sure what to think of the ending. it pretty much left me still confused, but w/e I enjoyed the series overall. gets a 7 from me.
Jul 28, 2008 4:42 AM

May 2008
It was confusingly good xD

I got a million and one unanswered Questions, but, I don't really want a second season.
It might just confuse things alot more, if that's even possible.
Jul 31, 2008 8:47 PM

Nov 2007
I really enjoyed the series but like the majority here I was dissapointed with the ending if it can so be considered an ending, since theire was nothing in it that made the series feel complete.

They should of took out the 2+ minutes of showing the house at the very end and added actual plot to answer all the lingering questions.

Oh and to whoever asked the question about Ayame and her apearing towards the end, I believe she lent Shin her powers and teleported him via her persona to where the battle was so he could protect their friends.
Sep 17, 2008 2:25 AM
Mar 2008
I glad that the two of them are all happy and safe, but wtf happened to everyone else and the town lmao. Last few eps were pushing a 10 out of me but this ending is keeping it at a 8/9. Great series but end really took a lot out of it for me.
Oct 23, 2008 7:38 PM
Apr 2008
it was a good series i have to admit.....i like the characters......the powers and the seriousness of the show and most of the events.....the story went pretty fast as it had a good story........the ending to me didnt have much of a resolution to me since it didnt answer questions..or left a feeling of wow and what a feeling...............it was good....im glad i watched it..................as all the question from the other posts are the question i wonder too but oh well.......i probably read the manga
Nov 14, 2008 6:34 AM

Aug 2007
I found this ending to be quite touching, actually. Sure they could've filled in many of the plotholes (right now the story still stands like swiss cheese to me) but at least I get the feeling that this ending has some value and they actually thought things through a bit. So I'm satisfied.
Nov 21, 2008 6:58 PM

Nov 2007
A series I wanted to like for its unique plot, interesting characters, and a nice soundtrack. But the pacing and the way the story pieced together really ruined it for me. Especially how some episodes seemed to come out of nowhere and disappear just as fast, adding to the story but almost like it was optional... Still a 7 out of 10 from me, but it could have been so much better.
Run with the fishes!
Aug 3, 2009 8:04 PM

Nov 2007
The end of the final episode doesn't really show repercussions of what Shin chose to do. Ryou wanted to have all the artificially created personas destroyed so that they won't be able to be used for bad stuff anymore,m right? Then shin didn't want to lose his brothers and, in my opinion, forsake the world for his desires by stopping Ryou's plan from happening. Therefore, Personas still exist and bad people can keep doing their little experiments on it.That's what I got out of this ending. And then after that there was nothing to show what happened to the "whale", personas, or people that were suffering from apathy or had their personalities switched. Everything after the part where Shin sliced the "Whale" in half made the whole show a waste of time.

P.S. I thought the "Whale" was a gathering of unconsciousness, as what's his name kept talking about the unconcious worl was getting out of whack and what not
Sep 19, 2009 11:36 PM
Feb 2009
w0w i cant accept this as the ending :(
Sep 22, 2009 1:08 PM

May 2009
too much questions were left
these whale feathers were playing on my nervs for whole time
n' in the end i liked how it was finished
Jan 9, 2010 8:50 PM

Oct 2009
What happened to Morimoto? I think you see her or her persona save the others from the "whale" persona and then gone. She doesn't make any appearance at all.

Confusing series, but I still liked it. 8/10
Feb 12, 2010 11:30 AM

Aug 2009
Only the last third part of this anime was interesting. But the end doesn't explain much.
Well, we should be used to. Many filler or short animes end hastly and leaving a lot of questions. Loveless, Tenjou Tenge and Sukisho are some examples.

But anyway, this part was well written. I enjoyed it, despite a lot of characters died, including Yamazaki-san. T_T

So, I leave a 7/10. I don't know if I'll play Persona games someday.
... Oh, wait, I tested the 1st issue, but I got stuck on the beginning. And it's supposes that I'm a fan of jRPGs. [embarrassed]
Mar 5, 2010 6:46 PM

Sep 2008
What a bad end, how could they mess with Mamiko Noto? She was just trying to make people happy.=[
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 16, 2010 1:00 PM
Oct 2007
It was a good end, i love it. I understand most of things, and take some things for p3, i just miss the Evoker there, but still. Just rewatch people, it was great. 10/10
Aug 19, 2010 1:12 PM

Jul 2009
I'm pretty annoyed that I am still confused, even after the final episode. I just can't seem to relate everything together, heck I don't even know what was the goal of Ayane. What happenned to Kujou/Komatsubara? He left with Jun and suddenly came back after? What did Morimoto have to do with Jun's Reappearance. And Yamazaki...Yamazaki! Why didn't she come back in the scenario?

