Forum Settings
Forums

Are there Anime shows created by Western Studios?

New
May 1, 2011 10:43 PM

Dec 2010
What i mean by this is the art design/style pretty much.

I guess itd be better to ask if there are any mangas created by western mangakas since most if not all anime shows are manga adaptations.

Panty & Stocking is a japanese anime with a western style (some compare it to power puff girls). I'm looking for the opposite.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
May 1, 2011 11:33 PM

May 2010
Teen Titan?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
May 2, 2011 2:16 AM

Nov 2008
You won't find them here. Western-made anime style cartoons don't count as anime, even if Japanese studios were involved in animated it (example: Dante's Inferno).

Anyway, there's a few french-made ones such as Code Lyoko and Totally Spies, as well as American-made ones like Avatar: The Last Airbender.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
May 2, 2011 2:55 AM

Mar 2011
Not to mention Dragon Hunters.
Mr. Wonsworth, you may NOT eat my scones!
May 2, 2011 8:06 AM

Dec 2010
The shows you guys mentioned still look very much Western, even though they do got the big eyes and whatnot.

I'm just surprised that its hard to find a Western show that has been modelled after their Japanese counterpart.

May 2, 2011 8:11 AM
Nov 2008
Totally Spies. It got the whole 'anime-style character design' thing going with other western animation studios.
May 2, 2011 8:56 AM

Jan 2008
Wakfu. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zuh0Xaw9xA

Though some of its episode was animated by the Japanese. Other than that, it's mostly French. And then there's the co-production between French and the Japanese on Oban Star Racer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIKQBNlwhHA

I have to say. The French are pretty awesome when they DO an animated work. For example, Oggy and the Cockroaches is still the best current slapstick cartoon that on occasions, manage to be better than Tom and Jerry.
May 2, 2011 9:24 AM

Jun 2008
Not very many, at least over here. Most "western style anime", actually comes from Japan (the actual animation), with guidance and supervision from a Western company.
May 2, 2011 9:59 AM

Aug 2009
Xiaolin Showdown
Samurai Jack
The Boondocks
You could check this, you might find some titles to your liking.

Ammish said:

I have to say. The French are pretty awesome when they DO an animated work. For example, Oggy and the Cockroaches is still the best current slapstick cartoon that on occasions, manage to be better than Tom and Jerry.

I have to agree with this.
May 2, 2011 10:16 AM

Apr 2011
I know that the manga series Yonen Buzz is drawn by a German woman and set in Japan.

It's... okay, I guess. The band it's about is basically a rip-off of Nirvana. : \
Because there is no 'U' in Color.
May 2, 2011 12:14 PM

Jul 2010
DesolateOne said:
What i mean by this is the art design/style pretty much.

I guess itd be better to ask if there are any mangas created by western mangakas since most if not all anime shows are manga adaptations.

Panty & Stocking is a japanese anime with a western style (some compare it to power puff girls). I'm looking for the opposite.

Short answer: No.
Long answer: Nope.

Panty & Stocking is 'Westernesque' because it's deliberately making fun of American animation. GAINAX got the idea for it when they saw shows like Drawn Together and wondered 'Why do Americans find this gross stuff funny?' and 'Hah, bet we could do this' and so they did. Everything about it is deliberately making fun and parodying American cartoons; the awful Flash-esque art style and choppy animation, the 30 second theme song that just consists of the title of the show being repeated, title cards before each segment, the terrible gross-out humor mimicking Ren & Stimpy and Drawn Together,and so forth. It does a great job making fun of American animation, but it's still an anime.

Stuff like Teen Titans, Boondocks, and Avatar may have 'anime art' but they still miss a lot of things about anime (compared to P&SwG which did its research) and both of them are still extremely American even if you get past the art and chibi expressions. The writing, humor, censorship, format, and feel are all distinctively American. We've yet to really get a show comparable to P&SwG.

