Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly DVD & CD Rankings for Jun 20 - 26

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 29, 2011 1:14 PM
Dec 2007
RyanSaotome said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Though I will say that the one guy jmal coming at me with, "most animation studios are lucky to pass 10k more than once in their history. KyoAni has done it ten times in less than a decade for nearly every show they've done. Sorry, no other studio like that exists", only to have good old Westlo come up with the Sunrise TV series stats for the last decade which immediately proved the above quote about no other studio like that existing wrong was highly entertaining.

Not a fair comparison. He counted Gintama 3 times, when its only 1 series. It would be like counting each year of Naruto or One Piece as a separate anime. So its still 10 shows for KyoAni that had 10k+, and 8 for Sunrise.
Sunrise depends on a few main franchises, that much is obvious. But again, the issue was that people were going to be aggresive in their judgement of Nichijou "because" it is a KyoAni show. The whole KyoAni vs Sunrise fanboyism is really besides the point.

Jun 29, 2011 1:32 PM

Oct 2007
RyanSaotome said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Though I will say that the one guy jmal coming at me with, "most animation studios are lucky to pass 10k more than once in their history. KyoAni has done it ten times in less than a decade for nearly every show they've done. Sorry, no other studio like that exists", only to have good old Westlo come up with the Sunrise TV series stats for the last decade which immediately proved the above quote about no other studio like that existing wrong was highly entertaining.

Not a fair comparison. He counted Gintama 3 times, when its only 1 series. It would be like counting each year of Naruto or One Piece as a separate anime. So its still 10 shows for KyoAni that had 10k+, and 8 for Sunrise.

Are you serious? I knew somebody was probably going to try this one and I'm really quite glad they did since it's hilarious and dumb as hell, but here's the thing, if you're going to count Gintama as one series then you might as well count Haruhi, Clannad and K-On as one series each respectively then. If we want to do this and be really fucking dumb, fanboyish and desperately defensive about this whole argument then you might as well say that Kyoani only has 6 10,000+ franchises then. And while we're at it why don't we count the Sunrise stuff as all one entity too. Let's be really ridiculous about this and combine all their shows with like titles together so that we end up with 5 10,000+ selling shows. Even though that's not at all how the list goes and how these things are actually being counted, let's just do this for no real logical reason so we can really take this argument into stupid territory. Look how much we've accomplished!!!!
Jun 29, 2011 1:38 PM

Oct 2007
jmal said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Who said I was talking strictly about TV series? Did the guy I responded to say TV sales?

Really? This is the loophole you're going with? Even if for some reason you thought I was including movies - an assumption no one else seems to have made - Sunrise still wouldn't be first because of the large number of low profile shows they do alongside their big franchises.

A perfectly sensible response would have been "Oh okay if you're talking about TV series then yes that's correct" and dropping it, not a short novel vehemently refusing to accept that you could have ever possibly misunderstood and explaining all the ways KyoAni is doomed blah blah blah.

[diatribe about how KyoAni is doomed because of one show making low-average sales]

This is what is called wishful thinking, my friend, and that alone does not make a coherent argument. People said the same after SoraAge sp;d significantly far less than Nichijou is going to. Then K-ON! was released. Oops.

And of course your other comeback attempt is based on deliberately ignoring the important part of what you thought you were refuting:
for nearly every show they've done

The above is pretty fundamental when talking about averages. Nobody would argue KyoAni (or probably any TV anime studio) has sold more total discs than Sunrise over the decades.

But total numbers don't define averages, now do they?

Go back and read what I've actually posted instead of responding to what you think I've posted. Until then I'm done with this argument. Though if you ask me the argument has already gotten so unbelievably stupid and off-track that there's no point in continuing it anyway. Only the best for MAL.

I will close up by clarifying that yes Kyoani has a low production/high yield factor working in their favor when it comes to averages on TV series sales. I'm not exactly sure how this is supposed to mean anything however.
PeacingOutJun 29, 2011 1:43 PM
Jun 29, 2011 1:47 PM

Oct 2007
jmal said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Go back and read what I've actually posted instead of responding to what you think I've posted. Until then I'm done with this argument.

Kaioshin_sama cast "Ignore relevant arguments and run while claiming to be misunderstood"!

It missed!

Better level up some more.

I am genuinely sorry that I hurt your fanboy senses with my posting enough to get these types of comments as a reply. Let me make it up to you some day bro.
Jun 29, 2011 2:09 PM

Oct 2007
jmal said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I am genuinely sorry that I hurt your fanboy senses with my posting enough to get these types of comments as a reply. Let me make it up to you some day bro.

I'm more offended by the flagrant abuse of statistics and logic, not the particular studio you used as a premise for said abuse.

But I won't even remember who you are by tomorrow, so don't worry, it's cool.

That's a much more reasoned response, thank you. In kind I will attempt to return the same. To be honest I've been pretty offended by what I see as flagrant abuse of statistics and logic so far, but I don't really consider you one of the offenders in that regard so much as someone whose posts resulted in a misunderstanding that I believe is now cleared up.