Its a 6 for me, Ill give a 7 for the touchy ending and the overall concept that I loved, although most of it didn't make sense for me, gotta admit I really didn't understand what was going on since Sanada came in the picture...he's still awesome though! =D
Aug 31, 2010 4:38 AM

Aug 2010
guys, is yuki stil stuck in jun body?
Nov 17, 2010 8:44 AM
Aug 2010
Did I miss something? Was this a Gainax show?

Really was expecting more from the ending, it wasn't bad as such, I just felt the story up until then had been pacing itself for a big finale. Enjoyed the series as a whole but a lot of things were left vague intentionally here and I just don't think the writers or directors or whoever's responsible pulled it off as well as it could have been done. Amazing potential, poor execution.

That said, 7/10 for a stunning atmosphere, beautiful art and some of the best BGM I've heard in anime.

Need a break from this kind of arty, poignant stuff now though, my brain's beginning to hurt. Might go watch something mindless and quick with flashy colours to dull my senses for a bit. Fairy Tail next it is.
eviloysterNov 17, 2010 8:48 AM
Mar 6, 2011 7:35 PM

Aug 2010
Ok so all in all I loved this Series, the only thing I really hated was the romance bits. Dammit can't I watch something without romance?
Also the females left much to be desired, they were such boring shit's except for Megumi!
Glad that Shin and Ryou made up although I'd have loved it if they hugged...
Ryou is one of my favorite older brothers:)
Mar 29, 2011 6:23 AM

Oct 2010
No.
No.

I love Persona games, and I've been looking up and waiting patiently for something as awesome while watching this anime but I haven't seem to find any.
I do love how calm and hazy the atmosphere is, it tones your mood down and gives you the classic, familiar, 'lonely' Persona feeling. A lot of potentially lovable characters and a storyline that could just be awesome.

But why? Why it didn't turn out to be like so?
I still don't get the way the characters are thinking, I mean, take the example of Ryou; I can never understand why he didn't actually tell the truth to his siblings and send them home peacefully. I still don't get the essence of Kujou's experiment. I don't get why Akihiko suddenly appeared in the middle of the series. I don't get why Jun is back and Yuki isn't. I don't get the whale, even Kaname.

It's good to leave the audience wondering, but hey, isn't this a little too much? This last episode wasn't even blurting out enough.

There are some good and original moments that I'm sure will be carved into my memory, and the soundtrack is some serious masterpiece, but that didn't save the series. Dragging plot and half-done animation. Under developed characters. As a franchise fan I'm quite saddened by this. Lots of potential but poor execution. Poor storytelling.

Hmm..
Apr 3, 2011 3:57 PM

Apr 2011
I really loved Trinity Soul as a SMT Persona fan.
The anime has the dramatic/melancholic environment that I love and missed a little on Persona 4.
However, the last episode wasn't good as I expected, but it's ok. I'll just try to immagine what happens next.

10 for the anime and 7 only for this episode.
May 10, 2011 9:23 PM
Jul 2010
awww~ Jun's using 'aniki' and 'ore' instead of 'nii-chan' and 'boku' ^^ he's growing up!

Yeah that was a really weird ending and it left a lot of loose strings ><
Jul 22, 2011 10:37 PM
Jul 2011
sorry me late

1) do people still have persona's now?
i think yes, with shin brave decision to save jun, ayane stop hating poeople and personas

2) Was the whale pissed off because of Ayane's dad creating man made Persona's or was it pissed off because normal people had personas?
she hate being used about this persona stuff, and also hate for people using lost soul (persona) for their own benefit

3) What was the Whale? People disappear into it and we still have no clue what it is or what it looks like or if its man made.
i think a whale is world that shin (and other conscious people) saw in their mind after losing their soul, caused by losing persona or eaten soul. and ayane persona is just a persona who ate others personas, i think.

