Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 7, 2011 9:54 AM

Jun 2009
Ever hear a line in a DUB that just burns itself into your mind?

share it whether it be Funny, wierd, or just plain disturbing just make sure you tell us what Series its from.

OH GOD!! I FORGOT TO DRAIN THE MONSTER THIS MORNING!! Yuuichirou Tajima-The Big Windup

@2:25
mattskellJul 12, 2011 10:42 AM
Hiding Away in the Memory of a Better Day
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 7, 2011 6:42 PM

Jul 2007
You're not clean, you're a messy (Urameshi)!!! - best pun ever presented by that girl from Yu Yu Hakusho (forgot her name)

Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness bringing torment and pain to others, oh damned soul wallowing in your sin...perhaps it is time to die
Jun 7, 2011 7:37 PM

Oct 2008
coolcat said:
You're not clean, you're a messy (Urameshi)!!! - best pun ever presented by that girl from Yu Yu Hakusho (forgot her name)

"YOU STUPID CHIIIILD!! YOU THINK YOU CAN TAKE ONE-TEEEENTH?!!!"

Also from Yu Yu Hakusho, which I remember so well because not only did I record that episode on my former VCR at the time, but the episode that happened to play that episode was also the last episode of Yu Yu Hakusho that aired before it was off the Toonami block and ended up in a graveyard timeslot.

Oh I got another.

"In case you haven't noticed, this isn't really a horse!" - Musica from Rave Master.

"Nothing will come out of nothing. Speak to her!" - Juliet from Romeo x Juliet

It's weird how out of all the lines in Romeo x Juliet, that line I happened to remember the most. I first saw the subtitle translation when watching the episode and then wondered how the line would be different out of curiosity and it changed to that line which felt unusual to me at the time. The funny thing is, a couple of months later when I had a Drama & Society course, I was reading The Tragedy of King Lear for the first time and recalled that same exact line in class. Then I wondered, "just what kind of lines did the script writers take from other Shakespeare plays?"
Jun 27, 2011 10:02 PM

May 2010
"There's no such thing as miracles. You can say that word any way you want but, in the end, it's pronounced as 'fraud'."
Said by Munsu, from Shin Angyo Onshi... (This one actually turned out to be quite a gem, in my personal opinion).
Jul 5, 2011 9:53 AM

Nov 2007
Some of my favorites:

"You're gonna catch emo." - Kozue from Sasami Magical Girls Club episode 1.

"Life is short, so girls should love." - Aki from Boys Be episode 9. Michelle Ruff's cute girl voice.

"Oooh, a basement!" - Yusuke from Yu Yu Hakusho, somewhere in season 1 where they're rescuing Yukina.
Jul 5, 2011 12:16 PM

Sep 2009
"Sometimes I ride the goat while scrubbing the deck. And that is not a euphemism for anything." - Sealand, Axis Powers Hetalia
Jul 10, 2011 11:43 AM

Jun 2009
"this weatherman's predicting a 99% chance of shit storm AND IT'S COMING STRAIGHT AT YOU!" romano-hetalia axis powers.

"dude, what are you talking about? i'm always serious. now! has anyone seen my combat afro?" keroro-sgt. frog.
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Jul 14, 2011 7:04 PM
Dec 2009
"Alright, everyone. Pack it up. Pack it up. We're done today. Don't do anymore. Hip, hip, Hoooorayyyyyy! That's all folks" Lloyd Asplund-Code Geass.

"I am the Boooooogyman!" Alan Gabriel-The Big O.

"Begone Dirty Whores!" Saitou and Yamazaki-Welcome to the N.H.K.

"You're built to have babbies!" Kenji Harima-School Rumble

"Vending machines don't have milk. But I do" Kyoko-Black Cat

"I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser the Third. Don't hesistate to call" Vash the Stampede-Trigun
Nerdszrule89Jul 14, 2011 7:11 PM
Jul 14, 2011 8:41 PM

Dec 2009
That Black Cat line can be interpreted two ways.
Jul 16, 2011 8:40 PM

Jul 2007
I love the "Begone Dirty Whores" line. I crack up every time.

Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness bringing torment and pain to others, oh damned soul wallowing in your sin...perhaps it is time to die
Jul 16, 2011 8:49 PM

Oct 2008
coolcat said:
I love the "Begone Dirty Whores" line.

"What a douchebaaaaag."

"I'll show you Yamasaki! It's not only dramatic, it's FUCKING DRAMATIIIIC!!"

"You wanna talk about pride? Your so-called honor demands that you kill Rukia. It takes a lot of honor to kill your own sister, doesn't it? Well if that's the kind of pride you're talking about, then you can bet your ass I'm gonna mess with it! That's the reason I got this power, your stupid pride!" - Ichigo

"I'M ADRESSING YOU BULMOOSE!!" - Vegeta
XTApocalypse said:
That Black Cat line can be interpreted two ways.

