Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 13, 2010 9:36 PM

Sep 2008
Not sure if this should be in Anime or General discussion, but anyways...

You've seen it in anime, a moral dilemma to which a lot of plot developments entail a scenario of the the main protagonist having to choose between a single life(of a 'loved' one)opposed to a billion(for the 'greater good'). With each choice, a certain party will need to be sacrificed(single or a billion).

Of course as cliche goes, the prog would choose option C in which they save all, but say you were the hero and this was reality. There is no option C as this all happens at this very moment which does not give you room to think things through rationally.

Your Jack Bauer and there's less then 24! Who would you choose to kill off Jack?

...and to make matters interesting, the 1 person who needs saving happens to be someone close(mum/dad/siblings/lover/best friend you take a pick)

Edited to a billion since people were fixated on numbers

further edit for those with lack of imagination, can follow this scenario:

ScryptJul 15, 2010 3:07 AM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 13, 2010 9:42 PM

Sep 2009
Ofc the character that matters the most. I don't give a shit if 1000 people with no drawn faces dies. Doesn't affect me in anyway.

But if that "the one you love" character is annoying, yea, i'll hope she/he dies.

But then again, anime characters rarely dies.

Credit to WingZero619 from Animesuki!!
Jul 13, 2010 9:44 PM

Jan 2008
Think shounen.

Can't chose? Then save them all.

/My own choice, I'd chose loved one just because who says X amount of those 1000 people aren't bad themselves?
Jul 13, 2010 9:53 PM

Sep 2008
See this is the funny part, as I had been debating this with my partner earlier on....I had mentioned I would rather save her to the countless thousands I didn't give a fart about and her retort was hypothetically, "what if those thousands, happened to be her parents or family or even my family? Would I feel satisfied knowing I've just killed a little child(this is her very words) just so I could be in comfort that I could be in the same bed as her by the end of the night?"

Women I will never get, and considering she was captain of her debate club, I didn't bother arguing(hell I thought I had been romantic) as she's a realists. Hence me posting this topic to see what others may think.
Jul 13, 2010 9:58 PM

Jul 2007
If it's like anime, chances are everyone hates the girl by now and I look like a douche thinking she's more important than the vast majority, most of whom are probably better people than her anyway.

I make myself the sacrifice, give an awesome hero smile, and die in a way that invokes manly tears from the audience... unless the villain is smart and says I can't do that, that I need to choose and suffer, in which case the thousands die because I'd rather have the one person I know I can share my pain with than the thousands who would be like "hey, thanks..."
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Jul 13, 2010 9:59 PM

Nov 2009
Of course, I'd save the 1 person I care for. Who gives a damn about the others, unless their deaths will have some profound effect on my life.

(this has become a depressing thread)
Earth gets angry after a kick in the face.
Jul 13, 2010 10:09 PM

Sep 2009
obliviouz said:
See this is the funny part, as I had been debating this with my partner earlier on....I had mentioned I would rather save her to the countless thousands I didn't give a fart about and her retort was hypothetically, "what if those thousands, happened to be her parents or family or even my family? Would I feel satisfied knowing I've just killed a little child(this is her very words) just so I could be in comfort that I could be in the same bed as her by the end of the night?"

Women I will never get, and considering she was captain of her debate club, I didn't bother arguing(hell I thought I had been romantic) as she's a realists. Hence me posting this topic to see what others may think.

She should resign from captain of the debate club.

Jul 13, 2010 10:19 PM

Jun 2009
Think several video games, they always take the third route and by some miracle save everyone. Although I think for once for it to be worse to choose option C.

Rather I do not know which I would choose.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Jul 13, 2010 10:28 PM

Apr 2009
Humans by nature are selfish. Really, no matter how many times a person would say option A, they would likely go with option B when faced and pressured with the decision. In real life, on a professional level, option C is the viable route, as there is no such thing as an acceptable casualty level.
Jul 13, 2010 10:46 PM

Mar 2009
Save none of them.
Jul 13, 2010 10:59 PM

Sep 2008
AlexSadist-sama said:
Save none of them.

LOL, I was close to adding the option of "grabbing a drill to my head and do myself a favor" but that ain't shonen
Jul 13, 2010 11:03 PM

Sep 2007
If the one is a loved one then it isn't even a question that I would save them.

