Forum Settings
Forums

Does it ever annoy you how a lot of series just never seem to end?

New
Apr 29, 4:01 PM
Aug 2013
Trust me, I love a good story. And if there's still a story being told, I don't care if it's long. But I think it's crazy how I've been following some anime and manga for literal decades and they still aren't over.
Apr 29, 4:07 PM

Dec 2021
Nah man, Namihei Isono in Sazae-san still has a good 50 years left to add to his 132 year old age (Not counting the manga). 78 years of air time just isn't enough to finish his life's story!
Daviljoe193Apr 29, 4:11 PM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Apr 29, 4:12 PM

Sep 2018
For some series with infrequent uploads yeah. If the ch get consistent updates I do not mind as much.
Apr 29, 4:19 PM

Mar 2008
No, more so the opposite usually. So many series I think are far too short. But it is annoying if you start watching a show then suddenly you accidentally find yourself into a show that will drag on for a long time. Manga is even worse where that can run for like 40 years then the mangaka dies and never finished lol
Apr 29, 5:15 PM

Aug 2018
It only becomes annoying if I don't like the arc that the anime or manga is currently in.
Apr 29, 5:57 PM

Jul 2021
I'm not annoyed, because I simply don't watch those. And I don't think I ever will, unless I run out of shorter series I can watch instead.

It's one of the reasons why I have not bothered with shounen manga/anime years ago... with the exception of the Fullmetal Alchemist manga. That felt like the right length for me, and I thought the ending wrapped everything up nicely. I did not need it to be longer, and I do not want more of it.
Apr 29, 6:29 PM

Jun 2010
Some anime go on from generation to generation, especially those shows that will catch young viewers. For instance, Pokemon, Doraemon, and even live action shows like Power Rangers, they are still showing on TV. Many of these shows have been evolving with new production as years go by. Additionally, they also have tons of franchises besides their animation/show. It's a profitable business.

A few of the decades long series that I am following are One Piece and Detective Conan, which I think are still very interesting to read and watch.
Apr 29, 6:37 PM

Jul 2013
Yeah, I like One Piece. It isn't any good.
Apr 30, 12:57 AM

Jan 2023
I don't mind a manga going on for many years with a new chapter update every couple of months where that chapter is good and the story is progressing slowly but surely, but I might stop caring about a manga that updates every week for several years but where the story seems to go nowhere.
MeguSae38Apr 30, 1:02 AM
Apr 30, 12:59 AM

Feb 2020
I guess it doesn't really matter, because I don't watch those shows anyway. But yeah, One Piece and Detective Conan are like The Simpsons of the anime world. Too much is too much.

Sometimes I think it would be fun if Yuru Camp would last for 25-30 years without taking any breaks. The girls could literally visit every place in Japan, lol. It's probably the only show I could imagine watching for decades.

SerafosApr 30, 2:01 AM
Apr 30, 1:08 AM

May 2021
Nah Im ok with that. I don't want to see one piece or grand blue ending, nor is baki.
Apr 30, 2:00 AM

Sep 2016
Well, industry needs money so they gotta squeeze the milk out to the last drop.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 30, 3:01 AM

Feb 2024
I typically avoid longer shows, regardless of their quality. Brevity is the soul of wit.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Apr 30, 3:19 AM

Nov 2023
Yeah, it create a lot of uncertainty, like one side wants to quit so I can have more time to do other stuff but on the other Im already soo deep down so I must see the ending
Apr 30, 3:36 AM

Jul 2022
One Piece is notorious for this, one of the biggest reasons I don't think I'll ever start it.
Apr 30, 3:42 AM

Mar 2023
They just love to milk the shit out of very popular anime. It's like a fetish for them at this point.

Apr 30, 4:24 AM

Jul 2016
Would be nice to get an end on Detective Conan but other than that I don't mind a long series.
Apr 30, 4:41 AM

Oct 2019
At this point, I'm used to it.

But as a result of that, it is a HUGE treat when I watch an anime with an ending, specially if the ending is good.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 30, 4:43 AM

Jan 2009
thats why im planning to watch more original anime going forward
Apr 30, 5:55 AM

Jan 2022
I wish LotGH didn't have an ending because it left me depressed and kinda fucked caring about other anime for me.
Apr 30, 10:22 AM

Jun 2016
For genres I find comforting, I like when the manga draws on forever.

Generally though everything is too long these days, either it should go on basically forever to serve as comfort food or it should get to the point in about 20% fewer chapters than it actually ends up taking.
Apr 30, 10:34 AM

Oct 2017
I'd say it annoys me more with Western works like superhero comics since for a lot of characters the "forever story" just has caused way too many problems like with the current disaster going on with Spider-Man in his main comics. At least with a lot of Japanese manga and animation there's a set end goal in mind
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Apr 30, 10:35 AM

Dec 2020
So long as it doesn't go down in quality over time, who cares how long it is.
Apr 30, 11:13 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Detective Conan main story is great with great romance as well. But damn.... I got so tired of their side-stories... and cases became childish over time as well.

One Piece keeps giving me burnout with all the side-characters stories.. I like main squad adventures... but everyone else shenanigans... I just can't be bothered anymore. I still watch it... but yeah.. tiresome.

Think these are only 2 long stories that I have somewhat gotten burn-out of over course of years. Where I do occasionally hiatus of them for few months. (conan I haven't watched over 2 years for sure now)...
May 1, 2:30 AM

Nov 2019
the manga one hurts me but I understand that some stories plan to run on forever. Anime is a different story, having continuous episodes just doesn't feel right and it's harder to make a good long form anime that keeps releasing.
May 2, 10:00 PM

Feb 2018
"A lot of series" is a stretch. Aside from Shonen Jump, I really don't think it's that common lol.

Even in this thread people can only mention One Piece and Detective Conan which are clear outliers.

More topics from this board

» what kind of fashion

arhttr - May 13

10 by Archean-Return »»
2 minutes ago

» Gurren Lagann & KlK creator said "Fanservice in anime is necessary, else humanity will disappear"

Dije - 3 hours ago

22 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
3 minutes ago

» Your longest record/streak ( 1 2 3 )

Yonahim_Zz - May 9

108 by DesuMaiden »»
10 minutes ago

» Why is there a stigma in the anime community towards people who enjoy children anime? Like YuGiOh, Pokemon, PreCure etc. ( 1 2 )

removed-user - May 10

53 by DesuMaiden »»
16 minutes ago

» Ultraman: Rising’s new trailer transforms its titanic hero into a dad

deg - Nov 9, 2023

5 by ryan77999 »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.