Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Certain Magical Index (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 4, 2010 7:04 PM

Aug 2009
I know it's a little too early to ask for a third season. But I just can't get enough of this. Anyone else think there'll be a 3rd season?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 4, 2010 7:13 PM

Oct 2008
The second season isn't finished yet! WAIT!!
Dec 4, 2010 7:24 PM
Jul 2018
if it doesnt develop a story soon i dont think im gonna be smelling a season 3. just my opinion.
Dec 4, 2010 9:31 PM

May 2007
I can't help but shake the feeling we will be shackled with another season of Railgun and then if we are lucky, a season 3.
My anime list
Dec 4, 2010 11:32 PM

Feb 2009
Surely there will be a third season, the novels are best-sellers in Japan, and this second season will only reach the 14° novel, and there are 22 novels published. This is one of the strongest products of J.C. Staff, along with Shakugan no Shana, same series that will have a third season, and is not even as popular as Index is. So be patient, I think that first we will see a second season of Railgun (that for me, is a waste of time) and maybe in 2 years (or before, I hope) we'll see the continuation of Index, that finally gets a serious tone, and take us to the climax of the story.
Dec 5, 2010 1:04 AM

Aug 2010
You're all biribiri haters.

I welcome our new Railgun Season 2 overlords.

I would also love Index3, though.
Dec 5, 2010 2:59 AM
Jul 2018
Thillygooth said:

i like misaka but railgun is more about her annoying friends than it is about her.
Dec 5, 2010 12:58 PM

Feb 2009
jpem said:
Thillygooth said:

i like misaka but railgun is more about her annoying friends than it is about her.

Finally an honest answer. Me too, I don't have nothing against Mikoto, but railgun is more about hanging out with their friends to do nothing, and for that, I better watch K-on, at least you know what to expect with that. Seriously, in the whole series, she shoot 3 railguns, and in many episodes, she takes a supporting role, and almost the whole series is overwhelmingly boring, full of filler episodes. Maybe if they made a 13 eps adaptation, it could take a more serious plot
Dec 17, 2010 9:05 PM

Oct 2009
Yap, I actually love Mikoto; she's one of my favorite characthers but Railgun is like some random slice of life sitcom.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 17, 2010 10:04 PM

Feb 2008
i'm pretty much sure Index will have a 3rd season... the light novels aren't even finished yet...

as for railgun, i don't think it will have 2nd season... if there will be, it'll be just like the 1st season - no serious plot, just a bunch of loli girls doing some girly stuff...
Dec 17, 2010 11:54 PM
Dec 2008
there will be an index s3 for sure.
the novels are the most popular light novels out there in japan
at the moment, and the story gets more amazing
as the volumes go on.
as for railgun, theres not much stuff left to cover, but it will probably get a second season since it sold really well.
Dec 18, 2010 1:34 AM
Nov 2010
K
jpem said:
Thillygooth said:

Kuroko is not annoying. But you guys are :3
Dec 18, 2010 11:26 AM

Jul 2008
If there is a third season it wouldn't happen for at least, what, three years? There is already going to be a Shana season three, then hopefully a Railgun season two...
Dec 18, 2010 12:22 PM

Sep 2010
Haha I actually like railgun =u=;; I'm sure there's a chance for a second season of index :)

Dec 18, 2010 8:31 PM
Dec 2009
It would be surprising if they went for third season, since how this show have went downhill with annoying main characters, pandering to the lowest common denominator with teribbly proportionated boobs, chirpy(and bitey) lolis presented with a vague non-appealing storyline pockered with predictable 'action' sequence - you just know when the next tsundere/loli/ will blush/kick/punch/bite/boob-jiggled/get-her-panties-exposed.

Oh wait these useless mindless plot devices sell so we will see ANOTHER season.

