Forum Settings
Forums

Does the anime you're watching affect your mood?

New
Jan 18, 2011 11:06 AM

Apr 2010
heyhey :)

well as title says, i was just wondering if different anime affect your mood?
for example:

i sometimes find myself watching the cutest anime and then for the next few hours i go around smiling like a goof :L
or after i've watched a really psycological anime i just go around questioning anything i see

is it just me or does it affect you guys too?
how do you feel after watching an anime?
or doesn't it have any affect?

please feel free to comment and answer some/all my above queries
thanks ^^
Jan 18, 2011 12:11 PM
Feb 2010
I don't really get affected by anime. If what Im watching is sad, for example alot of Clannad, then i'll be sad for maybe an hour after the episode finishes. In general Im usually very happy while watching all types of series. It makes me feel happy because I just love it so much.
Jan 18, 2011 12:20 PM

Jan 2011
Well sort of, I generally try to watch animes that are either relaxing or the ones that boost your happiness level. That's pretty much the reason I watch anime at all, to improve my mood and feel better - if that goal is achieved, good.
Jan 18, 2011 1:14 PM

Nov 2008
Very few anime in general affect my mood for long but certain characters do, seeing really sweet characters such as Aria or Rose being precious do increase my happiness level and can actually restore a day that would be ruined otherwise.

Jan 18, 2011 1:31 PM

Jun 2009
yes, not all the time though
Jan 18, 2011 1:31 PM

Jun 2009
yes, not all the time though
Jan 18, 2011 2:45 PM

Feb 2010
It's the other way round!
Depending on my mood I choose what to watch.
But if I REALLY dig something, and marathon it, then yes, it can influence my mood. But mostly it's the other way round. Like watching comedy when I'm in a mood to laugh, or watching a few episodes of Aria when I want to relax and feelgood, etc...
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 18, 2011 2:49 PM

May 2010
not the entire anime, but some episodes/scenes. same as with the manga.

Jan 18, 2011 3:20 PM

Mar 2009
Most of the time, no. There are a few anime though that can affect my mood due to certain dialogues or scenes.
Jan 18, 2011 3:50 PM
Jul 2018
only a few have done so. pretty much my favorites and a few others.
Jan 18, 2011 4:01 PM

Mar 2007
Yep, some few animes effects my mood
Instagram: Luzifurr
Jan 18, 2011 4:13 PM

Aug 2010
Yes, all the time. You should have seem me after I watched School Days, haha.
Jan 18, 2011 6:11 PM

Aug 2009
Well yes, if it's good then it makes me very excited and happy, even if the story is not a happy one. Just experiencing a great story is one of the things that makes me the most happy in life, anime or otherwise.
Jan 18, 2011 6:25 PM

Sep 2008
Really depends on the anime itself. Like a good book, it depends on whether it has a good story/plot, great or interesting characters....even the score to an anime can affect my mood.

...but if all it is is ecchi or no-brainer comedies then its just a passing moment that I'd have forgotten after the 20+ minutes of the show
Jan 18, 2011 6:56 PM
Dec 2010
Only time it has affected my mood is when a anime has done something totally unexpected and makes me angry. For example, I didnt pay any attention to how many episodes Elfen Lied had in it. Just kept hitting "next ep" every time.
Then the last episode came and I'm like hmm interesting, time for the next ep. What! No next ep! WTH, searched google for the next ep or something for like 20 minutes till I found out it wasnt happening. Then I spent the rest of the day angry, bitter, and wishing I was rich so I could finance the rest of the Elfen Lied anime myself lol.
Jan 18, 2011 7:45 PM

Jan 2010
I go into animes with a mood, if I feel like I need to be moved, I'll watch a romance or something.
If I want a nice, rich story, I'll watch something more dramatic and psychological.
If I want something easy to watch, light hearted etc - I'll watch some ecchi anime or a comedy.
For those sort of tense, sort of hyped moods there will be action anime I'll want to watch.

