Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
5 Centimeters per Second
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 18, 2014 11:40 AM

Aug 2013
Gave 8/10 for the animation and music and the first 2 parts were interesting but the ending I didn't feel sad at all. I was just like wtf that's just stupid.

From an artistic point of view the movie is great but as a piece of story telling it's nothing special.
May 21, 2014 8:31 PM
May 2014
First part was great. It is very heartwarming especially when he still found his girl waiting for him.

Second part was still very good. The part when he's texting himself is just off, though.

Third part...come on now.

I don't feel too bad for him if it is not for remembering their moment in the first part. Why? Because the MC was really a moron. He is not even trying for a man as loving as the show is trying to portray him to be. I know the message is "in real life you gotta move on" and "things don't always go your way". I moved 6 times already in the past 7 years, one was across the globe, so I know very well the "real life" lesson of having to separate with the beloved(s) and great friends, and move on. Still, the example portrayed in the show is not at all realistic unless the show actually meant to say " you dumb you lose". If I have to feel bad it'd be for the 3 girls in all 3 parts (Akari, Kanae, and Risa).

The movie as a whole is still good, though, I just can never dismiss part 1.
May 21, 2014 8:40 PM

Apr 2011
Movie was good..
Jul 23, 2014 11:17 PM
Jul 2012
Dang! You guys are some heartless people. You guy are not looking the overall picture of the story Most people wanted a happy ending but this story goes to show you endings aren't always what you make it out to be. You just have to endure through it and hope for the better. In Takaki's and Akari's case although they didn't work out they will forever keep the memory of one another close to their hearts. If you guys understood relationships its not easy to confess. Have to say. I lol-ed when seeing people comment reality is boring. What kind of twisted up world do you live to not take the initiative and do something about it?
Jul 25, 2014 11:42 AM

Oct 2012
I watched this movie, several people recommended me this like it was something great but it's just average for me. Akari and Tohru follow their own paths in life. They grow up, fall in love with other people, study, work... It's like another SoL for me but condensed in a one hour movie.
I'm learning English so maybe I make mistakes :)
Jul 25, 2014 11:46 AM

Apr 2014
Only people who have been in the same situation can relate to this film, it seems. I actually investigated this.

Aug 2, 2014 1:53 PM

May 2012
I liked the movie very much. I think that especially the music video in part 3 in which they showed what happend between the 2 main characters explains a lot of the missing story.

There is a small segment which showed that they still send letters to each other after the male's departure in part 1. However, there is another small segment in which the girl is writing a letter but suddenly falls asleep and probably didn't finish the letter. This probably broke the chain of sending letters to each other. The male was disappointed in not receiving a letter and as a result, he didn't write one back which disappointed the girl. In the segment afterwards, you see both of them staring at the mailbox while walking past it, probably still hoping to receive a letter from the other person. Or at least consider to write a new letter. However, this never happend.

The girl moved on in life while the male couldn't move on until the very end of the movie. This made me think that the 2 letters they wanted to give to each other in part 1 played an important role as well. The girl could probably moved on much faster because she probably already planned to give up on maintaining the relationship and she probably wrote that in the letter that she wanted to give to him, but eventually didn't due to the pleasant time she had with thim.
The boy's letter probably contained a letter of promise to meet up each other again later when they both are older, but since he lost the letter he couldn't give this message to her.

In the end, they ended in a stale-mate waiting for the other person to take the first step. However, unfortenately neither of them took the first step. Eventually, the girl moved on while the boy suffered more from it untill the end when, he could finally move on.
DarcsenAug 2, 2014 2:01 PM
Aug 4, 2014 6:52 AM

Jun 2012
I found this rage worthy.

Waiting4Infinity said:
Scud said:
Realism is boring though. I have real life for that.
EXACTLY! I want my clichés! I'm sick of the real world; that's part of the reason I watch anime.
I couldnt agree more.
Jan 28, 2015 8:30 PM

May 2014
Everytime I hear about 5cm/s or see a clip of it I always think of the ending and feel like beating the shit out of something because the story ended the way it did and nothing is going to change that. It really is bittersweet ending. The producers are trying to send a message that life goes the way it does and in the end stuff doesn't always end up happy and great. But damn when I saw that ring on the finger I have never wished for my guesses to be more wrong. The instant I saw it I knew I was being screwed over. Damn.
Feb 13, 2015 9:33 PM

Aug 2008
Natsuki Imai, a Japanese television and film director known for her 2007 film Koizora, views 5 Centimeters Per Second as a film "completely for adults even though it is an anime".[30]

It won the Award for Best Animated Feature Film at the 2007 Asia Pacific Screen Awards.[32]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_Centimeters_Per_Second#Reception

5 Centimeter per Second,objectively for adult. Objectively good.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Feb 27, 2015 10:54 PM

Nov 2014
I felt the same way. I don't mind depressing stories as long as they aren't caused by completely stupid and unrealistic actions.
Mar 2, 2015 10:19 AM

Jul 2013
I didn't like this.

First one was great, second one was even better, but even if it's supposed to project 'real life', this is still a story we're talking about here and a story should be able to weave together all its elements.

To be honest, I feel like I would've had a better experienced had they just gone from the first straight to the third, but by experiencing the second, well, it skewed the experience and made the resolution at the end seem dark and empty. It might've felt that way anyway though.

