Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 15, 2009 1:26 PM

Jul 2009
Fantastic series, pure genius. 9.5/10

Pros: Best storyline of any anime, fantastic characters all round, great drama, great suspense, animation wasn't over the top in anyway and the sound was good.

Cons: While the beginning, middle and end were nothing short of genius there were chunks of episodes that were a bit slow-paced for my liking and overall, it was fairly ambiguous.
Aug 16, 2009 12:05 AM

Jan 2009
2 words: Epic Masterpiece. There should be nothing below this rank to rate this series. An unique experience, unique characters, unique; In terms of plot, storyline, music, ambience and artwork.

I noticed; we even knew some of the kids that were at 511 Kinderheim, Roberto, Grimmer and Johann who didn't get too many timescreen, I still can't believe it how they made such a successful character with just a few screentime, Im not even taking in consideration that hes one of the main leads.

I loved how this anime analyzes human behavior and human nature, its flawless and subtle mysterious touch is just beyond words, I loved how many times Monster left me on my seat waiting like an asshole for answers; cliffhangers? Bloody hell, Madhouse sure knows how to give us a friggin' good and anxious episode without telling us much whats going on.

This can't be rated below 10. This is getting a 10 from me. Brilliant.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Aug 22, 2009 5:31 PM

Feb 2009
10/10 brilliant.
Aug 26, 2009 11:43 PM

Nov 2008
Aaaagh, I didn't realize Grimmer and Roberto were buddies from 511 Kinderheim until I read through the replies here. Man, I hate it when the facts hit you too late.

About the series in general, I loved everything about it all through the time I watched it, ultimately thinking this was probably going to be one of my favorite anime of all time. I'm still soaking in the ending, I was expecting something completely different and it was so crazy and ambiguous and wow. Tenma is such a badass, he doesn't even have to be one of those cold hard heroes to be one. And Johan, the perfect monster for a villain. Hell, all the characters were portrayed in such a dark and realistic fashion, they made me feel utterly engrossed within the series. This really was a masterpiece through and through, 10/10 without a doubt.
Aug 31, 2009 12:28 AM
Jun 2009
This was an amazing series, not gonna say anything else since everyone else covered it. =) 10/10
Aug 31, 2009 5:03 PM

Feb 2009
I felt great sadness when Grimmer was killed, he was such a good character, when Tenma was in the hospital with Johan, it was a very delightful scene, because after all that happened and Tenma's adamance to kill "The Monster" he was poignant when he met Johan.

The hulucination was very eccentric, as he was talking normally then all of a sudden Johan was up. I suppose it all fits in with the kind of story created. The ending was left ambiguos, but that was very relevant to the series as there needs to be kept that mystery aura around it! Overall 9/10.
Sep 5, 2009 9:37 AM
Jan 2009
After completing the Monster anime, just like most of the people here, i googled like crazy to find an answer to the unanswered twists.
There was a question i came across repeatedly people askng, i.e, Why was johan dressed up a little girl?
Well, if u remember the time when Tenma was inquiring about the mother and her twins in the Three Frogs, the old man said there were never twins, it was just a mother and a child. The mom dressed Johan up a girl to avoid detection by the Czech secret police after running away from them, but sadly, it did not work out.
One more thing, the reason Johan went bonkers and killed all those middle aged couples was probably because when he saw his mother choosing one over the other, he stopped trusting everyone and killed them before they could inflict such pain to him...wat do u people think? I kept thinking what the reason could be and came up with this..
In one of the ending eps, nina was scared tht johan would remember one particular horrible memory .. what was it? His mom choosing them?
Was the experiment about destroying emotions? What was Johans big plan? What did he want to accomplish by the perfect suicide? And how did the kids read Franz bonapartas books? Did they attend any of his book readings in the red rose mansion?
Kindly help!! I am losing sleep over this one!
An awesome anime, cant believe its over already! 11/10!!!!
Sep 23, 2009 10:09 AM

Nov 2008
EPIC ! 10/10

I amazed that it took me so much time to actually start watching this. Even though some bits were a little slow paced i dont feel like I wasted a minute watching this show. The characters are amazing, was truly crushed when Grimmer died...although i expected it. Johann is the most scary son of a blonde I ever seen...his eternal calmness and the eyes combined with his voice is amazing. I'm making a signature with that character...just to scare people that recognize him xD.

