Forum Settings
Forums

Do you find it easier to finish shows you don't particularly like and/or that it takes longer to finish those you do like?

New
May 24, 2011 3:11 PM

Apr 2010
When I look at my 10s and a couple of my 9s (excluding ones that I watched while airing) I realise it took me much longer to finish them than quite a few shows I rated 5 or 6. I imagine this is because you don't care if you're getting the maximum enjoyment out of watching a show, and simply want to have it as white noise or just finish it, but do others feel the same way I do?

Cases in point would be Dennou Coil (10) and Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto: Natsu no Sora (5). The former took me several months to finish, because not only do you have to be very awake to watch that show, but I needed to be in the right mood - it wasn't a case of not wanting it to be over, but simply that I didn't want to waste a second of it (I also managed not to watch any other anime than it while watching the second half because I didn't want to ruin the atmosphere, which is... sad)

The latter, on the other hand, I watched in three sittings. It's not even the sort of show that's flawed but genius, it's just... boring; yet I managed to down it quickly and I barely noticed it.

Fractale (3) even further corroborates my theory, though that might have been the second half in a day because it was so compellingly stupid, the anime equivalent to Jackass if you will.

So, MAL, do you feel the same way? Or am I a crazy tsundere bastard for these series?
May 24, 2011 3:23 PM

Nov 2010
totaly the other way around xD i can finish a anime i like in a single night but if i don't realy care for it (bokura ga ita and death note) it will take me weeks to get trough it (or get me to drop it)
May 24, 2011 3:36 PM

Apr 2010
Hmmmm its hard to say... I'd say its good to sit and take in an anme you truely enjoy... Took me a long time to finish elemental gelade... It really does help you enjoy the experience (this is why I like watching shows that are currently airing. Gives me a week respite between each episode. Katanagatari was even better, one hour a month for 12 months)

But if I really don't like a show but still feel a need to watch it (for whatever reason). I will probably watch that even slower...

In general I watch all anime really slowly ^^
May 24, 2011 3:38 PM

Jun 2009
I find it takes forever to finish shows you do not like, the episodes seem eternal.

If I enjoy the show, the episodes seem to fly by.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
May 24, 2011 3:41 PM
Apr 2011
There's a bit of a balance in there.

If a show is really good and catches me early on, it's not hard for me to finish it quickly.
It more boils down to how much time I have a available to watch I think. Anything watchable will be finished at some point.
May 24, 2011 3:44 PM

Jan 2009
I don't tend to watch shows that I don't have some level of enjoyment in. Unless it's with friends, which is a different story in itself.
May 24, 2011 8:46 PM

May 2011
Suzune-chan said:
I find it takes forever to finish shows you do not like, the episodes seem eternal.

If I enjoy the show, the episodes seem to fly by.

I agree...I mean, I spent about 2 months to finish FullMetal Alchemist that I think 'ok' and only 2 weeks to finish Death Note AND Chobits that I love :D
May 24, 2011 9:08 PM

Nov 2010
usually the anime i enjoy a lot ill finish extremely fast. the one exception being Gintama. back before i knew there would be a continuation it took me a pretty long time to finish it up. i was running some crazy marathons on that series at first, but when i got near the end i slowed down a lot because i just couldnt stand to see the series come to an end.

But as for series i dont like or they are just average, i cant stand it. i find that im having to force myself to watch them, and i have to get drunk or high to make them atleast somewhat more enjoyable lol.
May 24, 2011 9:21 PM

Jan 2008
If I like something, I'll finish it, and fast at that, assuming I have access to all the episodes. If I don't like it, chances are I'll drop it, why bother to watch it if you don't like it?

Though I have a bad tendency to drop or put an Anime on hold near the last few episodes...
May 24, 2011 9:27 PM

Nov 2010
the thing is if ive watched enough of a series i dont like and i keep waiting for it to get better and it doesnt, i have to finish it or it will bug me lol. i guess thats some type of OCD.
May 24, 2011 9:37 PM

Jan 2008
To add, I find it pretty rare these days to find a Anime that I'll keep liking more each episode, usually I dislike the series a little less each episode, and thus, making it slower for me to watch.