The main point is who the show is aimed for. An argument people use is "'it's got some animation done in Japan, it's anime!" which is also false. That's because America more or less doesn't do hand drawn animation anymore; and everything that uses it is outsourced to other countries. The exception being anything done in Flash animation or CG. Japan may animate something, but Japan also animated Tiny Toons, Spider-Man the Animated Series, and Animaniacs back in the day and that doesn't make them anime. They're written and made for American audiences. Just like how Oban Star Racers was animated in Japan (since it was the only company that would accept the creator's idea: America and France rejected him because they wanted to make a bunch of changes to his show. America hates female leads, for example, and wanted to make Molly a boy before they would make it) it's still written by and created by a French guy, though.
May 2, 2011 12:42 PM

Sep 2010
the first paragraph of titanXL explain why i hate P&S (read: dislike) so much.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 2, 2011 1:04 PM

Jun 2009
Leonard93 said:

Same.
May 2, 2011 1:12 PM

Nov 2010
all i know of (and didn't even know these where counted as anime but goes to show hehe)

Ahiru no Quack

Dondon Domeru to Ron

Ox Tales

these are dutch/belgian/japanese cartoons
May 2, 2011 1:29 PM

Feb 2010
Leonard93 said:
Jrittmayer said:
Leonard93 said:

Same.

I actually appreciated the fact that Gainax tried to do something rather unique. "Appreciated" is past tense, by the way, because while I have no problem to their choice of animation style, music and humor, the writing was rather horrendous. Much the same way I didn't like Teen Titans or the like trying to do anime-style humor, I feel Japan should also "stick to its guns," so to speak.
May 2, 2011 1:41 PM

Apr 2011
TitanXL said:

Panty & Stocking is 'Westernesque' because it's deliberately making fun of American animation. GAINAX got the idea for it when they saw shows like Drawn Together and wondered 'Why do Americans find this gross stuff funny?' and 'Hah, bet we could do this' and so they did. Everything about it is deliberately making fun and parodying American cartoons; the awful Flash-esque art style and choppy animation, the 30 second theme song that just consists of the title of the show being repeated, title cards before each segment, the terrible gross-out humor mimicking Ren & Stimpy and Drawn Together,and so forth. It does a great job making fun of American animation, but it's still an anime..

Sounds like someone doesn't know what they are talking about!

For one thing, the animation in Panty and Stocking is of a very high standard; much like any other Gainax show. It also experimented with a range of styles; just look at the episode directed by Osamu Kobayashi (5B) and the episode featuring Chuck in a range of different styles.

It would be silly to suggest that it is not parodying American animation as the style is reminiscent of several American cartoons; however your suggestion that they are holding it to ridicule rather than lovingly poking fun lacks evidence. If you look back to previous title FLCL, they adopted a South Park style in one of the later episodes - and that was a case of experimentation, not making fun of the art style South Park uses.

In addition, Gainax have had a cartoon like vibe about them since Top wo Nerae!; particularly with titles like 'Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi' and 'Mahoromatic' but even the likes of 'Neon Genesis Evangelion' have traces of it.

Then there's the fact that the director of Panty and Stocking, Hiroyuki Imaishi, previously directed Dead Leaves, a title with an art style resembling an American comic books that was blatantly not a parody, and was simply a show with an experimental art style

It sounds like you are just taking your own prejudices against Western animation and assuming that Gainax follow a similar line. I would hope that the staff at Gainax are mature enough to welcome different styles as new perspectives, rather than snobbishly look down on them because they think "Anime style is perfection".

I have some advice for you, good sir.

Don't talk about stuff you know nothing about; you might make yourself look like an idiot.
May 2, 2011 1:42 PM

Apr 2011
I think people consider these more as cartoons.
May 2, 2011 2:46 PM

Feb 2010
EveryOtherColour said:

Don't talk about stuff you know nothing about; you might make yourself look like an idiot.