Great anime.

Oct 11, 2009 7:35 AM

Jun 2009
This is true masterpiece. Final fits great. If I start to describe how fantastic Monster is, it will take too much time. Will just say it's my favourite anime, 10/10.
Jan 3, 2010 8:22 AM

Dec 2008
1 of my favourite anime's i give it a 10/10
Jan 17, 2010 4:55 PM

Jul 2009
Why was this show good again? The first half had so much potential and the second half just threw it all away. The dialogue became cheesy and ridiculous. The themes were so cliche and predictable. The characters? Oh god, don't get me started. The ending saved it from being a total disaster.

I thought I'd like this series. I really did. Boy, was I wrong.
Jan 19, 2010 9:45 AM

Jun 2008
controlmajortom said:
Why was this show good again? The first half had so much potential and the second half just threw it all away. The dialogue became cheesy and ridiculous. The themes were so cliche and predictable. The characters? Oh god, don't get me started. The ending saved it from being a total disaster.

It was suited for a mature audience, had moral themes that was relatively thought-provoking, and was not really cliche or predictable. You could explain on why it is so. The theme might be somewhat cliche, since there aren't many themes to begin with, but the storytelling was pretty different, I would think. A brilliant neurosurgeon who helped a child to live only to understand that the child he saved was a ruthless murderer and manipulator. Now, I'm not really saying this is like the best thing ever, since I think I rated a 8 or 9 or something as it got a bit tedious and repetitive near the end, but I can't imagine it being "so" cliched, or predictable. A little elaboration might help.
Jan 23, 2010 4:51 AM

Nov 2009
10/10

I finished it a few days ago and it is a true masterpiece.

I have one theory. I think their mother knew who's Johan and who's Anna. She decided at the last moment to protect Johan because she knew his abilities. And when you think about it, it is more logical to ''save'' the ones who have more chance of becoming evil etc.
The end was perfect! Especially the scene at the hospital.
Jan 26, 2010 7:59 PM

Jul 2009
Tachii said:
controlmajortom said:

It was suited for a mature audience, had moral themes that was relatively thought-provoking, and was not really cliche or predictable. You could explain on why it is so. The theme might be somewhat cliche, since there aren't many themes to begin with, but the storytelling was pretty different, I would think. A brilliant neurosurgeon who helped a child to live only to understand that the child he saved was a ruthless murderer and manipulator. Now, I'm not really saying this is like the best thing ever, since I think I rated a 8 or 9 or something as it got a bit tedious and repetitive near the end, but I can't imagine it being "so" cliched, or predictable. A little elaboration might help.

Uh no. It tried, but it failed.

One of the reviewers put it best. He described Monster as an "endless menagerie of typical psychological anime bullshitting that pretends to be meaningful and significant, yet ultimately says patently obvious things and never imparts any meaning at all."

That's pretty much spot on.
Jan 27, 2010 2:27 AM

Jun 2009
controlmajortom said:
"endless menagerie of typical psychological anime bullshitting that pretends to be meaningful and significant, yet ultimately says patently obvious things and never imparts any meaning at all."

I'm always surprised when I read such phrases. Some reviewers think they are seers or someone else, how do they know if anime pretends to be meaningful? Just egocentric point of view and nothing else, 'cause Monster is a kind of anime that lays out all the cards on the table in the end, and you have nothing else to add. If you ask me if Monster has really very deep meaning, I'd say no, it doesn't. It's deep enough to say it's good, but not more. This anime is a detective psychological thriller, its main advantages are outstanding story, great characters and nerve strain here and there, NOT some deep meaning.
If reviewer didn't know, 99.9% of ALL works of art repeat and combine previous experience, "say patently obvious things". The main psychological problems are quite the same for a big time. The main thing is how creators show us what they wanted to show and how they make us feel what they wanted us to feel.
And well, if reviewer thinks that there's an "endless menagerie of typical psychological anime bullshitting", so he just doesn't like psychological anime, and that's all. Writing a whole review for Monster is just a sign of a criticaster in this case.
Feb 2, 2010 7:47 AM

Jan 2009
wow im still in a shock.. i cant tell how great this serie was. but i have some questions probably only i missed them so if anyone can answer id be pretty happy^^

i couldnt get why Nina forgives Johan? for what? and what is that 'deep memory' thing they've been talking about in the latest episodes??

onegai give me a reply:( i dont want to have any question marks in my mind about this wonderful serie:(
Feb 2, 2010 8:47 AM
Dec 2009
isobel said:
wow im still in a shock.. i cant tell how great this serie was. but i have some questions probably only i missed them so if anyone can answer id be pretty happy^^

i couldnt get why Nina forgives Johan? for what? and what is that 'deep memory' thing they've been talking about in the latest episodes??