Now that we're on the same page I think we can agree on the whole average TV Series sales thing, though again as I said above I'm not exactly sure that that means anything in the grand scheme (as in all time) and I kind of have to agree with some people (even though I don't think what I'm about to say was their motivation at all) that it's tough to compare a recent studio like Kyoani to the all time sales of other studios throughout the history of anime. That was our mutual mistake because it really doesn't work well as has been demonstrated by all the crazy arguments and inclusions and exclusions that have resulted from comparing a studio with barely 20 overall productions below it's belt to ones with decades of history and with hundreds of series produced or only movies produced. We have on our hands and argument that has no immediate resolution, but our discussion does and I think it's fair to end it on this note.

It's all cool then I hope.
Jun 29, 2011 6:49 PM

Aug 2009
It's best to ignore Kaioshin Sama. This guy is talking wall. He wants everyone to believe that he is the smartest anime watcher in the world and we are all hallucinated by Kyoani's dark magic.
ringoo4Jun 29, 2011 7:07 PM
Jun 30, 2011 3:03 AM

Feb 2008
Update
DVD
31, **,921 *,***,921 Super Robot Taisen OG: The Inspector vol.1
32, **,912 *,***,912 Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? vol.4 Deluxe Edition

Blu-ray
18, *3,899 *3,899 Tantei Opera Milky Holmes vol.6
19, *3,697 *3,697 A-Channel vol.2 Limited Edition
20, *3,228 *3,228 Freezing vol.4
21, *3,218 *3,218 Sora no Otoshimono Blu-ray Box
22, *2,620 *2,620 Nichijou vol.1 Limited Edition
23, *2,493 *2,493 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai vol.6 Limited Edition
24, *1,947 *1,947 Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? vol.4
25, *1,842 *1,842 Gosick vol.3
26, *1,325 *1,325 Yumekui Merry vol.4
27, *1,316 *1,316 Astarotte no Omocha! vol.1
28, *1,269 *1,269 Shakugan no Shana Blu-ray Box
29, *1,212 60,102 Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica vol.2 Limited Edition
30, *1,056 *1,056 Mitsudomoe Zouryouchuu! vol.4 Limited Edition
31, *1,025 *1,025 Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai vol.1
32, *1,007 65,438 Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica vol.1 Limited Edition
33, *1,002 *1,002 Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu vol.9
34, **,989 **,989 Hourou Musuko vol.3
Jun 30, 2011 8:41 AM

Sep 2009
23, *2,493 *2,493 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai vol.6 Limited Edition
25, *1,842 *1,842 Gosick vol.3
27, *1,316 *1,316 Astarotte no Omocha! vol.1
33, *1,002 *1,002 Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu vol.9

Pity but predictable

31, *1,025 *1,025 Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai vol.1

Same here but this time it's studios fault. To take good and popular visual novel and cut 3/4 of plot but add more fanservice. It was stupid plan
Jun 30, 2011 10:41 AM

Sep 2009
> I thought OreTsuba was fascinating. Easily one of the most unique visual novel adaptations I've seen, and after some early bumps, quite well put together from what was clearly a complicated and crazy original story. I was a little disappointed with the ending, however, which bumped it down for me.

Same here but for most of people it was total disappointment. Average viewers just had WTF about plot and hardcore fans of VN didn't like plot cutting
Jun 30, 2011 1:24 PM

Apr 2010
So Nichijou ends up at 3.5k... so barely above the manabi line. Has to be viewed as a disappointment overall

Thing I really find surprising though is how badly Deadman Wonderland did. It didn't even sell 1k?

Jun 30, 2011 7:14 PM
Apr 2011
Well it sad that deadman wonderland will probably not get a second season,
and people wonder why we see so little gory animes.
Jul 2, 2011 6:30 AM
Mar 2011
Here is a real life comparison between sunrise and kyoani.
Kyoani: shoot, cant believe i failed this last test. even though ive always gotten perfect scores. What did you get sunrise sempai?
Sunrise: Eh, I dont really care about tests, my dad owns the school, and im sleeping with 3 of teachers and the captain of the cheerleading squad.

When you're talking about anime company successes, dont even bother discussing sunrise, cause its not a company. Its a conglomerate. Like it not, sunrise isnt even within the scales of comparison.

From wiki:
As of January 21, 2008, the Gundam franchise is a 50 billion yen trademark.

Academic fields in Japan have also viewed the series as a good inspiration in research fields, with the Gundam academy (or officially International Gundam Society) being the first academic institution based on an animated TV series

Get back to me when they make a SOS brigade Academy.

You would think that people who watch anime would have some kind of understanding of what goes on behind the scenes, but everyone seriously only cares about their favorite animes.
taj69Jul 2, 2011 6:41 AM
Jul 2, 2011 2:27 PM
Dec 2007
jmal said:
People read more into that than was intended and an unnecessary debate picked up from there.
More like they decided to use the comment as an excuse to diss KyoAni. But even if Nichijou flopped, I still loved it. It's too bad it's so love it or hate it, which leads to many haters.

Jul 5, 2011 7:45 AM

Aug 2009
Nichijou did 3 frt.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'One Piece' Anime Gets Remake by WIT Studio ( 1 2 )

Hyperion_PS - Dec 17, 2023

81 by ExtremeT »»
42 minutes ago

» Manga 'Oniichan wa Oshimai!' Gets TV Anime

Vindstot - Apr 21, 2022

44 by Lenoksu »»
6 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - 11 hours ago

4 by yamiyugi101 »»
7 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

3 by ToyaMochizuki »»
9 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

16 by Jonas-K »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.