Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (15) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 20, 2011 7:10 PM

Apr 2010
finaly a real ending lol... what a great song...

MAMI NOES!!! is she gonna use her wish to get her back? sounds like a bad idea lol... she better be back her fighting style is epic

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Jan 20, 2011 7:21 PM

Jun 2010
Wow, this episode was...shocking. I can't believe they killed off Mami like that, she was a pretty badass character. Regardless, this episode was fantastic. I didn't know what to think when I first watched this show but I now I'm loving it more and more.

And now I can't wait for the next episode! What will Madoka do now? Will she become a magical girl? Will her wish be to revive Mami? Hopefully she doesn't because that will be extrememly cliche, even though I like Mami alot.

And something tells me there's more to Kyubey than we know. I mean, why is he pushing Madoka and Sayako to become magical girls so badly? He must have an ulterior motive...
Jan 20, 2011 7:31 PM

Feb 2010
Oh wow.. that was... shocking, at the very least I'd say. And with those for hope, that Mami survived that.. when that shadowy figure of her dropped from the mouth of that witch, it was headless, confirm it in the spoiler:
Jan 20, 2011 7:36 PM
Jan 2010

This flashed for a brief second as soon as Sayaka and Kyuubey entered the witch's world.
Jan 20, 2011 7:49 PM

Jan 2011
I was not expecting that. >-< I love the dark atmosphere of this show, and the animation in the fight ( before the witch) with Mami was so awesome. My favorite show of the season so far. [=
Jan 20, 2011 8:00 PM

Dec 2007
...Oh God if there isn't some way to bring Mami back I will be so so sad. Maybe Madoka's wish can be for her return? Please, SHAFT? ;A;

...Also I was beyond moved by Kamijo, crying and fingering along with David Oistrakh while he listened to that CD. That broke my heart just as much as Mami's death. ...Of course keep in mind I play the violin and I know how maddening it is to want to play but not be able to for some reason, and my reasons have always been incredibly temporary. Things like needing to get a new string because one snapped, or I pulled a muscle or something. I can't even imagine being in the hospital for a prolonged period of time and thus prevented from practicing...
Ich verstehe nicht
Jan 20, 2011 8:10 PM
Jan 2008
I think what made it so gut wrenchingly horrible was that Mami finally felt like she had someone that she could rely on to help her through her troubles. I actually got sick to my stomach. Ugh.

Let's hope that if she is revived that they do it with tact, and not just *omgshesalivelol*. That would really make me angry, because so far the series has been the best show I've seen in a long time. The other shows I'm watching don't have the sense of urgency, of gravity, a real desperate situation, that this show does. It's amazing, because I've heard so many people badmouthing it as well as labeling it as just another magical girl show. Then again, people do that with every show that comes out now pretty much.

...I is sad now.
Jan 20, 2011 8:11 PM

Jul 2008
OMG this show just keeps amazing me every ep!

Jan 20, 2011 8:14 PM

Sep 2010
No amount of adorable little girls could prepare me for that.

Riga92 said:
And something tells me there's more to Kyubey than we know. I mean, why is he pushing Madoka and Sayako to become magical girls so badly? He must have an ulterior motive...

Jan 20, 2011 8:17 PM

Apr 2010
After viewing the scene a few times and pausing where Mami died... I'm pretty sure that siloutte of hers falling lacks a head. To anyone saying we can't be sure shes dead... I think shes as dead as can be.

Jan 20, 2011 8:17 PM
Jan 2010
It's also worth noting that Kyuubey mentioned rules this episode. AKA, he has beings he reports to, AKA Satan.
Jan 20, 2011 8:22 PM

Feb 2010
endtime said:

This flashed for a brief second as soon as Sayaka and Kyuubey entered the witch's world.

WTF? *rewatches that part* ... Holy shit?! Really easy to miss, wow.. just blink and you'd miss it..
For anyone curious, it's at 12:03.
Jan 20, 2011 8:26 PM

Aug 2010
Gosh, the visuals are so cool. I really want to see Madoka doing some magical girl stuff next ep though.
Jan 20, 2011 8:27 PM

Oct 2009
Man... I knew that was coming. I knew she was going to die sooner or later. When she binded Homura, I knew it was going to happen. And when she was talking with Madoka, it became certain.