HOOORAYYYY!!!
Dec 18, 2010 9:39 PM

Aug 2009
I don't really know about a third season. I loved the first, but the second still hasn't caught my eye yet.
Dec 20, 2010 2:37 PM

Oct 2009
XBlaze said:
I don't really know about a third season. I loved the first, but the second still hasn't caught my eye yet.

Same here
Dec 20, 2010 10:34 PM

May 2010
How you guys hate Kuroko...? Honestly, if it weren't for Kuroko and Mikoto, Railgun is worthless
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Dec 21, 2010 12:03 AM

Sep 2008
Cyclose said:
K
jpem said:
Thillygooth said:

Kuroko is not annoying. But you guys are :3

Confucius said:
How you guys hate Kuroko...? Honestly, if it weren't for Kuroko and Mikoto, Railgun is worthless

No one actually said anything about kuroko. They just said they don't like the emphasis railgun has on its' list of annoying side characters.

Do I like Mikoto? Yes. Do I like Kuroko? She has her moments, and certainly creates a good foil for mikoto. Mikoto's character development is enhanced by Kuroko's presence. When she's doing judgement work she's badass, but that weird stalker lesbian obsession thing she has going on really detracts from her character, not to mention it's taken to a degree that seems to indicate some manner of mental instability. She seems less an ally and more like Golem of Lord of the rings. Sure she'll help, but in the end she's just waiting on an opportunity to rape the heroin, and that's about the furthest thing from cool to be found. She's made worse in the spinoff than she ever was in Index, even going so far as to try and sneak Mikoto strong mind altering drugs in an attempt to get her to put out.

So in short, yes I like Kuroko, but I hate her depiction in Railgun.

Saten and uiharu are perfectly nice characters, but they really don't deserve the level of screentime they got. I mean really, we often spent more time on uiharu than we did on the heroin. That's not proper.

That's not even going into the amount of slice of life involving side characters who aren't even part of the main cast. Tertiary characters or whatever we want to call them. The landlord and the rookie cop both got their own episode. That's just flatout ridiculous. An entire episode dedicated to helping out the swim team members who need extras in a photo shoot. The show would have been fantastic if they'd just cut it down to twelve/thirteen episodes. As it was, half the time we were just going into a slice of the life of a character we never actually cared about beyond plot relevance. As much as Uiharu, Saten, rooky cop, swim team, etc etc. are all perfectly fine characters, they were not good enough to have their own spinoff. Mikoto was, but despite advertisement, they didn't give her one. They created a spinoff dedicated to everyone Mikoto has ever met, but would never be terribly relevant in the main story.

This is why Railgun sucked, because it should have been called "A particular boring set of citizens of Academy City we hadn't even thought to name before now." Obviously that doesn't roll off the tongue so well, which is how we got this misnomer.
Dec 21, 2010 4:04 PM
Dec 2009
Gangler said:

No one actually said anything about kuroko. They just said they don't like the emphasis railgun has on its' list of annoying side characters.

Do I like Mikoto? Yes. Do I like Kuroko? She has her moments, and certainly creates a good foil for mikoto. Mikoto's character development is enhanced by Kuroko's presence. When she's doing judgement work she's badass, but that weird stalker lesbian obsession thing she has going on really detracts from her character, not to mention it's taken to a degree that seems to indicate some manner of mental instability. She seems less an ally and more like Golem of Lord of the rings. Sure she'll help, but in the end she's just waiting on an opportunity to rape the heroin, and that's about the furthest thing from cool to be found. She's made worse in the spinoff than she ever was in Index, even going so far as to try and sneak Mikoto strong mind altering drugs in an attempt to get her to put out.

Saten and uiharu are perfectly nice characters, but they really don't deserve the level of screentime they got. I mean really, we often spent more time on uiharu than we did on the heroin. That's not proper.

