Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 13, 2010 10:48 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
Thank goodness for some news. I was about to punch the slave DB in the face!
Oct 13, 2010 12:10 PM

Jan 2010
The updates seems to be working fine now.
Although: Couldn't open slave database. Please try again in a bit.
Oct 13, 2010 1:25 PM
Jun 2010
Meri said:
Couldn't open slave database. Please try again in a bit.

it started again :<
I've been getting that error lately today as well.
Oct 13, 2010 1:28 PM
Nov 2009
It's cool, we're patient. Slave database opened for me when I refreshed the page.
Oct 13, 2010 2:04 PM

Aug 2009
The Slave Database is seriously bugging me, [The fact that I have to refresh 3 -7 times]
Hope you get it fixed, cause I dont want another simple Bug/Error/Site Lag.
Oct 13, 2010 2:04 PM

Jan 2009
thanks for everything Xinil
Oct 13, 2010 3:32 PM

Jul 2008
Yeah, kinda old indeed, but a little word to know things are getting worked on is always very much appreciated. Surely much better than having lots and lots of glitches and not even knowing is somebody's giving a damn about it or what.
So thanks, personally I decided to not lose hope for now and continue to patiently wait for things to get fixed.
------------------------
Database Guidelines
Denials: anime | manga
Modifications: anime | manga
-----------------------------------
Oct 13, 2010 3:49 PM

Aug 2010
I thought it was just my computer... or my account... or I was going to have to go insane...
now I know I'm not
Thank you so much...
^^
"참 많은 파도가친다.앞으로 여행할길은 너무멀고길지만 멈추면안돼.. 멈춘순간 어른이 되어가는 길을 포기하는 나락으로 떨어진다. 어른이되어가는 경험은 이제부터 시작이지만 아직어리고 젊다는 최고의무기로 아직 눈앞에 보이지않는 더넓은 세상을 밟고싶다."
--김재중
CLICK IF YOU WISH
Oct 13, 2010 6:46 PM

Jun 2010
Everything's working alot better on my end...is everyone on the page?
Oct 13, 2010 8:17 PM

Jun 2009
Good Luck Xinil.

Oct 13, 2010 8:21 PM

Apr 2009
I don't really mind waiting, as long as the lists don't get deleted or something :O After all, this is a free service :D so thank you for trying to keep this running in good condition :)

P.S. Funny, I got an error while trying to open this thread xD
Oct 13, 2010 9:50 PM

Jan 2009
Haven't been on in several days, stupid math homework being a pain in my rear, but thanks for the heads up.
Oct 13, 2010 9:55 PM
Nov 2008
Ah, jolly good, the good ol' SQL errors are appearing again.

Good to know this'll be fixed in a year or two, gathering another layout change doesn't take priority.
Oct 13, 2010 11:54 PM

Jun 2010
Thanks god. I think it was only my problem.
Well, good luck~
Oct 13, 2010 11:59 PM

Sep 2010
BradIey said:
Why's it called "slave" database? o_o

My guess is that it is a subordinate database server which handles a certain set of the site's database. Might be the database server that holds all the anime entries, or just manga entries...or whatever.
Oct 14, 2010 6:52 AM

Apr 2008
Thanks for telling us something is wrong :) It was strange that it didn't update automatically.

Oct 14, 2010 8:04 AM

Apr 2008
Ok then good to know it's being worked on, goodluck !! :)
Oct 14, 2010 9:30 AM
Mar 2009
Obsidian_ said:
Vipey said:
BETTER.
FUCKING.
HARDWARE.

Jesus christ, it's fucking simple.

This is not a situation where hardware is of issue. The problem is of synchronizing database changes across multiple servers seamlessly, but in a way that does not incur massive amounts of strain on the servers involved.

You're talking about an environment where there are thousands, if not tens of thousands of people browsing every minute; if there is any snip of inefficient code, it will have an exponential effect because of how many people access a site at once.

Yes, it is that fucking complex. I suggest you do a little research before you make flippant and ignorant remarks. ;)

It actually is. Or it's a case where someone has no idea what they're doing. Otherwise any other remotely large website (and websites of a much larger magnitude than this one) would have the same error, no? ^_^;
Oct 14, 2010 9:58 AM
eyebrows nerd ★

Jun 2009
Can't take it anymore ; w ; I think I will snap soon.
Oct 14, 2010 12:16 PM

Feb 2009
ZEFIs_husbando said:
Xinil, MAL is obviously punishing you because you quit watching anime

Lawl.

