Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jul 13, 2010 1:51 AM

Jun 2009
TotallyDude said:
OrochiPL said:
Ah hell, just when i fogot how much of a cold bastard Natsuno was to Megumi...

Haha, he was wasnt he...
But I mean she kinda desvered it. I woundnt really talk to or morn someone that gave me the creeps.

But i would. ^^
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jul 13, 2010 5:09 AM

Apr 2009
I liked it, although Megumi got on my nerves pretty quickly. I'm almost sure she'll become a vampire in the next ep (I'm getting a 'Salem's lot' vibe from this...and btw, that is a book which I recommend to anyone who likes vampire stories that don't involve sparkling, this one was damn scary.)

Ximinez said:
Also character design gets on my nerves (who the hell draw that hair?).

This xD But oh well, Ill get used to it.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jul 13, 2010 7:26 AM

Nov 2009
I expected something bad.
That wasn't even a half bad.
I’ll keep watching.
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
Emo Philips
Jul 13, 2010 8:13 AM

Aug 2009
Megumi really got on my nerves, acting all high and mighty prancing around in that pink slutsuit. The art style is very refreshing and original, though. The OP was really nicely done and Shiki looks very promising. Best summer season series so far, in my opinion.
"If i was a superhero,I'd be Yotsuba, her power is maximum."

When the seagulls cry, there will be no survivors.
Jul 13, 2010 8:40 AM

Jul 2010
OrochiPL said:
TotallyDude said:
OrochiPL said:

Haha, he was wasnt he...
But I mean she kinda desvered it. I woundnt really talk to or morn someone that gave me the creeps.

But i would. ^^

Have you read the manga of it?

TotallyDudeJul 13, 2010 8:48 AM
Jul 13, 2010 9:58 AM

Jun 2009
TotallyDude said:
OrochiPL said:
TotallyDude said:
OrochiPL said:

Haha, he was wasnt he...

But i would. ^^

Have you read the manga of it?

No man,

This conversation is pointless anyway.,..
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jul 13, 2010 10:04 AM

Apr 2010
I was kind of bored during this episode, not much to say about it...but I'm going to keep watching, I think it'll get interesting.

And wow, the hairstyles on some of these people...they're not driving me away from the show or anything, but I definitely noticed how odd they were o.O
Jul 13, 2010 11:25 AM
Jul 13, 2010 11:58 AM

Apr 2009
leti_ said:
The dog is soo cute <3

Ah, yeah, I knew I forgot to write about something xD
+1
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jul 13, 2010 2:39 PM

Nov 2008
I like the style and while the first ep barely developed the story, it at least did a decent job of introducing the characters. I could see this turning into a decent mystery.
Megumi was annoying at times, but the promise of bad shit happening to her later on made it bearable. Besides, being stuck in a boring village really can suck.
Jul 13, 2010 3:25 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
I found the first episode intriguing enough to at least give the series a chance but I did not like the character designs at all. They were really way over the top and seemed really out of the place in the setting. Though that won't stop me from watching more of it.
Jul 13, 2010 4:12 PM
Jul 2010
It was really slow at first, but got really exciting around the end.

Can't wait for the next one.
Jul 13, 2010 7:33 PM

Jul 2009
Pretty good, I liked the music and effects. Didn't really like Megumi though, pretty interesting how she died though. Everyone has really weird hair ... except for the girl that got asked directions. Hope it'll get better :D
Jul 13, 2010 9:37 PM
Dec 2009
lol wtf @ the haircuts :D

Coool energy Drainers :P:P
well that was fast first episode and first kill ...

expected something like higurashi ... Kinda :D, but not bad
Jul 13, 2010 9:41 PM

Dec 2007
Suzune-chan said:
That was kind of interesting...

Although the hair styles are what killed me. Just another case of brown and blacked haired parents giving birth to those pink haired children.
So... never watched/read Twelve Kingdoms eh?
Jul 13, 2010 11:02 PM

Nov 2007
FINALLY that girl is dead. I can leave my window open.
Jul 14, 2010 10:54 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
MEGATRON said:

That was pretty lulz worthy. I'd be pretty relived myself though if a creepy girl stopped stalking me and looking though my window all the time.
Jul 14, 2010 12:53 PM

Jan 2010
I have a feeling she may be coming back though, given the supernatural-ness of the story. She might become some kind of living dead girl later on in the series.
(Her stalking skillz are so OP, she'll still be after him even after dying! Maybe.)
Jul 14, 2010 1:55 PM

Jan 2009
Cholisose said:
I have a feeling she may be coming back though, given the supernatural-ness of the story.
Besides, she's supposed to be a main character, so it'd be strange to comlpetely kill her off already, wouldn't it?
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 14, 2010 2:49 PM

Jun 2009
Oosran said:
Cholisose said:
I have a feeling she may be coming back though, given the supernatural-ness of the story.
Besides, she's supposed to be a main character, so it'd be strange to comlpetely kill her off already, wouldn't it?