That's not even going into the amount of slice of life involving side characters who aren't even part of the main cast. Tertiary characters or whatever we want to call them. The landlord and the rookie cop both got their own episode. That's just flatout ridiculous. An entire episode dedicated to helping out the swim team members who need extras in a photo shoot. The show would have been fantastic if they'd just cut it down to twelve/thirteen episodes. As it was, half the time we were just going into a slice of the life of a character we never actually cared about beyond plot relevance. As much as Uiharu, Saten, rooky cop, swim team, etc etc. are all perfectly fine characters, they were not good enough to have their own spinoff. Mikoto was, but despite advertisement, they didn't give her one. They created a spinoff dedicated to everyone Mikoto has ever met, but would never be terribly relevant in the main story.

This is why Railgun sucked, because it should have been called "A particular boring set of citizens of Academy City we hadn't even thought to name before now." Obviously that doesn't roll off the tongue so well, which is how we got this misnomer.

Couldn't agree more with everything you said. I wanted to like Railgun since Misaka Mikoto is probably my most favourite female anime character of all time, but I couldn't get into Railgun. Misaka was too boring in Railgun.

The character development with Kuroko was just horrid. When I first watched Index I really liked her, but now I see her as some psycho lesbian freak.

Would love Index season 3. If Shana has a season 3 then I am sure Index will have a season 3...
Jan 24, 2011 4:10 AM

Mar 2010
I would love a third season, and i haven't read the manga but i still know about one arc which I look forward to and i know that the manga is not finished and that the anime haven't caught up with manga yet

Love Mikoto <3
Hate Koroko
Jan 29, 2011 3:27 PM
Jan 2011
Viking1337 said:
I would love a third season, and i haven't read the manga but i still know about one arc which I look forward to and i know that the manga is not finished and that the anime haven't caught up with manga yet

Love Mikoto <3
Hate Koroko

you mean novels?
Wanna read the"To aru majutsu no index" Light novels in English? Go here.
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=To_Aru_Majutsu_no_Index

Jan 29, 2011 6:52 PM

Feb 2010
Gangler said:

DUDE, you are my hero! These are exactly my thoughts about the Railgun anime and why I thought it sucked. I liked Misaka in Index but she was a complete bore in Railgun. Kuroko was alright with me in Index but after Railgun, I hated her and never wanted to see an appearance by her again. And the rest of the characters didn't really even matter to me so it puzzles me as to why they have episodes dedicated to them. What about Accelerator? Or what about any other Level 5's for that matter? Even if the manga plot wasn't that far ahead at the time, I would've been more comfortable with the anime being only twelve episodes with 2-3 episodes introducing the side characters and their relevance to the plot and the rest episodes doing the plot.
Feb 5, 2011 5:45 PM

Nov 2010
Maybe it's because I watched railgun first so didn't really expect anything, but I liked railgun. I watched railgun with it's slice of life and occasional action sequences and was content. Then I went and watched index and got to see all those same characters being badass in amazing fights and stuff, which was an awesome transition for me. I probably wouldn't want to rewatch railgun now because compared to the rest of the series it does feel disjointed and slightly out of place(and yes pretty irrelevant). But it can be liked if watched BEFORE index, because then the series feels like it's just getting better instead of sagging in the middle.

P.S. I kinda like Kuroko's antics, she's hilarious...but then again I don't take her seriously...so that may be why
Feb 7, 2011 1:54 AM
Jan 2011
Defense of Railgun

The only episode of Railgun which I genuinely disliked was the episode devoted to Tessou. It was really unnecessary for such a side character and added nothing to the plot or character development of the four primary characters.

The rest of the series, even the filler episodes, I rather enjoyed. It was nice to get a view of the slice of life in Academy City since it is in many ways a strange futuristic city. Most of the filler episodes let us see a side of the character that was different from usual, which I appreciate.

I think the thing that a lot of people don't like is that, while Misaka is technically the main character, she doesn't steal the stage from the surrounding characters, giving her the feel of a real human being as opposed to a generic I'm-so-badass-I-can-do-anything-by-myself character. The series is really more about the group dynamic presented by the characters.

