Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 10, 2009 1:30 AM

Nov 2007
i dont really know lol i was expecting a more violent end and hoping for it

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Jul 17, 2009 12:57 PM

May 2009
Anybody notice how the entire series pretty much has one set of messages?

"No matter how much effort you put in life, you will fail in the end"
"Don't try to do in anything in life"
"Living is meaningless"
"There is no hope"

greaaaaaaaaat.......

i mean sure, it was kinda touching and all in the end but godddamn, really now, just toss a big sack of emo at me. After all the sadness and difficulties the main character and everyone else goes through, they're rewarded with a slow/brutal/wasted deaths. (i.e. Ran and Oonashi give their lives to 'restore' sanity to the city, and Ichise kills off the remaining inhabitants - those assholes deserved it, but still... what a vain death)

yea,
/wrists yet
Aug 7, 2009 1:22 AM

Aug 2008
Wow...this was one the saddest endings I've ever seen. I didn't enjoy the series overall that much, but this episode was just incredible.
Sep 19, 2009 6:20 PM

Jan 2009
Amazing ending to an amazing series. This show was truly such an enjoyable ride. 9/10
Sep 24, 2009 9:27 AM

Feb 2008
I enjoyed this series.
Oct 19, 2009 3:48 AM

Jan 2009
Man, do those fully texhnolyzed people creep the hell out of me...

On another note, is there some site where I could read about the symbolism used in the show?
Nov 18, 2009 12:29 AM

Jun 2009
Great show that is just begging to be re watched. I don't know if it's quite as good as Ghost in the Shell, which it seems to be compared to for obvious reasons, but I do think it's much better than Ergo Proxy.

Ichise was an interesting character who rarely ever showed emotion, but when he did it was usually a great scene. The characters, overall, merely felt like vessels for the story. However, the other way to look at it is that the people had long lost their souls and emotions.

8/10
Ston3_FreeN7Nov 18, 2009 12:33 AM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 14, 2009 11:49 AM
Apr 2009
insan3soldiern said:
Great show that is just begging to be re watched. I don't know if it's quite as good as Ghost in the Shell, which it seems to be compared to for obvious reasons, but I do think it's much better than Ergo Proxy.

Ichise was an interesting character who rarely ever showed emotion, but when he did it was usually a great scene. The characters, overall, merely felt like vessels for the story. However, the other way to look at it is that the people had long lost their souls and emotions.

8/10

i cant believe u just said this was better than ergo proxy...it was good but not great

on a positive note the cinematography was great, but the show overall just wasn't that entertaining...for the most part it was dialogue and this dialogue did not have an enthralling grip on me until the latter half of the show.

This last episode was a great last episode indeed...executed very well. I love Rondo Robe
LaNsLyDeDec 14, 2009 12:08 PM
Dec 14, 2009 1:22 PM

Jan 2008
Ergo Proxy cares more about how it looks with its stupid mascara-ridden goth character and bunny-suit moe girl than exploring any worthwhile ideas, and when it tries it just waffles on with exposition and shit.

TeXhnolyze is real cyberpunk done good.

Just my wee little opinion.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Dec 15, 2009 3:36 AM

Nov 2008
Actually, I would argue that the only cyberpunk "done good" is Ghost in the Shell, Akira and Blame (manga).
Dec 25, 2009 6:19 AM
Jul 2009
And the future refused to change ending
But seriously, who had the balls to fund this proyect hah
It was good overall, i didn't like that they killed the main antagonist in the first half of the series all of a sudden, he was pretty badass even if he was doing it for the lulz.
Jan 5, 2010 1:23 PM

Aug 2009
Wow, that was a pretty sad ending, I'm amusing Ichise died...

At times I thought this anime got really slow and boring but it picked up allot of momentum these last few episodes and it pretty much redeemed itself.
Jan 7, 2010 11:22 PM
Jul 2008
I did expect main characters to die, I didn't expect EVERYONE to die; basically everyone died. It was a sad ending but I expected it early on (from the main character, setting, background, music, events), though I was still hoping for salvation. Didn't cry though, guess the story didn't quite draw me in enough.

