Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 26, 1:27 AM
Aug 2014
>Kugyu lead
>with her common male love-interest co-star, Hino Satoshi
>Princess Kawasumi Ayako(her original specialty before everyone got a hard-on for Seiba)
>Horie Yui
>Shizuka Itou
>Yukarin

I swear that's almost the cast of Shakugan no Shana...except I dont believe Horie Yui had a role there and we're missing Noto Mamiko(which is Bad Civilization)

Alternatively, probably Zero no Tsukaima?
I suppose this is more Dragon Crisis though.
Add in Hamster and Shiraishi Ryoko for Hayate no Gotoku; Nagi, President and A-chan is already here.
May 26, 2:46 AM

Apr 2021
I do not understand reducing anime to surface level similarities, when basically all anime gain inspiration from the vast history of anime that came before them, and honestly, it is the difference that make each of them them unique.

I am watching this new anime and I have also watched 2 of the 3 shows you mentioned, but there is very little that is the same in them.
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

May 26, 3:04 AM

Jan 2017
ejleon said:
I am watching this new anime and I have also watched 2 of the 3 shows you mentioned, but there is very little that is the same in them.

He's talking about the Voice Actors, which had several works together, with dynamics between character being somewhat similar, which gives a very good nostalgia vibe, even if the stories are different. That is especially the case for the duo lead, Rie and Satoshi, which had major hit Animes in the 2000s.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
May 26, 3:23 AM

Apr 2021
Alexioos95 said:
ejleon said:

He's talking about the Voice Actors, which had several works together, with dynamics between character being somewhat similar, which gives a very good nostalgia vibe, even if the stories are different. That is especially the case for the duo lead, Rie and Satoshi, which had major hit Animes in the 2000s.

Wow … how embarrassing.

Thank you for explaining to me my obvious ignorance.

I apologize to the original poster and retract what I said in my comment.
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

May 26, 10:41 AM
Jul 2023
Alexioos95 said:
ejleon said:

I even knew what he was talking about and I've only watched Zero no Tsukaima out of the ones he mentioned. I had no idea about the other cast members being on this too but when I listened who was voicing Rys I immediately recognized the VA and for a moment I thought she was going to be voicing another annoyingly flat chested girl. So watching this new anime and her charter has been a bit refreshing.
May 26, 4:54 PM
Oct 2022
Grand return of Kugimiya-disease due to that OP as well. Been humming that shit at work for the past month or so. Literally unable to get it out of my damn head
May 26, 6:40 PM

Oct 2011
I feel the same way as you OP.

I love it so much
May 27, 3:35 PM

Jan 2024
StalkerFairy said:
Alternatively, probably Zero no Tsukaima?

Maaaaaan, I knew these two sounded familiar... Would have never guessed they did Overlord together too...daaaamn!
May 29, 11:51 AM
Aug 2014
Reply to ejleon
Alexioos95 said:
ejleon said:

Wow … how embarrassing.

Thank you for explaining to me my obvious ignorance.

I apologize to the original poster and retract what I said in my comment.
@ejleon

Pretty much what he said.
It's the equivalent to hearing Peter Cullen in the Bayformers movie or Adam West in a modern Batman series after a long period of time.

Kugimiya Rie(aka Kugyu), in particular was a very prominent VA of the 2000s, with relatively popular hits such as Shakugan no Shana, Zero no Tsukaima, Hayate no Gotoku, Hidan no Aria, Toradora.

Such common of the archetype of character she portrayed(short, pettan, (mostly) violent tsundere characters) that she rose to be THE prominent and iconic 'Queen of Tsundere' VA, with her portrayal being a definition of how tsunderes would be portrayed in animanga for the next decade or so.

And the funny thing is that those shows have one particular studio in common, that's also doing Lvl 2: JC Staff.

And then her many other iconic roles include Rose from Dragon Crisis, Kagura from Gintama, NobuNobu in FGO, Hastur from Nyaruko, Alphonse Elric from FMA, Kataoka Yuki from Saki and last but not least Minase Iori from IM@S(hence, the singing capability) as well as many more.

She cooled down for most of the 2010s, mostly doing mascot roles(eg Vym from GranBlue, Happy from Fairy Tail) and side characters, but she's also done some inversions of her specialty: example as Kiana Kaslana from Honkai(and her Herscher of the Void lookalike Unknown God in Genshin). But for the most part, she hasnt been the main female lead in a new series for a while.