An example would be Star Driver. Was epic at first with that Galactic Pretty Boy transformation but seeing that for every episode and super predictable fights, the series became so dull I almost dropped it, didnt even finish the series until like 3 weeks after it finished.
May 24, 2011 10:05 PM

May 2011
Personally, I am extremely picky to begin with. If I don't like something, I usually don't make it even close to halfway through...I drop shows often.
May 24, 2011 10:09 PM

Oct 2010
Think it's the other way around for me...
May 25, 2011 3:30 AM

Apr 2010
I find it more difficult to end shows I don't like.

May 25, 2011 3:59 AM

Nov 2008
Not really, but I am trying to save Rose of Versailles so that it becomes my 200th completed anime.

Thie follow part is off topic rambling.

But under normal circumstances, no, it's easier to finish a good anime than a bad one, mostly because average anime drag on big time for me, meaning I want to stop watching long before they approach their conclusion, so I put a lot of them on-hold.

I do get what you are saying about having to be in a certain mood to watch an anime, though. I have been watching Saraiya Goyou since it first aired last spring and I really like it (to the point of believing that it is the best anime of 2010), but only now, almost a year later, am I finally bothering myself to complete it.
Rosa_FOEtidaMay 25, 2011 4:02 AM
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
May 25, 2011 4:09 AM

Jun 2009
Interesting question.

With a show I like I can easily watch 8 or so episodes a day but only if I have enough time. If it's someting that really hooks me, I just want to know how it continues and finish rather fast.

When I watch a show I don't particularly like (but that isn't downright bad either) I actually tend to finish them quite fast, too since I want to get over with it so I can watch a new show.

But then again there are both shows I like and shows I dislike that took me rather long to finish. In the end it really depends on the individual show and what mood I'm in.
May 25, 2011 4:10 AM
May 2009
I usually pile the stuff i like, So i guess it takes longer, if you assume I am watching it, but not watching it till I get a decent number of episodes lined up for one run through.
May 25, 2011 5:09 AM

Jul 2009
No, I don't find it easy to finish shows I don't like. I simply don't finish them. If I don't like a show then I drop it, simple as that.

For example, take the anime Fractale. I was really behind this show when it was first circulating the internet. Interesting premise? Check. Great character designs? Check. Great first episode? Check. Fractale seemed great and I was determined to finish it. I watched the first and second episodes the day after they came out but held off for weeks any subsequent episodes. I watched up to episode five before dropping the series (glad I did, from what I heard Fractale was a giant disappointment).

My point being that it took me at least a month or more to watch five episodes of Fractale. The second episode didn't really click with me so I sat there and watched other things that I was interested in until, some time later, I decided to watch and eventually drop the series. Basically, because I didn't like Fractale I found it very hard to watch it.

So it's very hard for me to actually watch a series I don't like. If I don't look forward to it then I'm going to keep pushing it back and back and entertain myself with series I'm more interested in. This is really only the case with weekly airing series, though. If I own something on DVD or it has finished airing then I might space it out to enjoy it longer.
May 25, 2011 5:47 AM

Mar 2009
It depends on how much time I have and on my mood. If I have enough time and I'm in the anime mood, then I can complete any series quickly since I like finishing whatever I start as much as possible.
May 25, 2011 6:10 AM
Jul 2018
The time I take to watch a show is not correlated to my level of enjoyment. I can speed through a show because I'm genuinely enjoying it, or because I must have some sort completionist OCD (otherwise I wouldn't put up with that shit).
May 25, 2011 6:28 AM

May 2010
For me, how long i take to finish an anime has more to do with the pace of the anime itself, rather than how much I've enjoyed watching it.
Shows with a rapid pace (Excel Saga, for example) normally take me a much shorter time to finish (a couple of seatings at most) than shows with a slower pace (Mushishi took me almost a week to finish).
May 25, 2011 8:34 AM

Apr 2008
Usually it takes me longer to finish series that I just think are okay, if it's a series that I don't like I don't even try to finish it. Though sometimes if it's a series that I really like I may watch it slower just because it's so good that I don't want it to end.
SevenMay 25, 2011 9:44 AM
May 27, 2011 6:00 AM
Feb 2011
I would like to say the anime's I enjoyed took longer to finish, because that would mean I get to watch them longer, but it's the other way around the anime's i don't enjoy take me a lot longer to finish where i will watch something i like in a single sitting.
May 27, 2011 7:25 AM