Nina forgives Johan for killing everyone who was kind to them. She thinks if she had forgiven him after he killed the Lieberts, he wouldn't have gone on to kill any more people. The memory referred to in the last few episodes is Johan and Nina's memory of their mother choosing Nina for the experiment.
Feb 2, 2010 9:32 AM

Jan 2009
deardesperate said:
isobel said:

Nina forgives Johan for killing everyone who was kind to them. She thinks if she had forgiven him after he killed the Lieberts, he wouldn't have gone on to kill any more people. The memory referred to in the last few episodes is Johan and Nina's memory of their mother choosing Nina for the experiment.

hmm i was thinking about the same but.. i dont know guess im not satisfied and wanted another answer:P eventually its not like its meaningless so its ok.. thx^^
Feb 3, 2010 3:41 AM

Jan 2009

I believe she forgave him for not being the one their mother chose for the experiment. Johan felt deep guilt for what happened to Nina, that's why he absorbed her memories as his and acted that way, as if it all happened to him.
Feb 3, 2010 4:01 AM

Jan 2009
LiarK said:

I believe she forgave him for not being the one their mother chose for the experiment. Johan felt deep guilt for what happened to Nina, that's why he absorbed her memories as his and acted that way, as if it all happened to him.

hmm that makes sense.. ^^
so the 'true monster' is Mother in any way >.<
Apr 16, 2010 8:53 PM

Jun 2008
An amazing end to an amazing anime.

The last hospital scene was brilliant, suspense filled, story telling.

Who cares what their names are, we really didn't need to know.

and finally, the final scene, what can I say, a cliffhanger right at the end, a great way to end this type of story.

Usually in some other anime, this type of ending would have been shunned, but I have really taken a liking to it, I found it very symbolic, WHO IS THE REAL MONSTER?

Was it the mother, Bonaparta, Johan, Nina, Tenma??? The author leaves that decision up to the reader, the whole series was very psychological, and involved many themes that are not easy to explain.

10/10 easily one of the best manga/anime EVER MADE.
Apr 16, 2010 10:21 PM
Nov 2009
alexcampos said:
An amazing end to an amazing anime.

The last hospital scene was brilliant, suspense filled, story telling.

Who cares what their names are, we really didn't need to know.

and finally, the final scene, what can I say, a cliffhanger right at the end, a great way to end this type of story.

Usually in some other anime, this type of ending would have been shunned, but I have really taken a liking to it, I found it very symbolic, WHO IS THE REAL MONSTER?

Was it the mother, Bonaparta, Johan, Nina, Tenma??? The author leaves that decision up to the reader, the whole series was very psychological, and involved many themes that are not easy to explain.

10/10 easily one of the best manga/anime EVER MADE.

I'd hope that no one looks at Nina or Tenma as a monster.
Apr 17, 2010 6:34 AM

Nov 2009
alexcampos said:
WHO IS THE REAL MONSTER?

Was it the mother, Bonaparta, Johan, Nina, Tenma???

I think Bonaparta is the true monster. He is in the center of everything that happened. He created a monster inside the twins' mother and this monster consumed her and thus she also created a monster.
bakuramariksApr 29, 2010 3:57 PM
Apr 20, 2010 3:18 AM

Jun 2009
bakuramariks said:
alexcampos said:
WHO IS THE REAL MONSTER?

Was it the mother, Bonaparta, Johan, Nina, Tenma???

I think Bonaparta is the true monster. He is in the center of everything that happened. He created a monster inside the twin's mother and this monster consumed her and thus she also created a monster.

Well said. Bonaparta/Poppe really set everything in motion. It was his experiments that lead to so many other events, such as Kinderheim.
May 22, 2010 6:43 PM

Nov 2009
Elensar said:

In one of the ending eps, nina was scared tht johan would remember one particular horrible memory .. what was it? His mom choosing them?
Was the experiment about destroying emotions? What was Johans big plan? What did he want to accomplish by the perfect suicide? And how did the kids read Franz bonapartas books? Did they attend any of his book readings in the red rose mansion?