WOOOOOOOW, really?!
HypeathonJul 16, 2011 9:18 PM
Jul 21, 2011 10:29 AM

Nov 2007
Love these comeback quotes from Yu Yu Hakusho.

Sensui: (to Yusuke) Which brings us to reason number three, why you don't even stand a slim chance of beating me: The gap between your spirit energy and mine is far too great. If your spirit energy could fill a fishbowl, mine would fill the ocean.
Kuwabara: Which ocean are we talking about 'cause, buddy, some of them aren't as big?

Narrator: Yamanade - the devil with six hands. This rare super-sensory breed of demon has six arms, which can move independently of their master.
Kurama: He's an actual yamanade.
Hiei: Teh.
Kuwabara: I don't care if he's a unicorn. Let's start this fight! We'll see how special he is when I'm smashing him.

Kuwabara: Why is Sensui talking so much? You think he's buying time?
Kurama: I don't think that's it. He's exuding as much confidence as ever.
Itsuki: You're right, Kurama. I haven't seen Sensui this happy in a long time, as he's getting to kill and prove a point.
Kuwabara: Shut up! From now on, you're in quiet time, okay?

Yusuke: Dammit! First you say I'm faster, then you get the heads up on me like I'm an old lady crossing the freeway. For just once I want some honesty from the bad guys!
Jul 21, 2011 11:19 AM

Aug 2010
Can't believe I haven't mentioned this one before.This is a great example of where the dub script improved on the original.

Spoilers for the last episode of the original Full Metal Alchemist series.

kiwigreeneyesJul 22, 2011 6:10 AM

Jul 21, 2011 11:33 PM

Jan 2011
"Robots are different from androids!" Kamon, FlCl
"Gay Christmas, I mean France" Hetalia Narrator
"You mean all of that was just your dream? Ichitaka you bastard!" Teratan, I''s
"Then I'll tell everyone at school you geeks ganged up on her and *bleep*ed her!" Haruhi Suzumiya
Jul 22, 2011 8:01 AM

Dec 2009
... actually the FLCL one was cyborgs, not androids. =P
Jul 22, 2011 11:35 AM

May 2010
"The first gift you gave me was death. How will I ever repay you?" (Tomoe, Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen)
Jul 22, 2011 11:00 PM
Jan 2008
from Castle in the Sky

Dola: "Gotta start talkin' like a real pirate!"
Sheeta: "I've been practicing. Um, HAAAR, matey! Shiver me timbers."
Dola: "Keep practicin'."

Charles: "Sheeta, can you make pudding? I LOVE pudding!"
Louie: "I get to lick the spatula!"
Henri: "And I like chocolate cake with that, oh, what's that frosting? It's kinda pink and swirly, with...."
Dola: "WILL YOU SHUT UP!? Ah, what can I tell you? They just... really like dessert."

There are lots of other great exchanges between the pirates that always leave me in stitches. These two examples are among them.

Ashi-taka: "Look, everyone! This is what hatred looks like! This is what it does when it catches hold of you! It's eating me alive, and very soon now, it will kill me! Fear and anger only make it grow faster!"
Lady Eboshi: "I'm getting a little bored of this curse of yours, Ashi-taka! Let me just cut the damn thing off!"

from Princess Mononoke

I was really surprised to hear Minnie Driver's Lady Eboshi actually utter a four letter word like that, especially since I was so used to her Jane in Tarzan. Even so, I think this is a better role for her.

"Don't tell a dwarf how to fight his battles!" - Ghim, Record of Lodoss War

"Oh, when, oh, when will I ever learn to pick the right men?" - Grandis, Nadia, The Secret of Blue Water

Grandis: "All you ever think about is the rules! That's why you look older than your age!"
Electra: "What was that?"
Jul 23, 2011 5:40 PM

Jan 2011
XTApocalypse said:
... actually the FLCL one was cyborgs, not androids. =P

Well it's been a while since I saw the ep
Jul 25, 2011 11:18 AM

Nov 2007
From Lost Universe. I don't think the sub has the same line.

Dark Seeder: I offer you my hand one last time.
Kain: Well...you know what you can do with your hand.
Aug 11, 2011 6:00 PM

Nov 2007
In one of the Queen's Blade episodes, even though it's supposed to take place in swords and sorcery times, Leina is talking with that angel girl and she uses the phrase "Sucks to be you"
Aug 12, 2011 8:01 AM

Dec 2009
That's not as bad as InuYasha using the word "yo" and referencing turkeys.
Aug 13, 2011 10:43 AM
Aug 2009

"Everyone in this place is unhappy, and since they're unhappy, they're probably looking for someone worse off than they are."
Aug 14, 2011 9:13 AM

Nov 2007
From Hell Girl, Hajime and his daughter Tsugumi are on an island questioning locals but they all refuse to answer.

