Forum Settings
Forums
New
Are 3 episode reviews valid?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 3, 3:57 AM

Feb 2021
Not always, it can improve later, but in general if I don't like the work, I drop it even after the first episode.
MemoreMay 3, 4:05 AM
May 3, 3:12 PM

Jan 2021
I doesn't mean shitt to me, I don't know why people even write those, please stop

I won't be reading them, I don't care about your opinion after 3 episodes

Preliminary reviews are something I don't like, there should be a seperate segment somewhere on the site where people discuss whether to continue watching the series or not, somewhere where people can discuss all the anime currently airing
May 3, 3:39 PM

Dec 2022
As long as there's a disclaimer saying how much the reviewer has seen, sure. The reader can just skip the review if they don't want to read any from people who haven't seen all of it or at least a certain amount of it. There's no reason why people shouldn't be able to still post them for those who are still interested.
May 3, 4:36 PM

Oct 2019
No, as reviewer, even if the start of a show sucks, you need to be seeing that within the context of the entire thing.

If it's an arc? then you can review that specific arc. but not the entire thing.

I mean you could do it. But I have never taken the word of someone who didn't finish a show without a grain of salt.

That said, that is specifically for reviews, if a friend came to me and was like "yeah I watched the first 3 episodes of generic in a generic world and it sucked" I would be like, Oh ok, then I'm not watching it I guess.

But again, a reviewers job is to know fully what they are saying. Why would I read a review if not for that? The whole point of reviews is to either deciding if you should watch it or not, or to get new perspective.

If the reviewer has reviewed like 3 episodes, the what worth is in that, I could just watch that much myself and make up my own mind!
APolygons2May 3, 4:40 PM
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 6, 10:29 AM

Oct 2022
Here's the usual whining about 3 episode rule for this season. We get one every season. And everyone replying as if its not been asked 6000 times already
May 6, 11:21 AM

Jul 2021
Yes, it's valid.

MAL is kind enough to label these as "preliminary," and I can take that into account when I'm reading them. If you don't like it, you can simply filter out preliminary reviews.

If an anime is currently airing, preliminary reviews can be very useful. They can tell me things that promotional material like trailers and synopses cannot and will not tell me straight-up. Of course, the reviewer may be completely off-base, or the show can take a turn for the worse later, but it helps when I'm not sure what this show is or when I'm on the fence about whether to even try it.
May 6, 12:47 PM

Oct 2009
Whilst views from a three-episode review are never going to be as accurate as one who watched the whole show, I believe in most cases you can make a fairly accurate guess on whether a series is dud or potential winner. It is true, this is not universally the case as some shows start slow but show a marked improvement later on whilst the opposite is also true i.e. a series can show early promises but crashes and burns. Those things tend to more exceptions rather than rules. If you have something on the edge, then one can view a few more episodes but I would say if a series has still not gotten good by the halfway mark then that is indicative of poor writing. One should not expect a viewer to hang around for half the shows duration to get a reward.

Overall, I feel preliminary reviews whilst not as good as full reviews can still add value especially if the reviewer can articulate and make good points on the pros and cons of a series. I would also add that if several preliminary reviews remark on the same strength/weakness then that is something to consider when watching the series. Are those strengths/weaknesses likely to impact your enjoyment of the series?
May 6, 12:59 PM
Dec 2021
''Do you think 3-episode reviews are valid?''

No because they aren’t judging the whole thing.

May 6, 1:14 PM
Aug 2021
Only valid review is from a Completed status.
May 6, 1:34 PM
Apr 2020
Ofocures three episoeds are vaild, you dont need to watch whole 12 episodes of trash anime to konw its not good.

Just don't leasen to people that say "after 8 episoed its starting to be good", just stop embarrassing yourself looser.
May 6, 1:41 PM
Jul 2021
All reviews are valid. But for them to be useful to someone else, you need context, which we often do not have, to understand who the reviewer is and from what perspective they are looking at this. It is not that they are "right" or "wrong", it is one person's impression of this particular piece of art.

Sometimes you need just a couple minutes to understand what you are looking at, then you just scroll through a few episodes to confirm that it is what it is and that's it.

This 3 episode rule is lame and stupid. You cannot verify that a person has actually watched 3 episodes. This is impossible.
May 6, 1:42 PM

Oct 2013
Not in most of cases, but they are relevant. If the shwo sucks early on, then it's good to inform people about it. Some folks, like me, might not like the meme argument of "it gets better after ep. 60, trust me bro" when reading brief opinions about a show that they want to watch. The longer the anime, the worse, because it meant to "get better" later, but short anime also fall under this category. Why would I force myself to watch a 12-episodes long series knowing that only its finale is worth watching?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» If there was an organization named "Down with Moe Blobs", would you join them or become their biggest enemy?

Catalano - 23 minutes ago

3 by Kenzolo-folk »»
11 minutes ago

» Do you update your list with the exact day? ( 1 2 )

Pokitaru - May 15

75 by -DxP- »»
11 minutes ago

» Are newcomer edgy anime fans not edgelords but actually normies?

LenRea - Yesterday

31 by Kenzolo-folk »»
14 minutes ago

» Are anime getting worse and worse ? ( 1 2 3 )

Shomix - May 14

106 by Memore »»
15 minutes ago

» What's the meaning behind your MAL username? ( 1 2 )

Gashadokur0 - Yesterday

59 by -DxP- »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.