Thanks for the update, though. <3

At least the lag isn't just aboslutely tearing the whole site down, and Xinil is actually trying to fix things. :I
Unlike FictionPress. FP mods, if you're out there, and reading this...FUCK YOU. WE'VE DEALT WITH THE GODDAMN LAG FOR TWO YEARS AND YOU DON'T EVEN CARE ;_____;
SoneAnnaOct 14, 2010 12:21 PM
Oct 14, 2010 3:17 PM

Mar 2009
Thanks Xinil
Oct 14, 2010 3:45 PM
Jul 2009
Go for it...you have my support.
best of luck :D
Oct 14, 2010 4:48 PM

Sep 2010
pedosensei said:
Obsidian_ said:
Vipey said:
BETTER.
FUCKING.
HARDWARE.

Jesus christ, it's fucking simple.

This is not a situation where hardware is of issue. The problem is of synchronizing database changes across multiple servers seamlessly, but in a way that does not incur massive amounts of strain on the servers involved.

You're talking about an environment where there are thousands, if not tens of thousands of people browsing every minute; if there is any snip of inefficient code, it will have an exponential effect because of how many people access a site at once.

Yes, it is that fucking complex. I suggest you do a little research before you make flippant and ignorant remarks. ;)

It actually is. Or it's a case where someone has no idea what they're doing. Otherwise any other remotely large website (and websites of a much larger magnitude than this one) would have the same error, no? ^_^;

More or less, it's probably that the site needs to be rewritten from the ground up with load distribution in mind. Most likely, the codebase would have been initially developed for use with a single server, and just had the multi-server support hacked in along the way.

That's just my guess though.
Oct 14, 2010 4:59 PM

Oct 2009
iWishTifaWasReal said:
whew, i thought it was only me
but great to hear
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2010 5:15 PM
Dec 2007
BradIey said:
Obsidian_ said:
BradIey said:

My guess is that it is a subordinate database server which handles a certain set of the site's database. Might be the database server that holds all the anime entries, or just manga entries...or whatever.

Hm . . . don't really understand, but O.K. =3
In technological jargon a master device controlls one or more slave devices unilaterally (meaning the master device can access and mess with the slave device but the slave can't do the same to the master). The current string of errors basically all seem to be that the site can't seem to properly link up to the database for some reason.

Oct 14, 2010 6:19 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
Obsidian_ said:

More or less, it's probably that the site needs to be rewritten from the ground up with load distribution in mind. Most likely, the codebase would have been initially developed for use with a single server, and just had the multi-server support hacked in along the way.

That's mostly true, though I've done a heavy amount of re-coding over the past year or so, and I'd say roughly 40% of the site is 'new' code with load distribution in mind.
Oct 14, 2010 6:48 PM

Sep 2010
Xinil said:
Obsidian_ said:

That's mostly true, though I've done a heavy amount of re-coding over the past year or so, and I'd say roughly 40% of the site is 'new' code with load distribution in mind.

I figured as such. And, knowing how hard it is to work on getting a large codebase coherent and unified, it'd be a mess to scrap it all and start fresh.

Have you considered having someone else (i.e. another upper-echelon staff member) maintain the older codebase for MAL, and then moving on to do a total rewrite yourself? It might be worth it seeing as how there's so many issues with it on a constant basis, and that there's many sections of the site (e.g. affiliates, donations) that just aren't needed.

Not to mention, if you're using a distributed version control system, you can just branch out the newer codebase, and merge in any relevant bugfixes made to the old one as well. I myself am a fan of git, but I'm sure something like mercurial or even bazaar would work just as well for a codebase as large as MAL is likely to have.

tl;dr : Web developer sp33k. Run far, far away.

edit: Added links to stuff, for those curious as to what in the hell I'm talking about.
Katana__Oct 14, 2010 6:55 PM
Oct 14, 2010 7:29 PM

Oct 2010
Obsidian_ said:
BradIey said:

Hmm I was thinking slave configuration on Hard Drives.

I know, slowpoke.jpeg.

Obsidian_ said:
tl;dr : Web developer sp33k. Run far, far away.

My head asplode.

Also, this was really funny. I've been using MAL for years now, never had this problem ironically til I finally registered the other day o.o I didn't break it, did I?

Oct 15, 2010 4:22 AM

Oct 2009
iWishTifaWasReal said:
whew, i thought it was only me
but great to hear
Oct 15, 2010 6:18 AM

Jun 2007
Are you still the only person working on all this?

If so, why don't you bring in a couple trusted developers for support?

"if the show is good i couldn't care less if hitler directed it and the production values was a banana." - Salsk
Oct 15, 2010 11:02 AM

Oct 2008
Oh, so that explains the lag. Thanks for informing us!