1. Yes.
2. The experiment was about creating perfect soldiers, who can be used by the people with power for the good of the nation (depending what those people considered "good"; Another Monster kind of helped here, but i'm not sure. Nothing is certain in this anime, lol). And i think the eugenic experiment was a different one from the first experiment that began in the 60s. Maybe Bonaparta wanted to create dictator that people would follow.
3. No idea what this 'plan' is o.O.
4. To erase himself. Because, this is my opinion, Johan realised that his life was pointless. He acted this whole time based on a book, he remembered his memories and so... he just wanted to erase his pointless existence.
5./6. The kids attended the book readings.

I still think on some matters and i find new things, damn it. I love Monster. But don't take my explanations for truth. Jeez, i love psychological stuff xD.
May 25, 2010 1:20 AM

Apr 2009
Good ending, although the end scene with Johan disappeared from the bed could have been a bit more of a 'BANG!' ending.

Overall, it was enjoyable. Some of the episodes were not as consistent as others in terms of content quality, but I can't expect brilliant every episode can I?

8/10
May 29, 2010 6:20 PM

May 2010
I hate to say this, but I kind of agree with controlmajortom. Not all the way, of course, I have a bit more respect for this series than he did, but I definitely had issues with it. The worst thing is, that for a series this long, little petty issues that wouldn't affect me at all in a 26 episode series just start grating on my nerves more and more. Like, the beginnings, sometimes they were the last 2-3 minutes of the previous episode, and sometimes they started where the last episode left off. If it was a recap every time, I could skip it and be happy. If it started off where the previous episode left off, then I wouldn't have to skip it ever, and I'd be happy. But, now I have to watch a bit just to see if it is a recap, and if it is, then skip it. Doesn't this seem like the most petty issue to have with an anime ever? Yet by the end of 74 episodes it had me in RAGE!!!! Gah! But no, I had more serious issues with it, and I can't agree with a 10 or a 9. I liked it enough for an 8 though. I suppose I'll decide in the morning if it's an 8 or a 7.
“Money can't buy dere”
May 30, 2010 8:38 PM

Jun 2008
I also ended up with an 8.

However realistic it might be for Tenma to delay over and over again and being indecisive about what he should do til like episode 74, it doesn't make a decent *story* into a excellent story in my book. Fictions needs to have realistic themes and motives and in other such areas, but a fiction is still a fiction. To make it enjoyable, it needs element of unrealism in order to be interesting to watch. I enjoy some of the ethical issues being dealt in the show, I enjoy contemplating if Johan can ever be changed, I enjoy trying to figure out who was really the initiator to this whole conflict, but I did not enjoy what seems like prolonging a series that might as well end sooner. I see this same problem with 20th Century Boys.
May 30, 2010 8:56 PM

Sep 2008
Ahaha, Mamiko Noto being late as always. I wish we got to hear their real names though. I thought that as Tenma was walking out of Johann's room, he would have like taped his real name over some nameplate.

Normally I wouldn't agree to such an age differenced relationship, but Mamiko Noto looked so happy hearing about Tenma that it looked like it was more than saving her brother.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 5, 2010 1:17 AM

May 2010
For who people who are asking who is the real monster?
I think what the author tried to show was that everyone is good and bad. So the monster may have been Johan but it was because he was conditioned so by other people, it wasn't just one person who made him into this. Tenma being a 'good guy' becuase he saved bad guys it caused more people to die, so technically there is right or wrong as his only choice was to either be a killer or save lives and thus create this circle anyways. Throughout the whole series it shows how feeble humans are and would become monsters in situations when survival is at stake. I think that this whole thing was just to show that whole idea, how there can be a good person who murders others, but someone who may be a terrible being but doesn't do anything 'evil' per say, there is not distinct line that one can draw to divide up those who are good or bad.

Why did Johan dress like a girl when younger?
the mother was escaping so she had to conceal the fact that she had twins, so she dressed them up the same so people wouldn't notice. (The only thing I find strange is that she decided to make them both girls, wouldn't it be easier to just cut Nina's hair and have them disguised as boys?)