<red>There are better ways to inform someone if you're so inclined.</red>
May 2, 2011 2:47 PM

Jul 2010
EveryOtherColour said:
TitanXL said:

Panty & Stocking is 'Westernesque' because it's deliberately making fun of American animation. GAINAX got the idea for it when they saw shows like Drawn Together and wondered 'Why do Americans find this gross stuff funny?' and 'Hah, bet we could do this' and so they did. Everything about it is deliberately making fun and parodying American cartoons; the awful Flash-esque art style and choppy animation, the 30 second theme song that just consists of the title of the show being repeated, title cards before each segment, the terrible gross-out humor mimicking Ren & Stimpy and Drawn Together,and so forth. It does a great job making fun of American animation, but it's still an anime..

Sounds like someone doesn't know what they are talking about!

For one thing, the animation in Panty and Stocking is of a very high standard; much like any other Gainax show. It also experimented with a range of styles; just look at the episode directed by Osamu Kobayashi (5B) and the episode featuring Chuck in a range of different styles.

It would be silly to suggest that it is not parodying American animation as the style is reminiscent of several American cartoons; however your suggestion that they are holding it to ridicule rather than lovingly poking fun lacks evidence. If you look back to previous title FLCL, they adopted a South Park style in one of the later episodes - and that was a case of experimentation, not making fun of the art style South Park uses.

In addition, Gainax have had a cartoon like vibe about them since Top wo Nerae!; particularly with titles like 'Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi' and 'Mahoromatic' but even the likes of 'Neon Genesis Evangelion' have traces of it.

Then there's the fact that the director of Panty and Stocking, Hiroyuki Imaishi, previously directed Dead Leaves, a title with an art style resembling an American comic books that was blatantly not a parody, and was simply a show with an experimental art style

It sounds like you are just taking your own prejudices against Western animation and assuming that Gainax follow a similar line. I would hope that the staff at Gainax are mature enough to welcome different styles as new perspectives, rather than snobbishly look down on them because they think "Anime style is perfection".

I have some advice for you, good sir.

No, they pretty much admitted it was Drawn Together that inspired them and gave them the idea. And by 'awful animation' I'm specifically referring to the shots where the characters looked like cardboard cutouts being shifted around slightly. Obviously there's scenes like the transformations and certain scenes like the barf monster episode aren't include in that statement, but the art looked that way most of the time specifically to ape the American style in that regard. Whether a parody is 'ridiculing' or not I suppose is up to the individual. A parody to me is making fun of/poking fun at something, which they were definitely doing. No, not out of pure rage-inducing hatred or anything, but a parody is still making fun of something, and they obviously had a lot of fun playing up the tropes of American animation.
May 2, 2011 3:08 PM

Apr 2011
TitanXL said:
No, they pretty much admitted it was Drawn Together that inspired them and gave them the idea. And by 'awful animation' I'm specifically referring to the shots where the characters looked like cardboard cutouts being shifted around slightly. Obviously there's scenes like the transformations and certain scenes like the barf monster episode aren't include in that statement, but the art looked that way most of the time specifically to ape the American style in that regard. Whether a parody is 'ridiculing' or not I suppose is up to the individual. A parody to me is making fun of/poking fun at something, which they were definitely doing. No, not out of pure rage-inducing hatred or anything, but a parody is still making fun of something, and they obviously had a lot of fun playing up the tropes of American animation.

And in what scenes did they move around like cardboard cut-outs? I recall the animation being stellar throughout the show. At best, there were maybe two or three scenes in show with animation I would consider questionable; once right at the start of the opening episode, and one small segment of episode six (which was otherwise brilliant).

And even in those scenes, they did not move around like cardboard cut outs- the animation was simply a little choppy. If that's supposed to be poking fun at American animation, that's a pretty subtle joke don't you think?

As for whether or not they were ridiculing them or paying homage, it is up to the individual to recognise it perhaps but if their intention was to ridicule the poor quality of American Cartoons I think they would have done more to draw attention to the poor elements.

Panty and Stocking's animation was pretty damn flashy from start to finish, so if they are trying to make American cartoons look bad they aren't doing a very good job of it.
May 2, 2011 6:29 PM

Dec 2010
How did this thread turn into a Japanese vs. Western cartoon debate? :s

I don't think you guys are understanding my question or perhaps I'm not understanding you guys. I'm asking for a Western Studio that creates anime shows. No, I'm not talking about P&S, Boondocks, or Avatar: The Last Air Bender - I'm talking about visuals that LOOK like a real Japanese anime. Not only that, the actual comedy and story line and such as well.

