Forum Settings
Forums

Your Thoughts on MAL's Exclusion of Non-Asian Animation

New
Do you think MAL should include all animated works?
Yes
26.2%
No
60.5%
I'm fine either way
13.3%
294 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Sep 28, 2011 1:15 AM

Sep 2010
@KyuuAL

Well Philippines is an American Colony for 50 years, about 5 - 10 million Filipinos are living in the US right now, even after the Philippines are declared an independent country 60+ years ago (or 110+ years depending on what country we declared independence) American culture have affected Philippine culture too much. The Filipino's 2nd language is "English", we love American clothes, music, movies, even now a lot of people here are trying to mimic American way of life (at least the richer people) etc....
GhostalkerSep 28, 2011 1:26 AM
Sep 28, 2011 1:16 AM

Feb 2011
Spongebob? Spiderman? Phineas and ferb?

Sep 28, 2011 1:31 AM

Aug 2008
Ghostalker said:
@KyuuAL

Well Philippines is an American Colony for 50 years, about 5 - 10 million Filipinos are living in the US right now, even after the Philippines are declared an independent country 60+ years ago (or 110+ years depending on what country we declared independence)

On top of that, when I visited the country again 5 years ago... my relatives took me a mall. And I was like... WHOA... it's like the USA in here. XD

Ghostalker said:
American culture have affected Philippine culture too much. The Filipino's 2nd language is "English", we love American clothes, music, movies, even now a lot of people here are trying to mimic American way of life (at least the richer people) etc....

Yea, it's quite the rave. I can tell even more as my parents usually watch a Filipino channel on TV.

Now, here I am. An Asian (yea, Filipino) living in the USA -- trying to think somewhat differently than... well... what you normally hear.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Sep 28, 2011 1:54 AM
Sep 2011
TheSouthAzn said:
The current definition of "anime" refers to Japanese animations, and therefore this site chooses to only allow cataloging animations made in Japan (and China & Korea). But what if we broaden this definition, and let MAL encompass all animations -- who cares about the country of origination?

It's kind of silly, like saying that a piece of paper shouldn't be called a piece of paper if it's manufactured in America, rather than Japan. Take Avatar: The Last Airbender. What makes it so different from Japanese animations? The art style is perfectly the same. Yes, there's no Japanese language, but many of us watch dubs anyway, correct? Or maybe I'm just griping that I can't add some of my favorite animations here, like Code Lyoko, Avatar, Disney's Mulan, etc.

What do you think?

EDIT:
A few are referring to the site's title in dissenting arguments. Well, it's not MyAnimeMangaList either, is it? Why do we also allow manga, or Korean and Chinese animations if the definition is strictly for Japanese? There's really no need to touch the site's name.

I do get why many of you wouldn't like it though. It has to do with the current state of western animation, and how almost everything there is marketed toward far younger audiences. So having more kids here than the horde there already is (sorry =P) would suck.

But it still doesn't feel right, really. Yes, we have to draw the line somewhere, but why draw the line between works that only primarily differ in native language and site of creation?

Yes I agree.

You shouldn't discriminate between animations just because of its country of origin.
Sep 28, 2011 2:11 AM

Sep 2010
Proponents of including all animated works in MAL can also do what Xinil did years ago...create a website that is MAL today.

In the FAQ, it is clear that the admins decided that Avatar is not an anime by their standard, I guess the proponents of including all animated works here doesn't read those basics about this website before they signed-in to access this social networking site.

In Madoka Magica
Sep 28, 2011 3:54 AM

Dec 2010
I might be wrong but I doubt the growing database to be the cause of all the lag and mysql problems. It's more likely the increasing amount of users sending lots of requests simultaneously to the server are causing this. So just adding cartoons probably wouldn't change much, but the additional people that then would want to join.

Ultimately though, websites like these want to attract more users. Once you've saturated a market you need to expand and offer more to attract users from other fandoms. Which in turn increase advertisment revenues and thus allow further expansions. But I suspect the current administration doesn't want to take the risks and rather leave things as they are, which is a shame since this has the potential for more.

Han-yuu said:
I want my manga SCANLATION GROUPS on MAL, so i don't need to go to bakaupdates again and again to check which group is scanlating this series. I'm second to want VN's here and also VN translation groups. It will help me to check something new and unique.

If site is called AnimeList while manga is here, and they're really going to expand database, I wouldn't mind a section for J-K-Dramas (what's problem if they're different media. at-least i can add them in my list). In short if you guys don't want to go on other sites to check your cartoon, i also want things here and If they add everything then i really won't mind your cartoons.

See, you can imagine including these things, because they relate to the underlying idea of this site, having the stuff you care about in a list, rating it, discussing it and more importantly discovering more of it. Expanding this to media directly connected with each other can only improve this idea. And it's the same with animation from other countries. You might never look at them, but maybe with the help of this site, eventually you discover a show you love that otherwise would never appeared to you.