Names?
We didn't find out their names but I don't think it was necessary. Much like Nina's 'original' name was Anna she still kept her name as Nina. Even if they found out their names nothing would change. For all we know the mother may have called them by the names she chose for them while she was with them, they just don't remember, (unless their real names were Johan and anna afteral)l. It just shows how they were loved and were given names so they are not just nobodies and can now move on.

Cliff ending?
well yea it's a cliff ending but I think things are going to be alright now, becuase everyone knows the truth now and how Tenma is innocent and all, so even if Johan decided to go on a killing spree again they would most likely catch him. Before he had followers which took him years to find, or rather they found him, so now that he has no backup he has no power. The only thing that can happen is if he starts all over with the small things like making small kids kill themselves in which case it just shows how referring to previous point, society just keeps repeating it's own history and humans will never change as they will always have this streak of 'evilness' in them. If Johan doesn't do anything then someone else will.
SkwiggyJun 5, 2010 1:21 AM
Jun 5, 2010 5:40 AM

Nov 2009
Skwiggy said:

the mother was escaping so she had to conceal the fact that she had twins, so she dressed them up the same so people wouldn't notice. (The only thing I find strange is that she decided to make them both girls, wouldn't it be easier to just cut Nina's hair and have them disguised as boys?)

It would be easier to dressed them as girls. She just have to buy a wig and a dress and everything is ok. But it would've been troublesome to cut Nina's hair exactly like her brother's every time it starting to grow. And i doubt she can (or anyone else) try to cut her hair exactly as her brother's. People might see the difference here and there. And the dress is a little wide, hide everything. But we just think too much xD.
Jun 21, 2010 8:04 PM

Jul 2008
I'm glad their true names weren't revealed in the end. It adds to the ambiguous ending.
Jul 7, 2010 7:57 PM

Jan 2010
That hospital scene...I was not expecting Johan to suddenly be sitting there. <3

I didn't really care about the names. I still wish that Johan had died even though he's my favorite character; live action or anime.

He's always given me the creeps whenever he was on screen which is probably why I like him so much. xD
\
Jul 9, 2010 6:35 AM

Dec 2008
Kenzo Tenma is just too friggin' good to be true! If it were me, after I cleared my name and I got my life back, I would send a tentacled monster to mercilessly and repeatedly rape Eva Heineman!! It's not fair that she got to walk away from this basically unscathed and she single-handedly damn near ruined Tenma's life!

But, I digress...At least we did get to see Johan's memory and what truly tormented him. Which child did their mother REALLY intend to hand over? Was it truly supposed to be Nina, or did she intend to hand over Johan but couldn't tell them apart?

Hmmm...
Jul 18, 2010 11:51 AM

May 2007
nerohigh said:
Does anyone know why Johan cross dressed as a young child? Nonetheless it was a fufilling anime.

My thoughts exactly xD

Elensar said:
There was a question i came across repeatedly people askng, i.e, Why was johan dressed up a little girl?
Well, if u remember the time when Tenma was inquiring about the mother and her twins in the Three Frogs, the old man said there were never twins, it was just a mother and a child. The mom dressed Johan up a girl to avoid detection by the Czech secret police after running away from them, but sadly, it did not work out.

And thank you very much :P

bakuramariks said:
Skwiggy said:

It would be easier to dressed them as girls. She just have to buy a wig and a dress and everything is ok. But it would've been troublesome to cut Nina's hair exactly like her brother's every time it starting to grow. And i doubt she can (or anyone else) try to cut her hair exactly as her brother's. People might see the difference here and there. And the dress is a little wide, hide everything. But we just think too much xD.

To me, the main issue in having them both as boys would be the hair-color difference. Johan's had an much lighter shade of blonde.

While we're in this "cross-dressing" issue, I was surprised how Johan not only continued to dress as Nina, even as an adult, but actually made an guy fall in love with him...

Overall, great characters, wonderfull music (especially the first ending, that together with the images make one of the best OP/ED ever) and an intriguing story, just thought some episodes were kind of useless (like the one Tenma helps that doctor in an small town) and I'm not a big fan of cliffhanger endings...

9/10
brunokmJul 18, 2010 3:22 PM
Jul 21, 2010 8:18 PM

May 2010
Some people just have no taste.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jul 27, 2010 10:29 AM

May 2010
Beyond Epic . .