If you guys are wondering why am I asking for all this, it's just out of curiosity. I mean, its not like the Japanese have some special powers that make them able to draw a certain way (not to discredit them for making such wonderful shows :o). If they can do it, so can Americans, French, and whovever else other than Japanese.

You know, I sorta feel it would look like English dubbed anime - without it actually being a dub, but instead the original.

May 3, 2011 7:16 AM

Sep 2010
so basically your looking for animes which arent made in japan?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 3, 2011 9:43 AM

Feb 2010
Leonard93 said:

But then that wouldn't be an anime. A horse with a genetic defect that gives it black and white stripes is still a horse. A sea snake is not an eel, baracuda's aren't sharks, ect.

I other words, impossible. The best you can hope for are co-productions, something like Afro Samurai maybe, or something with a similar creation process to Stan Lee's Ultimo.
Kyouko_AyaseMay 3, 2011 9:48 AM
May 3, 2011 9:51 AM
Apr 2011
I've had the same question before. That if I wanted to contribute to creating an anime one day, I would have to actually go over to Japan for that.
May 3, 2011 9:56 AM
Jul 2018
The closest that comes to mind is Studio 4c works, who while based in Japan have had American directors and are involved in production of American-origin franchises, in collab with Cartoon Network and Warner Bros animation.

But otherwise, not really.
May 3, 2011 9:58 AM

Nov 2009
anime can be understood as "japanese animation", if it's not made from japan japan, it wouldn't be an anime
May 3, 2011 10:02 AM

Aug 2009
Akito_Kinomoto said:
Leonard93 said:

But then that wouldn't be an anime.

Indeed. It would basically be anime-influenced animation (or which ever other terms may have been coined recently).
metamorphiusMay 3, 2011 10:22 AM
May 3, 2011 10:29 AM

Apr 2011
Akito_Kinomoto said:
EveryOtherColour said:

<red>There are better ways to inform someone if you're so inclined.</red>

There are indeed nicer ways to provide people with information, but if you're going to speak authoratively on something you don't actually know that much about, it's only natural that you will be called out if you are wrong.

The impression I got from Titan's post is that he harbors a strong dislike for Western animation, to the point that he is prejudiced against it.

He then goes on to talk about Gainax 'making fun of American animation' which to me would seem inconsistent with their history, as well as the work of the Director who seems to openly embrace Western styles.

Finally, what makes me question Titan's authority on the subject is that he seems to be confusing 'Art Style' with 'Animation'; Panty and Stocking had very high quality Animation throughout.

Art styles are open to interpretation; while one person may like PAS art style, another could hate it and they would both be right, as it is subjective.

It seems to me that what Titan really dislikes is the art style used, not the animation.

I'm not someone who takes pleasure from making other people feel stupid, just someone who takes pleasure from calling bull.

By the way, you use the ' [ ' and ' ] ' to write bbcode, rather than ' < ' and ' > '.

If you want to colour your text, you need to write:

' [ color = ___ ] ' and end it with ' [ / color ] '.

Hope that helps. :3

EDIT: Eh, I've heard of a show called 'Aeon Flux' that is from America but uses an anime style, if that hasn't been brought up already. I recall hearing of another show from the 1980s called 'The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers' although that was created in Japan for Western audiences.

Another anime that has Western influences is 'The Moomins' which was successful in both Japan and Europe... Don't know about America though.
EveryOtherColourMay 3, 2011 10:38 AM
May 3, 2011 4:13 PM

Jul 2009
Oban Star Racer was both Japanese and French; great series.
Avatar the last Airbender/ledgend of Aang seems very anime enspired, that's also very good.

I know the people behind the series Supernatural had an anime version created; there are also anime versions of Xmen and Ironman.

May 3, 2011 5:56 PM

Jul 2010
EveryOtherColour said:
There are indeed nicer ways to provide people with information, but if you're going to speak authoratively on something you don't actually know that much about, it's only natural that you will be called out if you are wrong.