Ah, stop talking about the same shit all time.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jul 14, 2010 10:44 PM

Apr 2009
interesting first episode, not sure where it's going but curious enough to keep watching.
Jul 15, 2010 6:27 PM

Feb 2010
Pretty cool first ep. very weird... i liked it alot. This is one of those awesome shows where i have NO idea what to expect.... :)
Jul 16, 2010 9:08 AM
Jul 2018
First thought, Higurashi but with older characters type thing
Jul 16, 2010 2:04 PM

Sep 2009
This is the best anime of this season!
Jul 16, 2010 3:19 PM

Jun 2009
Nice first episode steady pace to keep you wanting more i enjoyed it.
Jul 17, 2010 12:14 AM

Jul 2007
BLeakXBuRSTX19 said:
outlawauron said:
Fai said:
Sherr said:
I didn't see anything really appealing from this episode. I hope I get a better idea the next episode.
But so far, Occult Academy surpasses this as the better supernatural show for the summer.

ARe you seriously comparing a mainstream comedy series to psychological thriller/horror series like shiki? What is wrong with people nowadays.....

lolwut. Since when was Occult Academy ever considered mainstream comedy?

i agree since when was Occult Academy a mainstream series lol ur retarded just stop trying to defend Shiki because you suck at it :P btw Occult Academy is a SUPERNATURAL...comedy series

Oh but thats the truth..

Occult Academy is nothing more than a collection of various homages, glued together by silly comedy and characters. It has the depth that of a puddle and hardly counts as horror. Its no deeper than higurashi or jigoku shoujo and both of those shows were already as shallow as it can get and acted as piss-poor "i watch horror" argument for more mainstream people.

As I said, don't expect plot twists, silly comedy or etc with this show. its deeper and way more complex than that and if you can't get that, well, your loss.
Jul 17, 2010 2:31 AM

Feb 2009
Fai said:
Its no deeper than higurashi or jigoku shoujo and both of those shows were already as shallow as it can get and acted as piss-poor "i watch horror" argument for more mainstream people.

If retarded people watch it for ''lol killer lolis'',it doesn't mean it's shallow.I would agree if you called these two(especially higurashi) repetitive or boring,but shallow?There's much more to higurashi than killer lolis and jigoku shoujo has an interesting and compelling concept and a beautiful soundtrack even though it becomes retardedly repetitive.Maybe Shiki is ''deeper'' than what people generally like when watching higurashi(''lol killer lolis''),but that's not the only part of it.Also,why the hell do we compare occult academy with shiki when they're totally different.Occult academy hardly takes itself seriously but succeeds in mixing the funny moments with deeper ones without making it strange and retarded(like Angel Beats for example).Shiki is a slow paced,hauntingly beautiful horror.I can't understand how someone could compare these two.Then again,I saw people comparing Shiki with Twilight.
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Jul 17, 2010 5:20 AM

Aug 2009
the figures and the atmosphere reminded me a bit of Tim Burton, so that's why I really liked this first episode. It had something different from the usual anime norms. It def keeps me interesting to see what will happen next. Not my fav series of the season atm, but it was worth watching and has great potential.
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.”Akira Kurosawa
Jul 18, 2010 4:31 PM
Jan 2009
Not much happened in this episode.
Jul 18, 2010 9:16 PM

Oct 2009
I like.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 19, 2010 9:32 AM

Dec 2009
I like the horror aspect but the animation gets on my nerves. How am I suppose to take this seriously when the hair is from some comedy/shoujo?

Oh and Megumi was just annoying and aggravating. Her two favorite things or those that 'matter' of her village are things that well weren't always there and aren't family or friends. Glad she died; at least for now she isn't talking.

And I won't get into how some of the other things that bugged me.

So far I am liking Occult Academy a lot more.

Jul 20, 2010 3:34 AM

Jan 2009
Wow, I'm impressed. That was one of the best first episodes I've ever watched. I'm eagerly waiting to watch more. I think this, along Occult Gakuin, will become my favorites for this summer.
Jul 20, 2010 5:00 AM
Jul 2018
For one thing, I dislike the art. For another, I'm loving the music. It's creepy and all. This kind of anime is not really my cup of tea, but I guess it'll be worth watching another episode.
Jul 20, 2010 6:57 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Lind_L_Tailor said:
OrochiPL said:
Lind_L_Tailor said:
This seems to be following the template that Higurashi set out, which is a shame, because I really didn't enjoy Higurashi as a horror all that much.

No no no. Original novel by Ono Fuyumi is older than Higurashi.