Teh Kugyu is literally the reason Im watching this show.

And that's not to say her castmates are any less famous, all popular in their own right in the 2000s as well:
Tamura Yukari(ZENRYOKU ZENKAI! STARLIGHT BREAKER!!!)
Itou Shizuka(my personal nickname for her being "Captain" or "President" as some of her more notable roles to me were either being the President of a Club or a Student Council President)
Kawasumi Ayako(EX.....CALIBUR!!!!)
Horie Yui (I dont know everything. I only know what I know. If you dont know this quote, think of what "Ghost/Monster Story" translates to in JP)

This show is literally an female all-star cast reunion. As I mentioned in my OP, we're mainly missing Noto Mamiko(Ippen....shindeiru? Bad Civilisation!) here.
StalkerFairyMay 29, 11:55 AM
May 29, 11:56 AM

Mar 2023
I guess that's means that the show is good then.
May 29, 2:38 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to StalkerFairy
@ejleon

Pretty much what he said.
It's the equivalent to hearing Peter Cullen in the Bayformers movie or Adam West in a modern Batman series after a long period of time.

Kugimiya Rie(aka Kugyu), in particular was a very prominent VA of the 2000s, with relatively popular hits such as Shakugan no Shana, Zero no Tsukaima, Hayate no Gotoku, Hidan no Aria, Toradora.

Such common of the archetype of character she portrayed(short, pettan, (mostly) violent tsundere characters) that she rose to be THE prominent and iconic 'Queen of Tsundere' VA, with her portrayal being a definition of how tsunderes would be portrayed in animanga for the next decade or so.

And the funny thing is that those shows have one particular studio in common, that's also doing Lvl 2: JC Staff.

And then her many other iconic roles include Rose from Dragon Crisis, Kagura from Gintama, NobuNobu in FGO, Hastur from Nyaruko, Alphonse Elric from FMA, Kataoka Yuki from Saki and last but not least Minase Iori from IM@S(hence, the singing capability) as well as many more.

She cooled down for most of the 2010s, mostly doing mascot roles(eg Vym from GranBlue, Happy from Fairy Tail) and side characters, but she's also done some inversions of her specialty: example as Kiana Kaslana from Honkai(and her Herscher of the Void lookalike Unknown God in Genshin). But for the most part, she hasnt been the main female lead in a new series for a while.

Teh Kugyu is literally the reason Im watching this show.

And that's not to say her castmates are any less famous, all popular in their own right in the 2000s as well:
Tamura Yukari(ZENRYOKU ZENKAI! STARLIGHT BREAKER!!!)
Itou Shizuka(my personal nickname for her being "Captain" or "President" as some of her more notable roles to me were either being the President of a Club or a Student Council President)
Kawasumi Ayako(EX.....CALIBUR!!!!)
Horie Yui (I dont know everything. I only know what I know. If you dont know this quote, think of what "Ghost/Monster Story" translates to in JP)

This show is literally an female all-star cast reunion. As I mentioned in my OP, we're mainly missing Noto Mamiko(Ippen....shindeiru? Bad Civilisation!) here.
@StalkerFairy Thanks for the info and history, I appreciate it. I can also understand your excitement, thanks for sharing with me.

Jun 17, 7:48 AM
Jan 2016
Dude, you beat me to it. When I first heard the voice of the lead male character I was like isn't this Hino Satoshi then when the child Rys speak I immediately know it was Kugimiya Rie. Then I had this sudden realization after repeatedly hearing Hino Satoshi using his 'youth' voice rather than his deep evil voice (uhh Ainz) and that's when it hit me, aren't this the same male and female lead as Shakugan no Shana and Zero no Tsukaima...?

My first thought is to start a forum about this but here I'm in another forum which started by another comrade who actually reach the same realization as mine.

p/s: I also like Kiana from HI3. The transformation from annoying little brat to a mature person, all is possible because of Kugyu.
Jun 23, 10:47 PM

Jul 2016
Damn, perhaps I should have watched those 2000s shows a "prequel" to beginning this one.
Yesterday, 2:38 PM

Feb 2011
"bro this guy voiced something in another anime I like"

"bro this girl voiced something in the same anime oh my god"

"bro this is exactly the anime I watched 5 years ago it's the same bro please believe me bro people who do voice acting don't need more roles bro"

"bro they sound the same why cant you agree with me bro"

You're gonna cry when you see how many roles Yuki Kaji and Kana Hanazawa have had.