Tsugumi: Didn't you bring your A-game?
Hajime: How do you even know that phrase? Yeah, I did.
Aug 17, 2011 1:30 PM

Nov 2007
Orphen: What's that noise coming out of your face?!

I need to use that one sometime.
Oct 16, 2011 2:05 AM

Nov 2007
High School of the Dead episode 6
Takashi Komuro: "So she lives here with a friend of hers, isn't that right? Who is she? Sarah f--king Palin?"
AngusOct 16, 2011 2:09 AM
Mar 8, 2012 1:17 PM

Nov 2007
I should have paid more attention to episode 20 of Fate/stay Night, but there's a line in the dub where Saber goes: "Date? I'm sorry I'm not familiar with that acronym."
Apr 9, 2012 10:10 PM

Feb 2012
“A boy has the right to dream. There are endless possibilities stretched out before him. What awaits him down the path he will then have to choose. The boy doesn’t always know. At some point the boy then becomes an adult and learns what he was able to become. Joy and sadness forever will accompany this. He is confronted with a choice. When this happens, does he bid his past farewell in his heart? Once a boy becomes an adult he can no longer go back to being a boy, the boy is now a man. Only one thing can be said: a boy has the right to dream. For those endless possibilities are stretched out before him. We must remember all men were once boys.”
Jul 7, 2012 7:32 PM

Nov 2007
Sora no Otoshimono / Heaven's Lost Property, when Tomoki meets Nymph for the first time, says something like: They're crawling out of the woodwork!
Jul 7, 2012 9:45 PM
Jan 2008
"Gotta start talkin' like a REAL pirate!" "I've been practicing. Um... HAAR, matey! Shiver me timbers!" "Keep practisin'."
The scene in which Sheeta attempts to impress Dola with her pirate talk from CASTLE IN THE SKY. Yes, it's an extra conversation, but who cares? It's funny, it's in character, and it also fleshes out the relationship between Dola and Sheeta.
Jul 8, 2012 5:15 PM

Dec 2009
What do you mean by "extra conversation?"

That line's actually been confusing me for a while. I know I've heard it in the movie, but every time I watch my DVD of it I can never seem to catch it. Was it removed on the DVD release, or something?
Jul 9, 2012 11:24 AM
Sep 2011
You must have the new release of the DVD or something. Along with Kiki's Delivery Service, they were rereleased with most of the dialogue that was added in for the dub removed.
Jul 9, 2012 11:38 AM

Dec 2009
I think I have the latest Disney one, yes.

Well, shoot. That sucks for me.
Sep 1, 2012 5:54 PM

Apr 2011
"What a digital dummy!" Mokuba, 4kids Yugioh
Sep 1, 2012 8:17 PM

Dec 2009
I keep forgetting to post this, but... I was watching one of the Slayers series and one of the characters uttered what had to be the worst dub pun I've ever heard.

While fleeing a giant sea monster...

"I think it wants to eat me just for the halibut!"

(Really?)
Sep 3, 2012 4:22 PM

Nov 2007
Wow, puns like that make me think of Rocky and Bullwinkle days.
Sep 10, 2012 12:32 PM

Nov 2007
I liked this dialogue from El Cazador de la Bruja episode 24

Nadie: What’s Maxwell’s demon?
Blue-Eyes: You don’t know?
Nadie: Yeah, no.
Blue-Eyes: It’s a theoretical model created in an attempt to halt the increase in entropy, breaking the second law of thermodynamics. Entropy refers to the movement of molecules, exciting surrounding molecules, causing them to begin moving as well. It assumes the existence of an entity, or demon, capable of preventing the natural movement of molecules, an exchange of energy which completely negates Newton’s second law. (Nadie’s spoon lowers). (pauses) Should I continue?
Nadie: Can you explain it more simply?
Blue-Eyes (lighter tone) There’s a scientific theory called Maxwell’s demon. And if it were a reality, WHOLE BUNCHES of power could be produced with no real limitations. Better?
Nadie: Don’t have to be a bitch.
Blue-Eyes: Shall I try one more time with smaller words?
Nadie growls.

When Blue-Eyes changes her tone, it's not cartoony but gives the attitude of an elementary school teacher or someone on a kids show. Couple with Nadie's usual "yeah, no" remarks that keep the dub current.
AngusSep 10, 2012 12:36 PM
Sep 13, 2012 6:34 PM

Dec 2009
Angus said:
Couple with Nadie's usual "yeah, no" remarks that keep the dub current.

Personally, I hate it when a dub--or anything, for that matter--uses that kind of "hipster" tone.