If it was a thousand people I don't know vs one person I don't know, I would obviously choose the thousand.

If it was a thousand people I don't know vs ... let's say a leading physicist. That is the only kind of scenario in which I would have to actually think about my answer. And I would probably go with the latter.
Jul 13, 2010 11:04 PM

Aug 2009
I would choose optoin C no matter what, there's ALWAYS an optoin C ^_^
Sig deleted for being too large.
Jul 13, 2010 11:11 PM

Feb 2010
At first I was going to save the loved one, but then I thought about it a bit more. A thousand people is a lot. Think of all their family members, and the grudge all of them would hold against you. They would want to kill you. If, by some chance, none of their family members end up killing you, then you'd still have to live knowing that you killed many people. Go try to be comforted by your loved one, but you just killed a thousand people.

There's so many people in the world to go meet, even if your loved one died, you can make new friends... It's not the end of the world. Plus, surely you have more than one loved one...
Jul 13, 2010 11:17 PM
Feb 2010
The thousands. No one would be able to have a happy life knowing that thousands of people were killed just to save their own hide.
Jul 13, 2010 11:22 PM

Feb 2009
After major moral dilemma, I would still probably have to save the one I cared about... Of course, depending on the situation, I would have to decide there, but for not being in the situation itself in reality, I would go with the loved one.
Jul 13, 2010 11:24 PM

Jun 2009
nmanguy said:
The thousands. No one would be able to have a happy life knowing that thousands of people were killed just to save their own hide.
That really is the truth. No one would want to know that their one life cost thousands.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Jul 13, 2010 11:51 PM

Jan 2010
It would be great to save thousands of lives but if it means losing someone that I love (let's say my mom) then I'd rather not be a hero. I don't even care if she's going to be sad or upset by the fact that saving her killed a thousand lives. She can curse me to hell; I don't care, as long as she stays alive. For me, death of a thousand people is sad but death of a loved one is heart-breaking and too hard to accept.
Jul 14, 2010 2:53 AM

Sep 2008
nmanguy said:

That's what my partner had pointed out to me, and I can see that as a moral issue, is the right and just thing to do.....but unfortunately, some of us humans are weak and at times greedy creatures who can easily lose all sense when it comes to those we love...so my reasons for saving my loved one to the thousands...

..and scary as it sounds, I don't even have any qualms to doing it either should it have happened in RL(enter antagonistic music)
Jul 14, 2010 2:58 AM

Feb 2007
I would save the 1 i care about as i dont rly care about 1000 random ppl it wont affect me, while losing the ones u love could be very devestating.
Jul 14, 2010 3:15 AM

Oct 2009
Don't know, I'd probably never be involved in such senario so I won't even bother thinking.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 14, 2010 4:11 AM

Sep 2008
I see someone's got a good imagination....thank you for posting to let us know
Jul 14, 2010 4:24 AM

Mar 2009
I would save the one.
Shit i see on the news each day that thousands die and i don`t give a shit, i have seen a car crash in front of my eyes and I was only surprised about the crash, the people didn`t matter to me.
Death to me is a simple point in life, if u die then you just got unlucky.
But of course if the person i knew would be in danger i would snap then and try to save her/him.
Jul 14, 2010 5:18 AM

Jun 2008
...Except I don't have a person I care for that strongly for me to risk a thousand lives.
Jul 14, 2010 5:22 AM
Jun 2010
Save 1000 people. I think the person you love will understand, if he/she doesn't then he/she really do deserve to die.
supersayenJul 14, 2010 6:28 AM

Jul 14, 2010 5:46 AM

Sep 2009
supersayen said:
Save 1000 people. I think the person you love will understand, if he/she doesn't then she really do deserve to die.

Rofl... that "loved" one would probably be yelling: "Tasukete! Tasukete!"

Jul 14, 2010 6:00 AM

Nov 2007
If it's someone I know (and like) vs. a thousand random strangers, the randoms can die. If it's a stranger vs. a crowd of strangers, majority wins. Seems pretty straightforward to me.
Jul 14, 2010 6:14 AM

Aug 2009
In alot of these sort of scenarios, its more like 1 vs the rest of the world rather than just 1 vs 1k... so i think its pretty easy to pick 1 over 1000...

its funny to see heroes pick when the option is death of 1 or death of the whole world (including the 1) the hero would still pick the world XD
Jul 14, 2010 6:37 AM

May 2009
Asako said:
If it's someone I know (and like) vs. a thousand random strangers, the randoms can die. If it's a stranger vs. a crowd of strangers, majority wins. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Indeed. The only difficulty would be someone I love for a thousand people including people I know and care for.