The ending was satisfying..
Everyone is back to their happy lives which is refreshing in my part..
The twins' names?? It doesn't matter..
Tenma saved again Johan which Tenma should always do..
The last scene, looking into the eyes of Johan still really giving me creeps.. ~_~
Who is the Real Monster?? Let's leave that to ourselves.. We have different views of
human life, so there's no definite answer for that..

So far, this is one of the best masterpiece I've seen for its thought-provoking story..

I'll give this the highest rating as I could give..

BTW, thanks to all who posted before me... That enlightened me and answered all

my questions..
Jul 30, 2010 6:09 PM

Feb 2010
Great Series, I'm glad I waited so long to watch it.
9/10
AlcoholicideJul 30, 2010 11:57 PM
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 7, 2010 12:24 AM

May 2008
I honestly have to say, the end left me still asking a bunch of simple questions. A few I'm still thinking about are:

Why did Dr. Tenma agree to help Johann and give him surgery again?
Also, why is Johann presumably not going to kill again? Also, the police are obviously looking for him, and he's just sitting in the hospital? Don't a bunch of people know he's there?
Can someone answer please? Thanks :D

Anyway, after I came to this thread, things started to make more sense, and wow what a beautiful series. Deserves nothing less than a 10 in my mind.
Also in reference to Johann being gone from his bed, which was obviously put in to create controversy, I found this argument on another forum which I found incredibly profound. Unlikely, sure, but beautifully profound.

"[In reference to why Johann was gone from his bed,] Johan ceased to exist after the incident, from people's minds and reality. That's what he was wanting to do all along, which is die in the minds of everybody"
theeggman85Aug 7, 2010 12:30 AM
Aug 11, 2010 12:35 PM

May 2010
theeggman85 said:
I honestly have to say, the end left me still asking a bunch of simple questions. A few I'm still thinking about are:

Why did Dr. Tenma agree to help Johann and give him surgery again?
Also, why is Johann presumably not going to kill again? Also, the police are obviously looking for him, and he's just sitting in the hospital? Don't a bunch of people know he's there?
Can someone answer please? Thanks :D

Anyway, after I came to this thread, things started to make more sense, and wow what a beautiful series. Deserves nothing less than a 10 in my mind.
Also in reference to Johann being gone from his bed, which was obviously put in to create controversy, I found this argument on another forum which I found incredibly profound. Unlikely, sure, but beautifully profound.

"[In reference to why Johann was gone from his bed,] Johan ceased to exist after the incident, from people's minds and reality. That's what he was wanting to do all along, which is die in the minds of everybody"

It has been very long since I watched the series, if I recall, I think Johan's disappearance from his room suggest he knows where his mother is.

I think Nina explained why Tenma decided to save Johan again.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 30, 2010 7:23 AM
Aug 2010
The fact how it was revealed that Johan didn't become a monster via some heinous psychological experimentation but by feeling rejected etc. just shows how there's a (relative) monster inside each of us and that (relatively) little things are all it requires to bring it out, it doesnt have to be rocket science; likewise a recurring theme throughout the series is how little positive things can equally be used to suppress the monster (back again), how taking delight in ordinary things with people who care about you can make all the bad memories of the past seem insignificant.

I think the "nameless world" symbolizes a (theoretical) state where things just happen in the world without any person being actually responsible from causing them, a world without free will where the phenomenon of causation is removed from the objects in its chain, without anyone being able to be singled out and anyone being able to say "that one did it", which having its good and bad sides, but mostly bad, is just the opposite extreme to our society of "absolute justice", which also has mostly bad sides as shown most clearly in how Tenma is being chased despite being a "good guy" and how Johan is presumed to stop killing once acknowledged.

Another way of looking it is that because we all are, and nobody of us is, a monster, that being prone to single out individuals like that is just a evolutionary error in us, the nameless world state, despite feeling bizarre and alien, is in fact how things work in reality, with various parties contributing to what will ultimately be labeled as the sin of only one person (via the little things mentioned before and lack thereof). And that we should realize this, realize which elements work by the "nameless world theory" and which not, and stop calling each others monsters with sloppy reasoning. I think a major message of Monster is "mercy trumps justice", or that they are in fact the same thing. Beautiful.