I'll miss her, she was cute. But now there is going to be personal reasons for Madoka and Sayaka to fight. I love SHAFT so much.

3 episodes was short, but was enough for Mami's characters develope to the point it was okay for her to go :'(.

Lol @ Kyubey's constant evil face.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 20, 2011 8:29 PM

Jan 2010
I think Madoka is going to do the expected and try to revive Mami with her wish. I mean even though it was just minutes before she died Mami and Madoka made a sort of promise. I think Mami was really lonely and just the prospect of having a real friend to fight alongside her made her happy and not very alert during her fight with that witch. Sooo I think Madoka will feel responsible or just really sad and make that wish.

But in doing so I think it will backfire in a way. I mean reviving the dead isn't a very good idea. In the end though Madoka will become a mahou shoujo. Now about Kyubey he either has bad intentions or he really thinks Madoka needs to become a mahou shoujo for some important reason. I mean we all saw the giant tree witch thing at the start of episode one that Homura was fighting and having a hard time with so maybe if Madoka doesn't become a mahou shoujo that thing could kill alot of people.

Finally I dont think Homura is bad just that shes seen girls die fighting witches and doesn't want to drag in people like Madoka and Sayaka. What she doesn't realise though is if there aren't alot of mahou shoujos then there would be more witches to kill more innocent people.

Bah but this is all just my assumptions. Anyway its a really good Mahou shoujo that definitely exceeded my expectations and im glad i watched it. It puts an original edge of the genre of Mahou shoujo that I for one didn't expect.
Jan 20, 2011 8:30 PM

Sep 2010
prismheart said:
Gosh, the visuals are so cool. I really want to see Madoka doing some magical girl stuff next ep though.

Well your wish will probably come true pretty soon, considering

Oh. Above poster beat me to it. Oh well. ;__;
superspatsJan 20, 2011 8:33 PM
Jan 20, 2011 8:33 PM
Jan 2010
to the people that think homura is bad, or is just some bitch... she's just looking out for them.

Jan 20, 2011 8:33 PM
Jul 2009
O MAI GAUD HER HEAD WAS LIEK GONE AND HER BODY WAS LIKE *slide, splat* AND THEN AFTER THAT O GOD. IT WAS LIKE OM NOM NOM NOM. uggggghhhhh, ima have nightmares tonight -_-
Jan 20, 2011 8:35 PM

Sep 2009
Nami R.I.P
Jan 20, 2011 8:38 PM

Feb 2010

For the runes throughout the last episode.
Jan 20, 2011 8:38 PM

Oct 2010
Personally Mami's death did not really affect me much until I figured out this was not going to be in a your face but imagination insanity, basically picture Mami as the teacup and then think of it would be like the way that teacup is in the pic:

there you have what it was like for Mami to be eaten by that monster. Other than that I sympathize with her loss of her family due to the car accident and her loneliness until it got resolved by Madoka. I am sure it is very frustrating for many people when your main character is stupid enough to be paralyzed in front of the monster while she could have dodged. Regardless most disturbing part I find was when her body was wiggling while the monster ate her. That shadow of hers was also missing its head but there was no zoom so not sure about that from that far.

Rest in spoiler

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jan 20, 2011 8:43 PM

Apr 2009
*monster eats Mami*
Kyubei: Okay girls, make a wish now and become a magical girl like Mami so you can get eaten like this one day!

-___-
Jan 20, 2011 8:43 PM
Jan 2010
thanks for reminding me, xeo. here're the runes from this episode.

