Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 27, 2008 11:58 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Discussion for the short called "Field Test"

The animation in this one reminded me of the japanese style much more than the other ones so far. The story was pretty simple again, but I thought it really captured the same type of feeling as Batman Begins so far as the character interaction between Lucious and Bruce when the tech was revealed, stuff like Bruce's reaction was done really well. I don't know about the decision he made at the end though, seemed kind of dumb to me to give up the bullet proof thing because a bullet got deflected into another henchman, what if he dodged the same shot and somebody got hit he has just as little control.

Anyways I also couldn't help but laugh a little at bishie bruce:
Jun 27, 2008 12:19 PM

May 2008
easily my favorite episode.
I loved the way he deflects the bullets with the pulse
it's soooooooo awesome

Jun 29, 2008 1:05 AM

Apr 2008
This felt like "what if the Batman movies were an anime" especially if Bruce Wayne was a bishie. However, Wayne's voice acting in this episode was painful.
Jun 30, 2008 4:45 PM

May 2007
Plate said:
This felt like "what if the Batman movies were an anime" especially if Bruce Wayne was a bishie.

This definitely captured the "what if Batman was an anime" aspect and it was a pretty good story. Lol at bishie Bruce.
Jun 30, 2008 9:50 PM

Sep 2007
I've been told Bee Train did this episode and if that's the case then color me impressed.There were some things well done in this episode such as the animation and the gadgetry, but I thought the dialogue was pretty bad and the content was iffy as well. I don't think he could have made the guy's golf club go flying without sending quite a few things flying as well.

When they were demonstrating the bullet proof EMP device, the first thing I thought was that the ricochets would do some damage and that it was a bad idea. I'm surprised they didn't try coming up with a more absorbent armor instead.

A lot of things I disagreed with, but at the same time this felt like the most realistic episode so far and I suppose one is supposed to suspend some disbelief. I didn't mind Batman standing in the fire in ep 2 so much because Batman was such a badass and a guy like that should be able to stand in fire. Not to much of a contradiction there. Here I just had a lot of problems with the contradictions :/

Jul 1, 2008 6:39 PM

Oct 2007
lol at bishie Bruce, seriously.

It was pretty good and the whole idea of it was pretty cool I thought.

Jul 2, 2008 11:26 AM

Sep 2007
Well its nice to see Bee Train do something good.
I liked the Batman costume in this one.
Jul 3, 2008 2:53 AM

Feb 2008
Probably my favorite yet (still 3 more to go).
I really liked the pulse deflecting bullet thing =P
Jul 5, 2008 9:06 PM

Sep 2007
This one is probably my favorite if for nothing else then the way Bruce ( not in the Batman costume) looked. For some reason it made me laugh.
Jul 9, 2008 11:21 AM

Mar 2008
This one could have been one of the better shorts but seeing Bruce like that is just too much. I guess this one is probably my least favorite. Kevin Conroy's voice just doesn't go with a Bruce Wayne that looks like that. The Batman design was better but still not that great. All the other animation by Bee Train I thought was pretty good. The city animation was really nice. The writing and dialogue was not very good and overall wasn't that substantial.

I liked how it showed how Batman would never willingly endanger anyone else and had the best quote that shows this, "I'm willing to put my life on the line to do what I have to. But it has to be mine, no one else's."

It also had somewhat of a resolution or temporary peace between the two mafias. Sal Maroni who has taken up being the boss of the Italian mafia who was also in the last short will probably play a part in the The Dark Knight since in the comics it's him who transforms Harvey Dent into Two Face.
quicksilver111Jul 10, 2008 3:32 PM
Jul 9, 2008 11:38 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
That was better. Bruce looked quite a bit too young but this episode had good humor and I really liked it.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 10, 2008 8:57 AM

Mar 2008
Liked the animation. Bee Train did a good job on it. Not a complete fan of the bat suit though. Looked kinda....odd...
Jul 10, 2008 3:39 PM

Mar 2008
Well, for BeeTrain it was pretty good. Nice animation and (as said before) a real Batman in jap. anime feeling.

Loved the tech. gadgets like the magnetic bullet shield. I wonder if he has this in the movie, too (probably not).

But the story was a bit chaotic. I admit I didn't really get it all.
Jul 17, 2008 12:57 AM

Feb 2008
Plate said:
This felt like "what if the Batman movies were an anime" especially if Bruce Wayne was a bishie. However, Wayne's voice acting in this episode was painful.
Yes. Exactly. His bishie design clashed with my image of the brooding, troubled Batman. (I didn't picture him styling his hair...) But what really bothered me was his behavior, I suppose. I swear at one point he actually giggled. I was like "......Did he just--?" Outside of that, the scripting was actually clever at points and the animation was fine. The bat suit was actually kind of interesting. I don't think Bee Train can do dark and brooding, but a smart, suave hero, maybe, lol. Not bad. That quote of putting himself in the line of fire and not others was good. I think it relates to the movie coming out.
new_userJul 17, 2008 1:32 AM
Feb 9, 2009 2:55 AM

Aug 2008
quicksilver111 said:
Kevin Conroy's voice just doesn't go with a Bruce Wayne that looks like that.
Yeah, my main problem. He is The voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman to me, but paired with a young looking character like that (probably younger than the actual Christian Bale).. it was just weird..
Mar 21, 2011 1:42 PM

Aug 2010
My favorite short if not just for the animation. Bruce looked odd, but I loved his suit. I guess I can understand why he would give up the suit after that happened. Batman must be horrified that it was partially his fault that someone was shot.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

May 9, 2013 4:32 PM
Mar 2012
5/5, Liked the idea and the concept it was trying to illustrate. I guess too much of a good thing is a bad thing, ye know?
Apr 14, 2014 11:53 PM

Jun 2009
Decent, but man that design just doesn't work and didn't at all fit Conroy's voice.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 24, 2014 7:25 AM

May 2012
I really dig the design of that car, slightly different than we seen before! Nice episode let's see what's next!
Sep 6, 2020 7:21 PM

Jan 2017
They did Batty soooo bad that outfit was HIDEOUS and he looked so unprofessional as Bruce he looked more like a Barista than a billionaire he did not belong on that golf course
Feb 22, 2022 9:45 PM

Jan 2009
so Batman did a field test (title drop) of this force field device eh

More topics from this board

Poll: » Batman: Gotham Knight Episode 5 Discussion

MEGATRON - Jun 27, 2008

30 by TarikKabir »»
Nov 22, 2023 2:20 AM

Poll: » Batman: Gotham Knight Episode 1 Discussion

MEGATRON - Jun 27, 2008

25 by bushman66 »»
Apr 20, 2022 6:33 PM

Poll: » Batman: Gotham Knight Episode 6 Discussion

MEGATRON - Jun 27, 2008

23 by deg »»
Feb 23, 2022 4:26 AM

Poll: » Batman: Gotham Knight Episode 4 Discussion

MEGATRON - Jun 27, 2008

23 by deg »»
Feb 22, 2022 9:58 PM

Poll: » Batman: Gotham Knight Episode 2 Discussion

MEGATRON - Jun 27, 2008

20 by deg »»
Feb 22, 2022 9:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.