Railgun really builds the idea that no one can be completely independent. There are several times throughout the series when relying on others is brought up as a major point. Even Saten, arguably the most unimportant "main" character in the series, proves her usefulness in the final episode.

As for the supporting characters being unimportant, I'll address them individually.

On Kuroko: She is really a character who is driven by her emotions and ideals rather than logical thought, which leads her to do irrational things quite often. Her relationship with Misaka is excellent if you subtract the for-humor lesbian stalker-crush. They would really go to hell and back for each other, which adds to the dynamic of the group as a whole.

On Uiharu: She exists pretty much to balance out Kuroko's irrational tendencies, which is why they make such an excellent team. Uiharu is undoubtedly blessed with suck (the ability to stop ENTROPY, which as it turns out is rather useless) and provides a nice glimpse into the less-badass side of Academy City. I personally HATE series that are entirely "every character can destroy you and your children's children with one glance." It gets very old after awhile, as I've seen people mention with the "formulaic" arcs in Index II and Touma kicking everyone's ass.

On Saten: Her purpose is to develop the relationship between espers and Level 0s and provide a normal human character. If I'm not mistaken, Touma is the only other Level 0 in the main character list, but Imagine Breaker really takes him out of the running to be a normalizing character. Saten's character is used to build the group dynamic and lessen Misaka's disdain for Level 0s (which she expresses multiple times in relation to Touma).

TL;DR: Each character adds to the group dynamic and prevents the story from getting stale from raw action (like the first part of Index II).

Back on Topic
I would really hope that they give Index a third season in order to catch up to the novels. A lot of awesome plot happens in the later portions of the story which deserve to be animated.
Feb 7, 2011 5:42 AM
Jun 2009
I think the index will be a new season:DShana will come late but Index series is quite long;producers, trying to close novels the gap between series.

Railgun, second season will not be:director is currently working to AnoHana

Feb 8, 2011 2:38 AM
Jun 2008
screw yall, railgun is just as good and exciting I welcome more biribiri
Feb 8, 2011 3:13 AM

Jan 2011
3rd season? really welcome :D
I can't wait for WW3

I dislike the filler of railgun, but the rest eps is good.
So, if there's railgun 2nd season, I want it become 12/13 eps about Sister Arc. And... 1 or 2 eps filler is fine.

sister arc in railgun manga is so great.
Feb 8, 2011 3:15 AM
Nov 2008
furuuru said:

J.C. Staff probably disagrees. I mean, they put so much more effort into their Science Side arcs.
Feb 8, 2011 7:49 AM

Feb 2010
garturo62 said:
I waiting for something to happen in Railgun for 10 episodes while the rest was boring filler (except for the Skill-Out fight).
Feb 8, 2011 7:49 AM

Sep 2008
Onibokusu said:
furuuru said:

J.C. Staff probably disagrees. I mean, they put so much more effort into their Science Side arcs.

How are the science arcs in Index even remotely related to the filler in Railgun?
Feb 8, 2011 8:49 AM
Jan 2011
TheMetalOverlord said:
garturo62 said:
I waiting for something to happen in Railgun for 10 episodes while the rest was boring filler (except for the Skill-Out fight).

Almost everything in those first ten episodes is related to the Level Upper arc. Therefore, not filler.
Feb 8, 2011 3:51 PM
Nov 2008
Gangler said:
Onibokusu said:
furuuru said:

How are the science arcs in Index even remotely related to the filler in Railgun?

I'll give you a couple of seconds to think about that...
Feb 8, 2011 4:14 PM

Sep 2008
Onibokusu said:

Don't be dense. You know the context of my statement. He said that he felt the filler in railgun didn't measure up to the rest of the series. You said that JC staff must not feel this is the case because of how much effort they put into the adaptation of science arcs in Index. How do these connect. One is a statement regarding a mans stance on a particular set of filler episodes. The other is time and effort put into adapting certain arcs in the same setting in another series.