4) Was Shin's sword made from his parents strong will to correct what they had done wrong or was it created by something else? We hear Ryou say something about the sword and then we hear something else about Shin's strong will..bla bla. I wish they wouldn't dance around things like this.
shin became angry when he see his parent in danger, then with his will (fulfilled by his persona) take the pure hate hearted ayane persona's bone (i think) and then slash it.
hoping that will stop their parent from danger.

i loooooooooooooooove all persona and shin megami tensei manga, anime, and game. and i am glad this one idea that chosen to become anime. its realy expressing all other persona idea, its like pure poem made into a moving scene.

looooooove this, vote for the best :D
Jul 23, 2011 12:37 AM
Dec 2007
I find it funny how many non-canon things were stuffed in here. Like "growing too old to summon a persona" (you can use it as long as it still reflects your subconscious, no arbitrary age limit exists) or the whole Persona eating Persona thing (Persona's are tamed Shadows... if they start eating other people's subconcious they would be devolving back to their Shadow form). Also, Persona's aren't souls... they are just a part of the human psyche that the Persona-user has managed to bring under control. P4 brings this idea more clarity by showing the process of Shadows transforming into Personae after being acknowledged.

Aug 1, 2012 3:27 AM

Jul 2011
So underrated. Started slowly but from the middle has become very exciting this show.

8/10
Apr 13, 2013 9:12 PM

Mar 2013
The ending.. em..I have to say this.. "what dafuq did i just watch?" This anime lack of explanation, i have no solid idea what is this "whale" thing throughout the series. I am annoyed with Shin for the last several episodes, so screw him. I like Ryou much better than Shin.

7/10, completed the series in 2 days, this is one of those that once you start, you will keep watching till the end.
Apr 23, 2015 4:23 AM
Mar 2009
My opinion for this series varies.

I would say 6/10 overall, 8/10 for people who like the whole Persona universe and are willing to go an extra mile to understand it.

I think that the anime didn't make best use of the medium, but if you read the manga or have played the games, then it would help fill in some of the blanks.

It could have been more engaging, by doing a few edits and even something as simple as a one-minute recap or flashback around the start of each episode would help to emphasize the key points. For written media, those things aren't necessary but for a visual media, I think they help the pace of a story with a complex story.

I mean, the story at times literally transcends time and space, so, it helps to put things back in point form and emphasize the key points. Asking the view to do it makes it more of a chore than an enjoyment.

Overall they were positives than negatives in the presentation, but it could be great, and considering what the franchise and team are capable of, I can't help but be disappointed that they didn't do just a little more to consider the casual viewing audience, rather than the reading audience or someone who was watching it with a very high degree of focus.

The series actually left me feeling more frustrated with the pacing than being able to enjoy the wonderful backstory and sidestory, and how it fleshed out the Persona franchise/world a lot more, lots of little things like how they used rumours in yet a different way (that has been a big thing in P1, P2, and the mainstream megaten series), and of course the Persona 3 intersection....

I would like to praise the series for the concepts, even if they are hard to get to, so that's why I say again, 8/10 for someone who can look past the flaws or get into it as part of the larger franchise, and also consider the implications from a Jungian philosophy or more generally, the connection between the collective consciousness/unconscious/sub-conscious and the various sub-selves within each human being.
Jun 5, 2015 11:24 PM
Jan 2015
ainky said:
So underrated. Started slowly but from the middle has become very exciting this show.

8/10

Indeed. But what expect from a shithole full of casuals that places 6 gintama series on top10 rank and rate that You Lie in April garbage as 8.93 overall? There's no hope for quality here. Not at all.
Dec 15, 2017 7:23 PM

Jul 2013
I was really enjoying this for 25 episodes but this ending was just... I don't know. It feels like it was building up to something amazing and this wasn't it. Oh well.

I loved the humor in the show though lol
Jan 10, 2018 6:11 PM
Apr 2016
Hard to tell what was real and what was not. Even now I still don't exactly know what the whale is.
Jan 31, 2018 8:57 AM

Nov 2013
Wow, what a boring experience... I can't believe i survived it.
Half of the episodes were useless and unbearably boring fillers.
The ending was anticlimactic and unimpressive to say the least.
The show had some potential but never realised it and has become shitty borefest.
GvendolineJan 31, 2018 10:42 AM
Jan 25, 2019 8:02 AM

Apr 2018
The announcement of Joker from Persona 5 being a DLC character in Smash Bros Ultimate brought me to take intereset in the Persona universe. The games are unlikely to be what I like, but the anime could be. So I decided to watch every Persona anime and movies that exist, and I naturally began with Persona Trinity Soul, the first one.
And what a non-enthusastic start.