Jan 20, 2011 8:47 PM

Nov 2010
Mami was so badass....and kyubi seriously creeps me out...and therefore: I FREAKING LOVE THIS SHOW!....poor mami though D;
Jan 20, 2011 8:48 PM

Sep 2010
She seriously died? o.O
Eh, she seemed a little evil when she met with Homura. It was all too suspicious...
Jan 20, 2011 8:51 PM

Oct 2010
Xeo said:
For the runes throughout the last episode.
exin said:
endtime said:
to the people that think homura is bad, or is just some bitch... she's just looking out for them.
It would be nice to have that pic with episode 3 elements, wonder how long that will take? Homura is looking out for them but her interest in why Sayaka/Madoka mean something else.
endtime said:
It's also worth noting that Kyuubey mentioned rules this episode. AKA, he has beings he reports to, AKA Satan.
According to Faust, it would be so and I have a theory with mass assumptions as to why Kyuubei may be Mephistopheles from Faust.
RyanSaotome said:
After viewing the scene a few times and pausing where Mami died... I'm pretty sure that siloutte of hers falling lacks a head. To anyone saying we can't be sure shes dead... I think shes as dead as can be.
That's what I am wondering as well but again lack of zoom makes it hard to notice. I wonder if your body and soul is devoured when you die within those witches or just the body?
Sayonara7 said:
I think Madoka is going to do the expected and try to revive Mami with her wish. I mean even though it was just minutes before she died Mami and Madoka made a sort of promise. I think Mami was really lonely and just the prospect of having a real friend to fight alongside her made her happy and not very alert during her fight with that witch. Sooo I think Madoka will feel responsible or just really sad and make that wish.
I will agree to that in regards to Madoka becoming a Magical Girl. She did make Mami feel over confident which lead to her death because of not enough being "on-guard"

Jan 20, 2011 8:53 PM

Feb 2010
But seriously, all those Faust references... seems like SHAFT is scheming something big here.
>mami munch munch gulp
Also, this one is freaking me out.
Jan 20, 2011 8:55 PM

Sep 2010
Xeo said:
But seriously, all those Faust references... seems like SHAFT is scheming something big here.

And my body is ready.
Jan 20, 2011 8:57 PM

Jan 2010
Also theres a mysterious girl with a pony tail in the op and ed that we haven't seen yet.

http://img821.imageshack.us/i/mysteriousponytailgirl.jpg/
http://img411.imageshack.us/i/mysteriousponytailgirl.jpg/

Wonder what she'll have to do with things?
MahouShoujoLainJan 20, 2011 9:05 PM
Jan 20, 2011 8:59 PM

Apr 2010
FaithoftheFallen said:
Kyubei: Okay girls, make a wish now and become a magical girl like Mami so you can get eaten like this one day!

Seeing as how they woulda been killed if they didnt have any power to protect themselves with, that seems like a pretty good idea, don't you think? Either become a magical girl or die. That cat thing couldn't have expected the other girl to come since he didn't even know she followed them in.

Jan 20, 2011 9:03 PM

Mar 2009
I blame this on the little fluffy white thing. Final boss, anyone?
Jan 20, 2011 9:03 PM

Oct 2008
I can't be the only person who thinks all of the hints they gave about previous wishes for another person's benefit and the difference between saving that person and be thanked for saving that person are squarely directed at Homura's wish and madoka....

I really don't think she wanted to stop madoka from becoming a magic girl because she was jealous or didn't want competition. Every sign seems to point to her doing what she does and acting like a bad guy in order to protect Madoka (by driving her away from her and the world she lives in).
Jan 20, 2011 9:07 PM

Apr 2010
Mormegil said:
hahaha i dont trust anyone in that anime yet... everything is so weird... i do feel it like a final boss..

Also Mami is definitely coming back >.< she would not be a main character or even pasted in the main advertisement posters if she was going to get killed in the third episode and then forgotten..
Jan 20, 2011 9:13 PM

Dec 2007
Iri said:
Charliehsv said:
I guess Madoka is just going to use her wish for Mami next episode (I hope, lol).
What an interesting coincidence that someone who might not have otherwise taken up the offer of a wish is now presented with a situation where she will feel that she has to take it. I'm sure Mami, who apparently was strong enough to cower Homura in the first episode but suddenly so weak she couldn't take down the witch Charlotte that Homura absolutely crushed, might find that a pleasant coincidence too.