The leap between "JC Staff puts a lot of effort into their science arc adaptations in Index" to "Clearly they must feel that the filler in railgun turned out quite well." is enormous. Explain to me how you link these two parts of your statement.
Feb 8, 2011 4:47 PM
Nov 2008
Gangler said:
Onibokusu said:

Don't be dense. You know the context of my statement. He said that he felt the filler in railgun didn't measure up to the rest of the series. You said that JC staff must not feel this is the case because of how much effort they put into the adaptation of science arcs in Index. How do these connect. One is a statement regarding a mans stance on a particular set of filler episodes. The other is time and effort put into adapting certain arcs in the same setting in another series.

The leap between "JC Staff puts a lot of effort into their science arc adaptations in Index" to "Clearly they must feel that the filler in railgun turned out quite well." is enormous. Explain to me how you link these two parts of your statement.

Holy fuck, it's the characters man. The characters that are involved.

If you had taken two seconds to actually think before jumping to defend your favourite anime, you could have saved some time typing.
Feb 8, 2011 5:01 PM

Sep 2008
Onibokusu said:
Gangler said:
Onibokusu said:

Holy fuck, it's the characters man. The characters that are involved.

If you had taken two seconds to actually think before jumping to defend your favourite anime, you could have saved some time typing.
They had the same characters in the non filler as well. We're talking specifically about the filler. If he had said that railgun sucked, and you said that JC staff disagreed using that reasoning, it would have worked. He said that he preferred the episodes that were adapted from the manga to the filler.
GanglerFeb 8, 2011 5:10 PM
Feb 8, 2011 5:35 PM
Nov 2008
Gangler said:
They had the same characters in the non filler as well. We're talking specifically about the filler. If he had said that railgun sucked, and you said that JC staff disagreed using that reasoning, it would have worked. He said that he preferred the episodes that were adapted from the manga to the filler.

I took it as that user thinking the entirety of Railgun was filler, and Railgun is purely Science Side shenanigans. One should know that Railgun isn't canon to the Index novels, it's practically alternate universe. To an Index fan, Railgun is pretty much entirely filler.
Feb 8, 2011 5:50 PM
Jan 2011
Onibokusu said:
Gangler said:

I took it as that user thinking the entirety of Railgun was filler, and Railgun is purely Science Side shenanigans. One should know that Railgun isn't canon to the Index novels, it's practically alternate universe. To an Index fan, Railgun is pretty much entirely filler.

Railgun was like a whole different genre. Another K-ON!. Index fans would say its filler though i wont say it was bad. I watched up to the end of the level upper arc and skipped the middle and went straight to the last arc.

I think of it like this about the this entire series. In index people want more mikoto but in Railgun people want more touma. It would make sense to put them together for the same airtime and get one hell of a fanbase and sales.

Wanna read the"To aru majutsu no index" Light novels in English? Go here.
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=To_Aru_Majutsu_no_Index

Feb 8, 2011 6:03 PM

Sep 2008
Onibokusu said:
Gangler said:

Ah see, that's not how I read the statement at all, but at least I understand now where you're coming from. Such would indeed be an erroneous attitude, and your statement makes sense under that context.

Personally I liked railgun, but lord if that show doesn't give you a lot to complain about. I think really trying to do it as a twenty four episode series was the big mistake. If they'd done it as a twelve or thirteen episode series, and then spread the filler out through OVA's and DVD extras I think I would have enjoyed it all a lot more. It also would have been nice if they'd done a better job of keeping Mikoto on camera. For example, when writing stories to develop tertiary characters, give them some manner of problem to solve, and then have Mikoto and the gang come in and help them out, giving advice and pushing them towards pulling off that confession or whatever it is they're trying to do. As I've stated they also way over exaggerated some of Kuroko's worst character deficits.