Even people that watch anime for years, with hundreads of shows on their lists, still discover hidden gems. So don't close yourself off because there're some black sheep. I also refuse to watch Family Guy, just as I don't watch Naruto, yet I won't deny the people that like it or condem anime as a whole.
Sep 28, 2011 4:43 AM
May 2011
MAL is dedicated to japanese animation, and I think it should stay that way.
Sep 28, 2011 6:21 AM

May 2009
Because this is a site for ANIME not just animation. You'll have to go somewhere else for that.
<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/angelfire892&sclick=1">
Being sane is over rated :)
Sep 28, 2011 7:38 AM

Nov 2009
thekaas said:
MAL is dedicated to japanese animation, and I think it should stay that way.

Agree.
No need to add for other non-Japanese stuff. Anime is just only refer to Japanese Animation.
Cartoons and anime are different. Although they have both in common: animation.
If they are the same, so what is the point of having 2 words: cartoon and anime?
Sep 28, 2011 8:01 AM

Jun 2009
Holy shit, this thread is still going on and we're still arguing in the same circles.

to Beatnik, Kyuual and everyone in favor of anime-flavored animation:

Come up with a definition of anime-flavored animation that is not subjective. The admins came up with "from Japan" because that was the only definition that could realistically be enforced.

Until then, you don't have a leg to stand on. Your constant cries of "weeaboo" are nothing more than irritating and rather hypocritical trolling.

to everyone wanting a completely all-inclusive MAL:

Look at the the top of your browser. You can see that you are currently on MyAnimeList.net. Until the anime-flavored proponents can come up with a suitable alternate definition and convince the admins, the anime here will be Japanese animation. You say that that isn't valid because manga is included?

Guess what manga is.

That's right: Japanese comics. And Japanese light novels.

In short, for this site, priorities for expansion are all the things that are regularly adapted into anime, not all things that are the same medium as anime. Hence the name, MyAnimeList.

If you want a MyAnimationList, then fund it.
DrHouseSep 28, 2011 8:18 AM
Sep 28, 2011 9:30 AM

Dec 2010
Names can be changed, it's actually just a banner and registering a new web address. But it's totaly irrelevant whether the admins are going to do that or not. The question is: why are the users against it? You come up with lag and what not, but I think you will always be against it for some artificial reason.
Sep 28, 2011 11:27 AM

Jan 2008
Beatnik said:
Do some of you guys have a problem with http://www.imdb.com? Does browsing that site make you incredibly frustrated and tear your hair out? It's the most popular database on the internet, and despite the I in the title meaning 'movies', it's incredibly popular because it lists EVERYTHING.

I think I was drunk when I wrote this, I meant the 'm' in the title, lol.

Ghostalker said:
The X-Men you are talking about are produced my Madhouse Studios, not the x-men from the 1990s.

I know that but you cant get more American than X-Men, and yet it's on MAL simply because a Japanese staff worked on it in Japan. Back down to race and location again, eh? What's gonna happen when the water levels sink Japan? Does that mean anime ceases to exist?

KyuuAL said:
Beatnik said:
It's almost akin to what foreigners go through when they move to Japan, a symptom called 'My Japan'. It's not yours, it's mine! My Japan!

It goes down to that extreme?! Holy cow!

Yeah I'm not even joking, it's a well known effect of living in Japan, you start to get very arrogant and have a low opinion of new visitors to Japan and keep schooling them on how things are, as if you've come from the line of Tokugawa or something, it's very obnoxious behaviour. Thankfully it never happened to me, though I wasn't there long enough I guess.

DrHouse said:
[to everyone wanting a completely all-inclusive MAL:

Look at the the top of your browser. You can see that you are currently on MyAnimeList.net. Until the anime-flavored proponents can come up with a suitable alternate definition and convince the admins, the anime here will be Japanese animation. You say that that isn't valid because manga is included?

Guess what manga is.

Um, I've got bad news for you buddy. MAL is full of Korean and Chinese 'manga'. Explain that one please. Oh right, it's because despite the fact that they're Korean and Chinese, they're heavily influenced by Japanese manga that they're allowed to be on MAL.

This reasoning doesnt extend to animation for some strange reason. Your perfect utopia of a database is now soiled and inconsistent!
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 28, 2011 1:19 PM

Sep 2009
Beatnik said:
Ghostalker said:
The X-Men you are talking about are produced my Madhouse Studios, not the x-men from the 1990s.

I know that but you cant get more American than X-Men, and yet it's on MAL simply because a Japanese staff worked on it in Japan. Back down to race and location again, eh? What's gonna happen when the water levels sink Japan? Does that mean anime ceases to exist?