For some reason, I have mixed feelings about this series and had real trouble about what to score it. It should deserve a 9 but somehow I don't want to. Since it was made about serious topics and didn't make me think "oh waste of my time", then it's worth a 8 I guess. The slowness, irregularities of the story, how the ideas are presented, and a whole lot of other petty things, makes me want to drop it to a 7 but I have to say that this show is worth the watch. 8.5 if there were half points.

By the way, I enjoyed Serial Experiments Lain very much, but this one hm.
KJacketJan 7, 2010 11:33 PM
Jan 10, 2010 3:10 PM

Oct 2008
KJacket said:
For some reason, I have mixed feelings about this series and had real trouble about what to score it.

The last few episodes have me feeling exactly the same, there were plenty of times in this show i was fascinated and equally as many when i was bored, but i found the ending genuinely saddening and even more so thought provoking, and for this type of show to be so thought provoking probably makes it a success.
Jan 14, 2010 1:00 PM
May 2008
What a great series. There was so much depth that unfortunately I couldn't take it all in. It definitely needs a re-watch one day.
Jan 28, 2010 8:23 AM

Oct 2008
WhyGodWhy said:
What a great series. There was so much depth that unfortunately I couldn't take it all in. It definitely needs a re-watch one day.

I feel exactly the same lol.
Feb 2, 2010 8:12 AM

Oct 2008
Proxy was far more enjoyable hour for hour imo.
Apr 13, 2010 4:26 PM
Jul 2009
I liked that last scene.. the contentment on his face just blew me away. Oh, and Ran pissed me off. She didn't really tell him correctly what was going to happen, he'd be the last one to die.. but he didn't cause any of that. She did nothing the whole time except run around and make people obsess over her. (for what? a few words telling them that they were all screwed over?!)
But that's probably the only ending of an anime i'll ever remember... who knows.
Apr 28, 2010 5:24 AM

Jun 2009
WhyGodWhy said:

Pretty much how I feel. This series is a definite 10/10. Sadly underrated and under-appreciated by the lesser minds.
May 17, 2010 12:38 PM

Oct 2009
I'm glad everything worked out in the end and we got a happy ending.
May 25, 2010 1:17 PM

Aug 2008
this anime was so borring i barrely managed to finish all episodes, they are same depressing characters drag around all time even when they need haste and it ended same.
May 28, 2010 4:49 AM
Jan 2010
Good ending, I really like it..
Life is empty without the crime and will also be dark without goodness.. Cool Anime..
May 30, 2010 5:16 PM

Apr 2008
It's a great series, it made me sleepy a few times, the slow atmosphere worked in Lain, but no here. If I was the director I would have cut this into 13 episodes.
7-10 Great series, you can't make this without pot.
Jun 13, 2010 12:43 AM
May 2010
TuzoAnime said:
the slow atmosphere worked in Lain, but no here.

To my opinion, the slow atmosphere is one of the strong point of this series. If it consists of 13 but not 22 episodes it would be much worse.
The low speed is the best way to show the hopelessness of the situation.
About episode: it was really sad. It is really awful to understand that you're the last human in this world and you have lost everybody you love.
I can't sleep after watching it. The last scene was before my eyes for about a three hours. I felt so bad and depressive.
But i like the end. It is very very sad, but excellent.
One of the best anime i've ever seen.
Jul 27, 2010 8:32 PM

Apr 2009
IMO..it's a nice ending but lain and Ergo are much better..there are some episodes that are boring but the ending has it all..

7/10 for me..
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 1, 2010 3:14 AM

Nov 2009
I dont know what to do now... ;-;
Aug 2, 2010 4:20 AM

Aug 2009
Great Anime, although some episodes are technically shit...
this last episode, made go wtf.

Ichise doesn't deserve to suffer that much, I'm very fucking shocked that this is one of the dramatic ending since Chrno Crusade
Aug 18, 2010 10:49 PM

Jan 2009
Decent ending, I can't help but laugh at the sack of bullshit of everyone dying in the end. Theres a saying that goes like this " Life is shit, but like all things, it is constantly evolving, to what? we will never know, maybe to more shit".