I also hate the word "hipster," but I can't think of anything else to describe it with.
Apr 14, 2013 7:59 PM

Nov 2007
Okay this caught me by surprise: In Fairy Tail episode 2, Lucy says "epic fail" when they are fighting Vulcan.
Apr 14, 2013 9:54 PM

Nov 2012
One my of my favorite Dub Quotes is Ghost Stories: Episode 5 - The Bloody Sports Festival, When Hajime says "You can't cancel the Festival, One little retarded boy has his heart set on this thing. Not to mention the hours and hours his very handsome personal trainer has sacrificed for the little Dweeb. If you won't think of him then consider all the Halo playing and Monkey Spanking I've sacrificed"
Apr 24, 2013 10:27 AM

Dec 2012
"I want to get to C base!"

-Kintaro Oe (Doug Smith), Golden Boy
May 15, 2013 2:43 PM

Nov 2007
Angus said:
Okay this caught me by surprise: In Fairy Tail episode 2, Lucy says "epic fail" when they are fighting Vulcan.

In episode 14, Lucy responds to Happy by saying something like: Worst. Recap. Ever.
Aug 12, 2013 1:15 AM

Nov 2007
Girls Bravo second season final episode where Kirie says "Great. I'm like catnip for lesbians."
AngusAug 13, 2013 12:24 AM
Aug 12, 2013 11:55 AM

Oct 2011
Episode 1 of Death Note:

Light Yagami: At first I wrote the names of the worst criminals I could think of, Like I was cleaning up the world one name at the time, So that eventually no one will ever do anything evil again. (...) It will be a new world free of injustice and populated by people who I've judged to be honest, kind and hard working.

Ryuk: But if you did that it would make you the only bad person left.

Only remember that quote because it's so incredibly good, and probably one of the things that got me in to Anime to begin with.
Oct 18, 2013 5:47 PM

Dec 2009
One Piece.

"You fool. Don't underestimate the limitless destructive power of giraffes. |:I "

*later*

"For the last time, giraffes are awesome. I. Love. Giraffes. |:I "
Oct 18, 2013 6:15 PM

Aug 2013
Bear in mind I might be a little off, as these are coming off the top of my head.
"You fool! You think ideals can change the world? Fine! Then why don't you go ahead and shoot me, C'MON!" - Lelouch from Code Geass last episode of R1 (Johnny Yong Bosch)
"Nothing that happens now is any of your concern! Your very existence is a mistake; you need to be erased from the earth. I'LL TAKE CARE OF NUNNALY!" - Suzaku from Code Geass (also) last episode of R1 (Yuri Lowenthal)
I loved this episode just for that crazy dynamic between Lelouch and Suzaku. Do the ends justify the means? Do they not?
"Bang" - Spike Speigel from Cowboy Bebop last episode (Steve Blum)
Must I explain?
"My bro is gone; he's dead! But he's here on my back, and here in my heart. He lives on as a part of me!!..Just who the hell do you think I am? I'm Simon. I'm not my bro. I'm ME! SIMON THE DIGGER!" - Simon from Gurren Lagann episode 11 (Yuri Lowenthal)
Two words: character development. I actually shed a tear for him.
"Heave, anchor! This ship of fools is about to embark!" - Okabe from Steins Gate episode 24 (J Micheal Tatum)
As much as his character developed, and despite the shit he went through the entire time, he still hasn't lost that one aspect, that enthusiasm, that made him so likeable in the first place.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Oct 18, 2013 11:51 PM

Mar 2012
"I'm gonna beat the shit out of Satan!"- Rin Okumura, Blue Exorcist
Oct 19, 2013 12:44 AM

Aug 2012
--One Piece, 4Kids

I'm shocked. 4Kids actually told someone to commit suicide.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Oct 23, 2013 3:18 PM

Nov 2007
Well that would send him to the Shadow World ;)
Oct 23, 2013 9:50 PM

Nov 2007
B Gata H Kei episode 4, Yamada talks about "getting it on like Donkey Kong".
Nov 7, 2013 2:54 PM

Nov 2007
B Gata H Kei episode 11, Akai-sensei at the party says "I believe the children are our future; teach them well and let them lead the way."
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What is a dub song from a children’s anime dub that you love the most?

funtime43_tr - Mar 9

0 by funtime43_tr »»
Mar 9, 9:42 AM

» Why do you like English dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

coolcat - Apr 27, 2010

325 by Edawg0066 »»
Jan 1, 10:57 PM

» English dub fan, what do you think of these Japanese dubs of American cartoons?

mdo7 - Aug 31, 2020

2 by mdo7 »»
Nov 14, 2023 5:43 PM

» What are your Top 5-10 Favorite English Dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KidRyan - Mar 14, 2009

261 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Oct 13, 2023 1:55 AM

» In Defense of 4kids/New York voice actors.

funtime43_tr - Oct 25, 2022

1 by SwatKat1990 »»
Jan 18, 2023 5:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.