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines aswell. I can't shake the feeling that Kyubey has his hand in this.

Since people mentioned Goethe's Faust already, the way Mami died also strongly support the theory that Kyubey actually is Mephistopheles, aka a devil. According to the contract with the devil, Faust's life will be taken when he attains so much happiness through one of the wishes granted by the devil that he wants to live in that moment forever.

Mami's death, who was finally able to meet companions thanks to Kyubey's wish and obviously was extremely happy because of Madoka's words until the moment she died, is pretty much according to the contract...

Just assuming this is true, than whoever wishes for Mami's ressurection will probably die when the reuinite lol.
Jan 20, 2011 9:17 PM

Jul 2008
Before ep 3 I tough that her family would be the one killed, not Mami but giving the setting that work just fine.
They already knew how dangerous these battle was but it made Madoka understand that if she is going to risk her life then she should make full use of her wish unlike her mindset before Mami died where she would have used it for a cake.
Now she'll probably use her wish to revive Mami and the blue haired girl will use her wish for the guy she love.
Jan 20, 2011 9:29 PM

Oct 2010
Hethran said:
The death was rather unsurprising. Not only was Mami the protagonist's mentor figure, she also ignored warnings about the witch being unusually dangerous, and assumed premature victory. She might as well have been asking for it.
Yeah I agree with that and that ignorance can lead one to its downfall no matter where the warnings it should be at least taken into consideration.
Murbella said:
So far the first few episodes have been pretty dark, so i'm thinking/hoping she will either stay dead or madoka will use her wish BUT it will backfire (at the very least if she does get brought back to life, it is as someone with no magical powers or memories of them, which is related to what they were hinting at in their wish talk early).
Rather interesting hinting that you found out but I think Madoka's last wish may involve time travel. With that Madoka can go back in time as a magical girl to save Mami from being eaten.
eizeral said:
Also, I just don't think Mami is going to stay dead, otherwise they would not have wasted time putting her into the theme song, which shows the three of them--Madoka, Mami, and Sayaka--together. There's always the possibility that that was for the purpose of fooling people like me, but I dunno. Something tell's me I should doubt that. Guess we'll find out next week!

That's rather interesting and fooling around can be possible but I doubt it because clearly you can see her head not being on her body less she knows how to fool that monster.
Xeo said:
Oh wow.. that was... shocking, at the very least I'd say. And with those for hope, that Mami survived that.. when that shadowy figure of her dropped from the mouth of that witch, it was headless, confirm it in the spoiler:
Ah shit I did not think it was like that but I guess it is confirmed.

Jan 20, 2011 9:31 PM
Jan 2009
I normally don't post on here. If Madoka doesn't wish for Mami's return, barring something horrible happening to her family, I will lose a lot of respect for the character. And why have the set up of one wish that can be anything, then a character death if not to use that? Everything about wishes in this episode was about making a wish for someone else.

Sayaka for the boy
Madoka just to help people
Madoka for a cake for everyone

It stands to logic by the characters that Madoka will use her wish for someone else.

Jan 20, 2011 9:35 PM

Nov 2007
jesus, this shit is DARK! i love it!
the masochist says "hurt me! hurt me!" the sadist replies "no"
Jan 20, 2011 9:37 PM

Oct 2010
Charliehsv said:
A rather interesting first thinking in regards to comparing to Faust. It indeed is a agreement I hold very much dear to me, because simply it's undeniable. Unless Kyubey reveals what was the wish of Mami she made, this cannot be 100% sure but it makes sense. Although I was thinking that Mami would wish to have her family back more than anything. What's interesting in your statement is that Kyubey may have cursed Mami at the last moment with fear strong enough that she would stay paralyzed.
Sayonara7 said:
Also theres a mysterious girl with a pony tail in the op and ed that we haven't seen yet. http://img821.imageshack.us/i/mysteriousponytailgirl.jpg/
http://img411.imageshack.us/i/mysteriousponytailgirl.jpg/
That's interesting, they may use her to replace Mami with. Since she is in the ED maybe her magical powers with her appearance in the magical world reserved for when the OP changes?
Yumekichi11Jan 20, 2011 9:45 PM

Jan 20, 2011 9:51 PM

Apr 2010
Zombat said:
If Madoka doesn't wish for Mami's return, barring something horrible happening to her family, I will lose a lot of respect for the character.

