Forum Settings
Forums

Did the original work or the adaptation change your opinion of the work in a good or bad way?

New
May 18, 8:10 PM

Apr 2012
Has it ever happened to you that exposure to the original work, or vice versa, to its adaptation, significantly worsened or improved your experience of the title? I was inspired on this topic by recently watching the film The Cider House Rules for the first time, after reading a brief description of the original book of which I realized that if the book had been filmed 1 in 1, then I could have gotten a completely different movie and opinion about it.
May 18, 9:14 PM

Aug 2016
thanks for the film recommendation. but I was expecting anime. Anyway, Chainsawman comes to my mind. not a fan of the manga, but fortunatly the anime exists and made me reconsider my opinion on it (despite some lousy cgi here and there)
:v
May 18, 9:42 PM

Mar 2019
Pupa, the anime is a real vomit, but the manga is very easy to read, it's another horror manga like all the others.
The anime is one of the worst I've ever watched but the manga is actually cool in a way. 🐛

Another one that I can also mention is Violet Evergarden, the anime is very "please cry, look how emotional I am" something that the novel doesn't force (at least I didn't feel that when I read it).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 18, 10:31 PM

Aug 2018
Houseki no Kuni, both the anime and the manga, are beautiful in their respective ways. The anime definitely enhanced my experience with the manga, and vice versa. I cried while reading the manga, and I can only imagine myself bawling my eyes out when the anime is fully adapted until the end. It's a masterpiece.
May 18, 10:37 PM
Oct 2019
It helped enjoying the experience in the case of oshi no ko,Temple and Megami no cafe terrace but knowing the original material worsened the experience in case of Dosanko Gal wa Namara Menkoi,Oroka na Tenshi wa Akuma to Odoru(especially that case the anime don't give the manga justice) and Hametsu no Oukoku. So I say it depends so far it mixed depending case by case.
May 19, 1:59 AM

Sep 2016
Usagi Drop manga forever changed the experience of the anime.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 19, 2:21 AM

Nov 2023
No, I treat them like separate titles either way
May 19, 2:25 AM

Jan 2023
It depends, but I'd say that in general reading the original work after watching the anime lowers my opinion (even if sometimes just by a bit) of the adaptation.
May 19, 10:06 AM

Jul 2013
Well, I dont pay that much attention to the plots of anime television shows...because I am too busy with doing artwork to be an aficiando of anime. But I watch anime as inspiration for my drawings btw...
May 19, 10:23 AM
Hello Everynyan

May 2022
Dungeon Meshi
Bought the first Volume of the manga. Couldn't even get through the first chapter.
Rated the adaptation a 9 out of 10. Trigger cooked.

May 19, 12:23 PM

Jul 2021
Yofukashi no Uta anime, with its beautiful colors, lighting and the soundtrack. I checked out the manga afterwards, and it just wasn't as interesting; at least the art style and character designs were awesome in both cases.

MichaelJackson said:
Anyway, Chainsawman comes to my mind. not a fan of the manga, but fortunatly the anime exists and made me reconsider my opinion on it (despite some lousy cgi here and there)

Huh. For me, Chainsaw Man was a case of the manga being more enjoyable than the anime. While I thought the anime was decent, it didn't hit as hard as the manga; it just wasn't as funny, grotesque and visceral. How did the anime make it better for you?

But I have to say it's one of the rare cases where I read the manga first before watching the anime, so that could've had an effect on me.
May 19, 3:39 PM

Nov 2019
AoT final season anime was a lot well received than the manga. I felt the manga ending was rushed and didn't really hit
May 19, 5:19 PM

Aug 2022
The one example that comes off the top of my head is A Silent Voice.

The movie was one of my first ever anime films, and instantly become one of favorite animated films. That being said though, when I found out that it was based on a manga and not an original film, I got curious. Afterwards, I began to fall into the camp of one who wished it was adapted into a standard one season TV series instead. Not saying the movie is a terrible adaptation. It's just that the manga gave characters who weren't our two main leads some much needed screentime.
May 19, 9:14 PM
Oct 2019
Reading No Game No Life volume 6, Schwi grew on me as a character more than she did in the movie, and I almost felt sad at her death (it probably would've hit harder if I hadn't known it was coming from having already watched the movie like 3 times prior to reading it).

But reading the novel also gave me a greater appreciation of the movie, because even though some stuff was cut for time constraints that would've made the movie even better had it been kept in (like a bit of Tet's narration towards the end), I see how faithful it is, whereas many light novel fans often complain about how their anime adaptations cut or change too much. This really applies to the whole series tbh. We're lucky to have such a good adaptation. If only we could finally get season 2.

Also, I like that they gave Azril a little bit more screentime.

More topics from this board

» Is It Okay to Watch Anime All Day? ( 1 2 )

RedTea33 - May 30

63 by Coaghim »»
5 minutes ago

» Why is fairytail the only Shonen anime that people complain for the power of Friendship when evrey other Shonen anime does.

Lol1268 - 10 hours ago

26 by Merve2Love »»
11 minutes ago

» What is the coolest anime pet?

SgtBateMan - 1 hour ago

7 by Rhae »»
12 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1026 by triggerfish »»
17 minutes ago

» Did you "really" watch a show if you didn't see it in Blu-Ray?

Dragevard - 9 hours ago

20 by FanofAction »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.