DrHouse said:
[to everyone wanting a completely all-inclusive MAL:

Guess what manga is.

Um, I've got bad news for you buddy. MAL is full of Korean and Chinese 'manga'. Explain that one please. Oh right, it's because despite the fact that they're Korean and Chinese, they're heavily influenced by Japanese manga that they're allowed to be on MAL.

This reasoning doesnt extend to animation for some strange reason. Your perfect utopia of a database is now soiled and inconsistent!

As said before, MAL's target audience are anime fans. Anime fans tend to like manga(and other asian comics) so it's perfectly reasonable to have them along side. Now, the target audience of MAL sadly doesn't include western animation fans. As the poll can clearly show.

You should know that any service is built with a certain target audience in mind. Changing it all of a sudden(especially with as popular service as this) would be just stupid. Once you have successful service you aren't just going to toss majority of your users way to accommodate 10% of users. Not worth the trouble, at best making an alternative site would work.

Why don't you go to turn TVTropes in to a Wikipedia clone? Oh, that's right, TVtropes is doing fucking great with the thing it does now.

This thread has turned into ad nauseam.
Sep 28, 2011 1:21 PM

Aug 2008
DrHouse said:
Holy shit, this thread is still going on and we're still arguing in the same circles.

to Beatnik, Kyuual and everyone in favor of anime-flavored animation:

Come up with a definition of anime-flavored animation that is not subjective. The admins came up with "from Japan" because that was the only definition that could realistically be enforced.

Until then, you don't have a leg to stand on. Your constant cries of "weeaboo" are nothing more than irritating and rather hypocritical trolling.

Oh, I wish a nickel for every time someone tells me to do something like that.

Art by its very nature is subjective. On top of that, the English language is not as definitive as we may think.

Art definitions are subject to the "whims" of its time. Like I said before, the term became originally defined off of Japanimation to separate Japanese type animation from Western/American animation, at a time when it is American animation dominating US airwaves. Then it took a good 15-20 years for anime to finally dominate animation itself. Maybe by this point, the American industry is start to "get it"; maybe.

The "Japan only" definition is breakable. Anime is an English defined word. If you don't agree, then you can look at how the Japanese define it. They have a much more logical method of defining words in their language. As Americans, we like to take words and define them according to our will. Japanese have "anime" for all animation; Americans said, "screw that". Well, I decided to go against it when I considered the remote possibility of "anime produced outside Japan". Sure, there's production outsourced in Korea; but I forgot how that got discredited.

Then consider this. As much as the Japanese industry is producing one series after another, many of them are fallling into stereotypical genres: the harems, the vampire stuff, etc. Imagine the potential for MORE story archetypes when you include the more of the Western perspective. And no, I'm not talking about the Japanese view of Western-type stories like Read or Die or Code Geass.

Regardless, credit will always remain in Japan for developing this animation form. Yes, from now on, I'll use "form" instead of "style". So if you want a definition of anime from me, it could go something like this:

NOTE: I will not deny much of the things you see in anime have come from Japan. But that doesn't mean anyone else can't copy it.

Beatnik said:
Um, I've got bad news for you buddy. MAL is full of Korean and Chinese 'manga'. Explain that one please.

Aww hell. We have a Korean anime in there!
http://myanimelist.net/anime/9367/Freezing
KyuuALSep 28, 2011 1:37 PM
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

Sep 28, 2011 1:49 PM

Jul 2010
KyuuAL said:
Aww hell. We have a Korean anime in there!
http://myanimelist.net/anime/9367/Freezing

Well. Thats not Korean Anime. Not to mention Freezing is manga running in Japanese comic magazine. Author is Korean though, if that's make it Korean anime then we have american anime like hero man, x-men, blade etc.

Shin Angyo Onshi is korean manhwa which adapted to anime movie by Japanese studio.

I watched a chinese short animation Kung-fu Cooking Girls about a month ago. it's not in MAL database. don't know if its not allowed or someone didn't bother to add it.
Han-yuuSep 28, 2011 2:07 PM
Sep 28, 2011 1:53 PM

Aug 2008
Han-yuu said:
Shin Angyo Onshi is korean manhwa which adapted to anime movie by Japanese studio.

Yet, there exist things adapted by a Japanese studio; and it is still not considered anime.

So, keep the inconsistencies coming please.

Sep 28, 2011 2:07 PM

Jul 2010
KyuuAL said:
Yet, there exist things adapted by a Japanese studio; and it is still not considered anime.

For example?
Sep 28, 2011 2:13 PM

Aug 2008
Han-yuu said:
KyuuAL said:

For example?

Thundercats 2011... by Japanese studio... 4*C. Yes, Warner Bros. is involved; but they're not the ones who animated it.