And on the edge of sanity I stumble and fall.
Jul 14, 2010 6:41 AM

Sep 2008
Everyone should read Minds of Steel bad ending in F/SN.

Kill your bitch or became bitch because betray everyone but who care ?
Jul 14, 2010 6:49 AM

Jul 2008
obliviouz said:
AlexSadist-sama said:
Save none of them.

LOL, I was close to adding the option of "grabbing a drill to my head and do myself a favor" but that ain't shonen

I was thinking exactly this xD
"save them..."
"save her..."
"kill self... yep, let's go with that."
Meh, think I'd actually go with the 1 >> I don't know them, for all I know they may be bad people, but if he put them next to each other, like one box =1 another box = 1000 then said choose, nope, I'd probably still choose 1, even if said person would be haunted by the fact that they were saved by a 1000 sacrifices, unless they're selfish >> and then I have to live with the fact that I made the decision to kill 1000, no one gets out unscathed :p
Jul 14, 2010 6:59 AM

Jul 2009
fertygo said:
Everyone should read Minds of Steel bad ending in F/SN.

Kill your bitch or became bitch because betray everyone but who care ?

Was just about to say that.

For me? I'm gonna be Kiritsugu, screw HF Shirou (option A for the uninformed).
Jul 14, 2010 7:26 AM

Apr 2010
Suzune-chan said:
Rather I do not know which I would choose.

If it's real life I won't know.
But if it's anime... The answer is pretty clear (Both aren't real, so who cares if some fictional charcters that I have nothing to so with them will die).

Jul 14, 2010 8:15 AM

May 2009
1000 of people. I don't think that person you would save would ever be happy knowing their life costed thousands of people's lives. I won't be able to live peacefully either if I let so many people die to selfishly keep someone I love. There's no life that is better/more precious than an other.
Jul 14, 2010 8:41 AM

Sep 2008
Post re-edited since people were fixated on numbers....pardon the 24-pun....had to be done
Jul 14, 2010 8:46 AM

Nov 2008
I don't have anyone that I care deeply enough to save over a billion people and second I would never forgive myself after a billion people died just from my poor decision making. Saving billions is the answer, people will thank me for it at the end.

Jul 14, 2010 8:49 AM

Aug 2009
I would kill the guy that threatened me in the first place.
Jul 14, 2010 8:52 AM

Feb 2010
Why was it changed to a billion?
Jul 14, 2010 8:56 AM

Jun 2008
obliviouz said:
Post re-edited since people were fixated on numbers....pardon the 24-pun....had to be done
LOL billion. It's almost like committing genocide.
Jul 14, 2010 9:09 AM

Sep 2008
skutieos said:
Why was it changed to a billion?

because people had to stop and think, "oh but what if I didn't like someone that was part of that thousand, or what if someone that was part of the thousand had better tennis shoes than what I've got" Catch my drift....

I changed it because people fixated on numbers....

The dilemma is simple...kill one to save the other...(well not simple as you are forced to kill but you get what I mean)

its a poll...not jeopardy...just make a choice that you feel is morally right for you...I won't judge you...promise xx
Jul 14, 2010 9:11 AM

Jul 2009
Tachii said:
obliviouz said:
haha it is genocide, thats 1/6th the world population. US,Canada and Japan combined is still half of that. is a loved one worth 3+ countries? alot of people would die for there country, i dont think anyone in this day and age is worth even close to that much lives hell no.

i would have to choice to save the billion, and probably pull a simon and travel the world hobo style. not to mention the loved one would be immortalized via huge statue saying his/her sacrifice saved a billion T.T if it was an anime
suprhiroJul 14, 2010 9:21 AM
Jul 14, 2010 9:13 AM

Feb 2010
Well, depends on who exactly the one person is. But mostly I'd be an egotist fuck and save let's say my wife/girlfriend. Family would be different though..

And about not being able to live happily after this. Well dammit, I'm not living happily now either and if I save my beloved one there is at least something to look forward to while dealing with the moral issue of letting people die. The other way round you'd have to deal with the issue to let your most belived person die while probably not being comforted by the fucks you saved (people are ungrateful).