It's sad thing people don't actually learn anything from watching meaningful stuff like this :(. That's why we need, and will have, the IRL Light Yagamis (= people who believe their ideas of justice are the supremely right ones and try to enforce them on everyone, all just because of having been fed the idea of the existence of any kind of absolute justice their entire lives) again and again...
RizingGeyzirAug 30, 2010 7:44 AM
Sep 1, 2010 2:42 PM

Apr 2009
9/10 for me.
awesome twists and mature series...
its just some episodes were so slow paced, especially the last ones.. it would've been very bad to watch those episodes on a weekly basis
Sep 9, 2010 11:06 AM

Sep 2009
Finally the end :o!
Enjoyed it though :) rounded it off nicely.
TIME TO LIVE FOREVER BABY!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19549
Please join if you love Asian Cinema :)
Sep 11, 2010 7:23 PM

Feb 2009
Finally watched the last of this series and loved it. I didn't like some of the boring parts in the middle but overall this was a great anime. I'm am quite satisfied with the end. I was hoping Johan would live at the end and he did. Although he was scary I think he was quite sad and I felt sorry for him in a way. Lots of unanswered questions but I am used to that now after watching so many anime. Gave it 9/10
Sep 21, 2010 11:34 PM
Sep 2010
isobel said:

onegai give me a reply:( i dont want to have any question marks in my mind about this wonderful serie:(
Sep 21, 2010 11:49 PM
Sep 2010
isobel said:

I thought Nina wanted to forgive Yohan because she feels responsible. It was Nina that told Yohan over and over again the story of the red rose mansion. Yohan eventually believed he was the one that went there himself. Then Bonapart unaware that both twins in a way went to that mansion had a change in heart and erases Nina's memory not knowing Yohan carried it on after. Bonapart saved Nina from becoming a monster but Nina inadvertently found a way for the monster to survive. Nina never became the monster but was the caused Yohan to become the monster.

Oh and the amazing captain stiener was the best wish they would have shown a fight scene.
Sep 21, 2010 11:59 PM
Sep 2010
bakuramariks said:
Skwiggy said:

I don't think the answer to that is a lot less complicated I mean they ran away and if the organization was looking for anyone it would be a single mother with a twin boy and girl. Not a mother with two girls.
Sep 22, 2010 11:30 PM

Jul 2010
Wow.. I wonder where Johan went and what he is going to do after he left the hospital. Really gets me thinking.. xD I wonder if he is going to his mother...to kill her maybe.

omg :O

lol

I love this series it really is amazing.
Sep 23, 2010 1:54 PM

Apr 2010
:(( Grimmer. I didn't want him 2 die. I think if he knew his real name he would able to rest more peacefully. He kicked ass. I hate it when the good characters get killed of but the jackasses and annoying guys stay....Deiter...Eva...
Speaking of jackasses...Johan. Dear God he's sick...AND on the loose again...history will definitely repeat its self until he is dead or immobile. Still he was a kick ass bad guy I wish he didn't go that route he definitely had potential to be something great.
[Catchy, cool, insightful quote]
Sep 24, 2010 10:10 AM

Nov 2009
Who said Johan escaped from the hospital? No one. I think this scene should not be interpreted literally. The empty bed might refer something else. I doubt Urasawa would end one of his manga in that way. It's too simple, it's... Monster is complicated and he wouldn't let his manga end in a simple way like Johan escaping from the hospital. Plus, waking up from a coma is not like waking up from a dream. The bullet surely damaged some parts of Johan's brain, more or less. He wasn't moving for months (judging from his grown hair), his muscles probably atrophied a little i guess. It's not like he woke up and started jumping around :D. I like how everything in this series is explained but not through words, but through events. Urasawa let the viewer/reader to decide what to think. That's why some questions may not be answered. For example, Johan's "escape" and the moment with their mother. What was she thinking? Why did she do that? It's up to us to decide. And that irritates me a little xD. But in the same time i love it, because i don't want everything to be explained right in front of my face.
Pages (13) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 71 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

253 by MeCuMint »»
Yesterday, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

114 by egeD19 »»
Apr 17, 10:03 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 11, 2008

134 by Ajanokoyna »»
Apr 13, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 55 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 15, 2008

70 by Dekuforce5 »»
Apr 13, 3:15 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 4, 2008

106 by wallus81 »»
Apr 8, 10:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.