Oh, really?

Well, a lot of what I was referring to goes for the visual style and the directing, so my comment is still kinda valid. Nonetheless, the point is, it follows the style of something that didn't have particularly great horror.

Or maybe I'm just setting my standards too high after Uzumaki.

Uzumaki was plain DISTURBING. It's not that suspenseful, just really really disturbing.... (disturbing beyond mind fuck)

Brand said:
MEGATRON said:

That was pretty lulz worthy. I'd be pretty relived myself though if a creepy girl stopped stalking me and looking though my window all the time.

...until her dead corpse starts stalking you....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 22, 2010 9:12 AM

Mar 2008
Love it!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 22, 2010 10:17 AM
Nov 2008
The only thing that I really liked was the opening. xD

Megumi died, yay. :D
Jul 22, 2010 2:14 PM

Jun 2008
This was actually very good. Intense.
Jul 23, 2010 11:42 PM

Jun 2008
I don't know why so many people complain about this. I just saw the first episode and it's amazing.
Some people have no idea what atmosphere build up means.

Megumi was kind of an airhead but i disagree again with the happiness of her death by many here. She was a teenage girl of course she would be a little head on the clouds. And you have to admit she has a point about that damn village. A young girl like her with love for fashion and all that living in such a place is logical to get bored out of her head.

I believe the show made a good job at showing her from one aspect as an airhead immature naive person but still a human being that can make you feel it's presence. It's just that people don't let themselves get sucked into the world of the anime. Maybe some are scared to do it.

The whole presentation of the village and the antithesis of Megumi in it seemed very nice and clever to me. Actually i found a few bishounen looking males more unfitting to be there than her.
Jul 24, 2010 3:38 AM

Jun 2009
They blew it with a scary - spine thrilling start - decayed corpse on a 1st view

I don't really watch this anime lol, but this one is different among those vampire anime type
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Jul 24, 2010 10:24 PM

Jul 2007
I liked it, a very interesting start.

and, NANDATO!!?

most awesome beard ever
Jul 25, 2010 8:01 AM
Nov 2008
Trie said:
I liked it, a very interesting start.

and, NANDATO!!?

most awesome beard ever

EPIC BEARD MAN. lol
Jul 25, 2010 9:39 AM
Jul 2009
It was OK. Mediocre. One thing that I can't get off my mind, though, is this; How the heck are we meant to take this series seriously when that blue-haired guy is around?! -_-;
Jul 26, 2010 8:08 AM

Mar 2008
Good thing she died :)
I'm looking forward to watch the next episode now.. ^^
Jul 26, 2010 7:09 PM

Feb 2009
I can understand her feeling of being out of place, but to die so young...
I know of the manga and think this will turn well at least I hope so.
Jul 29, 2010 1:53 PM

Mar 2009
The story was good so far, the art was bizarre but not ugly at all. Nice overall but I'm worried, I don't wanna see something like Vampire Knight or the Twilight of anime.

What annoyed me in this episode were the comic scenes, I was really hoping for something grim and darker than what I got. I hope that since Megumi died, comic scenes will get more rare.

My expectations were something like Boogiepop Phantom. Well, maybe not so dark but at least so grim. It fell short on that :/
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Jul 31, 2010 11:37 PM

Jun 2009
I ended up watching this series after all. There was nothing happening in this episode except for Megumi's death, and the Kirishiki's moving in. I don't really hate Megumi, and I know a lot of people find her annoying and yes me too. Yup, the castle house up there where the Kirishiki lives doesn't make me feel scared watching this. Going on to second episode, and yes I know I was late watching this:P

Aug 9, 2010 1:04 AM

Jan 2008
Monad said:
Megumi was kind of an airhead but i disagree again with the happiness of her death by many here. She was a teenage girl of course she would be a little head on the clouds. And you have to admit she has a point about that damn village. A young girl like her with love for fashion and all that living in such a place is logical to get bored out of her head.

Agreed.

Not sure if I'll enjoy this but I'm interested to see where this goes.

Some of the background music was eerie.
memorieswithinAug 9, 2010 1:18 AM
Aug 20, 2010 12:25 AM

Jun 2009
Interesting...Will have to see how this one turns out.
Sep 2, 2010 6:55 PM

Jan 2010
Interesting episode for me .
Sep 12, 2010 8:46 AM

Oct 2009
I decided to give this show a try after I have seen so many people talk about it favorably.
First episode was good, so I am going to see what happens next.

Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shiki Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Dec 30, 2010

958 by mairyland »»
Apr 10, 11:14 AM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Dec 9, 2010

202 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 5:46 PM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Dec 2, 2010

312 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 5:17 PM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Nov 25, 2010

226 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 4:40 PM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Nuzuky - Oct 14, 2010

245 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 12:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.