Forum Settings
Forums

Bothered because of lack of sound, while reading manga?

New
Sep 19, 2011 4:48 PM

Aug 2011
I just started reading manga for the first time this evening. I couldn't get enough of Welcome to the NHK and so I read a couple of chapters. But it just feels so different without any sound. I really loved the voice acting in the anime so I sort of miss the voices (especially Misaki's her voice was so sweet :3), aswell as the music. (I solve this problem by continuisly playing the OST's while reading.)

So my question is: Are more people bothered by this, especially when you start reading manga for the first time?

And if so, do you get used to there being no sound?
Sep 19, 2011 4:52 PM

Mar 2011
I tend to just make it up in my head as I read(the sound they make when they talk and whatnot) it as well as the type of character they have, it keeps me occupied even more XD
Courtesy of Paul
Sep 19, 2011 5:00 PM

Sep 2009
Whenever I read anything, I listen to music. But as for missing the voices, you'll get used to it. It's bothering you more because you watched the anime version first. Once you let yourself get sucked into the manga though, you won't even notice. Or you'll just imagine the voices the way you want them to be.
Sep 19, 2011 5:27 PM

Apr 2009
I just imagine the voices the way I want them (actually, I've discovered that if I read the manga first, then I'm bothered by how different the anime voices are from how I imagined them). As for no OST, well, I never really pay attention to that in the first place. Play some music instead.
Sep 19, 2011 5:33 PM

Jun 2010
I'm used to not hearing anything
but like others say, I listen to music the whole time
and you also get to guess at which voice actor will play the characters if it's been announced which is fun
Sep 19, 2011 5:38 PM

May 2011
One of the reasons why I prefer manga over anime is music.
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Sep 19, 2011 5:50 PM

Sep 2011
i turn on music cause i honestly cant stand the silence, i dont even pay attention at all tot he music half the time i just want some sound of some sorts

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 19, 2011 7:15 PM

Mar 2009
Sweetpea said:
I just imagine the voices the way I want them (actually, I've discovered that if I read the manga first, then I'm bothered by how different the anime voices are from how I imagined them).

Oh man, you and me both! Edward Elric's dub voice was not what I had in mind for Yoshimori of Kekkaishi, like furthest thing form it, when I hear it, I got really confused and as a result ignore the anime (despite having music by Taku Iwasaki, one of the composers I actually pay attention to). I prefer being able to come up with my own voices honestly, to me, they're always right!

Hmm, now as for music, I don't like it when I'm concentrating on reading, that's one thing my brain can't multitask very well. I don't mind not having it at all, though I could see it being a jarring transition. I started off with both around the same time so I've never had that problem.
Sep 19, 2011 7:18 PM

Mar 2011
No, not at all. When I read manga I don't really imagine voices in my head, instead I read more into the scenario and whatever's going on.
Sep 19, 2011 7:22 PM

Jul 2011
The lack of sound doesn't bother me at all. I just listen to music all the time so it isn't to quiet.
Sep 19, 2011 8:14 PM

Sep 2011
Not really, though I sometimes say the lines out loud to myself, if I'm really into it. But, I don't think that's motivated by a lack of sound.
Sincerely, (and possibly, with much ferocity),

zoroken
Sep 19, 2011 9:47 PM

Aug 2011
I listen to music while reading manga, so, never noticed about "silence".
Recommend you doing the same, will really help.

» Escapism.

Sep 19, 2011 10:14 PM

Jan 2011
Then......does the silence bother you when you real a novel?

Like Harry Potter for instance. After the first few movies came out and the books were also still coming out. Did it bother you that the new book had no sound?

For me the answer is no. And I take manga the same way. They are just a novel with the description already made for you. All you have to do is read the words in quotation marks.
Sep 19, 2011 10:32 PM

Mar 2009
It doesn't bother me. I focus on the words.
Sep 20, 2011 1:32 PM

May 2011
Yeah, a little.

I just imagine the voices in my head as I read, but it's the background music, or in this case, lack of.

Either I'll just think something up, or I'll play some other anime OSTs in the background. It really helps me get the mood of the chapter if I pick the right thing to listen to.

If I think about it, though, it's kinda weird. I mean, I've listened to Clannad: After Story's OST when reading some chapters of Deadman Wonderland. XD
Sep 20, 2011 1:44 PM
Mar 2011
muiisc my dear friend
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 20, 2011 1:50 PM

Sep 2010
Not really
Sep 20, 2011 2:45 PM
Aug 2011
If I read a manga after I've seen the anime, the voices just come naturally. If it's a manga that has no anime or if it's the first the manga I read I make up my own voices. As for the music, when I read manga I always listen to some music on winamp. Now I'm reading to Jiraishin and listening to Rammstein (not really background music though)
Sep 20, 2011 3:36 PM

Jul 2011
keasbo said:
If I read a manga after I've seen the anime, the voices just come naturally.

aww.. whenever i read manga after the anime i get bothered because their voices are missing :/
The Internet is a very bad place, you should never go there.
Sep 20, 2011 4:54 PM

Jul 2011
I usually create my own voices according to the characteristics of the person. Usually the voices come from past voice actors in animes. The typical macho guy/grandpa/tomboy/uncle sounding voice you would find in anime I insert into the character.