And maybe, to be gracious, I'll throw this in for you -- since none of you have. Direction. Maybe, just maybe. The director has to be Japanese. LOL.

'cause I'm looking at Freezing. OK. The ORIGINAL material comes from a Korean. But, the production director is Japanese.

So AHA! Eureeka! Anime has to be produced by a Japanese director!!!!!!

XD

===

EDIT:

Oh wait...
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/tekkon-kinkreet
The director to that one is American.

Sep 28, 2011 2:24 PM

Jul 2010
KyuuAL said:
Thundercats 2011... by Japanese studio... 4*C. Yes, Warner Bros. is involved; but they're not the ones who animated it.

And maybe, to be gracious, I'll throw this in for you -- since none of you have. Direction. Maybe, just maybe. The director has to be Japanese. LOL.

Director you mean Episode Director? I can see Japanese staff in Episode direction and Animation direction.

Maybe MyAnimeList Staff is following Wikipedia for Including series in database.
Han-yuuSep 28, 2011 2:30 PM
Sep 28, 2011 2:33 PM
Sep 2010
Why does it matter that much that MAL excludes those titles?
It could be that only a small handful of people actually have a complaint for these exclusions being here.

This seems like a pretty stupid arguement to begin with, maybe the MAL creators want it this way, after all it is their website they made and are maintaining. If you have such a problem with it go make your own anime list type website and include this crap that isnt really anime if it bothers you so much.

From what I understand the general anime public are fine with how the site is excluding those titles, which I myself also dont consider anime, and its only a small number who do. Why do all the work of adding in those titles / mangas etc for that small % of people who complain about it?

Nothing is gonna change, from what i can tell its only the same 10 people complaining about it anyways.
Sep 28, 2011 3:03 PM

May 2011
Thanks, "Kyuual," for showing the My Little Pony video. I was wondering what it was like. It looks cute, but not kawaii, if you know what I mean. XD

Back on topic . . .

You are all in a vicious cycle here. Every question has already been and will continue to be answered repeatedly and completely. At the end of the day:

When opinions differ, majority rules.
SeijurouOct 1, 2011 5:37 PM
"Giving one's name to someone about to die is meaningless." - Hiko Seijuurou
"There are no miracles in this world; there are only accidents, inevitabilities, and what you are going to do. That is it." - Himura Yuu
"A sword is a weapon. Swordsmanship is learning how to kill. No pretty words you say will change that." - Hiko Seijuurou
Sep 28, 2011 3:14 PM
Mar 2011
for anime to be anime it has to Wtitten by Some who is Japanese .

Before Foul is Cried, China and Japan While they May have split up to use loose Terms in Idels of Govenece but they still have a Large Link on the basis of cluture and Confusian or Taoist Ideals of the Mind .

so calling Animation made in China anime while Wrong on many techincal Aspects, but in Aspects of Culture and Schools of thought that the studois work under there stll very tied .

so i can under Stand why animation made on the other side og the Yellow sea could be called anime.
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 28, 2011 3:18 PM

Jan 2008
Seijurou said:
You are all in a vicious cycle here. Every question has already been and will continue to be answered repeatedly and completely. At the end of the day:

When opinions differ, majority rules.[

Yeah, but it's what makes this place a community, constant debate. Just because we go in circles, it's no reason to shut the thread down or anything. Maybe something will happen in pop culture at a later date*, then we can all jump back into this thread to discuss it.

* something like, oh I don't know, My Little Pony by Production IG...
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 28, 2011 3:24 PM

Sep 2010
AAAtierTripfag said:

You shouldn't discriminate between animations just because of its country of origin.

It's called categorizing. Categorizing is only to do with inanimate objects, animals, and people in order to define and understand what makes one inanimate object different from another. American and other non-Japanese Companies in the entertainment business do it all the time by creating and labeling shows, when they call a show anime-styled they acknowledge that anime as we understand it is different from the typical form of animation we make.

Art by its very nature is subjective. On top of that, the English language is not as definitive as we may think.

How much one likes art is subjective but whether or not a piece of art is a Rembrandt or follows the school of abstract-ism are very definite classifications that most languages including English are able to distinguish.

Sep 28, 2011 3:32 PM

Mar 2007
As far as I can tell, everything this topic is about and all discussions related to it are answered here (the Anime DB Guidelines link).

So if you still have problems/questions/etc. after reading all that, reply there or (better yet), take it up with a DB Admin.

You've come a long way, baby.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 8 hours ago

17 by Catalano »»
54 seconds ago

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 8 hours ago

7 by Dauphine »»
2 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 2 hours ago

18 by TeBaTe »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you have any favorite opening or ending animations?

RobertBobert - 33 minutes ago

4 by Vendicator »»
8 minutes ago

» Cutest Shoujo Main Protagonist

lucaspatrick - Jan 8

49 by 707supremacist »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.