Just think about it, Ichise never cared about things, not even to make them better even when people tried to help him . I'd say that life is all about Sugar and shit, you can eat one of them anytime.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Aug 19, 2010 9:17 AM
Jun 2010
7/10 for me. Good show, first time I see a "the human race is going to extinct" anime beside Elfen Lied. I guess I'll take a look at Ergo Proxy, Lain and Ghost in the Shell that people kept talking in this topic.
supersayenAug 21, 2010 1:54 PM

Oct 13, 2010 7:00 AM

Apr 2009
I'm sad... even though the ending was quite satisfying for me, so I should me rather... happy? But then, can anyone be happy after watching this anime? I really like stuff like this... dead cities etc... I wonder how I'd feel if I was there, at the very end.

9/10 for me... P.S. I was truly amazed by the surface city. Truly, truly amazed.
Oct 28, 2010 5:04 AM

Oct 2009
It took me 91 days to finish this not-for-everyone anime...
One day I suddenly realized there was only one episode left.
I was hesitant and didn't want to end it.

Eventually, I watched it, today.
It was painful.

It brought up the strangest feeling inside me.
I do not regret spending my time on this show.
I'm glad I could finally end it.
Dec 20, 2010 11:48 PM

Jan 2008
What a complete waste of time. It's like watching Gantz all over again. That episode 1 fooled me on watching this till the end. I should have watched Planetes instead. Oh, well...
Jan 2, 2011 2:57 AM
Oct 2010
supersayen said:
7/10 for me. Good show, first time I see a "the human race is going to extinct" anime beside Elfen Lied.

Eh? All I got from Elfen Lied were large breasts and a goregasm.
Jan 19, 2011 5:15 AM

May 2010
That was one of the most depressing endings I have ever seen. It wasn't a 'I'm going to cry' feeling - more like a dull, cold ache. The whole series was like that, showing all the dark sides of the human race - and the hopelessness and despair we are capable of.

ARGH WHAT A FRICKEN ENDING. Watching this last episode at 2am after a night of drinking was a terrible idea.
Feb 5, 2011 4:26 AM
Nov 2010
A good anime with a good ending, the slow pace was implemented beautifully into it...
The music/soundtracks were cool, as well, fitting for such a story...
I'm kinda glad that everyone really did die although I liked quite some characters...
Ichise's way of thinking helped, too...

As the above poster said, it wasn't sad, it was just a feeling of nothing...
Feb 7, 2011 7:28 AM

Dec 2010
silnet said:
Anybody notice how the entire series pretty much has one set of messages?

"No matter how much effort you put in life, you will fail in the end"
"Don't try to do in anything in life"
"Living is meaningless"
"There is no hope"

greaaaaaaaaat.......

Welcome to Existential Nihilism and Dystopia : )

Altohugh the first episode psyched me up to some Behaviorism miixed up with radical Nihilism, we can see a lot of real emotion through the show, lets call them higher values like love or loyality. Nevertheless, in the end of the story all these values are totally worthless and mean shit. So yeah, it is very nihilistic and skeptical vision.

We see nothing but survival of the fittest crossed by some "humanity", but this "humanity" does not change anything. There are no good or bad characters in the show. Some of them are more human, some are primitive beasts, but they all met the same end.

Not matter what we do, we are about to fall, cause we are human and we are flawed. Improving human with some kind of technical stuff is nothing more than trying to make people better. Unfortunately it does not change anything.

Perfect ending to great show.
Feb 12, 2011 4:14 PM

Apr 2009
Hvesier said:
I love how awesomely optimistic and uplifting this series was.

Topgunuk69 said:
I'm glad everything worked out in the end and we got a happy ending.

I can't help but agree with these two.

Minaka said:
I'm very fucking shocked that this is one of the dramatic ending since Chrno Crusade

This is off topic now but I watched that several years ago and I recall being depressed several hours after I finished watching that, not immediately. Not the ending itself but more on what Father Remington was pondering in the end.

Mikiyo said:
I'd say that life is all about Sugar and shit, you can eat one of them anytime.