This being said, overall it was a pleasant watch. Entirely different genre from Index, and rather deceptive packaging, but overall an enjoyable experience. Most of the problems were more with how the show was presented than anything else. Would have been nice if we knew what we were getting into when we first tuned in.
Feb 8, 2011 7:47 PM

Jul 2009
Well, since vol 1 of Index II sold 17.4k copies the first week, I would say that more anime projects of it are likely. Before a third season though I think they'll do an OVA series for SS Volume 1 while Shana III or Railgun II is airing.
Feb 8, 2011 10:23 PM

Feb 2010
MorsvirSyphin said:
TheMetalOverlord said:
garturo62 said:

Almost everything in those first ten episodes is related to the Level Upper arc. Therefore, not filler.
I never said they were filler, the first ten episodes were boring.
Feb 14, 2011 7:17 PM
Jan 2011
hello i say bring the 3rd season on i don't care its better then naruto/bleach filler crap
jetlineFeb 15, 2011 1:44 AM
Feb 19, 2011 2:21 AM

Nov 2010
index is amazing enough for a third season, I personally can't wait xD
Feb 19, 2011 4:38 AM

May 2009
I think the aouthor of light novels said there will be a major announcement at the end of the second season, so there is a chance (but it could be a second Railgun season too, since the Accelerator arc just ended in the manga).

And in the trailer of Index 2, there were characters who haven't appeared yet in the series, and won't in the current arc, which is propably the last of the anime.
Feb 19, 2011 11:08 PM

Feb 2010
viral_hun said:
I think the aouthor of light novels said there will be a major announcement at the end of the second season, so there is a chance (but it could be a second Railgun season too, since the Accelerator arc just ended in the manga).

And in the trailer of Index 2, there were characters who haven't appeared yet in the series, and won't in the current arc, which is propably the last of the anime.
Hopefully the announcement is TAMNI 3 and not Railgun 2 (unless it has Accelerator in a good majority of it).
Feb 20, 2011 1:35 PM
Sep 2009
I want a Railgun S2 more.
Feb 20, 2011 6:59 PM
Dec 2007
TheMetalOverlord said:
viral_hun said:

Hopefully the announcement is TAMNI 3 and not Railgun 2 (unless it has Accelerator in a good majority of it).
Considering the point where TAMNI season 2 will end they HAVE to move directly to a season 3. Why would we want to revisit crazy Accelerator after we see him become the hero for the Science side? It would destroy the personality progress they've given him.

Feb 20, 2011 7:04 PM

Feb 2010
Leon-Gun said:
TheMetalOverlord said:
viral_hun said:

Considering the point where TAMNI season 2 will end they HAVE to move directly to a season 3. Why would we want to revisit crazy Accelerator after we see him become the hero for the Science side? It would destroy the personality progress they've given him.
Well from what I hear,
Or so I've heard.
Feb 20, 2011 7:16 PM
Dec 2007
TheMetalOverlord said:
Well from what I hear,
Or so I've heard.
Knowing the way JC Staff does adaptations that just might get pushed to the side in favor of the action and the Mikoto drama. Season 1 already gave us plenty of hints during the short arcs where he saved Last Order plus we're bound to learn a bit more of his way of thinking during the last arc of season 2.

Mar 6, 2011 2:19 PM

Jul 2010
My money is on a Railgun II and after that an Index III. I wouldn't mind both of them provided that Railgun II will be more about Mikoto than season one was. =)

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toaru Majutsu no Index II Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Nov 19, 2010

251 by StateofOhayo »»
Nov 29, 2023 10:33 AM

Poll: » Toaru Majutsu no Index II Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Aezile - Apr 1, 2011

236 by nanajp »»
Nov 28, 2023 1:47 PM

Poll: » Speculations for Ep. 23 ( 1 2 )

Aezile - Mar 18, 2011

53 by nanajp »»
Nov 28, 2023 1:47 PM

Poll: » Toaru Majutsu no Index II Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Aezile - Mar 11, 2011

174 by nanajp »»
Nov 28, 2023 1:46 PM

Poll: » Toaru Majutsu no Index II Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Aezile - Mar 4, 2011

135 by nanajp »»
Nov 28, 2023 1:46 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.