The impression I got from Titan's post is that he harbors a strong dislike for Western animation, to the point that he is prejudiced against it.

He then goes on to talk about Gainax 'making fun of American animation' which to me would seem inconsistent with their history, as well as the work of the Director who seems to openly embrace Western styles.

Finally, what makes me question Titan's authority on the subject is that he seems to be confusing 'Art Style' with 'Animation'; Panty and Stocking had very high quality Animation throughout.

Art styles are open to interpretation; while one person may like PAS art style, another could hate it and they would both be right, as it is subjective.

It seems to me that what Titan really dislikes is the art style used, not the animation.

I'm not someone who takes pleasure from making other people feel stupid, just someone who takes pleasure from calling bull.
You're projecting extremely hard. P&S was a parody of US animation, GAINAX said so themselves, if you can't accept it then it's your problem; not theirs. It's not 'strong disliking' when it's completely true; the tropes they use and invoke are common tropes in American animation; there's no denying it. For your example, the beach volleyball episode had a lot of that stiff animation I'm referring to; when P&S are mocking Scanty and Kneesocks, when Garterbelt is taking bets on who will win, and various times during the match when it moves like it was animated using Flash and just sliding around the pre-rendered models. They even do turn South Parkish in one scene and the animation gets even worse.

mellors said:
The closest that comes to mind is Studio 4c works, who while based in Japan have had American directors and are involved in production of American-origin franchises, in collab with Cartoon Network and Warner Bros animation.

But otherwise, not really.

mellors said:
Studio 4C is definitely a company that gets asked to animate quite a few American shows because the creators wanted Japanese anime companies animating their shows. Madhouse is another one; apparently they think it makes their shows more authentic and 'honorary anime' if it is animated there. However it's still no real different than when Animaniacs was being animated in Japan; it's just that was before the anime boom so being animated in Japan didn't have as much 'street cred' as it does now.

The closest the topic creator is likely to find is the recent Madhouse Marvel shows. They were commissioned by Marvel to Madhouse in an attempt to get comic books more popular in Japan; which dislikes American comics and Marvel wants to expand it's market. The story and such was written by comic book writers and it was then translated and done in Japan by Madhouse. To a lesser extent, stuff like Gotham Knight is similar with DC commissioning various Japanese animators to do work for it.
May 20, 2011 6:14 PM

Oct 2009
Well, if it's made in America,it's techincally not considered anime,but there are a few american shows that seem to have been inspired by anime:

Kappa Mikey(a parody of anime)

Avatar:The Last Airbender(takes asian culture and fantasy elements and somewhat anime-like style and I believe Korean animation even worked on it some so it technically could be considered anime if you go by the rule of anything animated by people from Japan or Korea are anime and not just anything animated by the Japanese is anime)

American Dragon Jake Long(It's a continueing storyline and has asian culture references in it to some degree and it's an attempt to copy anime stlye(though not a very successful one.)

I also saw this one shows I think it was called "Angel Friends" or "Angel's Friends" or something on TV once that totally looked like an anime,but I think it was actually an american show or else I highly sensored anime(I'm not really sure.)

Jackie Chan the animated series could possibly be considered anime-inspired as well,although it's more inspired by liveaction martial-arts shows technically
Exclusively female yuri community with polls, games, member cards, and more. Join today.Recruiting Staff too!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Would you watch your fav anime again if it had a brainrot dub version?

rohan121 - Jun 30

16 by JaaShooUhh »»
4 minutes ago

» Did anime waifus evolve or Regressed since the 90s

Thy-Veseveia - Yesterday

12 by JaaShooUhh »»
7 minutes ago

» Terminator: The Anime Series | Official Announcement

deg - Nov 11, 2023

45 by Old_School_Akira »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » will you love your waifu if they become fat in the future?

deg - Yesterday

18 by Brunilde »»
9 minutes ago

» Enjoying completely diffrent things

Cielord - 8 hours ago

39 by Zarutaku »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.