So theres not much to think about which situation I'd prefer in the end..

edit:

alot of people would die for their country, i dont think anyone in this day and age is worth even close to that much lives hell no.

Lives are not equal. If you're god, maybe they are, but for subjectice humans they sure aren't.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 14, 2010 9:21 AM

Sep 2008
Badhiro said:
Tachii said:
obliviouz said:
haha it is genocide, thats 1/6th the world population. US,Canada and Japan combined is still half of that. is a loved worth 3+ countries? alot of people would die for there country, i dont think anyone in this day and age is worth even close to that much lives hell no.

consider this bragging rights....next time your gf comes around you can sit her in front of your pc and tell her that you would choose her over a billion people in a heartbeat if a situation ever come to past....and if she don't believe you, you can say "see....look, here's my vote...that vote is all you baby!"

who knows, this thread might get you nookie

anyways this is hypothetical what ifs on an anime site to which chara's we watch face dilemmas like these on an everyday basis....be the director...cut someone's life for the glory of shonen
Jul 14, 2010 9:25 AM

Jul 2009
obliviouz said:

consider this bragging rights....next time your gf comes around you can sit her in front of your pc and tell her that you would choose her over a billion people in a heartbeat if a situation ever come to past....and if she don't believe you, you can say "see....look, here's my vote...that vote is all you baby!"

anyways this is hypothetical what ifs on an anime site to which chara's we watch face dilemmas like these on an everyday basis....be the director...cut someone's life for the glory of shonen

i think u read my post wrong? i chose to save the billion, ya no nookie for me :|
Jul 14, 2010 9:35 AM

Jun 2008
obliviouz said:
Badhiro said:
Tachii said:
obliviouz said:
haha it is genocide, thats 1/6th the world population. US,Canada and Japan combined is still half of that. is a loved worth 3+ countries? alot of people would die for there country, i dont think anyone in this day and age is worth even close to that much lives hell no.

You're so optimistic. I'd say buddies or hell, political leaders, of the billion people would make that life a living hell. For the gf, and himself.
Jul 14, 2010 9:36 AM

Sep 2008
Badhiro said:

i think u read my post wrong? i chose to save the billion, ya no nookie for me :|

No, I read right...you had asked:

Badhiro said:
is a loved one worth 3+ countries?

and I replied:

obliviouz said:

thats me sarcastically saying 'if its for nookie'....then maybe

we are all human...and to be human, some of us can be greedy especially when it comes to the ones we love...so genocide? some greater villians laughed at the words...I'm doing it for love

Kernel....
Jul 14, 2010 11:12 AM

Nov 2009
How have least people voted for the billions of people on Earth?!
Don't get me wrong, I'd hate it if the one I loved was gone forever and ever, but this is the planet we're talking about. The whole of the human race -2 would die and this beautiful beautiful world we've built up to be so great would be of no use whatsoever. :'(

That'd suck.
curiouser and curiouser :)
Jul 14, 2010 11:18 AM

Jun 2008
It was supposed to be just a thousand.
Jul 14, 2010 11:39 AM

Oct 2008
None of them.
I don't consider people to be dear.
And I won't save people I don't know.
Jul 14, 2010 11:47 AM

Aug 2009
Theoretically, I'd follow the steps of Itachi, save I won't let Sasuke live either,but practically, I've no idea. Hehe, that issue popped up in my mind just a few hours ago, tho that's not clichedly beloved one vs billions of strangers, and more like sacrificing a few to save more (for the greater cause I may say).
We are the United. Even in defeat we stand united.

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Don't you find the obsession with fictional characters in the anime community alarming? ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - May 10

106 by tchitchouan »»
16 minutes ago

» Brothers From Another Mother

Jackof-allspades - Dec 6, 2023

37 by LeonhartAugust »»
17 minutes ago

» Can your waifu handle the pressure of being best girl in her show?

Catalano - May 9

15 by LeonhartAugust »»
19 minutes ago

» Do you think your favorite characters can be friends?

Yonahim_Zz - May 9

40 by LeonhartAugust »»
20 minutes ago

» anime character you like but wouldn't invite to your birthday party / wedding?

lifesaver64 - 12 hours ago

17 by LeonhartAugust »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.