I watched the 26 episodes, but I would be unable to summarize the plot. I almost didn't understand anything. I never knew a series with such bad writing. Nothing is clearly explained, a lot of things happen in random order, nothing is truly clear... Whenever I started an episode, I had to check if I didn't chose the wrong one in the order, as almost every episode starts with random stuff with no connection with the previous one.

Some characters were cool, but that's all.
4.5/10 for the effort.
May 31, 2020 12:24 PM

Apr 2020
Pacing was way too slow. What happened to Ryou anyway? I think the only episode I liked was the dream Shin was having of what could have been happy life for him, his family and Eiko. Also, did Shin like Morimoto in the first place?
Jul 29, 2020 2:09 PM

Jul 2015
Silly characters still think whales have feathers while whales are clearly insects smh.... Good portion of this series was boring to sit through and pretty confusing, they really should've shortened the episode amount and put more focus on main plot. Didn't really felt persona related in my opinion, especially one set in the future of Persona 3 where the only things similiar are Apathy syndrome, your man Akihiko and some characters being similiar (e.g. TaKuro felt like a Junpei clone)

Jul 21, 2021 8:59 PM
Dec 2017
it was one really boring af show but still really intereting.
Disapeared_GhostNov 15, 2021 4:28 PM

Apr 20, 2023 11:42 PM
Apr 2022
Show Rate Meter Guide  - (5 Great _ 4 Good _ 3 Fine _ 2 Not Good _ 1 Bad).(dismal are sometimes needed)
[Story] - 3.5  
[Art/Animation] - 3.5
[Sound/Music] - 3
[M-Character] - 4
[S-Character] - 4
[Enjoyment] - 3
[Overall] - 3

This was an interesting watch never played the video games of this, but the anime got me to understand what persona is about. A lot of horrible and sad moments the cast faced through out the show because of throes' things called persona. The ending was fine it was more about moving on with their life's.     
CcCharlesApr 22, 2023 2:58 AM
Oct 23, 2023 11:10 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Yeah...that was REALLY confusing, I kinda like what they tried to do but it felt too messy in the end, it's different from Persona's universe as a whole anyway, I mainly just liked seeing Akihiko there xD
Feb 9, 11:29 PM
Jul 2020
what i understood from this mess of lunacy for a show is ...
more people have personas now .. they call it shadow extraction, and it gives you such a HIGH, it's better than sex and drugs combined!
but people just seem to understand how dangerous forcing a "persona" is ...
watched 6 episodes, and enjoyed the awakening even though it wasn't anything special, then spent 20 episodes having completely lost it ...
what i understood was "the story will show you events from different character views..
our tomboy read headed nuisance made watching the show for me a torture! and the nonstop "whale feather" got so much annoying by the 10th episode!
if you wish to meet Akihiko, just skip to the last episode .. all persona fights last for 30 seconds, and nothing worth mentioning happens in them
the blue haired girl's addiction went off limits, and the revelations she's an android is extreme barren and tasteless.
frankly enough.. the show lacks a plot, lacks taste, illogical, pointless, you'll enter it wasting 24 minutes on 26 episodes .. wasting ~ 10.4 hours of your life watching literally nothing, and understanding absolutely nothing
i don't get why people are giving it 7 or 8 .. by the 6th episode i officially dropped it, and by 10th episode i began fast forwarding through the episodes, there is literally nothing to watch.. other than barren persona fights.. there IS NOTHING to watch i'd rather watch a summary that explains the show than rewatch it ..
it feels like i am insulting myself by watching it!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Persona -trinity soul- Episode 25 Discussion

cyruz - Jul 12, 2008

21 by Ashhk »»
Oct 23, 2023 10:02 AM

Poll: » Persona -trinity soul- Episode 24 Discussion

cyruz - Jun 26, 2008

28 by Ashhk »»
Oct 22, 2023 9:50 AM

Poll: » Persona -trinity soul- Episode 23 Discussion

nehnehneji - Jun 14, 2008

24 by Ashhk »»
Oct 22, 2023 8:11 AM

Poll: » Persona -trinity soul- Episode 22 Discussion

DeathfireD - Jun 5, 2008

22 by Ashhk »»
Oct 21, 2023 11:26 AM

Poll: » Persona -trinity soul- Episode 21 Discussion

cyruz - Jun 3, 2008

15 by Ashhk »»
Oct 21, 2023 11:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.