I like the way how you stated that, I think I'll quote you sometime in the future. :)

Anyway I didn't really dig deep on the philosophical issues so I'll leave my own questions about this series unanswered. It kept me entertained at least when I was watching it so it was OK by my book.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Apr 18, 2011 8:58 AM
Jul 2009
Takumi_Nishijo said:
great (and sad) ending
I think this serie was better than Lain and Ergo proxy ;x

Agree!
May 29, 2011 7:17 AM
Aug 2010
Actually, the ending was an apropriate one. According to the whole atmosphere, it have ended like it should.

I had watched Lain too early to understand it, therefore Texnolize reminded me of Lain and impressed deeper.

I felt a strange relief at the end, because the sadness in soft colours of this ending is really impressive. Maybe, I just like such kind of philosophy - life sometimes isn't worth evolving and running through.
Jul 8, 2011 4:23 PM
Dec 2010
I find it surprising that so few seem to recognize that the anime's conclusion is actually triumphant: Ran's dangerous plan to save humanity succeeded, broke the cruel old world order, and gave endless opportunities to the newly-freed survivors.

At first, Ran's strange behavior frustrated me, because she seemed so ineffectual at helping her people's immediate needs. But by the end, I understood that she'd seen the awful future and that her every action was deliberate. She'd committed herself to the ultimate sacrifice in order to save humanity. She could never tell anyone what she foresaw or planned, never share her pain or seek comfort, nor ask forgiveness for the terrible things she did to manipulate people's lives. This quiet, sad-eyed, little girl guided the newly-arrived Yoshii towards his warpath, allowed Ichise to be harmed so he could become obsessed with revenge and then rescued him repeatedly so he could break humanity's bonds, and nurtured Onishi for his role as her executioner. From the beginning, she knew that she, her followers and many innocents had to perish in order to destroy the old world order -- and she still carried through with her plan. Yikes.

People's lives throughout much of the story were hopeless and miserable. They were trapped into a rigid system of tyranny, violence, inequality and unfulfilling social roles. The surface-dwelling Class grew listless and decadent after purging themselves of anyone that could incite change. The vicious Class gatekeepers, such as Kanno, had no constructive outlet for their pent-up energies other than tormenting the helpless. The denizens of Lux were trapped in lawless poverty at the bottom of a resource-staved hole, controlled by hoodlums and fanatics.

Yet this cruel world order was smashed at the end of the story. The gates to the surface were left open and unguarded. The powerful gatekeepers were dead. The army of Shapes was neutralized, and the nutcases that joined it had opted-out of human society and the gene pool. The Obelisk was broken and the Texhnolyze no longer worked. The powerful mafia, hoodlums and fanatical gangs had disintegrated when they lost their leaders and most devoted members. The Cult of the Seer was finished, having lost its seer, leaders and the Obelisk-Texhnoloyze communications system. All the worst troublemakers were also dead.

Suddenly, for the first time in generations, everyone was free. Those living in poverty and despair in Lux could finally leave for the opportunities of the fertile, wide-open surface. Those of the surface-dwelling Class were given a chance to rejoin the living as émigrés from Lux come up. Humanity was freed from its old bonds and had a chance to build a new, healthy society.

Sure, it was sad seeing the demise of the interesting cast of characters we'd been following throughout the story -- but was this a bad thing? All the characters we'd met were causing terrible problems for others. Most were glad to end their lives in a blaze of glory rather than die of old age, and none would have thrived in building a lawful, civilized world.

Anyway, many things might go wrong in building this new world, but the survivors will be careful to avoid repeating the same mistakes -- at least for a while. Humans may be ultimately doomed, but the humans in this story just smashed their way out of a dead end and got a new lease on life.
Aug 16, 2011 2:28 AM

Aug 2010
I heard many people found this show basically depressing and as I'm a big fan of happy endings, I knew this would hit me hard. Still, this is how it had to end, perfectly executed. Not having to exists in such a horrible place is probably a kind of a happy ending on its own... 9/10 from me, loved the atmosphere, the story and the characters. It was a great ride, but now I'll have to watch lots of comedies to cheer myself up.