By that same token, I may gain respect for Madoka, but I'd lose respect for the anime itself. Makes the death pointless if she just wishes her back. What I think it'll be is that she'll try to wish her back, but it ends up that wishes can't be made to revive people or something like that.

Jan 20, 2011 9:57 PM

Aug 2008
That... was a very shocking episode. To tell u the truth it has been almost 3 hrs since I watch, but I cannot shake this feeling of shock.

Jan 20, 2011 10:23 PM

Feb 2010
I really don't think Madoka's going to wish for Mami to come back, considering Mami spent the episode pretty much telling them to carefully think about their wish, ad that if they're gonna wish on behalf of another,to be DEATHLY specific, otherwise they will regret it.
Jan 20, 2011 10:24 PM
Jan 2009
RyanSaotome said:
Zombat said:
If Madoka doesn't wish for Mami's return, barring something horrible happening to her family, I will lose a lot of respect for the character.

By that same token, I may gain respect for Madoka, but I'd lose respect for the anime itself. Makes the death pointless if she just wishes her back. What I think it'll be is that she'll try to wish her back, but it ends up that wishes can't be made to revive people or something like that.

I should clarify then. It would go against all the characterization set up for Madoka so far. I actually was thinking, what if she wishes Mami back. Then when her friend is back all nice, safe and sound, then someone more important to her dies like her mother?

Jan 20, 2011 11:05 PM

Aug 2010
Shit just got real in the world of mahou shoujo
Jan 20, 2011 11:47 PM

Oct 2010
Aw man. The hottest girl in this anime just got her head bitten off. :( I wanted to see more of her badass musket firing action. At this point though, I wouldn't want her to be resurrected as it would just ruin the feeling of missing her.

But if Mami hadn't die, she might end up stealing most of the action from the girl on the whose name's on title. I mean it's ep 3 already and Madoka still hasn't become a Mahou Shoujo yet?
Jan 20, 2011 11:56 PM

Jan 2009
Tl;dr

This is indeed a pretty interesting show. In many ways.
Also, this is totally expected, but the ED is awesome.
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jan 21, 2011 12:02 AM

Dec 2008
This is shocking! I mean I think everything around me stopped when she died O_O I even got goosebumps. Like I kinda knew she was going to die because of the first episode like when they showed Homura getting beat up in the future. Mami wasn't there so I wondered. How come Mami wasnt fighting with Homura in the future? I came to the conclusion that she would die. But WTF not this fast!? I do believe that she will be brought to life I mean... yet I don't... man it's so confusing! I think I need to rewatch this pay more attention to what Mami says about her wish. I would also think they wouldn't emphasize her as much in the intro if she would be killed off that quick? Even when the three of them are dressed up in their magical outfits, I mean who would do that if she would just die and not come back? They have to choose between the guy Miki likes, Madoka's mom or Mami. That's what i think. Kyubey is so heartless! He knew it all along! D: LOL sorry about this looong paragraph I'm just still in SHOCK!? Need to get it out of my chest xD
Jan 21, 2011 12:33 AM

Jul 2010
Can't they just use their wish to revive Mami?
Jan 21, 2011 12:33 AM
Mar 2010
At first: "Hey, this witch isn't as weird as the last one; it's a cute thing with a candy head."
Then Mami gets eaten ;_;
I'm guessing Madoka will revive Mami with her wish, or she can just have that cake instead
Jan 21, 2011 12:44 AM

Sep 2009
Words can not explain how much I'm enjoying this show now. I love it when dark stuff like this happens.
Pages (15) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Apr 23, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.