1.5/10 bait thread
or if worse
.5/10 actual thought put into this thread

Yesterday, 4:03 PM

Dec 2015
Reply to Scootboi
"bro this guy voiced something in another anime I like"

"bro this girl voiced something in the same anime oh my god"

"bro this is exactly the anime I watched 5 years ago it's the same bro please believe me bro people who do voice acting don't need more roles bro"

"bro they sound the same why cant you agree with me bro"

You're gonna cry when you see how many roles Yuki Kaji and Kana Hanazawa have had.

1.5/10 bait thread
or if worse
.5/10 actual thought put into this thread
@Scootboi .0000000001/10 for that comment.
just an ol school otaku enjoyin the life. don't sass me kiddies, i've been otaku probably since before you were born. leave me in peace and i won't bother you either.
Yesterday, 4:16 PM

Dec 2015
@StalkerFairy

mhm even if the context of the story is quite different... it is interesting when long-time co-workers (or those with past projects in common) gather together 'somehow' on a new anime project. whether JC Staff went out of their way to 'get the old band back together!' or things just coincidentally happened to end up that way... i guess we'll never know. unless the Head Director or the Casting Director let it slip sometime in the future. you know otaku fans and journalists had to have noticed this 'assembly of early 2000's talents' in Lvl2... especially the folks in Japan who obsess over VA's. :) so somebody somewhere has asked this question. :)

here's a bit more...

mostly from 'Shakugan no Shana': Shizuka Itou (Damalynas) as Wilhelmina "Manipulator of Objects" Carmel, Kugimiya Rie (Fenrys) as Shana, Hino Satoshi (Flio) as Sakai Yuuji, and Kawasumi Ayako (Princess) as Yoshida Kazumi

there is also Maeno Tomoaki (Gholl) as Maki Kanade in 'Kaichou wa Maid-sama!'

Hori Yui (Hiya) as Fiena in Sorcerous Stabber Orphen (which WAS in 1998 so a bit earlier). she also did Takeuchi Rio in 'Spiral: Suiri no Kizuna', Amemiya Yuriko in 'Nanaka 6/17', Chanohata Tamami in 'Mahoraba: Heartful Days'.

OF COURSE we can't forget 'Zero no Tsukaima' which starred Ms. Hori, Ms. Kugimiya, and Mr. Hino...

honorable mention to (The Demon General Hugi-Mugi) Mr. Fukushima Jun... yep Kazuma 'The Shut-In Hero' himself for his work before Drive took over from JC Staff on 'KonoSuba' and 'evil prince' Zabune in S2 of 'In Another World With My Smartphone' when JC took over that one.

Shimura Tomoyuki (The King) also had a role on 'Nanaka 6/17' as Arashiyama Jinpachi, and Kurusu Ginga in 'Gunparade March: Arata Naru Kougunka'.

Kawasumi Ayako (Queen Princess Elizabeth Klyrode) as Bishop Laura Stuart in the 'A Certain Magical/Scientific Index/Railgun' franchise, another alumni of 'Kaichou wa Maid-sama!' as Ayuzawa Minako, Aoki Yuriko in 'Bakuman', Tsurugaya Otsuu in 'Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi', Noda Megumi in the 'Nodame Cantabile' franchise.
KiliianSleipnirYesterday, 8:20 PM
just an ol school otaku enjoyin the life. don't sass me kiddies, i've been otaku probably since before you were born. leave me in peace and i won't bother you either.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lv2 kara Cheat datta Motoyuusha Kouho no Mattari Isekai Life Episode 12 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Yesterday

48 by Gator »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Lv2 kara Cheat datta Motoyuusha Kouho no Mattari Isekai Life Episode 11 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Jun 17

34 by Gator »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Lv2 kara Cheat datta Motoyuusha Kouho no Mattari Isekai Life Episode 10 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Jun 10

30 by KingBaller06 »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Found the best girl in the worst anime

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Jun 14

38 by Scootboi »»
Yesterday, 2:36 PM

Poll: » Are This Anime Is Really Isekai ?

Zenryou277 - Apr 25

28 by Scootboi »»
Yesterday, 2:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.