I understand that the point is about letting go, but the fact that the guy never took any action whatsoever, even towards the very end, just makes everything feel empty. Not sad, but just emptiness, or frustration at it. It's perfectly fine for the girl to marry another man and move on with her life, and the guy too. Right from the start, I wasn't expecting them to get together anyway, since this didn't seem like the film that'd have a fairytale flow. However, they could've at least said a word to each other, you know? Or something?

The moral isn't really the best either - if you haven't done anything to reach out for your dream, why would you let go? That's not called moving on after knowing something's impossible, that's called giving up without even trying! AT LEAST TRY, GODDAMMIT.

The 'ending' isn't bittersweet, but a tragedy, pure and simple. Nothing is gained, and everything is lost. Instead of resolving everyone's feelings, it's left hanging for-fucking-ever.

Sure, maybe the point is to make people feel exactly that. Maybe it's to say that 'this is how life is', but seriously, this is just pathetic. Even if it is, that still make it a good story in the slightest. I'm not satisfied at all, just frustrated.

I hope the people made this burn painfully and slowly at five centimeters per second.

Sep 19, 2015 10:53 AM

Aug 2014
I am not sure if I dislike it, but I was disappointed. I saw high score and I hoped I will have fun watching this.
It was boring, sad with weak or almost no plot. Ending song was very bad... voice of singer is bad. It should be sang by female.

I had few childhood love and one of it could even be like second part of this movie, but it didn't make me feel related.

I like slice of life, but I expected much more from this... in this anime almost nothing happened and there is almost no dialogues.

Only good things about this anime was art and that it was able to make me sad, but not even once I had a feeling of crying or anything close to it... I just became sad, depressed and in melancholic mood. And this was not what I wanted today either...

It was also good that I saw some of Japan and its daily life.

I don't get it why people rate it 10? There is no romance, because they were only kids, in second part it is only one side love, and in third part? How can I call it? They are together but they don't love each other and he only makes this last girl sad...
There is drama but very weak drama.
Thyriad-oPPailovSep 19, 2015 11:00 AM
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Apr 10, 2016 8:14 PM

Feb 2014
No, I disliked it either:

It didn't make me sad, happy... nothing.
The end of the anime = the beginning, it went nowhere.
Excepting about the end (somehow the girl had the guts to confess and marry ANOTHER guy - and everyone blaming only Takaki), the rest are full of cliches.
This shows the reality? So show me reality during ALL the anime. Life lesson? The 'life lesson' this anime wants to transmit can be found in many, many other animes.

But the main point here is: it went nowhere. There's nothing more that annoys me than an anime that starts but in the end nothing changes or throws in the trash everyhing that I watched, it's like to "swim, swim and even so ending dying on beach". It's not about happy or bad/sad ending, there are a bunch of animes that I've watched with a bad/sad ending and which I liked it.
So, in the end, this anime ended being a waste of time for me.

This is MY opinion, you don't have to agree or mind about it.

PS.: The art is gorgeous, though.
TechOtakuMay 1, 2016 6:14 AM
Apr 17, 2016 8:30 AM

Mar 2014
No, as with everything, you are not the only existence to dislike something -- especially this movie.

This movie was not good. The only realism found is in the first chapter, which was great. The second chapter was a meaningless cringe-fest, and the final chapter was bad writing at its finest.

The concept of this story would work wonders as an actual series, but in just an hours worth of time, it fails.
Apr 30, 2016 10:30 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
I think it was a memorable experience, it is sad, it makes us remenber too much of the reality that waits us many times in our lifes, but that doesnt mean it is bad, I enjoyed alot the execution.
Nov 14, 2021 10:57 PM
Dec 2017
nope theres alot of people who didn't like it.

Nov 19, 2021 7:01 AM
Oct 2021
Nope just watched it and tbh i didnt like it at all .
Mar 21, 2022 9:19 PM
May 2021
No,you are not the only one I don't like this movie.
Jul 2, 2022 8:47 PM
Jan 2022
Damn it bruh, when i watch this show and got that ending i was sad. Like wtf, why most anime portrays a guy always be miserable, the girl that the guy has crush/his lover always the one that moved on not the guy himself. I want the other way around FFS !
Aug 11, 2022 11:01 AM

May 2022
Surprisingly sad ending for everyone, which is rare for a romance. This probably was a inspiration for a lot of todays romance anime movies I can see the similarities between this and most of the popular movies of today. I would have liked to see a Akari dedicated episode, but they did take an interesting approach at the end, which was very bleak to say the least.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter General Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Faust721 - Jul 19, 2007

776 by drried »»
Apr 14, 6:26 AM

» What did you feel after watching Makoto Shinkai`s 5 Centimeter per Second? ( 1 2 3 )

IRIS-T - Mar 6, 2016

108 by Hasan_Lelouch »»
Mar 11, 9:22 AM

Poll: » Who's the best girl?

spectre699 - Sep 23, 2023

9 by Jusne »»
Mar 3, 4:59 PM

» im confused

_txhsin__ - Feb 20, 2023

19 by frodberserk »»
Jan 3, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jul 5, 2008

75 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 11:16 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.