Also, this situation is quite understandable. Hope this gets settled soon.
Oct 15, 2010 11:36 AM
Overlord

Nov 2004
More developers isn't going to fix our database issues. I am not the only database developer. Crave has an entire team of DBA's at their disposal. They obviously have a slew of other sites to run too though, so MAL 'fixing' is slow.

TLDR: The underlining issue is not fixable by additional MAL developers.
Oct 15, 2010 11:39 AM
Apr 2010
lol oh wow it took me 10mins to load this last page of comments -___-
I woner if it's the site or me?..Cause youtube and this site has been slow on loading for me.

Edit:It was me..
Offtopic but Verizon sucks -__-
Angra-MainyuOct 16, 2010 12:22 PM
Oct 15, 2010 12:39 PM

Feb 2008
Thx for the info xinil

Oct 16, 2010 12:40 AM
Nov 2008
Xinil said:
More developers isn't going to fix our database issues. I am not the only database developer. Crave has an entire team of DBA's at their disposal. They obviously have a slew of other sites to run too though, so MAL 'fixing' is slow.

TLDR: The underlining issue is not fixable by additional MAL developers.

You don't need more developers, you just need quality database engineers.
Oct 17, 2010 11:44 AM
Aug 2007
Keep up the good work, I appreciate the efforts

Oct 17, 2010 12:53 PM

Mar 2008
Thanks

Oct 17, 2010 1:34 PM

Oct 2010
Ever since the lag incident the stats on my profil and panel are stuck on the old number of anime.
--Problem could also be on the manga page but i don't have any manga in the list, so i do not know for sure--.

Are there other people here who also have this problem ?
Kawaii
Oct 17, 2010 3:11 PM

Aug 2007
Vincent01NL said:
Ever since the lag incident the stats on my profil and panel are stuck on the old number of anime.
--Problem could also be on the manga page but i don't have any manga in the list, so i do not know for sure--.

me too, since yesterday.
Oct 17, 2010 4:37 PM

May 2009
ZEFIs_husbando said:
Xinil, MAL is obviously punishing you because you quit watching anime

agree 100%
my thoughts exactly mate
Oct 17, 2010 6:52 PM
Sep 2008
VampireGirl said:
Vincent01NL said:

me too, since yesterday.

Co-signing with these, but it's been more like two 1/2 days for me.
Oct 18, 2010 10:15 AM

Jun 2007
I was thinking something in the lines of more caching, maybe using a solution such as Varnish, and then figuring out how to asynchronously commit data to the databases which lies within the cache.

But yes this whole thing is very complicated, and programming with load balancing in mind is the only way to go. Maybe even make it more distributable, having parts of the website running on more than just one server. Which I know is already implemented for some parts, but maybe distribute it even more?

Anyways, good luck with getting it running stable again!
Oct 18, 2010 11:28 AM

Apr 2008
I kinda miss "Whats being watched" list...
I shall know no fear as I am fear incarnated
Oct 18, 2010 2:37 PM

Feb 2010
KEL5EY said:
My lists have been stuck with the same stats for over a couple of days now.. Just aheads up that it hasn't been stuck for a couple of hours. :(

I have the same problem

iamalexlemayne.tumblr.com;Please follow (:
Oct 18, 2010 6:22 PM

Oct 2009
It is probably most of us that have this issue.

Oct 18, 2010 10:53 PM

Mar 2008
StaticDreamer said:
VampireGirl said:
Vincent01NL said:

me too, since yesterday.

Co-signing with these, but it's been more like two 1/2 days for me.

It's been at least four days that my own profile stats have been stuck in their current state. :|
Oct 19, 2010 12:39 AM

May 2010
ueda said:
StaticDreamer said:
VampireGirl said:
Vincent01NL said:

me too, since yesterday.

It's been at least four days that my own profile stats have been stuck in their current state. :|

Been about 5 for me.

Am grateful for all the work you guys put in - but yeah. Would love to see this particular issue fixed.
Oct 19, 2010 5:52 AM
Jun 2009
Hope it'll be back soon......
Oct 19, 2010 6:35 AM

Jan 2010
kaleidome said:
ueda said:
StaticDreamer said:
VampireGirl said:
Vincent01NL said:

me too, since yesterday.

Been about 5 for me.

Am grateful for all the work you guys put in - but yeah. Would love to see this particular issue fixed.
Same here.
Oct 19, 2010 7:03 AM
Sep 2009
Same here?!... All of MAL user have the same problem I'm sure.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

207 by Shin_016 »»
Yesterday, 7:32 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Yesterday, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3331 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.