Edit: Although I would really like to know what was the ultimate fate of humanity in this particular show. I'm sure the people above the ground continue to exists for some time before they disappear completely and most of the inhabitants of the city are dead. There are only the Shapes left, with the possibility of evolution. But I'm not sure if I buy what Kanno said. Still, what about the rest of the Earth?
Mogami-kunJul 30, 2012 10:16 AM
Sep 4, 2011 12:17 AM
Sep 2011
misaseh098 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
what do you guys think???

-for me, it's too bad that they

well i mean not everyone theres still few people left.....
Sep 4, 2011 6:13 AM
Jul 2011
igalko said:

Anyway, many things might go wrong in building this new world, but the survivors will be careful to avoid repeating the same mistakes -- at least for a while. Humans may be ultimately doomed, but the humans in this story just smashed their way out of a dead end and got a new lease on life.

There are no real survivors. Those who endured war with the shapes were driven insane later. And as it was stated in previous episodes there is no way going above the ground since the way is destroyed. Also at the beginning of episode 21 narrator says that humanity is living its last moments in Lux. So your vision of conclusion is a little bit too optimistic.
Oct 14, 2011 7:57 PM
Sep 2007
8/10

They just don't make anime like this anymore.
Oct 21, 2011 8:01 PM

Sep 2008
Can't say I liked this ending. But overall, the show was fantastic.
Oct 29, 2011 11:30 AM

Feb 2009
There was never a happy feeling or smile during the entire run of Texhnolyze. It is certainly one of the most depressing stories told through this medium. A sad ending was to be expected, but when it gives you a feeling of emptiness after going through a 22 episode series, that's something else. Definitely not for everyone.
Nov 7, 2011 10:30 AM

Jul 2009
I thnik this is possible the first time I have given a sad and 100% hopeless ending 10 out of 10.
this anime definetely isn't for everyone and shouldn't be my thing, but this was well worth he watch - it's a shame this is the end.

Dec 2, 2011 2:33 AM
Dec 2011
Just finished up this series in a marathon session over the course of a day. Someone recommended it to me when I was asking for some good cyberpunk anime. I have a habit of becoming too immersed in what I watch or read and Texhnolyze really took me to a dark place. After a few episodes I was kind of expecting a very...empty ending and for this fact I told myself I wouldn't get attached to any character...but I just couldn't help myself with Ran. ;_; (why?) The ending gave me a feeling I've never had before, I feeling of loss and despair.

I'm going to wallow these feelings for a few but after seeing something like this I think its time to watch something that will restore my faith in humanity. Something happy. :)
Jan 16, 2012 5:04 AM

Jul 2009
tofei said:
Anyway I didn't really dig deep on the philosophical issues so I'll leave my own questions about this series unanswered.

Personally, I agree with tearofmankind; I find it to be very Nihilistic.

Also, I think you have to be familiar with Gnosticism to fully "grasp" the philosophy of the show. A lot of the stuff in the series (especially the key characters like Doc and Kano) are representations of important Gnostic figures and ideas.

For example:

Kano = the Demiurge
Doc = Sophia or Wisdom
Lux = the Demiurge's materialistic domain
The Surface World = Pleroma or the Divine World
Texhnolayzation = the outcome of Sophia's creativity/materiality...
etc. etc.

http://www.iep.utm.edu/gnostic/
Jan 30, 2012 8:52 PM

Nov 2011
I just finished it tonight and I have to say I found the ending disappointing. Basically that was the end of the human race, without God. That's not how its supposed to happen.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

xXDaijinkazeXx - May 6, 2009

174 by chow141 »»
Apr 10, 2:36 PM

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 14, 2009

66 by Sanak_ »»
Apr 4, 4:08 AM

» If you connected with any of these characters, why?

sheaswee - Feb 7

14 by KitsuFrost »»
Mar 31, 6:37 PM

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

loghneckbeard - Apr 28, 2010

53 by I_is_lost »»
Jan 11, 6:04 PM

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zepwich - Dec 9, 2009

63 by I_is_lost »»
Jan 11, 12:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.