I watch anime to match moods, so I guess you could sort of say anime always affects my mood - by encouraging it further (or something like that).
Jan 19, 2011 9:40 AM

Jun 2008
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
But if I REALLY dig something, and marathon it, then yes, it can influence my mood. But mostly it's the other way round.
Same here. If I'm in the mood for laughing I watch a comedy, if I'm feeling obscure I watch a horror, if I'm depressed I watch a sad drama, etc.
Obviously it also happens that my mood gets influenced from what I'm watching or reading (even if it's my happier day of the year I will get depressed as soon as I watch Elfen Lied, for instance).

hugging six rabbits and having pink nightmares
Jan 19, 2011 9:48 AM

Apr 2010
Sometimes. If it's good and I like what I see I'll be in a pretty good mood for a while. But if it sucked then I'll probably be brooding over it for a couple hours.

Jan 19, 2011 10:54 AM

May 2010
Both ways for me, I guess... What I watch does tend to affect my mood, but what I watch is also usually decided by my mood.
If my mood does change, it lasts that way usually for up to a day...
Jan 19, 2011 12:09 PM
May 2009
Depends, if its stuff like Clannad or Kanon and Air, then yeah. Even Angel Beats.

One Piece can have the same affect. Though I find that Happy or Exciting Moods tend to last alot shorter in comparison to sad and depressing.
Jan 19, 2011 12:46 PM

Apr 2008
Only a few anime really do that to me. I could be in the worst mood, but Ouran can cheer me up. The End of Evangelion made me depressed for 4 hours in just a single viewing. And then there are shows that are so ridiculous (like Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt) that I'd be in shock for the next few days just thinking about the insanity that I had just witnessed.
Jan 19, 2011 1:18 PM

Jun 2008
Of course it does.
If it's sad, i get sad.
If it's funny, i get happy.
Jan 19, 2011 1:34 PM

Dec 2008
it really does, whenever i see one of these anime's where the main toon of the show is working out to get stronger i spend 1-2 hours running or working out while im still pyhsked. and when i see an anime with a really sad endning i spend the rest of the day being sad, unless i watch something funny afterwards.
Jan 19, 2011 3:35 PM

Jan 2011
It actually happens to me a lot. for example I just finished watching Ouran High School Host Club, and I can't help smiling every time I remember it. or when I watch naruto I end up thinking a lot, or remembering the most amazing stuff from the chapters I saw.
Jan 19, 2011 3:55 PM
Jan 2011
To some extent, yes. Ep 20 of K-on took away like 6 hours of my sleep. God I'm such a fag -.-
Jan 19, 2011 4:09 PM

Jul 2007
It does sometimes, a few examples; clannad after story was heartbreaking ... and a show like Kimi ni Todoke made me feel happy and funny inside hehe. Other than that not much.
Jan 21, 2011 2:33 AM

Apr 2010
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
But if I REALLY dig something, and marathon it, then yes, it can influence my mood. But mostly it's the other way round. Like watching comedy when I'm in a mood to laugh, or watching a few episodes of Aria when I want to relax and feelgood, etc...

i totally didn't think about that. i do sometimes end up watching certain anime to fit my moods but mostly i get anime mood swings after i've watched an episode ^^

so to all of you who are the reverse, does that mean you never watch serious anime's when you're really cheery or lighthearted shows when you're feeling serious?

lol you don't have to answer my question ... just wondering :P
Jan 21, 2011 3:24 AM

Apr 2009
slice of life makes me happeh
Jan 21, 2011 7:32 PM

Aug 2009
Yes, sometimes it even affects my attitude towards people. If I finish watching an episode with a very mature character in it, I might act more mature than usual. It's a little hard to explain but that's just how it is. xD

More topics from this board

» Do you watch anime on Funimation???

DesuMaiden - 3 hours ago

11 by ryan77999 »»
31 seconds ago

» show me your anime 3x3

707supremacist - 3 hours ago

26 by ryan77999 »»
1 minute ago

» What Studio have you completed the most Anime from? ( 1 2 3 )

ryo-san - Jun 9, 2023

122 by joseifan »»
2 minutes ago

» who was your first/best anime waifu?

Coldsp33d - 11 hours ago

24 by mahyur »»
2 minutes ago

» How would you describe modern mainstream anime?

RobertBobert - 10 hours ago

48 by DigiCat »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.