What I hate is when I read and complete a manga, then the manga gets animated later on and they choose horrible voice actors for the roles.
Sep 20, 2011 6:17 PM
Sep 2011
I actually prefer the silence manga because you can basically create the perfect voice for the character. It's always fun to see what you imagined the character sounding like compared to the anime voice actors.
Sep 21, 2011 2:08 AM

Nov 2008
It's part of the appeal for me. Making up voices isn't a problem so if I can find some music that fits the atmosphere, then I get enjoy two of my hobbies at once. And if I can't think of a match, that's just one more excuse to get more kinds of music, which is always good.
But soundtracks are the last thing I wanna play. They're specifically meant to create the right mood at the right time and it just feels jarring when the wrong track plays.
Sep 21, 2011 3:49 PM
Aug 2011
Absolutely not. Just like others already said, I "personalize" my manga reading experience with it's own sets of sounds and voices... it makes the experience even better than watching anime sometimes.
Sep 21, 2011 8:22 PM

Apr 2009
i usually listen to musik but sometimes i forget and just have the silence.
Sep 22, 2011 1:30 AM
Apr 2011
Aoishiro said:
Absolutely not. Just like others already said, I "personalize" my manga reading experience with it's own sets of sounds and voices... it makes the experience even better than watching anime sometimes.

Yeah, but when I read bakuman and after that I watch it, the voices in the anime were all wrong
Sep 22, 2011 11:13 AM

Nov 2007
Derpyderp said:
I just started reading manga for the first time this evening. I couldn't get enough of Welcome to the NHK and so I read a couple of chapters. But it just feels so different without any sound. I really loved the voice acting in the anime so I sort of miss the voices (especially Misaki's her voice was so sweet :3), aswell as the music. (I solve this problem by continuisly playing the OST's while reading.)

So my question is: Are more people bothered by this, especially when you start reading manga for the first time?

And if so, do you get used to there being no sound?

Haven't you ever read a book? It's the same thing.
Sep 22, 2011 11:15 AM

Oct 2009
No, never had that trouble.

But then again, when I got properly into Anime and Manga, I read Manga before I decided on watching Anime.
Sep 22, 2011 11:22 AM
Sep 2011
As some people said, just listen to music.

The OST really helps, but I usually listen to any other kind of music that I like.
Sep 22, 2011 11:47 PM

Jul 2011
Not at all... I actually prefer reading in silence. I don't really focus too much on what the characters would sound like -- I mean, I am reading a book after all! I only imagine what a character would sound like if there's some indication given in the story, and this usually only happens when I'm reading novels.
... and EAT IT !!
Sep 24, 2011 5:57 PM

Sep 2011
i started reading manga after watching anime coz it takes a while for it to be released here in the UK. not having the voices and music was irritating at first but the manga lets ur imagination to all the work so for me the manga is much better then the anime.
especially the english dubbed anime for some reason i'd rather read subs and listen to japanees then the english dubb. i'm reading Welcome to the NHK now aswell its great!!
Sep 24, 2011 6:28 PM

Nov 2008
Uh, no. If you've been reading books (comics, novels, etc.) for years, reading manga shouldn't be any different. Most people have a good enough imagination that they can automatically place sound effects and voices when they start reading. The only people I think would struggle with there being no sound are those who haven't read a lot.
Sep 25, 2011 2:38 AM

May 2011
I don't mind since I get distracted easily so I dont need any sound to concentrate on what i'm reading .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Sep 28, 2011 3:01 PM

Jan 2010
I guess you just think it feels weird because you watched the anime first... But this shouldn't be the case. If you have any amount of imagination, then it usually gives voice, accents, personalities, and atmosphere to whatever you're reading...
Sep 28, 2011 4:44 PM

Jul 2008
Sweetpea said:
I just imagine the voices the way I want them (actually, I've discovered that if I read the manga first, then I'm bothered by how different the anime voices are from how I imagined them).
Ah, this happens to me a lot. I was watching the PV for Kimi to Boku and literally started cringing when Shun started speaking.

BEGINNER
Oct 1, 2011 3:47 AM

Jun 2011
No, not really. You focus on the artwork and dialogue, seeing they're the only things you've got.

Oct 2, 2011 11:41 AM
Mar 2008
You can always compensate by acting out the roles and making your own sound effects.
Oct 11, 2011 10:31 PM

Jul 2008
I get sucked into manga, so much so, that I don't notice the silence because of all the noises going on inside my head lol
Oct 13, 2011 11:23 PM

Jan 2011
I haven't thought of the lack of sound until I opened this thread.
So I guess it doesn't bother me at all. :)
Though I sometimes imagine their voices according to their character. ^^

And I listen to music while reading manga, so having no sound is quite a positive thing for me.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

378 by Hexcellion »»
21 minutes ago

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
3 hours ago

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

21 by nishant0 »»
3 hours ago

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

13 by bucciest »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » What is your favorite shounen arc?

HM0710 - Sep 6, 2021

17 by Rhaelynne »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.