Feb 2010
Depends on a lot of things, actually.
The available time is a huge factor. It took me a month to finish the 2nd series of Ghost in the Shell, because I didn't have time to watch it.
Then there are shows like Mushishi and Evangelion where I don't watch more than two episodes in a sitting.
If I have time and I am in the mood I usually finish a series in 3-4 days. I tend to go faster if I don't like the series that much though
May 27, 2011 7:28 AM

Feb 2008
I drop shows I don't like.
May 27, 2011 8:39 AM

Aug 2010
I finish shows I like really fast because I want to watch it constantly. If I don't watch it I think about it all day.
May 27, 2011 8:58 AM
Nov 2007
isn't that the opposite of how it should be? Although I can understand why you'd want to take longer to finish something you're enjoying
May 28, 2011 1:47 AM

Feb 2010
can't say this applies to me. I was watching Casshern Sins and wasn't really liking it and so to me it felt like watching it would never end. I refuse to drop anime so I managed to finish it but when I really enjoy a series the time flies by. I always seem to ask myself damn why did I watch it so fast and it even tempts me to rewatch it.
May 28, 2011 11:50 AM
Apr 2011
Actually more or less it depends on the number of episodes. I fly through 12/13-episode length anime pretty fast (day or two), but somehow doubling that to 24/26-episode anime takes forever. Somehow more than 2x as long (~a week).
May 28, 2011 11:52 AM

Jun 2008
Not an easy question. First of all,
LolitaDecay said:
I drop shows I don't like.

Personally, I watch anime slowly in general.
It happened very few times that I managed to complete an anime in less than a week. Usually it takes me months to finish them.
Of course I tend to complete an anime that I enjoy faster than a series that I find a little boring. Not always though. For instance, I still have to complete Aoi Bungaku, even though I really like it. I'm such a procrastinator desu. :-X

hugging six rabbits and having pink nightmares
May 28, 2011 11:20 PM
Oct 2010
This is so true for me, I thought I was very weird cause i do this often(although there are exceptions) and I didn't know why. For some reason I try and finish shows I dislike faster than those I like. It took me 2 months to finish Toradora! not because I dislike it, in fact I think its one of the best. It might be because I have to be in the right mood and I don't want it to end. So for the most part I agree with the OP.
Jun 3, 2011 1:20 PM

Jul 2007
I've noticed that how quickly I finish a series has very little to do with my enjoyment (except in cases where I utterly hate it and it gets dropped). Rather, certain genres and types of anime are more easily watchable: I'm most likely to speed through mahou shoujo, light comedy, and anything else that's episodic. On the other hand, It takes me longer to watch things that I enjoy more when I'm in a certain mood or that require a lot of thinking.

oh, these little earthquakes
Jun 3, 2011 1:38 PM

Sep 2009
It's hard to stop watching good shows that get you hooked. Though sometimes I just want to get over the mediocre anime and watch something better as fast as possible.
Jun 3, 2011 11:18 PM

May 2011
I hate finishing anime that i like and i hate dropping shows even if i hate em.....

so Fairy Tail needs to end and the last two Rebuild of Evangelion movie need to come out....
Jun 4, 2011 2:06 AM

Dec 2009
If I really like an anime then I will watch it really fast. When I watched Great Teacher Onizuka I would watch like 20 or so episodes a day. If I do not like the show too much then it can take me quite a while to watch it. I watch Zach Bell in 133 days and all the episodes were out.

“Many of us crucify ourselves between two thieves - regret for the past and fear of the future.”
~ Fulton Oursler
Jun 7, 2011 7:02 PM

Jun 2011
It's usually really hard for me to finish a series I like a lot. Actually, I hardly ever finish the ones I really like. I stop close to the end and keep rewatching them or something. It's just so sad if they are over and I'm always afraid that I may not like the ending. I get close to the ending pretty fast usually though if I like a series a lot.
Series that are okay, but not that amazing take longer for me to get through, but then I usually finish them.

More topics from this board

» Best Trap Character in Anime? ( 1 2 )

GoatPieceLuffy - 2 hours ago

53 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
44 seconds ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 2 hours ago

17 by Shipfan66 »»
3 minutes ago

» Categorize your Profile Favorite Characters as sadist, masochist, or switch

IpreferEcchi - 6 minutes ago

0 by IpreferEcchi »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - Yesterday

23 by epidemia78 »»
13 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

36 by epidemia78 »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.